Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,477 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief (2972 Views)

Obigbo Is On Fire. Zoo Soldiers Attacking Our People / Thomas Ekpemupolo, Tompolo's Father Dies - Gbaramatu Voice Newspaper / Breaking News Ijaw Militants Are Attacking Aladja In Warri Right Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by fulanmafia: 8:17am On May 21, 2016
Chief Godspower Gbenekama is the Benemowei of Gbaramatu Kingdom. He is also the acting secretary-general and official spokesman for the kingdom. Chief Gbenekama speaks with EBENEZER ADUROKIYA on the activities of Niger Delta Avengers, the military siege to Gbaramatu Kingdom, its effects on the people, among other issues.

A section of Nigerians believes that the Ijaw are aggressive, always clashing with everybody, including the government. What is wrong with the Ijaw of Niger Delta?

There is nothing wrong with the Ijaw, but there is everything wrong with the Nigerian state. In a situation where you are dehumanised or treated inhumanly, you will react. That notion that the Ijaw are troublesome, war-mongers or whatever is not really correct. Ijaw means truth. The Ijaw man’s anger is exposed only when truth is relegated to the background. The crisis of 2006 or thereabouts was such that could happen anywhere, anyway. Imagine three Ijaw kingdoms that are autonomous, given a local government and then after chairmen and counsellors were elected and sworn in, something happened and the headquarters, which was initially in an Ijaw enclave, Ogbe-Ijoh, was taken to an Itsekiri area. That was the genesis of the Warri crisis. I will not like to open an old wound but the truth is that we were not the aggressors. Our neighbours were the aggressors in that crisis. We were pushed to the wall and we reacted.

A group of people calling themselves the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA) recently destroyed oil pipelines in Gbaramatu Kingdom, causing Nigerians to believe that members of that group are Ijaw of that kingdom. Is it true? Are you one of them? Or are you one of the people recruiting them?

I wish I was the person recruiting them. Then I would have been able to direct my grievances to the appropriate quarters. I wish Gbaramatu people were really involved to take a collective decision to say we want to protest some things that are happening in the country. We would have been able to direct our grievances to the right quarters. But as it is now, the avengers, or whatever they are called, are dealing with the people of Gbaramatu more than any other persons.

In what sense?

Our economy economic life is down. Chevron is the only IOC that you can see in our area. People may say that they have not done enough but they are the only company that have been able to do one or two things in our area through their corporate social responsibility. You feel their impact in terms of employment and particularly in pipeline surveillance programme. Chevron employed over 200 youths who guard the pipelines. If Chevron is shut, all these guys would come back home. Sincerely, people that are benefiting from that programme are enormous and that is just one programme. So, when they are attacking Chevron, they are attacking the economic life of Gbaramatu because it is the only thing bringing food to our tables for now. There may be others but Chevron is the most visible one. Attacks on Chevron facilities are worrisome to us, the Gbaramatu people. If people are accusing us of attacking our own socio-economic life, it means that the country will fail. And all these accusations are coming from fifth columnists who want to paint us in very bad light.

We are not involved. I am not involved. I don’t want to be involved. I cannot be involved. My people are not involved. We cannot be involved. We have never been involved. The traditional ruler of Gbaramatu has given us a marching order to ensure that these things do not continue in our area.

The Ijaw are known to be strong and defensive of their territory and possessions. Are you saying that it is possible for outsiders to come to Gbaramatu Kingdom and bomb pipelines without your knowledge?

What the Federal Government was not able to do, one young man called Government Ekpemupolo, Tompolo, was able to do. He brought sanity to the area. But these days, they are kidnapping people. There are sea pirates, oil thieves and many other criminals in the creeks. When this young man was not pursued out of the place, he was law. The people respected him. The fear of him was everywhere. Miscreants did not tamper with facilities in Gbaramatu, but there are people that are looking for cheap leadership who have been able to arm-twist the Federal Government so that the man does not stay in Gbaramatu. Let me tell you, one of the facilities that were destroyed by these so-called avengers was just about 100 metres from a military security house-boat that was saddled with the responsibility of guarding the pipelines. Am I, a defenceless civilian, the one to stop the arm-bearing avengers? And when these pipelines you are talking of are broken, they say Gbaramatu people are involved, arrest them, kill them, we will deal with them. Are you involving me in the security of the pipelines? Then I would claim ownership. But you are not involving me and when some things happen, I would risk my life to stop it? I will rather keep my life and allow those you have assigned to take care of the pipelines. That is the situation now.

Are you saying that since the Federal Government is not involving the Ijaw of Gbaramatu in pipeline surveillance contract, you can now arm-twist the government to make them do your bidding by bombing pipelines and creating an unsafe environment?

I don’t think you understand me. There is this local content policy in the country where the people are involved in things done in their area. At least some percentages of the job are given to the local people. But as I speak, in the surveillance contract in NNPC and NGC, the locals are not involved. Those that are involved are arm-twisted to say ‘I will pay you 50 kobo. If you don’t take, I will employ other people.’ We are talking of localising the local content. These people are just coming and using the military to arm-twist people - those who are hungry - and they will say ‘I will give you N50, come and enter boat. If you don’t enter, I won’t pay you.’ That is what is happening in the area. House boats are all over the place. You don’t know who supplies them. People are all over the place. You don’t know those who are guiding the pipelines. And these speed boats that our people are known for producing and driving, they don’t involve our people. They just go and pick their cronies and do these things. The Federal Government should think properly. We are not talking about arm-twisting; we are talking about our rights. It is our right to be involved in things that happen in our area. For now, the local content policy has been abandoned. It is no more localised. It has become Nigerian content. If they localise the local content, my people will be involved and they will take charge of the situation and pipeline security. And because they are involved, they will risk their lives. How do you risk your life for what someone else is coming to benefit from? You won’t risk your life. We are not arm-twisting; we are saying allow local content to operate and we will take ownership of these things.

Since the onslaughts of the NDA, the Federal Government has deployed more troops in the creeks to halt further attacks and probably fish out the perpetrators. But there have been reports quoting you as accusing the troops of harassment. What is the actual situation in Gbaramatu since the arrival of the troops?

They are harassing the people of Gbaramatu Kingdom. They are threatening them. They sometimes encroach on their privacy, break their doors and struggle with them in the name of sniffing for members of the NDA. They have done many things that should not be done in a civilised world in Nigeria, in Delta State. Tell me, if it’s not Gbaramatu, why will military men invade the palace of a king and when he seeks the audience of the invaders, you tell him he can’t talk to you and they leave?

Are you saying the troops desecrated the traditional stool?

As you claimed, the Ijaw are stubborn. The Ijaw man will always say: ‘why are you doing this to me?’ We are human beings, too. Treat our king as a human being. Imagine a military man punching the palace of the Emir of Kano and the Emir now says to the soldier, ‘let’s talk’ and the soldier says ‘we are not going to talk to you. I came to do what I was asked to do.’ He destroyed and left without the people resisting him. The military are destroying our people. As I speak, at the Kokodiagbene community in Gbaramatu, the soldiers went there, gathered the men, women and children and asked them to sit on marshy ground, in ponds, intimidated them and asked them: ‘where are your bombs? Where are your dynamites?’ They searched and searched but found nothing. They broke doors open in search of the avengers and they didn’t see anything and they left and went to arrest innocent people.

As the spokesman of the Gbaramatu Kingdom and a chief, what do you think the Federal Government should actually do to stem the ongoing resurgence of militancy in the creeks?

Well, I will first of all advise the so-called avengers to have a face. As it is now, there is nobody you can interface with. In Tompolo’s struggle, there was a face tied to the struggle and other militants like [Mujahid] Dokubo-Asari and others. These guys are not people you cannot identify. They identified themselves and said they were struggling for the betterment of the Niger Delta and we knew them. Even though it might not be easy to access them, at least people knew them and their locations. So, if the avengers are really fighting for their people, they should show their faces. Let people know what they fighting for. This bogus programme of change of currency and hoisting of flag, well, that is their own, I think they should show their faces and make their demands more humane.
Secondly, this ‘go and crush them, destroy them, go and kill them, we will destroy them’ syndrome should be downplayed. [President Muhammadu] Buhari and his government should know that we are in a civil dispensation, not a military regime, where you just go and begin to crush. Besides, the Niger Delta is like a tsetse fly which perches on the scrotum. If you use hammer to hit the fly, your testes will have a problem. If you go and destroy them, you will destroy the pipelines and everything together and we will have nothing to protect. The government has the responsibility of protecting lives and properties. The first thing the government should protect is life which the present administration does not believe in. They should protect lives. They should protect the civil populace of the Ijaw and Gbaramatu to ensure that this ‘crush,’ ‘destroy,’ ‘dismantle,’ ‘kill’ language is reduced. Then let the people have confidence in you so that they can talk to you freely. Right now, nobody can talk to the government freely as people are afraid. If you try to approach the soldiers to confide in them, they can shoot at you even before you get to them. Where they are making us enemies, no one would approach them to give them information. It is not our fault that this oil was found in our area but when people come to destroy it, we suffer from degradation and others.
Thirdly, the Federal Government should know that Tompolo was its partner. He was arresting criminals for the government. Sometimes - I don’t really want to say this - when we arrest these criminals for the government, they kill them. This man ensured that there was sanity in the creeks. So, they should look for a way to bring down the tempo of the aggression against Tompolo. Unfortunately, he is no longer accessible to those of us who are his kinsmen. The man has run away. They should make things easy so that he can come back. If he comes back, he is like a rallying point. So many former militants will rally round him and these bombings and all these things will reduce. But inasmuch as they are pushing him away with court injunctions and threats of bring him out alive or dead, the man will continue to leave the area and when it continues like that, criminals will continue to perpetrate their nefarious acts. His name was law. Let me tell you, he is still respected among his people so much so that the people feel he is wrongly being accused. So, Tompolo represents something in Gbaramatu and in Ijaw land. Let the Federal Government look for some political solutions to the issues that are there. Tompolo was not a government official. He did not force the Federal Government to sign a cheque for him. These things would have happened through negotiations and discussions. Are people looking at all these areas? I am not Tompolo’s spokesman but I am proffering the solutions that you asked for. Let Tompolo’s matter be resolved. Let him come back home. Let it not be seen that they are still pursuing him. Let them solve the problem politically.

Won’t the Federal Government see it as a slap on its face? Is Tompolo bigger than other people that are being prosecuted for alleged corruption in the country?

I didn’t say he should not be prosecuted but every law should have a human face. A situation where you see that a law is pursuing an agenda, somebody won’t have faith in that kind of system. That is what I am saying. I am not saying the Federal Government should kneel and beg Tompolo but I am saying that they should look for a political solution to the situation. The man was not in government. He has never been in government. He is a businessman. Right now, it is difficult for people like me to even talk to Tompolo. I was among those who begged him to drop his arms, as dreaded as he was then. We told him he could attract development to his people if he did and it paid off. The young man has been attracting development to the area. Immediately that government left, the new government demonised him and chased him out of town. They should look for a political solution to the problem.

Source: http://tribuneonlineng.com/soldiers-are-destroying-our-people-%E2%80%94gbaramatu-chief
Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by SeverusSnape(m): 8:20am On May 21, 2016
Thanks to Buhari's high-handedness and undiplomatic nature, A very obstinate man.

The activities of the militants are not only affecting the host communities but also the whole country at large, But at the end, They shall all benefit; The government has no choice than to dialogue with them, I think they are fighting for a just cause.

3 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by fulanmafia: 8:22am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Mtcheeww

The truth is bitter.

It is sheer and plain wickedness to continue to cheer on those creek rats while their people cry out from the suffering that their activities are inflicting on them.

4 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by madridguy(m): 8:22am On May 21, 2016
This is the problem, now the consistent attack on oil installation has brought the presence of Nigeria Army into the Gbaramatu Kingdom and you think with the presence of Army you will be able to sleep with 2 eyes closed.

We keep telling the Flat head laminated brains cheering the Avengers boys, don't give soldiers any reason to come to your community, because of human right abuse. No where in the world you will see soldier without a case of human right abuse. Can you imagine soldiers asking innocent people where are your bombs and dynamite, invading the palace just because of some selfish people.

Before you quote me remember Delta State and Bayelsa State respectively are owing their workers 5 months salary, let the boys continue bombing and let see who will suffer it most.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by SeverusSnape(m): 8:27am On May 21, 2016
fulanmafia:

The truth is bitter. It is wicked to continue to cheer on those creek rats while their own people cry out in suffering.
Yes, The truth is bitter. One of the bitter truths is, Resource control, true federalism is the answer to all these rubbish.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by SeverusSnape(m): 8:27am On May 21, 2016
I didn’t say he should not be prosecuted but every law should have a human face. A situation where you see that a law is pursuing an agenda, somebody won’t have faith in that kind of system. That is what I am saying. I am not saying the Federal Government should kneel and beg Tompolo but I am saying that they should look for a political solution to the situation. The man was not in government. He has never been in government. He is a businessman.

The chief is right on point here ^^^

Buhari doesn't obey court orders, and they expect Tompolo to obey - Hypocrisy at it's peak. Tompolo know that he'll be unjustly incarcerated if he presents himself.

2 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by tsephanyah(f): 8:30am On May 21, 2016
Some stu+pid people hailing militancy here on nairaland just because their life iz messy...the ss/se chiefs/politicians knew thiz pipe blowing wil not gona end well, anyway i wish nigeria wil be divided so that they can hav biafra.. They believe in one nigeria during gej.. When their political calculations hijaked by the yorubaz.. And northmen are ruling and governing, now they ar screaming nigeria is a scam..

6 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by fulanmafia: 8:30am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Yes, The truth is bitter. One of the bitter truths is, Resource control, true federalism is the answer to all these rubbish.

This 'rubbish' is supported by your likes so you can only deceive yourself. This government cannot be blackmailed.

3 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by Thewrath(m): 8:31am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Gbam!
Tell am make e enter his head.

4 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by KahlDrogo(m): 8:33am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

[s]The chief is right on point here ^^^

Buhari doesn't obey court orders, and they expect Tompolo to obey - Hypocrisy at it's peak. Tompolo know that he'll be unjustly incarcerated if he presents himself.[/s]
you forgot to add "zombie". grin

1 Like

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by TheNonce: 8:33am On May 21, 2016
grin

E be like say this chief never see alert from the avengers hence his painment?

These their useless rulers are always complicit in these situations! Go and advise your Gbaramatu militants to carry on with their _stupidity! Na una sabi!

1 Like

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by fulanmafia: 8:34am On May 21, 2016
Ijaw leaders are against the scAvengers...

Gbaramatu people are against the scAvengers..

The Army is against the scAvengers

Nigerians are against the scAvengers...

The Government is against the scAvengers...

Who then are in support of the creek rats? IPADS, Boko Haram and other enemies of Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by KahlDrogo(m): 8:34am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
[s]
Yes, The truth is bitter. One of the bitter truths is, Resource control, true federalism is the answer to all these rubbish.[/s]
shut up severalanussnape. grin

3 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by Thewrath(m): 8:34am On May 21, 2016
In as much as I don't want the bombing to continue in my backyard,This is a sacrifice we have to make..the demands are quite feasible.
fulanmafia:
Ijaw leaders are against the scAvengers...
Gbaramatu people are against the scAvengers..
The Army is against the scAvengers
Nigerians are against the scAvengers...
The Government is against the scAvengers...
Who then are in support of the creek rats? IPADS, Boko Haram and other enemies of Nigeria.
Continue with your cheap blackmail.

5 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by SeverusSnape(m): 8:34am On May 21, 2016
fulanmafia:

This 'rubbish' is supported by your likes so you can only deceive yourself. This government cannot be blackmailed.
I support fight for their rights, You as a Fulani has never condemned your herdsmen for killing innocent Nigerians, Isn't that hypocrisy?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by SeverusSnape(m): 8:35am On May 21, 2016
KahlDrogo:
shut up severalanussnape. grin
Come shut me up.

1 Like

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by DesChyko: 8:36am On May 21, 2016
I doubt if some people were taught summary where they came from.

But this OP will never carry the utterances of a wailer except he has an ulterior motive to muddle the message.

And these company paying youths to guard pipelines when the FG is scrapping the same scheme? It would appear they think the FG doesn't have a real idea how to run that aspect. After all, they're the people in the game.

Unless the FG acts tactfully smart, another Odi 1999 massacre is in the works. And it's going to gulp a lot more that #30 billion in compensation aside magnanimous income losses

1 Like

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by KahlDrogo(m): 8:36am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
[s]Thanks to Buhari's high-handedness and undiplomatic nature, A very obstinate man.

The activities of the militants are not only affecting the host communities but also the whole country at large, But at the end, They shall all benefit; The government has no choice than to dialogue with them, I think they are fighting for a just cause.[/s]

when will you have sense this boy?

4 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by tsephanyah(f): 8:36am On May 21, 2016
If u want biafra leave north and sw especially lagos, abuja and kano. go back to biafra and fight 4 biafra... I'm alergic to this keyword/keypads nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by Thewrath(m): 8:37am On May 21, 2016
fulanmafia:

Anytime I remember the way you tried to paint the heardsmen as "innocent" during their attacks,I just spit!

1 Like

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by KahlDrogo(m): 8:37am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Come shut me up.
you forgot to add "zombie" again. You do not make sense without "zombie". grin

3 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by SeverusSnape(m): 8:39am On May 21, 2016
KahlDrogo:
you forgot to add "zombie" again. You do not make sense without "zombie". grin
Zombie

2 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by DesChyko: 8:40am On May 21, 2016
tsephanyah:
If u want biafra leave north and sw especially lagos, abuja and kano. go back to biafra and fight 4 biafra... I'm alergic to this keyword/keypads nonsense.

Shey you go Seun house because you wan post for Nairaland?

2 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by Thewrath(m): 8:40am On May 21, 2016
tsephanyah:
It's only on Biafra topics you people have one or two things to say,shouting kill em all and ipob youths,unfortunately,this topic is not about Biafra and far beyond your comprehension,kindly stick to the romance session!

3 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by fulanmafia: 8:41am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

I support fight for their rights, You as a Fulani has never condemned your herdsmen for killing innocent Nigerians, Isn't that hypocrisy?

@ bolded - You are a liar.

Stop making excuses to support violence against the Niger Delta people. Since when did releasing Nnamdi Kanu become the right of Niger Deltans?

Stop fooling yourself this early.

3 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by SeverusSnape(m): 8:41am On May 21, 2016
Thewrath:

Anytime I remember the way you tried to paint the heardsmen as "innocent" during their attacks,I just spit!
Don't mind him. To them, Human lives are inconsequential, but cows and pipelines are more important.

3 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by SeverusSnape(m): 8:43am On May 21, 2016
fulanmafia:

@ bolded - You are a liar.

Stop making excuses to support violence against the Niger Delta people. Since when did releasing Nnamdi Kanu become the right of Niger Deltans?

Stop fooling yourself this early.
You can ask them that question any time you enter the creeks... So that singular demand is the one you're not happy with?... Why don't you talk about other important demands?... And the last time I checked, Kanu is from the Niger Delta, Abia is Niger Delta.

4 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by Thewrath(m): 8:44am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Don't mind him. To them, Human lives are inconsequential, but cows and pipelines are more important.
Now now him talk Wetin dey pain am.
Since when did releasing Nnamdi Kanu become the right of Niger Deltans?

2 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by fulanmafia: 8:44am On May 21, 2016
Thewrath:

I have consistently condemned the activities of the blood sucking criminal herdsmen, so you can shove that rotten lie up your rectum.

Stop supporting the militants attack on the economic life of the innocent ND people.

1 Like

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by KahlDrogo(m): 8:45am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
[s]
You can ask them that question any time you enter the creeks... So that singular demand is the one you're not happy with?... Why don't you talk about other important demands?... And the last time I checked, Kanu is from the Niger Delta, Abia is Niger Delta.[/s]
shut up and simply say "zombie". grin

4 Likes

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by fulanmafia: 8:47am On May 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

You can ask them that question any time you enter the creeks... So that singular demand is the one you're not happy with?... Why don't you talk about other important demands?... And the last time I checked, Kanu is from the Niger Delta, Abia is Niger Delta.

That demand exposes the fraudulent nature of their requests, which is why it is vital to point it out.

The point remains that you cannot blackmail this government, especially not with violence.

1 Like

Re: Militants Are Attacking Our Economic Life - Gbaramatu Chief by oduastates: 8:47am On May 21, 2016
The avengers are doing Nigeria a favour.
The FG should do What the Saudis are doing.
Simply sell off NNPC to the highest bidders and use the money to develop non oil activities.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Saraki's Wife Releases Photos Of Their Beautiful Twin Daughters Who Turned 18 / Ekiti 2018: APC Picks Omoleye As Fayemi’s Running Mate / Why Nnamdi Kanu Should Consider Asari Dokunbo Election Calls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.