Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy (21297 Views)

Ijaws Are Ogogoro Sellers Who Migrated From Bayelsa - Dan Owegie, APC Chieftain / Ijaws Are Not Biafrans - Ijaw Youth Council Worldwide / James Ibori Received By Bayelsans As He Arrives For Condolence Visit (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:58am On May 19, 2016
db8701:
I concur.. We are actually lazy people. But I blame the large part of this to our leaders, but present and previous. They do not teach and promote the rewards of hardwork and education but reather empower and give face 2 thuggery. The present govenor is nor exempted from this act, he's also lazy. What would u call a gov that gives appointments 2 thugs because dey helped in d past elections. Monies from federal govt 4 sme's were hijacked by d govt. When job vacancies, programs and scholaships that are avaliable they give them 2 their lazy brothers and sisters and not the serious and qualified youths, d list goes on and on. I know youths like maself that's are creative and hardworking, not all of us are thugs and militants. Thou I know we need more education and exposure.
Bless You Boss
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by peacecoy: 9:00am On May 19, 2016
U235weapongrade:
When governor say him pipo lazy,hu are we to judge??

Barca abi Madrid it's laziness ohh..
Imagine some1 way no go skool, due to the fact that a company is in his community, he wud be given a job, no Mata how small..

In 2 -3 months dat guy is back to the streets collecting 50 naira from keke drivers...

Wen u ask him,wetin happen - my guy,i no fit dey call person sir/oga... The charge of laziness against people from that axis is not new.I hate generalization for I have come across a number of good hardworking and intelligent ijaw and related tribes. The point is once you pay visit to that area you will most likely come back with the 'lazy people' impression.

WTF
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by silverspringle(f): 9:03am On May 19, 2016
My best ND state is Akwa Ibom-uyo. You wont even know its a ND state...very peaceful and accomodating but still they get d highest allocation of all the ND.All thanks to Akpabio, he made that state what they are today. Bayelsa nd Rivers should take a clue from them, though they ve their own wahala o but which state doesnt ve anyway

1 Like

Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:04am On May 19, 2016
crazymod:

It is a known fact that Ijaws are lazy.
1. How many of ijaws own shop or Business compare to other minority tribes?
2. How many Ijaws are registered owners of oil rig at their backyard?
3. How many Ijaws can survive without govt. help?
4. How many Ijaws struggling for a living in abroad? excluding the ones studying abroad.

5. Ijaw youths believes in militancy to be rich while the Edo youths believe in uptown. (abroad)
6. Igbos youths believes in business ventures while Ijaw youths believes in igbesu and destruction.

7. more than 2/3 of the population of Ijaw youths including Tony Barcanista are on govt. payroll for doing nothing.
8. Name one heavy-weight prominent Ijaw man apart from Jonathan and Alamieyeseigha?

9. IJAWS STARTED KIDNAPPING IN NIGERIA .
10. IJAWS INVENTED "JOB TRADE" IN NIGERIA. they prefer to sell their job opportunities than being employed.

WITH THESE AND OTHER POINTS, I HOPE I AM ABLE TO CONVINCE YOU THAT IJAWS ARE FANTASTICALLY LAZY.

Mister man please don't insult me. I don't depend on free govt/IOC/community handout. I have NEVER benefited.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by silverspringle(f): 9:04am On May 19, 2016
silverspringle:
My best ND state is Akwa Ibom-uyo. You wont even know its a ND state...very peaceful and accomodating but still they get d highest allocation of all the ND.All thanks to Akpabio, he made that state what they are today. Bayelsa nd Rivers should take a clue from them, though they ve their own wahala o but which state doesnt ve anyway
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:08am On May 19, 2016
naijadeyhia:

MY BROTHER I JUST LEFT THE HOME OF A STUPENDOUSLY LAZY IJAW MAN. SITTING AT HOME AND BUILDING CASTLES IN THE AIR.
Brother this is evil
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Unwaeno: 9:11am On May 19, 2016
Not all Niger deltans are lazy even though we cant rule that out. I'm a Niger deltan from Akwa Ibom, a graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering (Power and Machines option) at Distinction level from one of the Federal Polytechnics in the country. I have been going about looking for work in the companies operating in the region but to my amazement, most times they'll ask you who you know inside and who asked you to come. They keep bringing their tribesmen and relatives to fill vacancies. I have applied in several places yet not even a call for interview.
Now am I among the ones that is termed lazy? I need a job and I want to work. I'm not lazy!

1 Like

Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:13am On May 19, 2016
silverspringle:
madam hope all is well?
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by crazymod: 9:17am On May 19, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Mister man please don't insult me. I don't depend on free govt/IOC/community handout. I have NEVER benefited.

Bro. i dont believe you. All those PDP youth movement things i see you carry for head, are they free of charge? Your twitter page is more of PDP colors than twitter page of modu sheriff PDP chairman. How come?

You are not a civil servant and you dont have a shop. How do you make a living if not thru political settlement?.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:22am On May 19, 2016
crazymod:

Bro. i dont believe you. All those PDP youth movement things i see you carry for head, are they free of charge? Your twitter page is more of PDP colors than twitter page of modu sheriff PDP chairman. How come?

You are not a civil servant and you dont have a shop. How do you make a living if not thru political settlement?.
*Laughs*

I don't earn through political "settlement" like you may assume. If you want to know how I earn pls send me PM.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by seighabenz(m): 9:43am On May 19, 2016
am no politician so ill try to state the obvious....Bayelsans are no lazy lot as claimed by the the gov.... d simple truth is dat the government has nt created the enabling environment for the average youth to show his worth....der are no jobs coz derz an embargo on recruitment into the civil service.... since the tym of alamco(GOD bless his soul) no scholarship programme have been carried out, no skillz acquisition program instituted. the so-called government has deliberately underdeveloped the youths so that they can exploit them and use them as tools to further their selfish political ambitions......we shldnt be fast to cast aspersions.... the mainstay of the economy is no longer sustainable, this is as a result of of the activities of the oil companies..... as tonye rightly stated, gov at all levels has failed to provide an alternatives to dis negative activities of the oil coy.....the governor has no moral right to brand bayelsans lazy...for over five months he has refused to pay salaries of workers thus adding to the already existing hardship......

1 Like

Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Koladelampard: 12:07pm On May 19, 2016
Mr Tonye Barcanista.... I didnt go through your harangue write up... Let me maken the point clear.... Is served as a youth corps mmber in Bayelsa for a year .... Bayelsans and at large the Ijaws are astronomically Lazy.... They literally wake up in the morning , take kaikai(local gin), look for women or men to sleep with as the case may be ..Thats all... They expect govt to do all for them

1 Like

Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by discusant: 1:35pm On May 19, 2016
Deadlytruth:
I have read this thread and found hypocrisy and double speak running through most comments. The first is that the same people who claim here that Edo is not part of the SS let alone Niger Delta have quickly included Benin City youths and sited examples with them in their assertions that Niger Delta Youths are lazy. I don't know when Edo has suddenly become a Niger Delta State and part of the SS now again. I thought they say Edo is part of Oodua-Arewanistan Republic? So why site examples from it on the so-called SS/Biafra issues now?

Secondly I see comments from Yorubas giving instances of their first hand experience of laziness and work refusal among Ijaws and all SS people. The irony is that Yorubaland is the only part of Nigeria where youths, in the name of agbero, refuse to farm or do any decent and respect inspiring jobs but choose to seek and get the state government's support, approval and protection to harass motorists and extort them of the little profit they make all day, and in turn the motorists hike fares on commuters in order to break even after submitting the cab owner's daily returns. Is that what defines hardwork?
It is also only in Yorubaland that youths refuse to work (despite the countless industries in Lagos and SW generally) but choose to continuously patrol their neighbourhoods looking for a person buying land, building a house, roofing, etc so that they can order the process of negotiation or actual laying of foundation or roof rafters to stop until the person pays them the unconstitutional and illegal Omonile dues, which in some cases go as far as N150,000 before work can continue. I don't know any place in the Niger Delta or SS where that is done.
It is also only Yorubas youths that would, whenever there is traffick gridlock on a major road in Lagos, quickly get a stick or a long bench and place it across the alternative routes the drivers would want to take as bypass, and then illegally start demanding for N50 per driver before they'll remove the bench or stick to allow the driver pass. I have never seen an Ijaw youth degenerate to that level of laziness that inspires him to obstruct flow of traffic when there is no riot or demonstration.
Also, it is only in Yorubaland you'll buy a piece of land and after fully paying for it, you go away to raise funds to develop it and on return you meet someone else on that land telling you that the same Omoniles have sold the same piece of land to him. Is that not duplicity inspired by laziness? I don't know of any Niger Delta area where youths double sell or even triple sell land.
Yorubas were just only lucky to have Awolowo who was far sighted, realistic, principled, tenacious, pragmatic to the extent that he risked going to jail to see that Yorubas quickly got education and a good sense of enlightenment to rapidly develop ahead of all other parts of Nigeria. Why God decided to single out Yorubas for blessing with such a leader is what I have not understood.
Unfortunately we the SS were not so lucky except for having an Enahoro who however was not allowed to lead us (and set us up for better orientation than the one we currently have) in the Midwest area by our other leaders who sheepishly followed Zik in his fraudulent "One-Nigeria" fantasy.
For the Igbos; I have not really lived much among them in the SE to know them deep on first hand basis, but I place the blame of the laziness in Nigeria wholly on them because as at independence we were practising true federalism and resource control whereby each region retained 75% of its earnings to develop itself at its own pace. By that arrangement every people were hardworking and no one waited for federal allocation or other free funds as no region was constitutionally permitted to unduly benefit from another region's resources. So whoever was lazy in his region would die of hunger. That model was working perfectly until one arrogant Igbo Army officer who knew absolutely nothing about governance came and crushed and replaced it with unitary system claiming he was seeking some silly national unity and one-Nigeria inspired in him by that blind and myopic Z[/b]ik. By how much has that rash decision really brought about national unity today in Nigeria?
If Igbos had left Nigeria's federalism as they met it all this laziness in the Niger Delta, SW, North and even SE would never have been known in Nigeria.

In bold above.

Ironsi's unitary govt system is nothing compared to the wholesale unitary govt system in practice today.

In his unitary govt system, Ironsi left 50% as derivation for mineral producing area.

Ironsi left the regional govt system intact, it was more or less like fiscal federalism under Ironsi, he only tried to assume more powers to be able to quench the fire raging in many regions then.

Even at that, how do you bring the whole Igbo into the unarguably unilateral action of a military government - military govt acts unilaterally
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Ngozi123(f): 1:41pm On May 19, 2016
faites:

Bro, their reorientation would be very difficult because they see that oil as a money minting machine, and worse, that they have a right to be fed thru it. They always think, 'why should we work wen we can stay home n get paid. '

A friend of mine who lives in an interior area in PH told me dat during the election, a contestant who was canvassing for votes started repairs on a terribly bad road in d area. The youths came and destroyed the road and chased the workers away, saying they want money not road. That they would never vote the guy cos he is not serious. The politician had to abandon the project.

With people that reason like this, how do u aim to re-orientate them?

Oil has ruined us as a nation; it has wormed itself into the inner core of our psyche and laid its maggots there. Now we have whole regions that are totally dependent on it and feel as though they can't live without it whilst simultaneously believing that everyone else wants to take it from them. It's like the ring in Lord of the Rings.

I still can't believe that some people try to deny that the Biafran War wasn't fought over oil.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by discusant: 1:43pm On May 19, 2016
Koladelampard:
Mr Tonye Barcanista.... I didnt go through your harangue write up... Let me maken the point clear.... Is served as a youth corps mmber in Bayelsa for a year .... Bayelsans and at large the Ijaws are astronomically Lazy.... They literally wake up in the morning , take kaikai(local gin), look for women or men to sleep with as the case may be ..Thats all... They expect govt to do all for them

The best description for the TonyeBarcanisters is this one from an abolitionist: "I freed many slaves, but could have freed more, only if those ones had known that they were slaves." TonyeBarcanister and his likes still view IPOB with suspicion, despite all that is going on.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Ngozi123(f): 1:54pm On May 19, 2016
ralfo85:
All these fools calling Bayelsans in general lazy have not really considered there own plight wherever they may be from.
I know Igbos to be the most Xenophobic shits in the whole of Nigeria. This they demonstrate even when they come to settle in a foreign land. They only employ Igbos... go to Igbo land as a foreign and dare to succeed in their midst, if they won't try to kill you. Yet they come to Bayelsa and our stupid politicians give jobs that well meaning, qualified Bayelsa youths need. Hundreds of thousands of hardworking educated and well qualified Bayelsans are always ignored by the government. You mean nothing to them if you don't use violence and thuggery. Yet someone as stupid as Seriake Dickson who isn't even fit to be governor sits there and spits insults on the great Bayelsa people.
I won't say much different when it comes to Yorubas. You can't even dream of a state government job in a place like Lagos. If it isn't a private business then non-indegenes don't get those jobs.
I know my people Bayelsans to be good, hospitable, and industrious. The thing many Igbos who insult our people may not understand is that we are a higher breed than your kind. We are not meant to serve, we are the ones who are served. Your villages used to be stormed and raided by our warriors where we took your men as slaves and made our pick of your women as wives. Go check our history. It is that Elite spirit in us that tends to make us shy away from manial work, only the very humble among us would succumb to such.

Your mentality is exactly what the governor was talking about. How can your people be too 'important' to do such work, is this not the epitome of laziness? Btw, this is coming from someone that doesn't believe that all, or even most, Bayelsans are lazy.

That Igbos have joined the Niger Delta bashing all goes to prove wrong the recent perception that SS and SE see themselves as brothers. Some of us have always insisted that there are no brothers or sisters in Nigeria, but some others keep dreaming of such brotherhood. However whenever push comes to shove, the "brotherhood" soon unravels.

@Deadlytruth
What are you talking about? You do know that there are Igbos native to the what is the present day South-South, right?

1 Like

Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Ngozi123(f): 2:10pm On May 19, 2016
seighabenz:
am no politician so ill try to state the obvious....Bayelsans are no lazy lot as claimed by the the gov.... d simple truth is dat the government has nt created the enabling environment for the average youth to show his worth....der are no jobs coz derz an embargo on recruitment into the civil service.... since the tym of alamco(GOD bless his soul) no scholarship programme have been carried out, no skillz acquisition program instituted. the so-called government has deliberately underdeveloped the youths so that they can exploit them and use them as tools to further their selfish political ambitions......we shldnt be fast to cast aspersions.... the mainstay of the economy is no longer sustainable, this is as a result of of the activities of the oil companies..... as tonye rightly stated, gov at all levels has failed to provide an alternatives to dis negative activities of the oil coy.....the governor has no moral right to brand bayelsans lazy...for over five months he has refused to pay salaries of workers thus adding to the already existing hardship......

Exactly. It's better to teach the people how to fish than to keep offering them fish everytime they are hungry. The governor doesn't realise that while he's insulting his constituents, he's also insulting himself and his governorship.

1 Like

Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Deadlytruth(m): 3:34pm On May 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

Your mentality is exactly what the governor was talking about. How can your people be too 'important' to do such work, is this not the epitome of laziness? Btw, this is coming from someone that doesn't believe that all, or even most, Bayelsans are lazy.

@Deadlytruth
What are you talking about? You do know that there are Igbos native to the what is the present day South-South, right?

So those "native" Igbos of the SS make up thé entire SS? You have forgotten that Thérè are also Yoruboid groups in thé SS. Now does that automatically also méan that all other SS tribes are brothers to Yorubas? What kind of logic are you trading héré?
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by googlepikins: 4:06pm On May 19, 2016
greatiyk4u:
They are not just lazy but FANTASTICALLY lazy

If the fishing Business you claim sustained them in the past was done with diligence,they wouldn't have abandoned itina hurry at least not for thuggery and other endangered jobs.
Good orientation starts from the family,religious bodies and schools before the Government gives it a finishing touches

What can you say about their attitudes to hard-working Igbo businessmen and women in their area that they extort anyhow at any slight given opportunity?

You pay the Lazy Youths "land money" to offload your goods in your country, pay tax to the Youths and other unnecessary levies to the lazy idiots.
the way you people behave like you are curse. Why does SS and SE matters bother you back stabbers.? That's what we SS and SE people want to know.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Ngozi123(f): 5:22pm On May 19, 2016
Deadlytruth:

So those "native" Igbos of the SS make up thé entire SS? You have forgotten that Thérè are also Yoruboid groups in thé SS. Now does that automatically also méan that all other SS tribes are brothers to Yorubas? What kind of logic are you trading héré?

You said Yoruboid groups, not Yorubas. There are actual Igbos native to the South-South who share similar customs to those in the South-East so of course we'll call them our brethren. They're just as Igbo as the Igbos in Imo, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Abia states.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by greatiyk4u(m): 5:43pm On May 19, 2016
googlepikins:
the way you people behave like you are curse. Why does SS and SE matters bother you back stabbers.? That's what we SS and SE people want to know.

See this one ooo, I am from SE, my moniker says it all.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Deadlytruth(m): 5:49pm On May 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

You said Yoruboid groups, not Yorubas. There are actual Igbos native to the South-South who share similar customs to those in the South-East so of course we'll call them our brethren. They're just as Igbo as the Igbos in Imo, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Abia states.

The term "Yoruboid" does not méan non-Yoruba but means Yorubas Who have undergone some cultural divergence from thé parent stock. Most of thé Igbo groups in thé SS are called Igboid groups as they too have evolved and diverged from thé parent Igbo stock. In fact some of thèm claim they are actually non Igbos but that acculturation caused their identity crisis. I have a friend from Asaba in Delta State Who passionately resents being called an Igbo person, and has inculcatéd that into his children. Each time I ask him why, he argues that Aniomas are Bénin Kingdom emigrants whose culture got swallowed up by thé Igbo culture due to physical proximity and the fact of being outnumbered by Igbos. He also adds that if he decides to speak his real undiluted dialect the Igbo man will be lost in confusion. There is another female neighbour of mine and a native of Kwale here in Lagos who disparages and mocks some yorubas as ignorant when those ones call her omo Igbo (meaning Igbo woman). Dennis Osadebey wrote a lot of dissertations in which he explained that some Aniomas are Igala migrants, others are Benin migrants while just very few are Igbo migrants. So as long as these people refuse the Igbo identity, then there might be some level of element of truth in their claims.
Even Ojukwu too once argued that Onitsha people are descendants of a Benin Kingdom migrant. So how do you reconcile all these with your position?
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by googlepikins: 5:59pm On May 19, 2016
greatiyk4u:

See this one ooo, I am from SE, my moniker says it all.
but all your posts say something else.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Sarang(f): 6:13pm On May 19, 2016
shay101:
what state are you from?

Ain't saying.. sorry.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Ngozi123(f): 9:06pm On May 19, 2016
Deadlytruth:

The term "Yoruboid" does not méan non-Yoruba but means Yorubas Who have undergone some cultural divergence from thé parent stock. Most of thé Igbo groups in thé SS are called Igboid groups as they too have evolved and diverged from thé parent Igbo stock. In fact some of thèm claim they are actually non Igbos but that acculturation caused their identity crisis. I have a friend from Asaba in Delta State Who passionately resents being called an Igbo person, and has inculcatéd that into his children. Each time I ask him why, he argues that Aniomas are Bénin Kingdom emigrants whose culture got swallowed up by thé Igbo culture due to physical proximity and the fact of being outnumbered by Igbos. He also adds that if he decides to speak his real undiluted dialect the Igbo man will be lost in confusion. There is another female neighbour of mine and a native of Kwale here in Lagos who disparages and mocks some yorubas as ignorant when those ones call her omo Igbo (meaning Igbo woman). Dennis Osadebey wrote a lot of dissertations in which he explained that some Aniomas are Igala migrants, others are Benin migrants while just very few are Igbo migrants. So as long as these people refuse the Igbo identity, then there might be some level of element of truth in their claims.
Even Ojukwu too once argued that Onitsha people are descendants of a Benin Kingdom migrant. So how do you reconcile all these with your position?

They are not of Igboid stock, they are pure bred Igbos. I don't care what identity issues some of claim to be going through, they cannot deny their heritage because of oil. Can an Nsukka man declare that he is not Igbo anymore without being laughed at? What you said about the Anioma dialect is untrue as it's actually a lot easier for many Igbos to understand than someone from Abakaliki, for instance. It's funny that you mention Osadebe because he is actually my distant uncle, on my father's side, and I come from the part that you're talking about. I don't know any Onitsha person who has denied their Igbo heritage. We're very proud to be called Igbos. You've exposed your lack of knowledge on this delicate matter and I would prefer it if you stop referring to the South-South and South-East as completely different entities as it's an insult to both regions.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Deadlytruth(m): 9:58pm On May 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

They are not of Igboid stock, they are pure bred Igbos. I don't care what identity issues some of claim to be going through, they cannot deny their heritage because of oil. Can an Nsukka man declare that he is not Igbo anymore without being laughed at? What you said about the Anioma dialect is untrue as it's actually a lot easier for many Igbos to understand than someone from Abakaliki, for instance. It's funny that you mention Osadebe because he is actually my distant uncle, on my father's side, and I come from the part that you're talking about. I don't know any Onitsha person who has denied their Igbo heritage. We're very proud to be called Igbos. You've exposed your lack of knowledge on this delicate matter and I would prefer it if you stop referring to the South-South and South-East as completely different entities as it's an insult to both regions.

Thanks in advance.

I am from the South-South and I am not in any way Igbo. I don't understand Igbo and I have never spoken it in my life. So also with most other SS tribes. But your insistence on the sameness of the SS and SE is an insult to me because I can't see what links my tribe with Igbos. We are neither historically nor culturally connected with Igbos. When you want to link Igbo with the SS please restrict it to the Igboid tribes (who even reject it though) and stop this your irritating generalization. We have itshekiris in the SS and they have no single link with Igbos. So with Binis and all the Edoid tribes in Edo and Delta. Same with the Efiks, Ijaws, Ogojas, and so on. In fact the itshekiris are ethnologically closer to Yorubas, but Yorubas don't because of that claim that all the other SS tribes are their brothers. In fact they don't even claim itshekiris are their own within the SS.
The examples I gave of Aniomas rejecting Igbo identity were not my own creations, so your accusing me of knowing nothing about Aniomas is illogical. You should have rather accused Dennis Osadebe and those my two Anioma acquaintances of ignorance since I only reported what they said. And if you meet that Asaba man I quoted above you can't stand his intellect in proving that Aniomas are not Igbos. He will defeat you hands down with very powerful empirical illustrations. If you doubt it I can furnish you with his number so that you call him and suggest he is Igbo and then hear his reaction. I don't know how you brought oil into this discussion. What concerns oil in this issue?
And most importantly a people know themselves more than others know them, so they should be allowed the right to say who they are. I can't claim to know you more than you know yourself, Can I?
Brotherhood is not by force. Let others be whatever they want to be.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Ngozi123(f): 3:24pm On May 20, 2016
Deadlytruth:

I am from the South-South and I am not in any way Igbo. I don't understand Igbo and I have never spoken it in my life. So also with most other SS tribes. But your insistence on the sameness of the SS and SE is an insult to me because I can't see what links my tribe with Igbos. We are neither historically nor culturally connected with Igbos. When you want to link Igbo with the SS please restrict it to the Igboid tribes (who even reject it though) and stop this your irritating generalization. We have itshekiris in the SS and they have no single link with Igbos. So with Binis and all the Edoid tribes in Edo and Delta. Same with the Efiks, Ijaws, Ogojas, and so on. In fact the itshekiris are ethnologically closer to Yorubas, but Yorubas don't because of that claim that all the other SS tribes are their brothers. In fact they don't even claim itshekiris are their own within the SS.
The examples I gave of Aniomas rejecting Igbo identity were not my own creations, so your accusing me of knowing nothing about Aniomas is illogical. You should have rather accused Dennis Osadebe and those my two Anioma acquaintances of ignorance since I only reported what they said. And if you meet that Asaba man I quoted above you can't stand his intellect in proving that Aniomas are not Igbos. He will defeat you hands down with very powerful empirical illustrations. If you doubt it I can furnish you with his number so that you call him and suggest he is Igbo and then hear his reaction. I don't know how you brought oil into this discussion. What concerns oil in this issue?
And most importantly a people know themselves more than others know them, so they should be allowed the right to say who they are. I can't claim to know you more than you know yourself, Can I?
Brotherhood is not by force. Let others be whatever they want to be.

Where did I say that every tribe in the South-South is Igbo? I said that some are Igbo so it isn't too far fetched for the Igbos in the South-East to call them their brethren, especially considering that many of them have been marrying and trading with them for hundreds of years. There are Igala people native to the South-East as well as he Middle Belt; do they stop becoming Igalas just because they happen to dwell in a different state?

I'm not accusing Osadebe as he has never denied that he is Igbo. Your friend's opinion is in the minority as I'm sure that if you were to ask every person from Asaba whether they are Igbo or not, 90% will tell you that they are. Ask yourself this, why is Asaba one of Ipob's biggest supporter bases? Why would a people who want to distance themselves from the Igbos want to live in a country with them? If they're not Igbo then why did the Nigerian military decide to slaughter them during the Asaba massacre? Were they mistaken?

I brought oil into this issue as that was one of the biggest reasons why the military government in Nigeria decided to create different states, carving out the then oil producing Igbo areas from the rest of the Igbos. That and the Nigerian government's propaganda post-war that convinced them to deny their heritage.

I want to go further but I don't want this post to turn into an essay so I'll just leave you with the fact that 'Igboness' created through: language, customs, food etc. Now ask yourself honestly if certain groups in the South-South share these things with other Igbo groups. If your answer is yes then I remind you of the old saying, "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck". If your answer is no then I'll know that you have an agenda. Btw, I've noticed that you've decided to stop arguing that Onitsha people are not Igbos, that's good...

Have a good day.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Deadlytruth(m): 4:19pm On May 20, 2016
Ngozi123:

Where did I say that every tribe in the South-South is Igbo? I said that some are Igbo so it isn't too far fetched for the Igbos in the South-East to call them their brethren, especially considering that many of them have been marrying and trading with them for hundreds of years. There are Igala people native to the South-East as well as he Middle Belt; do they stop becoming Igalas just because they happen to dwell in a different state?

I'm not accusing Osadebe as he has never denied that he is Igbo. Your friend's opinion is in the minority as I'm sure that if you were to ask every person from Asaba whether they are Igbo or not, 90% will tell you that they are. Ask yourself this, why is Asaba one of Ipob's biggest supporter bases? Why would a people who want to distance themselves from the Igbos want to live in a country with them? If they're not Igbo then why did the Nigerian military decide to slaughter them during the Asaba massacre? Were they mistaken?

I brought oil into this issue as that was one of the biggest reasons why the military government in Nigeria decided to create different states, carving out the then oil producing Igbo areas from the rest of the Igbos. That and the Nigerian government's propaganda post-war that convinced them to deny their heritage.

I want to go further but I don't want this post to turn into an essay so I'll just leave you with the fact that 'Igboness' created through: language, customs, food etc. Now ask yourself honestly if certain groups in the South-South share these things with other Igbo groups. If your answer is yes then I remind you of the old saying, "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck". If your answer is no then I'll know that you have an agenda. Btw, I've noticed that you've decided to stop arguing that Onitsha people are not Igbos, that's good...

Have a good day.

You keep on ascribing to me what I only quote from notable figures. I said Ojukwu himself (a foremost Igbo leader) argued, in one of his write ups on Zik, that Onitsha people are descendants of a Benin settler. This is all over the internet. I did not say so. Ojukwu said so. I don't believe you are not educated enough to know the difference between an assertion and a reported speech. So for you to pretend not to know the difference hence keep accusing me of what Ojukwu (an Igbo man) himself said betrays an agenda on your part. Why not rather just accept that Ojukwu is either right or wrong? Your denial does not change the fact that Dennis Osadebe wrote a lot of literature in which he explained that Aniomas are not exclusively Igbos. I have read it both online and in public libraries in Benin. Rather than deny it, it is more honourable for you to prove Osadebe wrong with superior arguements or accept it.
Your arguement about oil fails the test of holistic analysis. There are Igboid tribes cut into Benue State. I have a petty trader opposite my house here in Lagos who falls into that category. Was that also because there is oil in the land of those Benue Igboid people? I also heard the people of Ugep in Cross River State are Igbos. How does your oil theory explain that too?
The fact that Aniomas were deliberately excluded from the 1967 Biafra map by Ojukwu might just lend credence to Osadebe's position and detract from your claim that Asaba is a serious IPOB focal point. Also the fact that the committee set up by GEJ to look at the possibility of creating one more state for Igbos was chaired by an SE man who rejected the suggestion that it be Anioma state on the grounds that it would mean 7 states for the SS also weakens the theory of brotherhood between Igbos and Aniomas and indeed the entire SS. Why would an Igbo man reject the creation of Anioma state if truly the SE and SS are brothers?
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Ngozi123(f): 4:41pm On May 20, 2016
Deadlytruth:

You keep on ascribing to me what I only quote from notable figures. I said Ojukwu himself (a foremost Igbo leader) argued, in one of his write ups on Zik, that Onitsha people are descendants of a Benin settler. This is all over the internet. I did not say so. Ojukwu said so. I don't believe you are not educated enough to know the difference between an assertion and a reported speech. So for you to pretend not to know the difference hence keep accusing me of what Ojukwu (an Igbo man) himself said betrays an agenda on your part. Why not rather just accept that Ojukwu is either right or wrong? Your denial does not change the fact that Dennis Osadebe wrote a lot of literature in which he explained that Aniomas are not exclusively Igbos. I have read it both online and in public libraries in Benin. Rather than deny it, it is more honourable for you to prove Osadebe wrong with superior arguements or accept it.
The fact that Aniomas were deliberately excluded from the 1967 Biafra map by Ojukwu might just lend credence to Osadebe's position and detract from your claim that Asaba is a serious IPOB focal point. Also the fact that the committee set up by GEJ to look at the possibility of creating one more state for Igbos was chaired by an SE man who rejected the suggestion that it be Anioma state on the grounds that it would mean 7 states for the SS also weakens the theory of brotherhood between Igbos and Aniomas and indeed the entire SS. Why would an Igbo man reject the creation of Anioma state if truly the SE and SS are brothers?

You still haven't told me where exactly Osadebe or even Ojukwu said that Anioma and Onitsha people are not Igbos. You do realise that just because some Igbos came from Benin, doesn't mean that they are not Igbos. Ask any Igbo person if there is such a thing as 'pure Igbo'. Go on, ask any Igbo nairalander here and report your findings to me. Now that you're talking about my people, I can give you a better explanation. The Igbos of Onitsha are the result of what we call a 'reverse migration', that is, they went to live under the Benin Empire for a while and came back to where they currently preside, bringing them some of the customs they learned from the bini people. Some may have mixed with the bini and other ethnicities living under the empire but that doesn't make them any less Igbo. As for the Anioma people, they share their history and heritage with the people of Onitsha, which is why I said that it's highly insulting for you to say that the people of South-South have no ancestral links to those in the South-East. You're basically ignoring their history. Also, you failed to answer any of my questions but you did well to avoid them...
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Deadlytruth(m): 8:51pm On May 25, 2016
Ngozi123:

You still haven't told me where exactly Osadebe or even Ojukwu said that Anioma and Onitsha people are not Igbos. You do realise that just because some Igbos came from Benin, doesn't mean that they are not Igbos. Ask any Igbo person if there is such a thing as 'pure Igbo'. Go on, ask any Igbo nairalander here and report your findings to me. Now that you're talking about my people, I can give you a better explanation. The Igbos of Onitsha are the result of what we call a 'reverse migration', that is, they went to live under the Benin Empire for a while and came back to where they currently preside, bringing them some of the customs they learned from the bini people. Some may have mixed with the bini and other ethnicities living under the empire but that doesn't make them any less Igbo. As for the Anioma people, they share their history and heritage with the people of Onitsha, which is why I said that it's highly insulting for you to say that the people of South-South have no ancestral links to those in the South-East. You're basically ignoring their history. Also, you failed to answer any of my questions but you did well to avoid them...

Please google Ojukwu's notes comparing Azikiwe, Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello and there you'll see how he described Onitsha people as Benin Kingdom migrants. In that account of his he did not patronize this your strange reverse migration theory. I'll soon search out sites containing the literatures of Osadebey in which he made his analyses and furnish you with them.
If, according to you, there are no pure Igbos then it is as good as saying there are really no Igbos in the real sense of the word but that all the people currently referred to as Igbos are migrants from other places and tribes. Then that means Osadebey was correct after all.
I made myself clear that the only probable ancestral link Igbos may correctly claim with the SS resides with only the Igboid tribes like Ikwerres, Aniomas and the likes. What I am against and find insulting is your repeated generalization that SE Igbos have ancestral links with the whole SS just as you repeated in your comment above.
You should rather be putting it this way; "SOME FEW parts of the SS have ancestral links with Igbos" and not "the SS people have ancestral links with Igbos". If you keep using the latter expression you'll always have people like me to contend with because the latter drags me along despite me not having any single traceable ancestral link to any of the WAZOBIA tribes.
However I am lost as to which questions you claim you asked me and I did not answer.
Re: Gov Dickson Goofed, Bayelsans/ijaws Are Not Lazy by Nobody: 11:46am On Dec 09, 2017
wirinet:
Truth they say is bitter, that is why we cringe and fill social media with vitriolic attacks on who ever dares tell us the truth to our face. Although i have never been a fan of Governor Seriake Dickson, i appreciate his frankness in telling Bayelsan (and by extension Nigerdelta) youths the absolute truth. Nigerdeltan Youths especially the men, are extremely lazy, Go to Yenagoa, Sapele, Warri, Port harcourt, etc, the story is the same, the youth are only interested in community runs, extortion and handouts from Oil companies, local, state and federal governments instead of doing physical and mental work. Give them scholarships, they sell it to non indigenes. Give them Jobs, they sell the Jobs to others and sit down at home to collect a small percentage from the non indegene they sold the jobs to. Give them money for business, they drink alcohol, party, go clubbing and have more women in their harem. As a true Nigerdeltan, i am sure you can relate to what seriake dickson is saying. I have cousins who sold the slot allocated to them by the community to Igbo boys. One of my cousin was in the committee Uduaghan set up to provide loans to youths to set up fish farms in warri. I can tell you that all the Youths collected N500,000 and disappeared into thin air.

In all your vitriolic against Governor Dickson, you did not dispute any of the points he raised.

We need a total re-orientation in the Niger delta.We have to instil the value of hard work, instead of the belief that because we have oil, we should get everything free in life. The tragedy of the Nigerdelta is that we are not producing quality leaders to lead us out of our present quagmire, instead we are producing thugs, militants and criminals as leaders.

Very painful truth

FemiOlarinde:
When you hear the word Niger-Delta, the mental picture that automatically comes to mind is that of Militants, Kidnappers, Oil Bunkers, Sea Pirates, Cultists etc

Very painful truth. Ijaws easily comes to mind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

IPOB Members Storm Abuja High Court Ahead Of Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Hearing. PICS / How nPDP Led Oyegun To Destroy APC - Lauretta Onochie / INEC Vehicle In Akwa Ibom Conveying Ballot Papers Involved In Accident (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.