Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,530 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective (15380 Views)

My Life As A Teacher. / Reasons Why The Best Time To Train As A Nurse Is Now! / Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 16, 2016
I had never considered dying until I
became a nurse. I had no idea what
to expect when I signed up to start
my nurse training. However, talking
to people who were about to die
taught me a huge amount, as did
some of the stereotypes that went
with being a man working as a
nurse.

Being a “Male Nurse”

It has never ceased to fascinate me
that of all people from all
professions, nursing appears to be
the only one where people feel the
need to point out what sex you are
if you’re a man. When I told people
I was a nurse many people used to
say to me, “Oh, you’re a male
nurse!”
If you were addressing a teacher,
solicitor, mechanic or secretary, for
example, would you say, “Oh,
you’re a male or female solicitor?”
Most people would not. Yet, for
some reason, being a male within
the nursing profession often
prompts people to clarify that you
are, in fact, still a man!

From Hospital to Hollywood
I once ended up in the audience of
“Family Feud,” which I happened to
find myself at during a trip to LA
several years ago. When I
volunteered for the interval game
where the audience got involved, I
had no idea what I was getting
myself into.

Our ever-smiling host lined up five
of us and told us that we would be
playing pass the pizza. If you
happened to be holding the pizza
base -- which was passed
amongst us -- when the music
stopped, you had a bucket of pizza
toppings poured over your head.
“What do you do for a living?” I was
asked. I told our smiling presenter
that I was a nurse.
“Oh, you’re a male nurse!” was our
host’s reply. At this point I put my
hand down my trousers as if to
check and answered, “Yes, I still
am.”

It Can Sometimes End Up in a Mess
Although this gained me a few
laughs from the crowd and fellow
contestants, it also ensured that I
was the first person holding the
pizza base when the music
stopped. I was subsequently
covered with “the works.”

Throughout my nursing career,
which spanned 13 years and 3
continents, I found being male was
an advantage. Yes, it did mean I
was generally the first to be called if
lifting needed to be done or
potential trouble was starting; but it
taught me to be very good in
explaining things simply and
negotiating with people, who were
sometimes psychotic.

Other Advantages to Being a Nurse
and a Man
The most obvious thing became
very apparent, very quickly, is the
large ratio of women to men in the
profession. When I trained there
were 100 people in our set, 20 of
which were men, eight of who were
gay.
This meant, in practical terms, that
I received a lot of female attention
in the nurses’ home. For someone
who was very shy and didn’t
previously have much luck with
ladies, this was a very liberating
experience that did wonders for my
self-confidence.

As a man and a nurse it is part of
the package to have your sexuality
questioned regularly. This will either
make you or break you as a
character and set you up well in
life.
It teaches core skills like
empathy, diplomacy and
discernment, whilst ensuring that
you will gain a range of life
experiences that will set you up well
for the rest of your life.
It is only through nursing the dying
that I really started living.

http://www.nursingworldnigeria.com/2013/02/life-as-a-nurse-ndash-the-male-perspective

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Nobody: 6:43am On May 17, 2016
I can relate. One of the challenges of being a man being is nurse is the stereotype. Even people whom you think are educated still get caught in the stereotype. But in all, nursing is a largely frustrating career path in Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by gift01: 6:45am On May 17, 2016
Truth is Nurses are expected to be friendlier and more patient. These qualities you hardly find in masculinity except in rare cases. My uncle Austin was a Nurse. His only downside was he gave killer injection- the ones that would make you not walk for days

12 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Nobody: 6:52am On May 17, 2016
OP,so you are a MALE nurse grin

2 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Cocaiine(m): 6:52am On May 17, 2016
Sorry Op.
People can be annoying with their unwarranted questions and observations.
Nothing is wrong with being a male nurse, infact I have seen a number of male nurses that carried out their jobs more diligently and accurately than their fellow female nurses in the same establishment.

2 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by VivaDeAngelo(m): 6:52am On May 17, 2016
So you are a male nurse?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by egwekwe: 6:54am On May 17, 2016
But you enjoyed the attention of the female nurse.

Op,when are you coming back to share us your sexcapades as a nurse? I'm pretty sure many of us can't wait to read that.

6 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by victorazy(m): 6:54am On May 17, 2016
Ok
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Vpleasure(m): 6:55am On May 17, 2016
Lemme book space
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Amiee99(f): 6:57am On May 17, 2016
I remember back then in primary school, they asked "what does your dad do?"
I said my dad is a nurse. See laugh.
I started doubting myself.
Even educated people still don't believe a man can be a nurse.

16 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by TheSunSon: 7:00am On May 17, 2016
You are passionate and fulfilled with what you do,that's the pathway to true success,that's what matter the most,forget the stereotype,most of them aren't even happy people.

1 Like

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by yinkakani(m): 7:00am On May 17, 2016
[size=20pt]space for sale lipsrsealed[/size]
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by kelechiodo(m): 7:00am On May 17, 2016
Nurse has to do with tender and soft care. Nurse = pamper with soft heart and hand. These are attributes associated with female gender. As a 'male' nurse, even the hospital authority knows your gender strength. That's why you're called to lift heavy loads and handle trouble makers. Opposite of male nurse is female engineer esp mechanical as females are hardly associated with ruggedness and stain on clothe

8 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by utenwuson: 7:03am On May 17, 2016
na d injection path I wan hear, u go d touch bum bum wen u inject female patients.......pressss am mk ie no form abscess
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by TempUser: 7:08am On May 17, 2016
OP is a MURSE grin

9 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Nobody: 7:09am On May 17, 2016
male nurses be seeing different types of nyash everyday when giving injections

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by JuanJO(m): 7:15am On May 17, 2016
how far the other side? u go be king among them, had dat nurses love sex
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by SAMBARRY: 7:18am On May 17, 2016
grin cheesy grin
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by wkkwl: 7:19am On May 17, 2016
#MaleNursesRock

3 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by anonym0us: 7:23am On May 17, 2016
Enjoyment
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by mikeyung71(m): 7:24am On May 17, 2016
I'm a male nurse too sometimes it use to be frustrating sometimes facilitating sometimes scary sometimes funny.. In all its a female profession!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by bbulldog(m): 7:35am On May 17, 2016
I have warned all my family members that_ no matter the condition will they plan to date or marry a nurse, police officer , inshort any profession that includes shift type of working hour. I am not sorry to say that most nurses are highly frivolous, which is passed on to their children. I know people here will want to have my head because of this. But if you people can sit down to think and look around, you will find out about their lifestyles.
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Nobody: 7:39am On May 17, 2016
hmm
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Kufie(m): 7:39am On May 17, 2016
I had never considered dying until I became a nurse. I had no idea what to expect when I signed up to start my nurse training. However, talking to people who were about to die taught me a huge amount, as did some of the stereotypes that went with being a man working as a nurse.

Being a “Male Nurse”

It has never ceased to fascinate me that of all people from all professions, nursing appears to be the only one where people feel the need to point out what sex you are if you’re a man. When I told people I was a nurse many people used to say to me, “Oh, you’re a male nurse!”
If you were addressing a teacher, solicitor, mechanic or secretary, for example, would you say, “Oh, you’re a male or female solicitor?” Most people would not. Yet, for some reason, being a male within the nursing profession often prompts people to clarify that you are, in fact, still a man!

From Hospital to Hollywood I once ended up in the audience of “Family Feud,” which I happened to find myself at during a trip to LA several years ago. When I volunteered for the interval game where the audience got involved, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Our ever-smiling host lined up five of us and told us that we would be playing pass the pizza. If you happened to be holding the pizza base -- which was passed amongst us -- when the music stopped, you had a bucket of pizza toppings poured over your head.
“What do you do for a living?” I was asked. I told our smiling presenter that I was a nurse. “Oh, you’re a male nurse!” was our host’s reply. At this point I put my hand down my trousers as if to check and answered, “Yes, I still am.”

It Can Sometimes End Up in a Mess. Although this gained me a few laughs from the crowd and fellow contestants, it also ensured that I was the first person holding the pizza base when the music stopped. I was subsequently covered with “the works.”

Throughout my nursing career, which spanned 13 years and 3 continents, I found being male was an advantage. Yes, it did mean I was generally the first to be called if lifting needed to be done or potential trouble was starting; but it taught me to be very good in
explaining things simply and negotiating with people, who were sometimes psychotic.

Other Advantages to Being a Nurse and a Man
The most obvious thing became very apparent, very quickly, is the large ratio of women to men in the profession. When I trained there were 100 people in our set, 20 of which were men, eight of who were gay. This meant, in practical terms, that I received a lot of female attention in the nurses’ home. For someone who was very shy and didn’t previously have much luck with ladies, this was a very liberating experience that did wonders for my self-confidence.

As a man and a nurse it is part of the package to have your sexuality questioned regularly. This will either make you or break you as a character and set you up well in life. It teaches core skills like empathy, diplomacy and discernment, whilst ensuring that you will gain a range of life experiences that will set you up well for the rest of your life. It is only through nursing the dying that I really started living.

Easier to read this way

2 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Kufie(m): 7:40am On May 17, 2016
yinkakani:
[size=20pt]space for sale lipsrsealed[/size]

How much?

1 Like

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by winnky85(m): 7:44am On May 17, 2016
bbulldog:
I have warned all my family members that_ no matter the condition will they plan to date or marry a nurse, police officer , inshort any profession that includes shift type of working hour. I am not sorry to say that most nurses are highly frivolous, which is passed on to their children. I know people here will want to have my head because of this. But if you people can sit down to think and look around, you will find out about their lifestyles.
U are indeed a bulldog....

5 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Cerebrae(m): 7:45am On May 17, 2016
Am proud to be a male nurse

2 Likes

Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by spartacuz: 7:48am On May 17, 2016
Op go don bleep taya, choi
Re: Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective by Lexusgs430: 8:00am On May 17, 2016
The perception is based on the notion that Nursing, was a career dominated by the feminine gender.
Things are changing now, but does still not halt the notion that certain feminine patients, would never want a male nurse dealing with their personal care needs, but male patients never reject female nurses!!!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Ways To Invest In Yourself / What You Are Doing Now Vs What You Would Have Loved To Do. / How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.