Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,416 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk (25122 Views)

Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause / Amaechi Accused Of Stealing £500million - Dailymail Uk / £250million Given To Buhari By Britain - Dailymail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Cubeet2: 1:48pm On May 19, 2016
Hmm,I Concour with Dailymail
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Dubem13: 1:50pm On May 19, 2016
Biafra bu obodo nnam,umunnem kwadobenu maka nnata,

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by comodo: 1:51pm On May 19, 2016
baby124:
Dailymail should concentrate on telling their government to return all stolen monies and properties and stop speculating about things they have no proof of. They know how to use "allegedly" very well. As they are not sure of anything. Ever.
For your mind. Those stolen cash is not in d custody of UK govt if u don't know. A family owns d bank of England. IMF. Federal reserve bank USA. Switzerland bank & so many other finance institutions. " The Rothschild's" u can Google about them. To think that we can get d cash back is a dream. Nigeria may face an option of either devalue your currency and get some back. which they will still use people in authority to loot & return back. Its d game since 1800.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by heo88(m): 1:53pm On May 19, 2016
stanech:
The Fulani herdsmen attacked at 6:00 am, just after morning prayers in Nimbo, an idyllic village in southeast Nigeria where farmers grow yams and pawpaws.

At first the villagers thought it was a joke. The nomadic cattle rearers, who have clashed with farmers over grazing rights in central Nigeria for decades, had never come this far south.

But then they saw 20 young men descend from the hills and emerge from the palm tree forest, shooting AK-47 assault rifles in the air and waving machetes.

"We started hearing the sound of gunshots everywhere. They shot so many people," Kingsley Oneyebuchie, a 31-year-old civil servant, told AFP.

"They shot one of my brothers, they used a knife on my dad, they killed so many," he said from his hospital bed in the nearby town of Nsukka, bare-chested and wearing only red athletic shorts.

Oneyebuchie ran his fingers tentatively over a 20-centimetre (eight-inch) track of blue surgical stitches at the base of his scalp.

"They used machete on me. After using machete on me, they thought that I died," he said.

Oneyebuchie was lucky to survive the attack on April 25. At least 10 people are thought to have been killed and scores of others injured.

- Ethnic lines -

In the past year, raids by Fulani herdsmen have increased in the southeast.

The worst happened some 200 kilometres (125 miles) away in Agatu, Benue state, in late February, where hundreds of people -- most of them Christian farmers -- were reportedly killed.

The bloodshed mirrors that after Nigeria gained independence in 1960, when Igbos dominant in the mainly Christian southeast, were pitted against Hausa and Fulani in the largely Muslim north.

The ethnic violence led to two military coups, hundreds of deaths -- and ultimately a civil war, when the southeast broke away and declared an independent Republic of Biafra in 1967.

Some one million Igbos died either fighting for the fledgling nation or from starvation and disease in a brutal conflict that by its end in 1970 left the southeast broken.

Now, stricken villagers maintain the only solution to the Fulani attacks -- and perceived northern domination of political posts from the president downwards -- is an independent state.

"We need to know that this is Igbo and this is Fulani," said Oneyebuchie. "We want them to leave our place so that we will be free."

- Growing conflict -

According to the Global Terrorism Index 2015 report, "Fulani militants" killed 1,229 people in 2014 -- up from 63 in 2013 -- making them the "fourth most deadly terrorist group" in the world.

Most deaths happened in Nigeria's religiously mixed so-called Middle Belt states.

But the apparent migration south into Igbo territory is being used by an increasingly hardline pro-Biafra movement as an indication the Nigerian government doesn't serve or protect the region and is stoking discontent in the southeast.

Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari, a northern Hausa-Fulani who opposes the pro-Biafran movement, took until late April to speak out about the herdsmen, saying he had ordered military and police to "take all necessary action to stop the carnage".

He has proposed setting up a grazing plan that includes the establishment of cattle ranches and importing grass feed from Brazil.

Critics argue his response is too little, too late and overly ambitious.

"I have yet to hear this government articulate a firm policy of non-tolerance for the serial massacres," Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka said recently, describing the ranch plan as "optimistic".

- 'A second genocide' -

The arrest and detention of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader Nnamdi Kanu last year catapulted him and his more hardline pressure group into the mainstream.

"Buhari has authorised a second genocide on Biafra," IPOB, which has been campaigning for Kanu's release through public protests, said about the herdsmen.

"Biafrans are on the verge of being exterminated," it added.

In Nimbo, the farmers use less emotive language but their underlying message is the same.

Today the village is deserted, with shiny new padlocks fastened on the wood doors of mud-brick houses and hectares of cassava and melon crops abandoned until safer times.

"We have been complaining to government, complaining to everyone, no help," said Thaddeus Okenwa, a 65-year-old cassava farmer with a raspy voice and muscular hands.

"We are now just managing because nothing goes normal. If they can give us our own independence, let's go.

"We don't pray for war now, but this (the Fulani issue) can cause it because you can't be a stranger in your home."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3594546/Nigerias-growing-Fulani-conflict-stokes-Biafran-cause.html

It's after the fact but these Fulani herdsman attacks are getting out of hand and Buhari needs to delegate an overhaul/improvement in policing.

I am not keen on the link between it and added momentum behind Biafra. The initial Biafra movement was understandable in some ways due to the violence levelled at Igbos resident in different parts of the country, namely Kano. However, even back then when the momentum began for a Biafran Republic, Ojukuw was being politically opportunisitic (He was Northern raised, educated in England and his dad Louis was the founder of the Nigerian Stock Exchange). When the shit hit the fan, he ran off to the relative safehaven of Cote d'Ivoire and waved the white flag in surrender, from a distance.

The demarcation of the area which includes the present day Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Calabar subsumed within Biafra was a very deliberate move to ensure accrual of oil wealth/revenues. This was just as, if not more important than securing the safety of Igbo people. Had this cession movement been successful, it wouldn't have been to the benefit of the Igbos, Ikwerres, Efiks etc, at large, but to the benefit of a small elite as is the case in several countries/territories.

In the present day, people like Nnamdi Kanu are also acting opportunistically under the guise of Biafran agitation to preserve the safety of namely igbos, and if he succeeds, life will not improve under him, I can say this confidently. Besides, whilst I recognise everyone has a right to self-determination and can assert the idea of an Oduduwa Republic, Arewa Republic, Biafra, Niger-Delta Republic etc, it's worth considering the merits behind it. Ultimately, in a day of Nation State arrangments, and being an African country with all the historical baggage which comes with that, it is only a further disadvantage to not have a port. A latter-day Biafra wouldn't mirror the historical Biafra which means it would be landlocked and import and export of physical goods would prove problematic, without cooperation from the Niger-Delta. This would be similar for the likes of an Arewa Republic.

All-in-all, an overhaul of policing would remedy, at least in part, the security situation which is easily exploited by Fulani herdsman. However, if you're one who supports cessionary movements, it would be worth challenging your point of departure. The adage holds: "be careful what you wish for".

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by McLuhan(m): 1:55pm On May 19, 2016
I'm glad that Soyinka, who hailed this APC government as Nigeria's only saving grace, is now denouncing its inaction with regard to the Fulani herdsmen's atrocities.
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Rapmoney(m): 1:56pm On May 19, 2016
victorvezx:
See them , losers with victim mentality, always acting as if every one is against them. U are not the only ones the herdsmen attacked and U are not the only tribe in Nigeria. Clowns from the easttongue tongue tongue
Do u think with ur brain or ur feet?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by jzdoberman: 1:56pm On May 19, 2016
otukpo:
No peace anywhere in Nigeria.

Nigeria that used to be a peaceful nation.

... And I wept.
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by clickwtB(m): 2:00pm On May 19, 2016
This are fake fulani men!!!This is an old script!!! WE are wiser!!!
The sponsors of Violence in Nigeria are enemies of nigerian masses/Nigeria itself!!!
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by codemaniacs: 2:01pm On May 19, 2016
GWMI:
I beg to say that your education is of no use if you cannot stand for Justice.When yorubas choose to be intentionally hypocrites, you can never say about the importance of your education.Thanks.

Tinubu, his boys, ironsi and ojukwu are your problem not the yorubas.

Most of the problems the entire south suffers was caused by ironsi an igbo man. Back then igbos were the ones shouting "one Nigeria" when it backfired they started shouting "biafra".

The igbos didn't even annex the Eastern region, they were trying to conquer the whole country.

Unknown to the igbos, ironsi unitary system and the civil war was a masterplan by some northerners and southerners(including ojukwu) to give federal power to the north.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Suntzung: 2:01pm On May 19, 2016
feldido:
Seems every bad news is paving way for Biafra shocked
Let the ball rolls nah. biafra is a big MIRAGE. quote me
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by clickwtB(m): 2:01pm On May 19, 2016
Dailymail or daily trash we know who are sponsoring you!!!!
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Noneroone(m): 2:02pm On May 19, 2016
Eastcoast33:
Im Igbo, i'm only saying the entire IGBO land should be Japanized, and not just Anambra... PEACE.
the person u quoted isnt Igbo
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by cjrane: 2:05pm On May 19, 2016
I am calling on the youths in communities where Fulani ravage their farms to arm themselves and fight back.
Please stop complaining to Buhari. He is only concerned about how to give your land to his own Fulanis
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by cococandy(f): 2:05pm On May 19, 2016
codemaniacs:

We are in Nigeria feeling the hardship, u are abroad talking about how bad Nigeria has gotten... You're weird.

Besides, anyone that has read Nigeria's history wouldn't like northern politicians.
I've family in Nigeria. The hardship affects me too.
That's not weird at all
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by niggaz4life: 2:07pm On May 19, 2016
Dudeweedlmao:
Why the sudden interest in nigeria?
its the birthplace of Jesus Christ

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Adminisher: 2:10pm On May 19, 2016
Biafra is NONSENSE that should stop. It is now a magnet for malevolent Islamic radical groups who are just lying in wait for a young , failing state to swoop on.
How can a Biafra fight Nigeria and two of or three global terrorist groups looking for access to the sea? .
Nigeria as a unified entity is the only functioning bulwark against expansionist radical Islam
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by niggaz4life: 2:12pm On May 19, 2016
Today the village is deserted, with shiny new padlocks fastened on the wood doors of mud-brick houses and hectares of cassava and melon crops abandoned until safer times.

hmmmm so 10 young fulani men made a whole igbo village run and hide and leave their whole village deserted. hmmmm brave igbo tribe indeed cry cry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Commentus2: 2:18pm On May 19, 2016
baby124:
Dailymail should concentrate on telling their government to return all stolen monies and properties and stop speculating about things they have no proof of. They know how to use "allegedly" very well. As they are not sure of anything. Ever.

You forget to add "Grants Scotland, Wale and North Ireland Independence join!

Abeg should help tell Mama Charles and her groons say dem no serious! cool
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Cubeet2: 2:18pm On May 19, 2016
niggaz4life:

hmmmm so 10 young fulani men made a whole igbo village run and hide and leave their whole village deserted. hmmmm brave igbo tribe indeed cry cry
Keep deceiving yourself from your shithole somewhere in Oshogbo.
Those Fulani should have attacked in broad day light, or should have stayed to fight after the indigenes of Nimbo armed themselves.
You think the Igbos are Cowards like the Mango Head Yorubas...
The whole Igbo Village ko,the Whole Universe ni

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by niggaz4life: 2:21pm On May 19, 2016
Cubeet2:
Keep deceiving yourself from your shithole somewhere in Oshogbo.
Those Fulani should have attacked in broad day light, or should have stayed to fight after the indigenes of Nimbo armed themselves.
You think the Igbos are Cowards like the Mango Head Yorubas...
The whole Igbo Village ko,the Whole Universe ni
undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by niggaz4life: 2:24pm On May 19, 2016
Dollyak:
Well, this sudden fascination with Nigeria seems like a kiss of death.
who is fascinated with nigeria ?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Cubeet2: 2:24pm On May 19, 2016
niggaz4life:
undecided

Deserted after the Fulani ran back to the bush or when then ran to Military barrack?
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by niggaz4life: 2:26pm On May 19, 2016
Cubeet2:

Deserted after the Fulani ran back to the bush or when then ran to Military barrack?
whats ya point ? that the herdsmen are nigerian military ? undecided
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by codemaniacs: 2:26pm On May 19, 2016
cococandy:

I've family in Nigeria. The hardship affects me too.
That's not weird at all

You're an adult probably a graduate. You work and earn a living there and can support your family in Nigeria. Even if you're a student, you'll still be able to work and support them.

Your situation is much better..
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Ahmeduana(m): 2:28pm On May 19, 2016
GloryIsaac:
These Fulani's aren't Nigerians to start with, but their causing problems everywhere undecided.. End product of having a bigoted presido sad , who knows? it could be a blessing in disguise, paving way for a new nation ....
THEY ARE NOT NIGERIANS BUT WERE IMPORTED INTO THE COUNTRY BY THEIR NIGERIA COUNTERPART BECAUSE OF THEIR KINDREL WAY OF LIFE THAT SAY AN ATTACK ON A FULANI IS ATTACK ON ALL FULANIS, AND A DEATH OF A FULANI IS REPAYABLE DEBT, WHAT A NONSENSE TRIBE!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by niggaz4life: 2:28pm On May 19, 2016
Macelliot:
The IPOB protest is the largest movement in ever in Africa. This movement shall never be erase in the pyramid of history of Africa.
larger than the south african apartheid protest movement ? larger than the arab spring ?
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Cubeet2: 2:30pm On May 19, 2016
niggaz4life:
whats ya point ? that the herdsmen are nigerian military ? undecided
My Point is they attacked the Villagers unaware, and ran back to the Bush, while some ran back far north to Neighboring Benue State. Some to the Military barrack claiming to be innocent
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by cococandy(f): 2:34pm On May 19, 2016
codemaniacs:

You're an adult probably a graduate. You work and earn a living there and can support your family in Nigeria. Even if you're a student, you'll still be able to work and support them.

Your situation is much better..
I know.
Still it doesn't make the situation any less worse than it is.
If one used to send $1 before, now they have to send $3.
Because tomato is not smiling. Neither is fuel.

My brother it's not better at all
Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by niggaz4life: 2:40pm On May 19, 2016
Cubeet2:

My Point is they attacked the Villagers unaware, and ran back to the Bush, while some ran back far north to Neighboring Benue State. Some to the Military barrack claiming to be innocent

But then they saw 20 young men descend from the hills and emerge from the palm tree forest, shooting AK-47 assault rifles in the air and waving machetes.

from that quote, the whole villagers saw 20 young men descend from the hills. that doesnt sound unawares. listen bro, its OK to admit to being weak. nothing wrong with being weak. not every tribe in the world can be strong. thats all i am saying bros.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by philit22(m): 2:44pm On May 19, 2016
The british govt is gradually washing dere hands from dis marriage dey created bck @ 1914...dey r also seeing dat every crisis is gearing to d division nd dey knw dat very soon United Nations will rise to d establishment of biafra..if dey cn insult dere ally to b fantastically corrupt nd nw post such against dem den dey r no longer with dem...pls Biafra is gradually moving to its destination...One. Biafra

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk by Cubeet2: 2:47pm On May 19, 2016
niggaz4life:

from that quote, the whole villagers saw 20 young men descend from the hills. that doesnt sound unawares. listen bro, its OK to admit to being weak. nothing wrong with being weak. not every tribe in the world can be strong. thats all i am saying bros.
They saw them Coming means they were prepared abi. The Fulanis arnt ghost, they are visible,so anyone could see them. They should have stayed after the indigenes got themselves armed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Writes Zuckerberg Via DHL Accusing Him Of Helping Buhari To Stop Opposition / Obasanjo’s Party Splits As New ADC Emerges / Oby Ezekwesili: Tinubu Is Overrated, Can't Even Control Alimosho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.