Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding (34270 Views)

Wakanda Forever: The New Viral Pose At Nigerian Wedding Receptions (photos) / Wedding Cake Depicting A Nigerian Wedding (Photos) / Money Rained Uncontrollably At A Nigerian Wedding (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by mysticgal(f): 7:33pm On May 21, 2016
Lol
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 21, 2016
Very true but I don't eat at weddings. I used to, stopped when I ate one useless ajinomoto food that wanted to kill me.

I have always been team eat very well before going for any occasion, lest you start hustling for food like someone from a war torn zone. Hunger is real_ especially when the couple takes forever to arrive from church, spend hours outside the reception hall taking pictures, hours waiting for HIGH TABLE GUESTS to turn up... etc

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by chikel2000(m): 7:33pm On May 21, 2016
Omo see food o
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by macaranta(m): 7:34pm On May 21, 2016
Lol all for wedding rice.
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 21, 2016
Let me safe dis page for future purpose cheesy op thanks.
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by macaranta(m): 7:35pm On May 21, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
I don't eat at weddings.
Funny you...

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 21, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
I don't eat at weddings.
mummy lie small small naw cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by free2ryhme: 7:36pm On May 21, 2016
Naijasinglegirl:
don’t think there anything more painful than watching others eat their share of the wedding jollof rice while the only thing you were able to get is serviette to dry your tears.
I’m usually so mad that once I leave the wedding, I stop by nearest fast food and throw a wedding buffet where I am the only attendee.
I have been a victim far too many times that I have been left with no choice but to research on all the possible ways to avoid this.

See below;

1. Pick the right table
Choose a table closest to where the food is being kept (If it’s a buffet) or where the influential people are seated to minimise the chances of being missed. E.g The mummies of the day canopy.
Some ‘big girls’ are fond of seating far away from the crowd then cry foul when they don’t get food.
Ushers assume five things which affects your chances of getting food.
– You are an uninvited guest.
– You are waiting for someone.
– You are too big to eat.
– You are waiting to clean the arena.
– You were not noticed when food was being served.
– You are the groom’s wicked ex.

2. Don’t let strangers sit with you
Most event decors at wedding receptions usually arrange a table for five or six. Assuming you attend a wedding reception alone or with a friend, there’s a high probability you would sit with four or more strangers at your table, who may be chronic long throats.
If this happens, the small-chops, cake, drinks, wine and whatever was kept on the table before the reception commenced are at risk!
Don NOT LET this happen! Lie the seat is already occupied if you have to.

A couple of a years ago, I attended a wedding reception with my cousins and when we were barely seated, one old lady in matron uniform who was obviously an uninvited guest claimed the last vacant seat.
Before I could say ‘Jollof’, she pulled out a Sacks&Motors bag and began fiddling with it. The wine was the first thing that went missing, followed by two cans of coke and all the disposable cups. When I asked her if she had seen ‘our wine’, she pointed at the juice.
Later she kept hovering around the kitchen area and I saw her quarrelling for souvenirs. Needless to say, when the reception ended, our lucky lady left with a full Sack&Motors bag. The only thing she didn’t go home with was the bride’s bouquet.

3. Sit with the gang you came with
Or people you are familiar with. This is the only way you’d be able to eat comfortably or call the police to arrest anyone that attempts to cheat you of your share of small-chops on the table.
Alternatively, you can try the head-girl method. Let me explain;
If I attend a wedding alone, what I usually do is make friends with kids I feel I can dominate during the church service so I can trick them to sit with me when the reception begins.

4. Sit with a guy
Naturally, guys would try to respect themselves at wedding receptions especially if they are trying to impress a girl.
Is any guy at the wedding hitting on you? Accept the invitation to sit with him and his group of friends.
Congratulations!
You’ve just earned yourself all the 6 packs of small chops on the table.

5 Smile when food is being shared
Ushers are more inclined to serve your table if you maintain a cheerful disposition. At least for the sake of the innocent people seated with you, SMILE! Put yourself in the ushers shoes, won’t you avoid serving the table where those seated wear a perpetual frown?

6 Compliment the ushers
Ladies naturally love compliments. Before the reception commences, tell an usher her teeth look nice, you admire the way she’s diligent at her job, you like the way her conscience radiates or she’s the most beautiful girl at the wedding and I, Naijasinglegirl, solemnly promise you won’t go home hungry in Jesus name.

7 Arrive early
If you arrive late to a wedding reception, you are on your own! First, all seats would be occupied and no one would serve you food while you are standing. Secondly, you stand a high chance of missing the exact time for item 7.
In fact, the only reason you should arrive late is if you are coming from a buffet or if your dietician recommended left-over cold jollof rice with no meat for you.

9 Be calm
If for whatever reasons, the ushers skip you when food was being served, even after you raise your head and kept whistling “Shhhhhhh excuse me. Hello? Excus…excuse meeeeeee,” stay calm.
Remain where you are, bend your head slowly on the table and cry your eyes out if it makes you feel better. Serviet to wipe your tears are always in excess, remember.
The last thing you want to do is switch to rows or columns where food hasn’t been served yet. You would only end up embarrassing yourself since ushers usually serve in a haphazard manner. If you have answers for accusations like, “I thought I saw you there earlier!”, “I gave you food,” “Madam please go back to your seat,” “Which kind long throat you be,” etc
By all means, continue chasing the ushers from row to row.

To summarise, if all else fails, realise shit happens and it is not the last wedding reception in world. I wish you success in your next wedding.

http://www.naijasinglegirl.com/get-food-nigerian-wedding/

with all this one how you no go remain single

1 Like

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 21, 2016
Dress well, don't look @ other people's plate when they are being served
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 21, 2016
OMG...my belle ooo...lmao
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Software202(m): 7:39pm On May 21, 2016
(smiles)
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 21, 2016
prettythicksme:
mummy lie small small naw cheesy cheesy
I am very serious. By the way, they don't usually serve what I want, I am more inclined to eat fufu and any well cooked soup than jollof rice.

macaranta:

Funny you...
I will eat at your wedding sha cheesy
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Bollinger(m): 7:40pm On May 21, 2016
Naijasinglegirl:
don’t think there anything more painful than watching others eat their share of the wedding jollof rice while the only thing you were able to get is serviette to dry your tears.
I’m usually so mad that once I leave the wedding, I stop by nearest fast food and throw a wedding buffet where I am the only attendee.
I have been a victim far too many times that I have been left with no choice but to research on all the possible ways to avoid this.

See below;

1. Pick the right table
Choose a table closest to where the food is being kept (If it’s a buffet) or where the influential people are seated to minimise the chances of being missed. E.g The mummies of the day canopy.
Some ‘big girls’ are fond of seating far away from the crowd then cry foul when they don’t get food.
Ushers assume five things which affects your chances of getting food.
– You are an uninvited guest.
– You are waiting for someone.
– You are too big to eat.
– You are waiting to clean the arena.
– You were not noticed when food was being served.
– You are the groom’s wicked ex.

2. Don’t let strangers sit with you
Most event decors at wedding receptions usually arrange a table for five or six. Assuming you attend a wedding reception alone or with a friend, there’s a high probability you would sit with four or more strangers at your table, who may be chronic long throats.
If this happens, the small-chops, cake, drinks, wine and whatever was kept on the table before the reception commenced are at risk!
Don NOT LET this happen! Lie the seat is already occupied if you have to.

A couple of a years ago, I attended a wedding reception with my cousins and when we were barely seated, one old lady in matron uniform who was obviously an uninvited guest claimed the last vacant seat.
Before I could say ‘Jollof’, she pulled out a Sacks&Motors bag and began fiddling with it. The wine was the first thing that went missing, followed by two cans of coke and all the disposable cups. When I asked her if she had seen ‘our wine’, she pointed at the juice.
Later she kept hovering around the kitchen area and I saw her quarrelling for souvenirs. Needless to say, when the reception ended, our lucky lady left with a full Sack&Motors bag. The only thing she didn’t go home with was the bride’s bouquet.

3. Sit with the gang you came with
Or people you are familiar with. This is the only way you’d be able to eat comfortably or call the police to arrest anyone that attempts to cheat you of your share of small-chops on the table.
Alternatively, you can try the head-girl method. Let me explain;
If I attend a wedding alone, what I usually do is make friends with kids I feel I can dominate during the church service so I can trick them to sit with me when the reception begins.

4. Sit with a guy
Naturally, guys would try to respect themselves at wedding receptions especially if they are trying to impress a girl.
Is any guy at the wedding hitting on you? Accept the invitation to sit with him and his group of friends.
Congratulations!
You’ve just earned yourself all the 6 packs of small chops on the table.

5 Smile when food is being shared
Ushers are more inclined to serve your table if you maintain a cheerful disposition. At least for the sake of the innocent people seated with you, SMILE! Put yourself in the ushers shoes, won’t you avoid serving the table where those seated wear a perpetual frown?

6 Compliment the ushers
Ladies naturally love compliments. Before the reception commences, tell an usher her teeth look nice, you admire the way she’s diligent at her job, you like the way her conscience radiates or she’s the most beautiful girl at the wedding and I, Naijasinglegirl, solemnly promise you won’t go home hungry in Jesus name.

7 Arrive early
If you arrive late to a wedding reception, you are on your own! First, all seats would be occupied and no one would serve you food while you are standing. Secondly, you stand a high chance of missing the exact time for item 7.
In fact, the only reason you should arrive late is if you are coming from a buffet or if your dietician recommended left-over cold jollof rice with no meat for you.

9 Be calm
If for whatever reasons, the ushers skip you when food was being served, even after you raise your head and kept whistling “Shhhhhhh excuse me. Hello? Excus…excuse meeeeeee,” stay calm.
Remain where you are, bend your head slowly on the table and cry your eyes out if it makes you feel better. Serviet to wipe your tears are always in excess, remember.
The last thing you want to do is switch to rows or columns where food hasn’t been served yet. You would only end up embarrassing yourself since ushers usually serve in a haphazard manner. If you have answers for accusations like, “I thought I saw you there earlier!”, “I gave you food,” “Madam please go back to your seat,” “Which kind long throat you be,” etc
By all means, continue chasing the ushers from row to row.

To summarise, if all else fails, realise shit happens and it is not the last wedding reception in world. I wish you success in your next wedding.

http://www.naijasinglegirl.com/get-food-nigerian-wedding/

No one needs to tell me that this chick is a hardcore, no-holds-barred original ajepaki.
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by henrygale(m): 7:41pm On May 21, 2016
All ds long story just because of jollof rice! Chai.....chai......naija don suffer o! grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by macaranta(m): 7:43pm On May 21, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

I'm not getting married anytime soon...;P

P.S you're cute.
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by queenfav(f): 7:46pm On May 21, 2016
Those buffet style weddings nai sure pass o,u go see people dey serve egusi and jollof for one plate.lolzz.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by queenfav(f): 7:47pm On May 21, 2016
kai...lwkmd..i don craze for my life sha..this reminds me of our law school dinners.. I can vouch for complimenting d waiters,e dey work die!I flirted with a male usher to get extra plate of the entree dish-fresh fish peppersoup!The bobo sef even find me after d dinner,arrange 2/pieces of fried chicken for me..My seat-mates just dey hate that day..yes,i no get shame for food matter,esp d one i paid 50k for!

6 Likes

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 21, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

I am very serious. By the way, they don't usually serve what I want, I am more inclined to eat fufu and any well cooked soup than jollof rice.

I dont believe this!!i'm sorry about dat grin
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by dumpointer: 7:49pm On May 21, 2016
For your mind, this one join skills abi[/font][font=Lucida Sans Unicode] grin
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by JVgal(f): 7:50pm On May 21, 2016
All those for fud?
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by AliJohn(m): 7:52pm On May 21, 2016
ofemigeorge:
I like going wit my friend Bayo. Mehnnn that guy can hustle food. His way with the usher girls are out of this world. I am just the calm one.
bayo n usher girls

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 7:57pm On May 21, 2016
prettythicksme:
I dont believe this!!i'm sorry about dat grin

You don't have to dear, your believing it wouldn't appreciate Naira neither would it reduce the price of tomatoes wink.

macaranta:

I'm not getting married anytime soon...;P
P.S you're cute.
chai... I will wait till whenever you are ready.
Thanks smiley
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Ewatomi26(f): 7:58pm On May 21, 2016
Wow... I love this
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Optimist1(m): 7:59pm On May 21, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:
Op... Impress who?
I go follow you hustle the remaining food oo...
Better not sit near me...
loltongue
Indeed you are the biafra-bush-boy!!!
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Ekii(f): 8:07pm On May 21, 2016
Gone are the days when you are served a good plate of jollof rice at a wedding. Now,most caterers just cook anything they like and call it jollof rice. Some of the jollof rice served at the weddings I've recently been to didn't have that aroma, that tells you it was cooked with fire wood which to me is what makes it tick and maybe the high cost of tomatoes is also a factor too. For now, I no care whether e reach me or not. Will make do with ofada rice or Amala ati abula.
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by stingbreed(m): 8:07pm On May 21, 2016
brunofarad:
To get food at a wedding reception,

Wear good clothes
Sit in the midst of important people that are close to the front...not those at the back...the key here is the environment ,ushers try to start at the front with dignitaries.
Also be busy with your borrowed IPAD or phone if you come with any,

Then smile confidently.

childhood at ONTISHA was CRAZY grin

O B U [ ONITSHA BROUGHT UP ] grin

FREE BUZ COMPLIANT grin
I de always see u de nod wall & till now the wall never break,,, i get sledge hammer o just incase u need am sad

1 Like

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by nkemdi89(f): 8:12pm On May 21, 2016
I am used to political way of attending occasions, spend not more than an hour in any events and move without considering the food.
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 21, 2016
First thing I do whenever I arrive at any wedding reception is to jokingly make temporal friends with the ushers and the "ask me" squad and then as soon as the ocassion is over and I happens to be properly served, our food contract ends quietly like an ending of a romantic soul music until we meet to part again at another wedding reception...
Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by MizFrances(f): 8:18pm On May 21, 2016
Lol.. that's why I eat most times before leaving the house sef.. so it won't pain me too much grin

1 Like

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by oluwanoni: 8:20pm On May 21, 2016
my parents once went to a wedding, even pure them no see drink, they ended up eating in shoprite, personally if I am going to a party where someone that knows someone that's knows someone that knows the bride or groom, I make sure I eat before I come but if I know the bride or groom, one na serve yourself if them pass me by.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 21, 2016
I remember an occasion I was invited to sing. In fact I knew what the host went through to get me in singing at his event only for the caterers at the end of the day to tell me "there's no food or do you want rice without meat?". This was me who was singing with my team while people ate. At least, courtesy demands that you reserve our food.
I later discovered they had kept extras for themselves (in excess that they couldn't even finish sef) Omo I sparked for them o. I was even so angry as I noticed arrogance on the part of the caterers o. When they saw how angry and how important I was to the host, they quickly brought out correct food and meat. They said they had no breakable plate but had only rubber and that the breakables were dirty. I told them to kuku cover the rubber plate so that I know its take away I was given. Dem pack am give me. Nonsense

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Food At A Nigerian Wedding by Missmossy(f): 8:25pm On May 21, 2016
Kikikiki grin Naija weddings though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Father Cries As He Gives Out His Daughter In Marriage - States Emotional Reason / Loaves Of Bread And Crates Of Eggs Shared As Souvenir At Nigerian Party (Video) / Obituary Of A Nigerian Woman & Her 17-Year-Old Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.