Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,064 members, 7,814,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike (24200 Views)

Electricity Workers Threaten Strike, Nationwide Power Outage Looms / Ajaero’s NLC Faction Backs Out Of Strike / Electricity Workers Suspend Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by ijustdey: 7:17am On May 17, 2016
By Micheal Oche

The leadership crisis rocking the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) yesterday manifested itself as the Joe Ajaero faction of the NLC insisted that it would not join the Comrade Ayuba Wabba-led NLC to embark on the strike planned for tomorrow.

Also, the federal government has insisted that there is no option to the increment of the pump price of fuel.
Yesterday, stakeholders in the Labour sector, including the governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole, and other government officials were locked in a meeting at the office of the secretary to the government of the federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal.

The meeting, which was summoned at the instance of the SGF, was being held to avert the proposed nationwide strike by the NLC and the TUC scheduled for Wednesday, May 18, 2016.

However a mild drama played out as the general secretary of the Nigeria Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), Joe Ajaero, and the president National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Igwe Achese, both of whom are president and deputy president of the rival NLC faction, were locked out of the meeting.

Speaking during the opening session, both the SGF, Babachir Lawal, and the minister of state for petroleum, Dr Ibe Kachikwu, insisted that the new price increment would remain, saying there was no other option to the hike.

Speaking to journalists outside, NUPENG president, Achese, said oil and bank workers, who are part of his faction, would not be joining the strike on tomorrow.

The meeting, which kicked off at about 6:30pm, had in attendance the NLC president, Ayuba Wabba; TUC president, Bobboi Bala Kiagama; NLC general secretary, Peter Ozo-Eson, and TUC acting general secretary, Simeso Amachree, among others.

The president of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN),Olabode Johnson, was on the Labour side.

On the government side was minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige; the SGF, Babachir Lawal; minister of state for petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu; minister of solid minerals, Kayode Fayemi and Edo State governor, Adams Oshiomhole

LEADERSHIP gathered that Governor Oshiomhole had earlier met with the vice president, Yemi Osinbajo, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, possibly to harmonise federal government’s position before they went for the closed-door meeting at the SGF’s office.

At the time of filing this report the meeting was ongoing, but it was not clear whether the NLC would present a common position before the federal government, especially as the factional president, Joe Ajaero, was also at the venue of the meeting.

NUPENG and PENGASSAN, two prominent unions within the oil industry, had earlier endorsed the deregulation policy of the federal government which caused a sharp increase in the price of fuel from N86.50 to N145 per litre.

Speaking outside the meeting, Comrade Ajaero said his group would not be joining the strike on Wednesday, adding that his faction would also be meeting with the federal government’s team immediately after the meeting with the Wabba faction.

http://leadership.ng/news/527503/oil-electricity-workers-opt-strike

2 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Edwinmason(m): 7:21am On May 17, 2016
why would i want to strike when nlc are doing it for their own selfish reason.........mtcheew

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by madridguy(m): 7:22am On May 17, 2016
Interesting.
Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by TRADELYN: 7:26am On May 17, 2016
Let's get Nigerians' views...

Like if you are in support of the strike.
Share if you are not.

54 Likes 211 Shares

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by seunmsg(m): 7:28am On May 17, 2016
It's obvious this strike won't be effective if NLC and TUC goes ahead with it as planned. The labour movement is already divided to enforce any effective nationwide strike.

NLC should just use this opportunity to get the much talked about minimum wage increase and other palliative that can be negotiated and forget about the strike that won't yield any positive outcome.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by omenka(m): 7:31am On May 17, 2016
Fail...
Omenka isn't going on strike either. cheesy

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by teekay213(m): 7:32am On May 17, 2016
May God help us in this country.

7 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by IVORY2009(m): 7:39am On May 17, 2016
omenka:
Fail...

Omenka isn't going on strike either. cheesy

You strike or u nor strike oooo, you are not useful to the economy!

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Nobody: 7:40am On May 17, 2016
good development
Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Nobody: 7:42am On May 17, 2016
Not in support of the strike either.

Like some nairalander accused me and my family. I therefore rephrase. " I and my family are not in support of the strike"

9 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Babzrockman: 7:43am On May 17, 2016
I doubt the sincerity of this proposed strike. Majority of Nigerians have supported the removal of subsidy. So no point going for unnecessary. because it is d poor masses that would suffer d bad effects of the strike.
Queue has disappeared in filing stations. When d fuel was said to b sold at #86.50, the product was very scarce and the few available ones were been sold at more than #200.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Pavore9: 7:45am On May 17, 2016
With such splits, the strike will not be effective.
Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by malton: 8:39am On May 17, 2016
The NLC is on it's own on this one.

The only thing they know how is strike.

They'll never pick on employers who dehumanise employees as though they are lesser human beings nor address injustices in the work place.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by bettercreature(m): 10:48am On May 17, 2016
Are this people saying PHCN is not already on strike?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Chanchit: 10:49am On May 17, 2016
this useless nlc shouting strike upandan at the end ofthe day, they would collect millions from govt then tell us the strike is over when we don suffer finish.
as i dey so i no ready for any yeye strike o.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Nobody: 10:49am On May 17, 2016
Great
Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Nobody: 10:50am On May 17, 2016
Sai Buhari grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by ACHIEVERBA: 10:50am On May 17, 2016
NIGERIANS HAS ACTUALLY LOST FAITH IN THE NLC.......THEY CAN GO TO HELL WITH THEIR STRIKE.

12 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Nobody: 10:51am On May 17, 2016
Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by GodpunishBuhari: 10:51am On May 17, 2016
IVORY2009:

You strike or u nor strike oooo, you are not useful to the economy!

2 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Nobody: 10:51am On May 17, 2016
Oil & Electricity!

I dey laugh o

I op Water Corporatn wud join sha grin

3 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by elitebliss(f): 10:51am On May 17, 2016
Nlc don't need them.let the strike begins.am tired of work.lol

4 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by bringbackourGEJ: 10:52am On May 17, 2016
Keep wasting your time. They must reduce the price by force.

2 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by hmuhammad(m): 10:52am On May 17, 2016
Nice one from electricity and oil workers, keep disappointing the wailers. HBP is real ekpas

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Nobody: 10:52am On May 17, 2016
A day will come when we will see things in a plain way. When GEJ did this Nigerians wanted to kill him.

A day will come when PMB jazz won't work again on Nigerians. You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time

12 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by kingthreat(m): 10:53am On May 17, 2016
Abeg make labour park one side. Strike wil only make thibgs worse for the common man who needs to hustle daily to make money.

1 Like

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by Nobody: 10:53am On May 17, 2016
Electricity workers opt out of tomorrow's strike?

Like people would suffer lack of electricity if they were part of it.

3 Likes

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by repogirl(f): 10:53am On May 17, 2016
Ummm...even though I am against the reasons for the strike, any move that opposes the opposition is fine by me!!!! cheesy cheesy

SAI NLC
LETS GO DIA!!!!

The poster above sha.... undecided

1 Like

Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by VocalWalls: 10:53am On May 17, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by ALAYORMII: 10:53am On May 17, 2016
As for Mii and my household we are not going on any ill advised strike
Re: Oil, Electricity Workers Opt Out Of Strike by neolboy(m): 10:53am On May 17, 2016
So far electricity is available

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Soldiers Wounded As Troops Raid Oil Bunkering Site In Rivers State. Photos / Again, EFCC Moves Against Bukola Saraki / Reno Omokri: Tinubu & Osinbajo, Only Southern Candidates Recognized In The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.