Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. (26514 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Start Your Own Work At Home Internet Business / 7 Reasons Why You Should Start Your Online Business Now!!! / 5 Strong Reasons Why Naira Will Keep Falling Against The Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by kvngveektour(m): 8:11am On May 20, 2016
timilehing:
Good but where is the capital?I'm sure you gonna blame government again
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by kvngveektour(m): 8:12am On May 20, 2016
timilehing:
Good but where is the capital?
I'm sure you gonna blame government again
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Cupidkc(m): 8:39am On May 20, 2016
On point.... Start small and watch ur biz grow with you.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by misscall247: 8:43am On May 20, 2016
octopusfreaky:
With the present economy, i would advice youths to work with their hands and be independent cox it may get to a stage where govt and private companies wont be able to pay salaries?
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by misscall247: 8:43am On May 20, 2016
octopusfreaky:
With the present economy, i would advice youths to work with their hands and be independent cox it may get to a stage where govt and private companies wont be able to pay salaries?
you are right.......how do I reach so we talk business
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Moyanbe(m): 8:47am On May 20, 2016
Wow..I love this write up. I had great passion for agriculture and i went for training, 4 years after.. Am proud to be a Farm manager, consultant, Farm owner, irrigation system installer and an online businessman. Just in my mid twenties..though it wasnt easy but am happy to say that i never searched for job, they all search for me.
Now, i just relax as i and my team do the work.
Note: No matter where you are located, people will locate you if you are the best

#teamfarmlife www.farmlifeng.com
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by oscillation55(m): 8:50am On May 20, 2016
ojun50:
Op good point but hw we won do am na, for month now hv being sourcing for loan. Dis life
start small then obtain credit facility if possible, the best credit facility for those doing buying and selling remains buying over and then paying back in a record time. A senior bank official once told me that starting a business with loan hasn't been the best approach as some business disintegrate under pressure hence a bad dept, when bank follow up with recouping their investment (loan) through collateral sales that's bankruptcy for the young and promising entrepreneur.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by achi4u(m): 8:51am On May 20, 2016
Well I don't know the type of business the Op is try to talk about but if it were the types we Igbos run then you need to be tutored and be Able to learn the rope.
You can't just see a business and jump into it simply because you see Peter and John doing well in it,,,, because you have capital and drive then be rest assured that that ur first capital will go down unless you are very lucky.
Another hidden truth is, you have to be very diligent and be ready to get dirty... Ur initial capital is the seed of ur business

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by ayoolataiwo(m): 9:00am On May 20, 2016
Tnx op,i started mine @22 bt it fold up dis yr when i relocated to Abuja nw am 27,doing biz here isnt an easy task.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Nobody: 10:06am On May 20, 2016
Op could u advice me on lucrative business ideas I could venture into.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by slavemerchant: 10:09am On May 20, 2016
kwynette:
Biko all these na talk, how old was Albert Kroc when he started running the McDonald's chain, anybody can run a good business once you put your mind to it, twenties, thirties, hundreds, they are just numbers

You have said it all, intelligent lady
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Kellyakon(f): 10:38am On May 20, 2016
Am a lady of twenty one, i have a hundred thousand bucks, that am willing to invest rather thanleave it staying in the bank, but problem is I don't know what biz or investment to go into.
NB; I also have a little paying job.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Kellyakon(f): 10:38am On May 20, 2016
Am a lady of twenty one, i have a hundred thousand bucks, that am willing to invest rather than leave it staying in the bank, but problem is I don't know what business or investment to go into.
NB; I also have a little paying job.
your suggestions will be appreciated.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by manie(m): 10:42am On May 20, 2016
tiamiyukunle69:
Lovely write up........ unfortunately most of us hardly have the drive and capital to start in Nigeria.......I did something related to business during my undergraduate days though....

What you need is the drive and idea.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by salveoP(m): 10:47am On May 20, 2016
Thanks so much for dis piece. U just reinvigorated me... I am going back to the drawing board.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by seedorfg(m): 11:31am On May 20, 2016
i want to start a textile (okrika) business but i dont know were to start and besides my budget is about 20 thousand, what do i do @ OP
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Laredojohn(m): 11:35am On May 20, 2016
Op u are very correct, started mine while I was 25, had worked for two years then, my job gave me time though, cos I work for the Govt. Many feel business is for those who have no job, not knowing is virtually for all, for those in well paid jobs as a backup incase the job is gone, for others, as a support to the present job
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:19pm On May 20, 2016
2undexy:

seconded and thirded....the country is just too harsh now buh kosi were...mio lowo bi dangote nisin buh mati were bo.

ma ti were bo ooooooo

Suru ni ere
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:33pm On May 20, 2016
grossintel:
. Write a robust business plan, register your business name with cooperate affairs, and seek for investors or partners don't go with its my business and my own mentality. All you need is draft an agreement with your partners and they will share your profit and loss with you and you will sleep well at night. Don't go borrowing you will be under intense pressure to pay back and this will kill your drive.

Bros, I love the idea of joint ownership but U advised individuals here to register a business with CAC without a list of subscribers to the company & without Nominal share capital of the company.

I don't understand what U are trying to say here.

Secondly, apart from the idea, what else do I have to offer? Won't my limited contribution drastically reduce my share in the company?
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 20, 2016
OLUJOSHINS:

Bros, I love the idea of joint ownership but U advised individuals here to register a business with CAC without a list of subscribers to the company & without Nominal share capital of the company.

I didn't mention joint ownership. I only encouraged partnership, I mean a memorandum of understanding between you and any investor or partner you bring into your business. You don't have to submit a list of subscribers or nominal share capital because you aren't selling any share capital. What I simply did was to reach an agreement between I and my business partners which will be valid for sometime before it's reviewed, all you need is a very good business idea and the drive to execute it. I learnt this from youwin business training.. I didn't win any grant, but it helped me build my businesses.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Rajosh(m): 12:49pm On May 20, 2016
donbrowser:

The government is not even helping matters, what stops you from using your certificates as collateral for business loan from the government?

Lemme answer: corruption! Yet the house keep earning big.

Awon werey jati jati
you have a very strong point my brother
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 20, 2016
Rajosh:
op you're from a wealthy home that's why it's easy for you. I'm a graduate, I'm in my early 20s I have the drive and urge to go into business, I've got business ideas. NO CAPITAL. that's the problem of many youths here.
You might be wrong my pastor use to say where you are today is because of what you know(David Ibiyeomie) . I can tell you I started my business with almost nothing back then, capital was important but strategy was more important to me. A certain company opened just next to me and invested millions in the same line if business I was doing and everyone thought I will fold up in few months. Guess what, they where wrong instead the company folded that branch in 8 months leaving 3 years rent behind. Don't think all you need is money cause it's not.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by manie(m): 1:16pm On May 20, 2016
OLUJOSHINS:

Secondly, apart from the idea, what else do I have to offer? Won't my limited contribution drastically reduce my share in the company?

It is better to own 10% of a highly profitable business, than to own 100% of a dying business.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by uvalued(m): 1:17pm On May 20, 2016
Abatsam111:
At 22 I was working as a staff in a multinational bank, and having the time of my life. Two years later, I quit my job and started my own business. And yes, I was still in my twenties.

I was a young man who had good prospects in the banking industry, but I was willing to throw all that away. Lots of my colleagues in the bank thought I was out of my mind.

I kept on hearing statements like: “It’s a big risk”. “You could fail”. “It is very demanding”. “You will never have time again”. “You might go into debt”. And my favourite: “It is not easy”.

Presently, some of them have lost their jobs due to the recent dwindling price of oil which affected a lot of businesses. Many of them are now willing to start their own businesses, as getting new jobs has not been very easy.

I am grateful that I opted for entrepreneurship when I did. Was it a very easy decision for me? Absolutely not! I just had very strong reasons which pushed me to take that leap.

If you are still in your twenties and you have a business idea, launch out now. Below are 9 strong reasons to start a business in your twenties:

You still have the much needed drive
Starting a business is easy; building it into a successful enterprise is the hard part. It requires a lot of enthusiasm and drive.

There are times when the business will demand a whole lot, or all of your time. These are times when you may be so busy that you hardly sleep for some days, and you could break down unless you take these steps. These are days when you may not have enough money, so you are forced to do a lot of things by yourself so no delegation of dutiesfor you. Your drive may be all you have to keep you going on such days.

Since you are still in your twenties, chances are that you still have a lot of that much needed drive. Maximize it by starting a business now that you are still in your twenties.

2. You don’t have a lot to lose if you fail
The first business I started folded up a few months later. I was a college student back then and the demands of school were too much for me. I couldn’t just afford to give enough attention to my new business. I was not surprised when it failed.

The business was a telecom airtime voucher selling business that I started with about $120 dollars. When it folded, I quickly shifted all my attention to my studies. I had something else going on for me, and didn’t really have a lot to lose.

3. You can afford to take the risk.
If you are still in your early twenties, there are chances that you are not responsible for anybody else except yourself. You are probably not yet married; neither do you have a kid yet. That means that no matter what happens to you, you have just yourself to worry about.

This knowledge was what gave me the courage to quit my banking job and launch my own start-upsuccessfully.

4. There is no age restriction to business success.
Young and successful
I saw a story recently about how Tucker Hughes was able to build a business and become a millionaire at 22. His outstanding success proves yet again that when it comes to being successful, age is just a number.

5. You are still easily impressionable
One of the key factors that determine how successful you will be as an entrepreneur is how much you know with respect to your business. This factor will work to your favor if you start a business in your twenties.

This is because you can easily develop new skills, and learn a lot of things pertaining to your business. Doing this means you will succeed a lot faster than most of your counter parts.
6. You probably spend too much time on the internet.
There are a lot of online businesses that you can start by the way. But even if your business is not an online business in a sense, it will definitely need an online presence, at least because your business needs e-commerce to thrive.

A lot of people within your age bracket spend most of their time on the internet. If you do, rather than cut your online presence or social media activity, channel it towards your business.

7. Getting a job will be easier if you decide to switch than if you are older.
Everybody must not be an entrepreneur. If you try your hands on starting a business and you find out that you are not cut out for entrepreneurship, then you should return to the labour market. It will be a lot easier for you to get another job if you are still below 30.

Your Turn
How old were you when you started your first business? Is there any advantage you feel you had when you were younger? Please share your experience in the comment section.

Credit: http://www.mystartupceo.com/9-strong-reasons-start-business-twenties/
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by manie(m): 1:19pm On May 20, 2016
Rajosh:
op you're from a wealthy home that's why it's easy for you. I'm a graduate, I'm in my early 20s I have the drive and urge to go into business, I've got business ideas. NO CAPITAL. that's the problem of many youths here.

That is not possible, how many businesses have you done when you were in high school and in the University. People who have a natural flair for business will never complain of capital.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by manie(m): 1:22pm On May 20, 2016
rheether:

Capital isn't the problem. When the idea is good, people will come in wth their money.

People complaining about capital should first of all approach their family members, relatives, neighbours, church members, school mates for funds. At least those ones know you and can trust you, it is when you build a track record that banks and other financiers will be willing to provide more capital.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by manie(m): 1:25pm On May 20, 2016
donbrowser:

The government is not even helping matters, what stops you from using your certificates as collateral for business loan from the government?

Lemme answer: corruption! Yet the house keep earning big.

Awon werey jati jati

Your certificate is worthless in the business world, it may be valuable in the labour market. Nobody will accept your certificate as a collateral for a business loan.

Your track record in business is a better collateral.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by belcom10(m): 2:05pm On May 20, 2016
i think i should embrace entrepreneurship, you can believe it because of the current situation in the country which affected so many coy. In the company where i work, we were ask to rewrite application or reapply our application to the company.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by NDdking: 2:28pm On May 20, 2016
free2ryhme:
I know people sho start business in their 50s even those who has been doing theirs for decades no smell the profit this woman makes.

She has employed over 15 staffs
Are you encouraging or discouraging?
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by free2ryhme: 2:38pm On May 20, 2016
NDdking:
Are you encouraging or discouraging?

I am not restricting business to a particular starting age
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by shex202(m): 3:29pm On May 20, 2016
timilehing:

Capital can never be a problem to starting a lucrative business, from experience the problem is identifying a SELL-ABLE IDEA. I wish to start up my business soon, but d challenge am having now is the availability of IDEA dat can fetch good money, the capital is not a problem as I can raise about 2 million without any stress.
Re: 7 Strong Reasons You Should Start A Business In Your Twenties. by omachimyk(m): 6:22pm On May 20, 2016
timilehing:
You dont need money first

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts / “How Linda Ikeji Makes Millions Blogging” – [YES Magazine Interview] / First Bank Suspends International Transactions On Naira Cards From September 30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.