Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" - TV/Movies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" (20350 Views)

District 9 Video? / Time Magazine's Depiction Of Nollywood / District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:48pm On Aug 27, 2009
morpheus24:

His english is too good for a Zulu!

Rofl. grin

But how did you catch the other person on the other site.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by igboboy1(m): 5:23am On Aug 28, 2009
fellis:

Why is zulus going to bed now? Is he/she/it tired of shutting us up?
Igbo boy, manny & adaku, una do well. Zulus came here, to a national forum with the intention of shutting all of us up, alone. . .and still thinks he/she/it can tell another person that they sound like a 5yr old.

JUST DOING MY PART " I PLEDGE TO NIGERIA MY COUNTRY TO DEFEND HER UNITY" ESPECIALLY AGAINST EKPA'S LIKE ZULU
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 28, 2009
^way to go. smiley
morpheus, who was the person you caught? I would like to read what he/she posted. . .
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Tweerie: 8:35am On Aug 28, 2009
This is really sad i must say! I have not watched the video, but i have read the review and all the comments on the movie both on nairaland and even facebook. I really do not think we should really get angry at all, although our anger is justified. We are all working to build a better Nigeria and its quite painful and annoying when some people somewhere just trash all our efforts in a movie. Yes! We know we have our issues in Nigeria, but which country doesn't or didn't have at some point? even south Africa hasn't always been where it is now. We grow and get better as days go by, progress is not a bad thing, but when people do not appreciate our progress, then its sad. But let's try (no matter how hard) to ignore the wrong and unfavourable comments made about us Nigeria, if we don't, we may loose focus on trying to build a better nation and start focusing on lashing out anger and insults on our critics, then we begin to prove to them that really, we are all they say we are.

I believe so much in Nigeria and am glad to know Nollywood movies are watched in south Africa, it doesn't matter the caliber of people that watch it, its a step to progress. The movie industry in Nigeria will improve, right now, a lot of people that would have been on the street are engaged in the industry, its a very good start to me. No one has ever gotten something right the first time. I have seen people and what they can do in the movie industry, its just a matter of time.

I love Nigeria so much because i know regardless of what people think or are going to think, we will be a great nation. Fellow Nigerians, Keep believing, leave the critics alone, let's keep our focus on our task; TO BUILD A GREATER NIGERIA!!!! we will get there!!!! Amen. smiley wink
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Feraz(m): 12:17pm On Aug 28, 2009
@tweerie,
i concur. Let's all join hands 2 make our country a better nation.
@igbo boy
ekpa?! Roflmao!! Hapu ewu hausa ahu no anu mbama ka obu.
@zulu,
u no ur problem?: u are just actin lyk d western world hu doesn't mind their own business correcting their mistakes n admitting their fault but poking their nose into others' affairs. Hu said nigerians are not gud pple? All over d world, we have our pple making it. Every country has its gud n bad sides but in order 4 d media 2 get attention, dey promote d bad side more. U guys produce ur own military planes n some other things(dat's d gud about ur country), u guys are known 4 murder n racism(dat's d bad side). Nigeria on d other hand is a country with many cultures which brings about tourism((osun osogbo fest., argungu fest. & asala fest. n many more)dat's d gud side) but corruption is our main problem(dat's d bad side). D guy hu directed d movie y ddnt he use black SAs? Cos he ddnt want 2 offend u guys. 4 him 2 have done dat, dat means he knows wat u guys are capable of. So b4 u lambast a country, go do some research on their gud side b4 drawing a conclusion.

Thanks y'all. M proud 2 b a NIGERIAN!! smiley
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSA(m): 1:18pm On Aug 28, 2009
You know the other day my wife  called me laughing because there was a Nigerian 'movie' called Bafana Bafana on chanell 114 DSTV,I don't know what it was all about,cause I was not interested,but the 'movie' had a nice name grin,I could have watched for Bafana Bafana's sake grin but I am not that brave grin

Nigerians 'movies are a joke,maybe instead of sitting here and defending the very same thing that do the damage to your reputation as a modern/civilised country- what good do you think this 'movies' do to your image as a country?What impression do you give to outside people through your 'movies'?

I will tell you what I think,I think it say Nigerians are backwards,they are atleast 30 years behind time.It's not about a storylines but the whole productions,it's amateurish,it's cheap,lack credebility,lack creativity,it's say Nigerians are lazy thinkers.

Do you have action,thrillers,horror,Sci-fi or comedy movies? or you have all in one type of movies?
Maybe that is why you think just the mentioning of Nigeria as charectors in a movie will do harm to your nation's image,because all  your homemade vidios are based on some of your own people,greed,witchcraft,corrupt priest/pastors and leaders.

I am happy that we(South Africans) are wise enough to know that there is a fiction and there are true stories,but it's our choice to believe in what we want.District 9 is a beautiful movie,that is putting SA in the map again for all possitive reason.Giant of Africa is in South . grin
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2009
District 9 isnt a SA movie

It's a movie by peter Jackson who is a Kiwi.

so get over yourself.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Feraz(m): 2:59pm On Aug 28, 2009
@rsa,
go n watch "the senator" n "broad day light". How cud i 4gt what about amazing grace, ijele, a cry for help? V u watchd it? These are reality movies, things that happen. How many african countries have u seen producing sci-fic movies?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSA(m): 3:42pm On Aug 28, 2009
Feraz:

@rsa,
go n watch "the senator" n "broad day light". How cud i 4gt what about amazing grace, ijele, a cry for help? V u watchd it? These are reality movies, things that happen. How many african countries have u seen producing sci-fic movies?

I really hope to do that,that's my wish,to see a well produced modern movie from Nigerian Film Industry-NFI.
Regarding the sci-fi movies in Africa,do you mean Africans can't do it or they don't like it?I say we love sci-fi movies in Africa,and we should also create our own that can rival the best inthe world.Just because w're Africans doen't mean we have to set our standard too low,lets compete with the best in the field even if we come last we would take solace in knowing that we are beaten by the best and we are part of them and we can improve,and there is a hope.
Don't come with a cheap lazy product just because it's African,meaning it's a third world product.Naija must lead the way,not take us back,you said you're leaders lead then.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by morpheus24: 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2009
RSA:

I really hope to do that,that's my wish,to see a well produced modern movie from Nigerian Film Industry-NFI.
Regarding the sci-fi movies in Africa,do you mean Africans can't do it or they don't like it?I say we love sci-fi movies in Africa,and we should also create our own that can rival the best inthe world.Just because w're Africans doen't mean we have to set our standard too low,lets compete with the best in the field even if we come last we would take solace in knowing that we are beaten by the best and we are part of them and we can improve,and there is a hope.
Don't come with a cheap lazy product just because it's African,meaning it's a third world product.Naija must lead the way,not take us back,you said you're leaders lead then.

I don't ahve any beaf with that statment. Competition is good amongst Africans cept when it gets violent.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Afriq: 6:13pm On Aug 28, 2009
morpheus24:

I don't have any beaf with that statment. Competition is good amongst Africans cept when it gets violent.

You know Nigerians hold some of the top positions internationally. I really do think they can step it up in movies - the money is there just a lack of support for the arts. You have to do it no one else will esp if they have nothing to gain from it.

I have to say though the depiction of Nigerians in D-9 was awful. I am not Nigerian, I'm African but the movie left me with such a sour taste in my mouth. I felt like they were making a statement about all Africans. If any African thinks that the portrayal of savagery was pinned on Nigerians alone then you are very ignorant. The Aliens in this movie, though grossly ugly are shown to have more emotion while the Africans lead in xenophobic behavior and cannibalism. Yes MNU is worse - but they are more "civilized."

The producer should have been more sensitive. He just resurrected a whole bunch of negative imagery and stereotypes that we are still fighting. Nigerians can lead the outcry because their name is officially out there, but other Africans need to be protest too.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by adaku123(f): 6:47pm On Aug 28, 2009
Afriq:

If any African thinks that the portrayal of savagery was pinned on Nigerians alone then you are very ignorant. The Aliens in this movie, though grossly ugly are shown to have more emotion while the Africans lead in xenophobic behavior and cannibalism.

Nigerians can lead the outcry because their name is officially out there, but other Africans need to be protest too.

You have pointed out what most african people in general are missing!! Nigeria is the most populous ''black '' country in the world and with one in every four black people coming from nigeria!!!

Therefore we have the right to be a representative of africa!!! Thus for district 9 to boldly insult and resurrect past problems Nigeria as well as most african nations have suffered is a massive slap to every true african!!

Nigeria has like what 250 ethnic groups, which other country can or has survived in the face of this much diversity coupled with opposing religions!! NOne !!!

We have tried and are still trying>> I believe we will recieve our international status at some point!!!! Instead of people complaining--- they should get an education and experience then come and help the country!!!There are many countries such as liberia and sierra leone which wouldnt probably exist if not for Nigeria,
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Zulus: 8:08pm On Aug 28, 2009
adaku123

There you go running your mouths again. From your warp logic I should take it if Nigerians are crooks and corrupt then the world should view Africans as crooks, right? Wrong. Your huge population does not make you anything!! It does not confer any status on you in Africa.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 8:32pm On Aug 28, 2009
@ ThiefOfHearts, there's so much foreign collaboration in the movie that it's safe to say it's not an original, 100% South African film. It's just so galling that these so-called South Africans are so proud of it that they're using the film to buttress whatever hatred/jealousy/distrust they've always harboured for their fellow Africans (Nigerians).
No one is seeing the damage it's going to cause on a whole for every black African. Just wait and see. Soon it would be their turn. I won't put it past some American producer to make a film soon with disparaging scenes about South Africans. No one country in Africa has a snow-white reputation. It's just that, it's in fashion to bash Nigerians. For now.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Feraz(m): 8:46pm On Aug 28, 2009
@zulus
what are we trying 2 say?! We're are saying dat depicting a whole country not even part of it as cannibals was awful. Y'all are trying 2 b like oprah winfrey hu depicted 9gerians as crooks n fraudsters as if we are worse off dan d western world. If he wanted 2 use 9geria, he should have at least left some clues for d viewers 2 figure out d country he was pointing his fingers at rather than making direct references. Y 9geria, y not d black race of ur country(pls, answer this question)?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Zulus: 8:59pm On Aug 28, 2009
Feraz,

A few bad nuts can spoil the lot like they say. You have some bad ass fraudsters and crooks who literally take scam artistry to a different level; those are the bad nuts you should be angry at and not Oprah. If you think it’s cool too and make Nigerians look smart like most of you claim, then be my guest.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Feraz(m): 9:05pm On Aug 28, 2009
U didn't reply my question? Zulus
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by morpheus24: 9:27pm On Aug 28, 2009
Zulus:

adaku123

There you go running your mouths again. From your warp logic I should take it if Nigerians are crooks and corrupt then the world should view Africans as crooks, right? Wrong. Your huge population does not make you anything!! It does not confer any status on you in Africa.

It does however give better oddds if we were to get into a fight with the zulu's.

don't you think?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Zulus: 9:35pm On Aug 28, 2009
morpheus24

Maybe, but then war strategy also counts. grin
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by adaku123(f): 9:50pm On Aug 28, 2009
Zulus:

adaku123

Zulu!! Zulu!! ZUlu !! U are a real clown!!! Do you think i am going to argue with you about the strengths and weakness of nigeria with someone whose intellect is rivalled by only garden tools!!  U talk about me having a warped logic!! LOL!!! I cant believe you can use that argument when the president of your country--- rofl---who represents your country --- raped slept with a girl who was publicly known to be HIV positive without a condom and thought it was alright since he showered after!! 

This same man when asked about pregnancy in South African teenagers said the solution was to confiscate their babies and have the mothers taken to colleges and forced to obtain degrees,  grin grin grin grin grin

He is as sharp as a bowling ball but he leads your country!!! Yet you are here to insult nigerians!!! 

A country were prisoners go on strike!! grin grin grin grin

I can go on about the weaknesses of your country but what do i gain?  Nothing but laffs

A country with so many problems does not have the right to point fingers at another!! Its like a blind man laughing at another man because he is blind!!! Difference is we are working on ours while you are laughing!! Who is the idiot??

I suggest you leave this forum or stop referring to me because i refuse to argue with a man/woman who came to a battle of wits unarmed !!! Go away Zulus

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by theviper1: 10:08pm On Aug 28, 2009
@zulus,i wish to hell that u should shut ur yap up and think with the head.south africans are known wicked and savage pple,even among themselves. are u familiar with the empangeni taxi rank fights? those ak47 and hand granade fights that leaves atleast 200-300 pple dead each time it occurs( and it occurs very often),that place is not lagos.what of the joburg fights.south african were sheltered by their neighbouring brothers during their very hard and ugly times (never mind nigerians),bt today what are u pple doing to ur neighbours?,, accusing them of taking ur jobs and killing the same pple that kept ur lazy asses alive.what a shame.so u will not find anything wrong in south africans depicting nigerians as cannibals. good news!no armed robberies and killings in sa,no aids in sa,no drug sellers or fraudsters that are south africans.bad news! nigerians saw all these crimes on ground when they came and they simply joined up.the ritual killings for mutu in kwazulu natal was brought to them by nigerians. u are simply incredible lol!.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Borat1: 10:17pm On Aug 28, 2009
Ok. . . So its now officially a Nigeria vs RSA Bashing Thread? sad
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Zulus: 10:22pm On Aug 28, 2009
the Viper

What is wrong in speaking the truth? Read this: shocked

http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/nigeria.html
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Feraz(m): 10:41pm On Aug 28, 2009
@zulus,
y r u blowing my question off? Y didn't neil use d black race of ur country rather than use a country which doesn't practice cannibalism?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by adaku123(f): 10:43pm On Aug 28, 2009
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Zulus: 11:27pm On Aug 28, 2009
adaku123

These are isolated cases. Your case is a way of life. You even have ways of making the meat juicy by using palm oil. shocked
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Feraz(m): 11:30pm On Aug 28, 2009
Adaku123, thank u 4 dat site. Wat do u have 2 say about dat? Zulus
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Feraz(m): 11:42pm On Aug 28, 2009
Can u hear urself zulus? Isolated cases? Ours is a way of life?

HA! I LAFF IN ZULU!

Sodomy(which is legalized in ur country), witchcraft, zoophilia(in which pple are trying 2 legalize) n cannibalism r dey not ways of life in SA(no hard feelings, i don't h8 ur country)?

HAHEHIHOHU!! I LAFF IN DIFF. LANGUAGES!!!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by manny4life(m): 1:57am On Aug 29, 2009
@ Zulus, don't u think its time you give up your fight? Feraz ask you a question about the producer, yet you have not been able to produce a conclusive answer. The only reason why you criticize Nigeria is because RSA sees Nigeria as not only a African threat, but on a global environment. Where was RSA when

1. Nigeria was called upon to be host nation of the African Central Bank/ Monetary Fund.
2. Nigeria was called upon by the UN to represent Africa in whole in almost all their councils including the most renowned U.N. Security Council
3. Nigeria was called upon by the World Bank Group (WBG) as an Emerging Leader to lead Africa on their Socio-economic activities. Lest we forget Nigerians represent Africa at the WBG including Mrs Iweala who is a managing Director of WBG; second in command to Dr. Zoelich; President WBG.
4. Nigeria was recognised in their Militiary and peacekeeping mission efforts to other parts of Africa.

Should I continue to list am sure you will find it interesting. Did I forget to say that Nigerians are highly intellectual and it would be safe to say that at least 2 out of 5 Africans, Nigerians hold top Regional and International positions. Don't make me start listing them out for you.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by soloqy: 4:32am On Aug 29, 2009
@zulus

Don't you know when to quit the nonsense?

Yours has become a childish bickering and am sure the other south africans that have made comments on this thread, have become embarrassed for your sake. This was never a SA vs Nigeria 'mine is better than yours' thread.

You have so reduced it to that.

Get a life dude.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by smokie(m): 8:54am On Aug 29, 2009
Watched the movie last night with friends of mine, people who won't usually go to see a sci-fi flick and they pretty much enjoyed it.
There's lots of funny dialogue that only South Africans will get, its pretty much a parody of so many social issues happening in South Africa today amongst them xenophobia and court-sanctioned removals of shack settlements to the outer reaches of our cities, its almost like a war on the poor.
The "Nigerians" in the movie were actually not from the West African country, they even spoke Zulu which was funny, the main gangster for instance spoke a language which is more familiar to Malawians.
So sorry to Nigerians who feel hard-done by the movie. They could've used Somalians and no-one would've taken any offence.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by theviper1: 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2009
@zulus,what truth did u tell me or nigerians cos i havent read any meaningful or sensible contribution from you other than posting that site.i have told u a zillion evils that are permanent ways of life in south africa cos i have lived with u in ur land.iam the viper and i bite on hard truths.this forum is not about nigeria vs south africa - who is better.it is about ur wicked ways and hatred for other africans.let me drop more facts for u cos according to Hawthrone "no one can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude without being bewildered whic one is true". this is very true of south africans and their AFRICAN RENAISSANCE AND AFRICAN CENTURY BULLSHIT.it shows that they are talking with both sides of their smelly mouths. with one side they are about african century while with the other side,they are slaughtering fellow africans senselessly right in their backyard.Olividale hospital in Randburg almost refused to treat me when i had a knife cut while cooking,they were refering me to joburg general hospital cos of my colour and belief that i couldnt afford the payment.(cos the only black pple u see around olivedale are househelps and gardeners).these are what blacks go through in sa and yet instead of being angry with the whites,they pounce on their fellow hapless black brothers. not surprising though,there used to be black-on-black violence there.i was only treated when my partner came and dropped 5000usd as deposit cos i went without money as was bleeding like a pig and the hospital was just a stone throw from our house.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Uriel Wants Ilebaye To Win BBNaija All Stars Grand Prize / Why Do Most Guys Watch Cartoon? / My First Time In A Cinema

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.