Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share (16664 Views)

Nigerian Victim Of Gas Explosion Shows Shocking Recovery Photos, fans react. / Dangers Of Excessive Smoking, A Victim You Should See / 6-Year-old Boko Haram Victim Shocked Dubai Doctors Begins To Walk (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by chrispratt: 9:39am On May 28, 2016
sleek82:
sometimes this is not the fault of the person that gave the injection but the fact that after the injection was given, it wasnt rubbed well and in turn caused an abscess

Abscess is not caused by lack of rubbing. At my kids' hospital we are advised not to rub. Injection abscess is quite simply, an infection at the injection site.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by marcusaurelio(m): 9:41am On May 28, 2016
A doctor asked me to swallow a 2500mg at once which I did but I was sweating profusely with my back almost got ripped off he later apologised that it was a mistake
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by djlaqua91(m): 9:53am On May 28, 2016
That was how when I had a serious eye injury(glass entered my eye), one yeye doctor in a private hospital was injecting me with Malaria/Typhoid drip. My father almost killed that man. Was later transferred to a teaching hospital where they performed the operation without anaesthetic to remove the glass. Lost the eye though. I was five then. It's well.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by qoura123(m): 10:23am On May 28, 2016
Nnemuka:
yeah i know a friend who had irregular menstruation, visited her doctor and was informed it was an infection.
Quack doctor claimed it was an ovarian cyst that requires surgery to be removed.

Unfortunately in the process of surgery damaged her womb, so womb had to be removed.
she was aged 17 then, right now she is well over 30 still single and never saw her menstruation again.

Another happened at "Boshan" doctor claimed she has fibroid, scheduled her for an operation and afterwards he came out to inform us that it was appendix.
Advice: majority of Naija doc are quacks, especially the ones trained in Nigeria.
why is she still single na?
I hate going to hospital except a friend or family is sick for me I can never be sick cos my food is my medicine and my medicine is my food,
some once visit me and was trying to convince me to do a medical check up after much talk I agreed
fast forward 20 days later he brought the result I had like 10 sickness and bla bla bla that I must start taking drugs eyo eyo eyo
I looked at him and smile told him ogbeni swerve no today try again later
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by sleek82(m): 10:25am On May 28, 2016
Mbediogu:

Impossible with minor procedures like appendix and hernias but 'may be' with big and messy surgeries. Perhaps you are one of those who patronize quacks. Instruments and swabs are counted before surgery and before closure of all surgical patients, and again before patients are wheeled out to recovery room. See trained and qualified and experienced people like mbediogu.
im sure you understand that it is almost impossible to tell who is a quack doctor until a silly mistake is made.....we all go to the hospitals with our hopes raised to get better, or are we suppose to ask the doctor that wants to treat us for his certification before treatments?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Bluffly: 10:29am On May 28, 2016
nairalandbuzz:
Yes!

I was sick then and I decided to use my HMO.. Went to hospital and was treated for Malaria... Still sick and was treated for Malaria again using injections and then I went there again that I wasn't getting any better and I was told I have mild depression...

I was like ha! Ewo ni mild depression They gave Mr some medications in the anti depressants range and it made matters worse and was adviced to see a psychiatrist and at that point, I now agreed with my wife to follow her to Gbagada general hospital as she has been saying... On getting there, I was asked to do a test same one I did at the previous hospital and from their own result, they said its just vitamin deficiency and gave me B Co to use twice morning and evening... After like two days, I was feeling life and getting better and I was like alas!

On going back to the precious hospital to ask questions they said their own test won't show those statistics that was shown in general hospital cos I am not a walk in patient... That as HMO patient, that was the directive they got.

I queried the HMO and they got nothing to say... I called the doc (cos he is a friend) that he should give me a lost of HMO that he trusts and my HMO is even in top three and then confided in me that do u know a certain HMO instructed us not to give antibiotics to kids for cough?

It was then that I had to think twice... Where are we going in this nation? HMO is a scam and its the real blame here... No wonder general hospitals ain't included on their list.

So, I now watch what I eat, installed mosquito net in all rooms, and this mortein continuous flit - don't know the name... Cos I don't wanna have any reason to face hospital HMO.

If the HMO's are against antibiotics for children it's because the risk is greater than the solution it provides. Antibiotics can make children prone to Type 2 diabetes.
The Hospital's are the one trading patients because the HMO's gave them clear terms. The hospital was meant to come out in clear times about what they cover and what they do not.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by sleek82(m): 10:30am On May 28, 2016
chrispratt:

Abscess is not caused by lack of rubbing. At my kids' hospital we are advised not to rub. Injection abscess is quite simply, an infection at the injection site.
thanks for the correction....its just an idea i have always been taught by those silly nurses who told me back then that if i dont rub my bumbum well, i will have abscess

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by nkemdi89(f): 10:37am On May 28, 2016
My doctor last year December said I had cancer of the stomach instead of ulcer, wanted me to carry out endoscopy, same man told a woman she had HIV because of her constant headache also another man that his son had liver problem. An Italian pharmacist mistakenly gave me a lubricant tablet for toilet infection, though I could attribute language barrier to that one.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by sleek82(m): 10:43am On May 28, 2016
As a matter of fact, if you have not travelled outside the country, you wont understand the fact that the medical practice in Nigeria is suicidal.......where you can just go to any pharmacy and buy antibiotics or a doctor will just write something for you and tell you to go buy it at any pharmacy.....in advance countries (though i have not been to somany but in Canada) that doesnt happen....even if you are dying in front of the pharmacist, they will never sell you any antibiotics without a proper, well detailed precription note from a doctor and all your details would be written on the drug container. The only drugs you can buy at will are pain killers and cough syrups

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by chrispratt: 11:01am On May 28, 2016
sleek82:
As a matter of fact, if you have not travelled outside the country, you wont understand the fact that the medical practice in Nigeria is suicidal.......where you can just go to any pharmacy and buy antibiotics or a doctor will just write something for you and tell you to go buy it at any pharmacy.....in advance countries (though i have not been to somany but in Canada) that doesnt happen....even if you are dying in front of the pharmacist, they will never sell you any antibiotics without a proper, well detailed precription note from a doctor and all your details would be written on the drug container. The only drugs you can buy at will are pain killers and cough syrups

You're right and even abroad not all cough syrups are sold in the pharmacy. The ones with codeine are usually prescribed too. Then come to talk of fake drugs in naija. Na wah.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Kcinho(m): 11:02am On May 28, 2016
destino24:
Ok, so in freshman year, we were supposed to get the new biometric ID card, and we were to provide our Blood Group among other informations.

Na so I go one reputable hospital here in Enugu for Medical Test. They took my blood and told me to come back the next day for the result. Came back the next day for result and was told I was O+.

Fast forward, 5 years later in 500 level. I had a little medical issue and I had to run a couple of tests of which blood grouping was part of. Surprisingly, my Blood Group had "Changed" to A+. I had to run the test at 2 other different Labs, all came up with A+.

Meanwhile, on my School ID Card, it says O+.

Imagine a situation, maybe an accident, of which i might require a blood transfusion, and then they take a look at the ID Card, and conclude my GRP was O+.

Na so person go just take die
transfusion with o positive wouldn't have killed you anyway. they are called universal donors

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by mamajaz(f): 11:08am On May 28, 2016
dicefrost:

Sorry ma'am, it's one of those stories, every nurse has one to tell. They just happen
Thanks my chief
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by RexTramadol1: 11:09am On May 28, 2016
January : U get am for HIV

June: You no get am for HIV again

August: Na another person result we record for you.

#Chai!
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by SonofHim: 11:18am On May 28, 2016
SisiNini:
Yes!

I had benign breast lump which was to be removed by surgical operation... I summoned all the courage, strength and faith I had in God to prepare for it... Sleep was far from me as the day got closer... On the day of the surgery, I was so afraid that I shivered so much... The Surgeons said if I don't stop they will have to book me for another day... I had to co-operate... I told them to just deaden the area cos I want to be awake throughout the procedure... No be say I get liver, na fear make me opt for the option... In less than 30minutes, they were done...

I gave glory to Almighty God cos I successfully overcame my worst fear... I kept thanking God... Two weeks after, I was on my bed massaging the bandaged area, then I became curious... I felt something hard again... I said to myself that God has totally healed me and probably that was my imagination...

Tho, I went to the hospital the following morning and all I heard was that 'We are very sorry, u still have a lump there'... The lump was not totally removed the first time... JESUS! I cud not cry because the matter don pass tears that moment... I was jux staring into space while all the medical personnels kept apologising to me...

Later, I cried like I have never done before... What if it internal? What if I was not observant? I told them to do another surgery for me that same day and they said no, that the first cut needs to be healed and I need to re do all the initial test to prepare me for another surgery...

That was how I had 2 surgeries in 5weeks all because of carelessness... I give God the praise cos mine could be rectified and have been perfectly fit since then...

I think you failed to listen well when you were being counselled prior to the surgery. Most patients do that probably because of anxiety. The first procedure you had was an incisional biopsy to take a part of the diseased tissue for histological diagnosis(microscopy). Second surgery was excision of the lump. So it was not a mistake.
1st procedure was diagnostic while the second one was curative.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by fedorahat: 11:29am On May 28, 2016
The worst is my wife was given another persons delivery date in a private lab, the woman lost the baby, my daughter has celebral palsy is to four years can't walk or talk,
Nigerian medical practitioners are devils but university of port Harcourt teaching hospital is hell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by BlackPeni5: 11:30am On May 28, 2016
Mbediogu:

Perhaps you are one of those who patronize quacks. Instruments and swabs are counted before surgery and before closure of all surgical patients, and again before patients are wheeled out to recovery room. See trained and qualified and experienced people like mbediogu.

I think u may be a native doctor afterall. Where in my statement did I say i was the one who experienced the unfortunate incidences. Learn to read bro.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by SonofHim: 11:41am On May 28, 2016
Nnemuka:
yeah i know a friend who had irregular menstruation, visited her doctor and was informed it was an infection.
Quack doctor claimed it was an ovarian cyst that requires surgery to be removed.

Unfortunately in the process of surgery damaged her womb, so womb had to be removed.
she was aged 17 then till today she never saw her menstruation again.

Another happened at "Boshan" doctor claimed she has fibroid, scheduled her for an operation and afterwards he came out to inform us that it was appendix.
Advice: majority of Naija doc are quacks, especially the ones trained in Nigeria.

Falacy of hasty generalization.
First story doesn't add up. Removal of ovarian cyst does not involve the incision on the uterus. So how could your friend's womb be damaged following removal of a cyst. Quite plausible.
Probably she had septic abortion like the first doctor said. Ask your friend to tell you the truth.

2nd story: a torsioned fibroid can mimic an acute appendicitis in every way. Its called an acute abdomen. Sometimes the doctor has to open the patient up to find out what the problem is and deal with it. Its called exploratory laparomy. So it was not an error.

Conclusion: lack of knowledge can lead to drawing up wrong conclusions.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by AB10(m): 11:48am On May 28, 2016
A dentist once performed a minor surgery instead of total extraction, though I suggested the latter earlier. He said it was a new and better procedure.

A week later I was in severe pain and the extraction was done. The hospital only gave me 20% discount. That's why I don't blame people who insist on medical trips.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by stroker(m): 11:50am On May 28, 2016
Hmmm... My mum explained the cause of my condition to me. I was a big baby at birth and I'm still big, tall n huge. However, i have a deformed right arm. When i asked my mom she told me i was big at birth. Weighing over 5kg. So the nurses during delivery debated whether my mum should birth me naturally or they should perform a caesarian operation. One of the nurses was however adamant that i could be birthed naturally. As i crowned and was coming out, in her haste and excitement she pulled my right arm with way too much force and then a major nerve in the arm became damaged. Over the years, despite aggressive physiotherapy in my childhood, atrophy set in and my right arm became thin and deformed. The irony of it all is that the nurse who damaged the nerve is my mom's cousin. It happened in a general hospital where my mom was even working as a pharmacist. Not easy going about wt a deformed arm, but in all things, gv thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by pinkyliceous(f): 11:54am On May 28, 2016
Ok, thanks.

sleek82:
it means she has (blood group of O and a negative rhesus factor )
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by nairalandbuzz(m): 11:57am On May 28, 2016
Bluffly:

If the HMO's are against antibiotics for children it's because the risk is greater than the solution it provides. Antibiotics can make children prone to Type 2 diabetes.
The Hospital's are the one trading patients because the HMO's gave them clear terms. The hospital was meant to come out in clear times about what they cover and what they do not.

Oga, I spoke with the doc who is my friend and the HMO and they didn't deny the fact that they instructed them not to be doing comprehensive complete blood test that shows many other tiny statistics that do help, whose lack do five major symptoms for other ailments like depression.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by dammyjay93(m): 12:03pm On May 28, 2016
Physiotherapy could have easily corrected that sad
Smhart1:
I am a victim. it happened when I was young, I was sick and taken to the hospital.. can't really remember things but I can remember I was given injection which immediately paralysed my right leg, I was let to opt out of school for over a year because all the veins in my right leg were dead and Was on serious medication to get me back on my feet, till today there is slight difference in my legs.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by ave4(f): 12:40pm On May 28, 2016
I had typhoid and went for treatment.One of the nurses came with a syringe Filled with a coloured liquid to inject me on my bum.I refused being injected and went straight to the doctor's office .He apologised and said that he gave the nurse the wrong prescription due to fatigue after he checked his register and discovered his error
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by JoeCutie(m): 12:41pm On May 28, 2016
When I was little, one quack nurse wanted to end my life for good...

I had hit my foot against a stone and my dad took me to a nearby health care center. He dropped me off and went somewhere to take care of something. Before my dad could come back, I was already paralyzed. The quack nurse on duty had given me five injections each with a different syringe. What she should have collected in one syringe and given me at once, she chose to do it one after another. By the time she was done, by yansh was already resting in perfect peace. Chei! I no fit waka again! You needed to have seen my dad's reaction when he came to carry me. He was furious, and just at the heat of the moment, he made a phone call, and the next day, the nursed lost her job. I was taking to a proper hospital afterwards though.

It was a very scary experience
. lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Ewiss(f): 12:46pm On May 28, 2016
[quote author=pinkyliceous post=46041690]What's O rh?

blood group o rh is rhesus factor either positive or negative

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by michaelmo11(m): 12:52pm On May 28, 2016
lovat:
continue watching Jane The Virgin
i would ooo, can't wait for season 3 to come out. But what happened in episode 1 is just an example of medical mistake.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Davecafary(m): 1:20pm On May 28, 2016
A family friend had a surgery carried out on him and they stitched him up without removing the scissors that was used to cut him up. After a month or so, he started complaining of pains in his bowel and had to do x-ray. The scissors was found in him, which was becoming rusty already and had affected vital parts of his organs. So they had they had to cut off pieces of the affected parts. Till today he can't eat any food with pepper and practically feeds on cereals and some types of fruits which are not too acidic.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by TheArchangel(f): 1:27pm On May 28, 2016
JoeCutie:
When I was little, one quack nurse wanted to end my life for good...

I had hit my foot against a stone and my dad took me to a nearby health care center. He dropped me off and went somewhere to take care of something. Before my dad could come back, I was already paralyzed. The quack nurse on duty had given me five injections each with a different syringe. What she should have collected in one syringe and given me at once, she chose to do it one after another. By the time she was done, by yansh was already resting in perfect peace. Chei! I no fit waka again! You needed to have seen my dad's reaction when he came to carry me. He was furious, and just at the heat of the moment, he made a phone call, and the next day, the nursed lost her job. I was taking to a proper hospital afterwards though.

It was a very scary experience
. lipsrsealed
Some injections are not supposed to be mixed together or they will react. I doubt the nurse was sacked because of that, maybe something else prompted the sack.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Ogegod87: 1:51pm On May 28, 2016
I've always hated self medication and still do.

My Experience

I felt this lump on d left side of my stomach. So I went to d hospital and complained. I was referred to lab/scan and d result showed it was ovarian cyst. D doctor also said d cyst was attached to my left ovary(according to d scan), which means my left ovary would be removed alongsides d cyst. I died a thousand deaths. On d day of surgery, (sept 2012) everything was set and I was injected on my spinal cord so I was awake all through d surgery. Immediately I was cut open, u need to hear d way d doctor shouted " d ovary is not even affected". D anaesthetics doctor snapped my ovaries, showed me and told me my both ovaries are intact. D massive cyst was removed. D gyno later explained dat it was d differantials (only God knows wat dat means). D cyst. Was sent to lab and d result came out 2weeks later. To God be all d glory, it was non-cancerous.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Abbeytoy(m): 2:16pm On May 28, 2016
It happened at the Uch, am feeling some pains due to over drink of beer and I was admitted at the A&E accident and emergency. they carryout some test and I was told my blood is 6%, and I will need 3paint of blood, everyone was like oh my God this guy can't survived the night. I was actually feeling pains but I did agreed with what they say, my sister and my are crying and they have already bought the blood required, I picked up my phone and called one of my friend doctor wish came down immediately. he checked me me and said its not possible to have 6% of blood and still living. he carried out the test himself and said my blood is not shot that I just need to sleep. he gave me injection and that's the only thing I remember. the following day, he told me that if they give me that blood the previous day, two things may occur. either died or get physiatrics problems.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by emerich(m): 2:32pm On May 28, 2016
destino24:
Ok, so in freshman year, we were supposed to get the new biometric ID card, and we were to provide our Blood Group among other informations.

Na so I go one reputable hospital here in Enugu for Medical Test. They took my blood and told me to come back the next day for the result. Came back the next day for result and was told I was O+.

Fast forward, 5 years later in 500 level. I had a little medical issue and I had to run a couple of tests of which blood grouping was part of. Surprisingly, my Blood Group had "Changed" to A+. I had to run the test at 2 other different Labs, all came up with A+.

Meanwhile, on my School ID Card, it says O+.

Imagine a situation, maybe an accident, of which i might require a blood transfusion, and then they take a look at the ID Card, and conclude my GRP was O+.

Na so person go just take die
Guy u no go die, it's a pity the mistake happened though but as an A+ recipient you can actually receive blood from an O+ donor.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by emerich(m): 2:36pm On May 28, 2016
Kcinho:

transfusion with o positive wouldn't have killed you anyway. they are called universal donors
Not really! The only true university donor is O-, which could give to all blood types, O+ blood type cannot be transfused to an A-, B-, AB- or O- recipient, so can't be regarded as a universal donor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! My Brother Has Sickle Cell / BUA Purchases 1 Million Doses Of Astrazeneca COVID-19 Vaccines For Nigeria / Jubilee Syringe To Start Exportation To Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.