Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,322 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike (12754 Views)

Court Stops Labour From Going On Strike Over Fuel Price Hike / FG To Propose N45,000 Minimum Wage, Meets Labour Today / Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by gidjah(m): 10:59am On May 20, 2016
forget that bros talking one sided in his mouth pls, most of us even on this forum do not work for the govt, rather private entrepreneurs, I for one wont feel the minimum wage thing, save that few public officers may patronise me here and there. It is high time govt sanitise its system, its made to look as if the financial greatness of every one lies with the govt!, that's why you see every dick head running to work in the fed ministries, bribing their ways thru evil processes.SO if you do not work in the public office, you wont be able to buy a land, house and super cars for comfort. We all know that most of them public officers cheat to make such kind of whealth , why is our economy govt driven and not private sector driven, just like in advance countries, that's the major reason why Nigeria is still crawling economically till date .GOD GO EPP US O!
donpata:

you probably don't understand my point. I am not planning on staying on my current job for long mind you. Plus my mum is a fed worker. The minimum wage may thus benefit me anyhow. But to bring the issue to the table where fuel hike is gonna be discussed is so not cool. The same FG is claiming the workforce is too much. What happens if they cut jobs later? Of cos na small small everything they start. Shebi workers no gri support NLC. Whttp://www.nairaland.com/newpost?post=45788519&topic=3116096hen Buhari cuts jobs, them go seek NLC but will not find
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by agog: 11:16am On May 20, 2016
will your 1.3% that collect the minimum wage stack it up in their bedroom?? Pls be objective, minimum wage will benefit everybody whether on paid job or being an artisan or running a personal one-man business

donpata:
Many NLanders who dont support NLC strike keep saying NLC should talk of minimum wage rather than fuel hike. I think that's a weak point of argument and so i won ask: "How Many People Minimum Wage don Epp?"

My point is simple: If anyone wants to argue for deregulation as being the best option, then its best to do so without bringing the minimum wage into it cos that is a story for another day.

I therefore believe that NLC was right for refusing to negotiate minimum wage at a meeting meant to address fuel hike. Also, there is no how FG would claim min wage is a "palliative" because that is a baseless argument.

The fact stands that:
1. Based on records, the FG has about 90k staff. Add up the security agencies and it may be save to say that FG has around 500k people on its payroll. Now if we relate that to 160mill Nigerians, that's about 0.3% of our total population.

2. Lagos State employs the largest work force after the FG. Kaduna has about 90k staff on its payroll. Oyo about 86k. Let's assume an average of 60k staff for the 36 states of the federation. We should thus have about 2.1mill state workers and this represents a meagre 1.3% of our total population (I know its likely higher).

3. The minimum wage they want to review will also only affect these 0.3% FG workers because the last time i checked, about 26 states are currently battling with the issue of salaries which is based on 18k minimum wage. This is besides the fact that many states have not even implemented the 18k min wage.

For instance, Kaduna State govt where i work uses 15k as min wage. On level 8, am paid 36k and note that i have a BSc, PGDE, and MSc. My boss who also has MSc. is on Lev 16 and is paid 123k.
Now relate the above to the fact that a diploma holder on FGs payroll earns upwards of 45k depending on the institution/agency.

4. Thus, how can FG hike fuel price and introduce Minimum wage of 45k (or so) as "palliative" for something that will only affect just 0.3% of our population? (dependants noted but excluded)
* What about communities that dont have any federal worker? How do they benefit from the so called "palliatives"?

5. Besides Lagos which may be able to pay its workers any reviewed minimum wage, which other state can pay?

6. It is general knowledge that the price of fuel affects over 90% of Nigerians as compared to minimum wage that will only benefit a few.

7. If i invite people to a ceremony and some eat 3 plates while others take just 1, i believe everyone eats based his stomach's carrying capacity so i got no reason to vex. Wetin concern me with that oga that Govt is subsidizing the fuel he uses in his SUV? subsidize for me too according to my stomach- (1.4lt engine) and i will be happy.

8. What about those who are not even on Govt pay roll? The farmers, petty traders, students, barbers, phone charging vendors, the maisuya and the grocery shop owners who use Tiger Generator? What about the students that go to school daily and the workers that will be paying a hiked TP fare? Which do they benefit from? Min wage abi Low Pump Price?

9. They claim the N145 pump price will ensure availability of product but we all know its a lie. Right now in Kaduna, the queues are gradually returning again. Of cos the marketers are exhausting their products and will thus have to go and buy with dollar at 340. With this "deregulation" and CBN FX policy, i think N145 is not the ceiling but rather the floor.

10. Finally, shebi they said they have N3trn in TSA. Make them use am arrange the Refinery nah or are they keeping it for 2019?

SUMMARY
FOR those who did not read my epistle, all i'm saying is govt should argue for the good of deregulation but never bring in increased minimum wage as a "palliative" cos it only DIRECTLY benefits less than1% of the Nigerian population. They want to getaway with the insensitive fuel hike easily. Min. Wage is a necessary discussion for another day.
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by blackpanda: 12:29pm On May 20, 2016
futurenix:

Guess u don't even know why fuel is 145 naira.

Will the government fix the black market rate for the dollars where the marketers will buy from?

What do you think will happen when all the marketers need, say 5 million dollars a month and only 2 million is available in the black market which will eventually be diminishing with time?

Let me explain to u a little

Eventually black marketers who have the dollars will increase their rate to say 400/$, again the fuel importers can't afford it because they will be at a loss after importation.

Fuel again will become scarce for months and the price maybe 250-300 naira per liter. Government will sympathize with them again and peg it at say 220/230.
Every one will shout Sai baba Sai baba let's endure it for a while since he is fighting corruption and things will get better soon.

Again the demand for the dollars will be more than the supply and the rate will again go up continuing the process until it gets to 1000 naira a litre and vandalisation of cars for fuel will commence, By this time probably (if nothing is done to make peace with the avengers), Nigeria will be producing little or no crude, job losses will increase to 50% and we all will be looking for the nearest country to migrate to.

My humble opinion is

CBN should consider paying beneficiaries the foreign currency sent to them. If possible establish money transfer organs around the globe for those in diaspora who wish to send money to Nigeria.

This may put more foreign currency in circulation and cushion the effect of its high demand.

Nice one. Except for one thingh there is already too much forex in circulation. Billions of dollars stashed in the bank which cbn cant get to

But going on strike solves nothing. NLC goofed big time!
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by pabloid(m): 1:20pm On May 20, 2016
This is the most sensible thread I've seen in a long time on nairaland. thank God our apc mods allowed it to get to fp. keep it up guy

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by ralfdudu1: 1:50pm On May 20, 2016
donpata:
Many NLanders who dont support NLC strike keep saying NLC should talk of minimum wage rather than fuel hike. I think that's a weak point of argument and so i won ask: "How Many People Minimum Wage don Epp?"

My point is simple: If anyone wants to argue for deregulation as being the best option, then its best to do so without bringing the minimum wage into it cos that is a story for another day.

I therefore believe that NLC was right for refusing to negotiate minimum wage at a meeting meant to address fuel hike. Also, there is no how FG would claim min wage is a "palliative" because that is a baseless argument.

The fact stands that:
1. Based on records, the FG has about 90k staff. Add up the security agencies and it may be save to say that FG has around 500k people on its payroll. Now if we relate that to 160mill Nigerians, that's about 0.3% of our total population.

2. Lagos State employs the largest work force after the FG. Kaduna has about 90k staff on its payroll. Oyo about 86k. Let's assume an average of 60k staff for the 36 states of the federation. We should thus have about 2.1mill state workers and this represents a meagre 1.3% of our total population (I know its likely higher).

3. The minimum wage they want to review will also only affect these 0.3% FG workers because the last time i checked, about 26 states are currently battling with the issue of salaries which is based on 18k minimum wage. This is besides the fact that many states have not even implemented the 18k min wage.

For instance, Kaduna State govt where i work uses 15k as min wage. On level 8, am paid 36k and note that i have a BSc, PGDE, and MSc. My boss who also has MSc. is on Lev 16 and is paid 123k.
Now relate the above to the fact that a diploma holder on FGs payroll earns upwards of 45k depending on the institution/agency.

4. Thus, how can FG hike fuel price and introduce Minimum wage of 45k (or so) as "palliative" for something that will only affect just 0.3% of our population? (dependants noted but excluded)
* What about communities that dont have any federal worker? How do they benefit from the so called "palliatives"?

5. Besides Lagos which may be able to pay its workers any reviewed minimum wage, which other state can pay?

6. It is general knowledge that the price of fuel affects over 90% of Nigerians as compared to minimum wage that will only benefit a few.

7. If i invite people to a ceremony and some eat 3 plates while others take just 1, i believe everyone eats based his stomach's carrying capacity so i got no reason to vex. Wetin concern me with that oga that Govt is subsidizing the fuel he uses in his SUV? subsidize for me too according to my stomach- (1.4lt engine) and i will be happy.

8. What about those who are not even on Govt pay roll? The farmers, petty traders, students, barbers, phone charging vendors, the maisuya and the grocery shop owners who use Tiger Generator? What about the students that go to school daily and the workers that will be paying a hiked TP fare? Which do they benefit from? Min wage abi Low Pump Price?

9. They claim the N145 pump price will ensure availability of product but we all know its a lie. Right now in Kaduna, the queues are gradually returning again. Of cos the marketers are exhausting their products and will thus have to go and buy with dollar at 340. With this "deregulation" and CBN FX policy, i think N145 is not the ceiling but rather the floor.

10. Finally, shebi they said they have N3trn in TSA. Make them use am arrange the Refinery nah or are they keeping it for 2019?

SUMMARY
FOR those who did not read my epistle, all i'm saying is govt should argue for the good of deregulation but never bring in increased minimum wage as a "palliative" cos it only DIRECTLY benefits less than1% of the Nigerian population. They want to getaway with the insensitive fuel hike easily. Min. Wage is a necessary discussion for another day.
what the union dues they deduct from my salaries.is it everybody that also pays that dues.abeg let talk about minimum wage
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by mikolo80: 2:05pm On May 20, 2016
daftpikin:

Did you read the write-up at all?

He's not saying minimum wage shouldn't be increased, he's only saying it should not be the palliative for increased fuel price as it's only a few that would benefit from it
are you a Nigerian at all. how old.who palliative don help. do you trust these politicians to implement anything serious like mass transit and bullet trains in the next four years. ordinary refinery, let's just be thanking goodness for dangote but even that one will prolly end up like the cement debacle once he has no competition. (let's hope ifeanyi Uba, as criminally inclined as he is has plan to build his own refinery so there will be some kind of competition.) I'm talking reality your talking fantasy. if the Nigerian worker(3 million approx ) doesn't collet his own share then politicians will continue spending one trillion on national Assembly (less than 500 eediots) .of course I know I'm text book economics it doesn't owe sense but this is Nigeria man, textbook doesn't work here. so let them share the money to the people instead of dia saraki and Dino buying luxury cars for themselves and dia girlfriends. at least Civil servants will spend the money in the market so that (160 million )will get their own share and it will force the politicians to invest their loot in infrastructure not just spending billions on their own consumpťion, no production whatsoever. at least money trickling down to the people will support farmers albeit inefficiently. but why we de even argue sef when we both know that nobody will give them any minimum wage and they lack the needful to fight for it to the bitter end. they're just doing eye service so they the labour keeps can be bribed to pipe down. no be so oshiomole do till him chop gwamna hammer. abegi mowu hia word. common man not ready to fight for his share of nat'l cake (why he will remain poor and miserable)
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by mikolo80: 2:10pm On May 20, 2016
donpata:

you probably don't understand my point. I am not planning on staying on my current job for long mind you. Plus my mum is a fed worker. The minimum wage may thus benefit me anyhow. But to bring the issue to the table where fuel hike is gonna be discussed is so not cool. The same FG is claiming the workforce is too much. What happens if they cut jobs later? Of cos na small small everything they start. Shebi workers no gri support NLC. When Buhari cuts jobs, them go seek NLC but will not find
see my brother, the people are tired of textbook economics, how the govt solve the problem is not their business, stomach infrastructure is the koko. and until the politicians take a financial hit they will not sit up. higher minimum wage means less money to loot so they will be forced to become productive instead of stealing and misbehaving with cheap money. if labour doesn't use fuel hike excuse to mobilise ppl what else do you want them to use. the only other thing that brings Nigerians to the streets is if you ban super eagles from playing ball. we are indeed a strange ppl, no light, no water, no roads but it is football and burial and wedding ceremony we take serious
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by aminoacid01(f): 2:27pm On May 20, 2016
For you to say increase in minimum wage would affect only a few is very myopic. Don't 4get that these workers have families who would directly feel the impact of 'daddy's pocket'. Also, traders would also feel the effect.
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by CSTR6: 7:55pm On May 20, 2016
Arsenate:
this is the smartest comment so far as far as I'm concern.
Ops analysis is hugely flawed and it's surprising no one has actually pointed it out.
He claims that only 500k people will benefit from the increase in minimum wage but he totally forgot that each of these workers have between 4-10 dependents, and some situations much more. We are talking about a ripple effect on at least 3-4 million people. Furthermore, workers earning more money simply implies they could be able to meet up with the already higher prices of goods and services in the markets.
That's more money for everyone at the end of the day.
The Op is not looking at the big picture.
Yes, just simply pump more money into circulation and increase the rate of inflation further.
Buharinomics.
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by Eyona(m): 8:26pm On May 20, 2016
golor:
One thing I know for sure is that,the NLC strike will nd can never affect d hike of fuel price and in essence nigeria will benefit for it,both d poor and rich, NLC or what ever they called them self should go and sit somewhere.okay least I forget, they have never showed them self ever since dis gvt,that why de came out, so that nigeria will believe they still exist.foolz

Finally, we will all be a winner, be it PDP or APC,the critics can go ahead but, by d time d APC led gvt puts nigeria in a good shape,we will all be a winner, tho d critics might be shy to say wow,indeed Mr president is a Good man.

Just this same way I believe APC will kick PDP out of seat, despite d existing tradition of not unseating d incubate,is the same way I still believe d APC, despite d situation nd heavy critics.....

One thing is for sure,d APC led gvt,no matter how worst it gvt is,it will times 10 better than it predecessor.

GOD bless naija

GOD bless Mr president

And may GOD bless us all,who still believe in the progress of Mr president nd the well Growth of NIGERIA.
I pity your flagrant display of ignorance. I believe u were waiting to buy fuel at the rate of #40 but to ur disappointment its #145.
The fact is that govt can't pay min wage across board n fuel pump price will continue to soar. Please let's not pretend because it's "baba".
It's beyond seating or unseating any political party.
God bless us all.
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by 9japride(m): 4:41pm On May 27, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
they are never on point.....always fuel na in they carry for head...when last have they went to strike for another thing?...are the NIgeria labour for fuel congress?!!...look bro....people are been cheated daily at work,chinese and indians aare treating their workers badly everyday in the factory...the NLC has not deemed it right to do anything about it..they need to redeem their image,they have lost focus
[color=#006600][/color]

U r not far from d truth
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by wordychap: 5:24pm On May 27, 2016
So on point,
Truly revisit fuel price hike, but
Increase in minimum wage still remains a case for another day
Re: Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike by rose54321: 5:31pm On May 27, 2016
Nigeria is at the early stages of a recession, there is no money in circulation., it's for this reason the ministry of finance is pursuing an expansionary monetary policy.

If the minimum wage is increased, there's a likelihood the whole consolidated salary structure is reviewed upwards, this means more money for civil servants.

When you have more money you spend more - buy more clothes from the market, more food items etc. Buying more means sellers ultimately make more money, they inturn purchase more from farmers and so on and so on..

That's the multiplier effect of an increase in salary. You shouldn't look at it in isolation, rather holistically in the context of the whole ecnomony.

That said, I doubt the FG, at this point, can afford a review in the salary structure,

so my pallitive would have been more buses distributed to all states and the FCT, increase in fertilizer subsidy (this would reduce the cost of production and ultimately the selling price), reduce the taxation rate (income tax, company tax, export tax etc etc),

The are many other palliative if the government really means business.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

INEC Letter Affirming Eyitayo Jegede As PDP Candidate In Ondo Election / Ahmad Lawan: Non-Performing Service Chiefs Can Go / Sanwo-Olu Proclaims Lagos 10th Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.