Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. (26520 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Start Your Own Work At Home Internet Business / 7 Reasons Why You Should Start Your Online Business Now!!! / 5 Strong Reasons Why Naira Will Keep Falling Against The Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Abatsam111(m): 7:40pm On May 19, 2016
At 22 I was working as a staff in a multinational bank, and having the time of my life. Two years later, I quit my job and started my own business. And yes, I was still in my twenties.

I was a young man who had good prospects in the banking industry, but I was willing to throw all that away. Lots of my colleagues in the bank thought I was out of my mind.

I kept on hearing statements like: “It’s a big risk”. “You could fail”. “It is very demanding”. “You will never have time again”. “You might go into debt”. And my favourite: “It is not easy”.

Presently, some of them have lost their jobs due to the recent dwindling price of oil which affected a lot of businesses. Many of them are now willing to start their own businesses, as getting new jobs has not been very easy.

I am grateful that I opted for entrepreneurship when I did. Was it a very easy decision for me? Absolutely not! I just had very strong reasons which pushed me to take that leap.

If you are still in your twenties and you have a business idea, launch out now. Below are 9 strong reasons to start a business in your twenties:

You still have the much needed drive
Starting a business is easy; building it into a successful enterprise is the hard part. It requires a lot of enthusiasm and drive.

There are times when the business will demand a whole lot, or all of your time. These are times when you may be so busy that you hardly sleep for some days, and you could break down unless you take these steps. These are days when you may not have enough money, so you are forced to do a lot of things by yourself so no delegation of dutiesfor you. Your drive may be all you have to keep you going on such days.

Since you are still in your twenties, chances are that you still have a lot of that much needed drive. Maximize it by starting a business now that you are still in your twenties.

2. You don’t have a lot to lose if you fail
The first business I started folded up a few months later. I was a college student back then and the demands of school were too much for me. I couldn’t just afford to give enough attention to my new business. I was not surprised when it failed.

The business was a telecom airtime voucher selling business that I started with about $120 dollars. When it folded, I quickly shifted all my attention to my studies. I had something else going on for me, and didn’t really have a lot to lose.

3. You can afford to take the risk.
If you are still in your early twenties, there are chances that you are not responsible for anybody else except yourself. You are probably not yet married; neither do you have a kid yet. That means that no matter what happens to you, you have just yourself to worry about.

This knowledge was what gave me the courage to quit my banking job and launch my own start-upsuccessfully.

4. There is no age restriction to business success.
Young and successful
I saw a story recently about how Tucker Hughes was able to build a business and become a millionaire at 22. His outstanding success proves yet again that when it comes to being successful, age is just a number.

5. You are still easily impressionable
One of the key factors that determine how successful you will be as an entrepreneur is how much you know with respect to your business. This factor will work to your favor if you start a business in your twenties.

This is because you can easily develop new skills, and learn a lot of things pertaining to your business. Doing this means you will succeed a lot faster than most of your counter parts.
6. You probably spend too much time on the internet.
There are a lot of online businesses that you can start by the way. But even if your business is not an online business in a sense, it will definitely need an online presence, at least because your business needs e-commerce to thrive.

A lot of people within your age bracket spend most of their time on the internet. If you do, rather than cut your online presence or social media activity, channel it towards your business.

7. Getting a job will be easier if you decide to switch than if you are older.
Everybody must not be an entrepreneur. If you try your hands on starting a business and you find out that you are not cut out for entrepreneurship, then you should return to the labour market. It will be a lot easier for you to get another job if you are still below 30.

Your Turn
How old were you when you started your first business? Is there any advantage you feel you had when you were younger? Please share your experience in the comment section.

Credit: http://www.mystartupceo.com/9-strong-reasons-start-business-twenties/

63 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Olasco93: 7:49pm On May 19, 2016
Good points You are very right OP.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by ojun50(m): 8:27pm On May 19, 2016
Op good point but hw we won do am na, for month now hv being sourcing for loan. Dis life

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Nobody: 6:32am On May 20, 2016
wink
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by free2ryhme: 6:32am On May 20, 2016
I know people sho start business in their 50s even those who has been doing theirs for decades no smell the profit this woman makes.

She has employed over 15 staffs

2 Likes

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Osemond123(m): 6:33am On May 20, 2016
Good points, love it

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by jamex93(m): 6:33am On May 20, 2016
Good points
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by hakeem4(m): 6:33am On May 20, 2016
Nice one

I'm starting soon
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Lattop(m): 6:34am On May 20, 2016
Thank u OP
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Nobody: 6:35am On May 20, 2016
That Kanuri proverb says ' the best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is NOW'.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by timilehing(m): 6:35am On May 20, 2016
Good but where is the capital?

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Pavore9: 6:35am On May 20, 2016
Nice write up.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by AgentXxx(m): 6:35am On May 20, 2016
Dayum!!!
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by mostyg(m): 6:36am On May 20, 2016
OP, May God bless you and your business abundantly.......
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by anochuko01(m): 6:37am On May 20, 2016
yaaaawns.... good morning op. I'm 23, I wanna start an importation business. any advice?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by thorbar(m): 6:38am On May 20, 2016
U right, Everyone will want to start even at 18 but no be money dem go take start?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by stzy(m): 6:40am On May 20, 2016
3 comments n it made fp... Wow

Stuff is weall have business ideas but when you do ur scale of preference ofwhat is reqquired for the business to start u found outthatthe money u have won't by all the essentials things and that's how u scrap an iidea for another n by the time u grt pass this process .... The rest is history
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Nature8(m): 6:42am On May 20, 2016
Nice one bro..
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by free2ryhme: 6:43am On May 20, 2016
You can start your business at any age you want

Don't wait till you are 22 or younger or older

The time to start is now

2 Likes

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by tiamiyukunle69(m): 6:43am On May 20, 2016
Lovely write up........ unfortunately most of us hardly have the drive and capital to start in Nigeria.......I did something related to business during my undergraduate days though....
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by gbaskiboy: 6:44am On May 20, 2016
Let me drop comment before I read.... If incase I forget to modify the comment u can quote me to summarize it for me
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by virginboy1(m): 6:44am On May 20, 2016
Many youth are indeed scared of putting their hard earn money into any business for now.

Due to the paranoia syndrome of being scammed, epileptic power supply,no fuel, in fact no motivation.

sighssss.

I pray say one day e go better.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by AnusOdourInhaler: 6:47am On May 20, 2016
Educative and inspirational
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Nobody: 6:49am On May 20, 2016
God bless OP!

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by donogaga(m): 6:49am On May 20, 2016
Very True.

I had to resign from my previous place of work. Now I have my own coy, registered with CAC as expected.

Am into supply of AGO.

We are 100% committed to ensure our client's satisfaction by delivering high quality, pure and unadulterated diesel , at a competitive rate.

Pure, unadulterated diesel delivered to your home, office and business.

My intention since the start had been to create a more independent and flexible lifestyle.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by octopusfreaky(f): 6:49am On May 20, 2016
With the present economy, i would advice youths to work with their hands and be independent cox it may get to a stage where govt and private companies wont be able to pay salaries?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by erayo2GCA(m): 6:49am On May 20, 2016
Theories
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by kwynette(f): 6:50am On May 20, 2016
Biko all these na talk, how old was Albert Kroc when he started running the McDonald's chain, anybody can run a good business once you put your mind to it, twenties, thirties, hundreds, they are just numbers

9 Likes

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by FohowNigeria: 6:53am On May 20, 2016
ojun50:
Op good point but hw we won do am na, for month now hv being sourcing for loan. Dis life

put your mind off loan because any business you start up with loan is a bad business in the first place.

the business you start up that help you raised capital for the second line of business is your true start up business.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by bigx(m): 6:53am On May 20, 2016
Started at 23 too & still rocking it cheesy

Best decision ever
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by yomalex(m): 6:54am On May 20, 2016
good tips Need Mobile Marketing Services for your Business check my signature
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by agulion: 6:56am On May 20, 2016
my Igbo brothers knew this since the time of Abraham

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts / First Bank Suspends International Transactions On Naira Cards From September 30 / Wheelbarrow Shopping: Shopping With A Difference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.