Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair (41901 Views)

Why Do Women Flaunt Their Stretch Marks Via Sleeveless Tops? / Why Do Women Suffer With High Heel Shoes. These Are Scary And Crazy / What Do Women Gain By Exposing Their Bodies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 9:45am On Dec 17, 2006
@Donzman

@Sista

I already cut my hair, thanks for the advice.

I know you cut it of by now, just telling you anyway, maybe you can pass the advice on.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 17, 2006
Any way, Rasta's do not like it when people refer to their hair as dred locks. They don't like it at all.

Well, doesn't Bob Marley have an album "Natty Dreads"?, I've heard lots of Don Carlos and he constantly refers to his Natty Dreads.

Rastafarians are a delusional bunch anyway, no harm meant. cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 10:05am On Dec 17, 2006
@Donzman

Rastafarians are a delusional bunch anyway, no harm meant.

The delusional part comes from smoking to much weed. lipsrsealed

Well, doesn't Bob Marley have an album "Natty Dreads"?, I've heard lots of Don Carlos and he constantly refers to his Natty Dreads.

"natty dreads" is not the same as "dred locs"
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:15pm On Dec 17, 2006
looks Ibo to me, Donzman

maybe we should ask 925 to confirm.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 8:41pm On Dec 17, 2006
Maybe Ibo and Yuroba mixed, LOL
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2006
@Shango

What are you up to? I have been observing your nairaland activity so I see what you have been doing. I think you are looking for my picture, would that be correct? grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by hotangel2(f): 2:42am On Dec 21, 2006
oh, sista. Im sorry, i think i signed off before you posted the picture.

Sista:

@Hotangel

Some people have agreed that keeping the hair natural is actually easier. With chemically relaxed hair, the hair becomes damaged more easily and if you want your hair to stay as healthy as possible and look good, you must touch the new growth up and you must clip the ends, if you don't, you will have a very mad perm. After that, if you don't know how to do most of those things yourself, you will paying a lot of money to keep it up. If you get to know your natural hair and you love your natural hair and you also see the beauty of it and in it, there are many things, wonderful things you can do to your hair. People especially white people, they area always asking to touch my hair. I have been told that my hair is so soft. I love my hair I must say.

Here is my pic, you better hurry to come see it.

I would like to say by some people, you mean 3 out of 15 women. Btw, i do my hair my self. I am very good when it comes to taking take of myself.

I dont have anything against natural hair, but i believe i'll live better with a permed hair. Ohh and i do do wonderful things to my permed hair too.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 4:30am On Dec 21, 2006
It's okay Hotangel, when you come back on and you notice that I'm on line, just let me know when you want to see the pic, I will post it again for you to see.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by sammyjl(f): 2:19pm On Feb 12, 2007
angry Which idiot is this who posted this topic? Oh its you. Listen here you. It depends on the person ok, natural african hair is hard to maintain. have u ever tried rolling them after you've just washed them, my my. Besides they pain a lot. I started relaxing my hair in the 10th grade and imagine all that time I had to suffer while we got relaxers that make everything easy.

And who are you to tell us about Lauryn Hill, she's loaded with dollars and can afford people to take care of her hair, she probably doesn't even touch her dreads, unless they get in her face, or no wait, she got someone to do that for her. Brother go do some more research or better yet, grow your hair and come back to us.

I may be replying late to this thread, its only because it really pisses me off.
No matter how many times you complain, we'll still keep doing our things, relaxed/permed hair is easy to manage.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by londoner: 5:32pm On Feb 12, 2007
Permed hair is easier to manage, if you have the very kinky type of natural hair, which I have. grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Deleted: 7:00pm On Feb 12, 2007
i KNO i R3LAX AND P3RM (WHiCH TAKEZ A WHiL3) MY HAiR B3CAUS3, iF i L3T iT GROW OUT TOO LONG, TH3N iTZ G3TS R3ALLY TANGLY AND NAPPY AT TH3 ROOTZ i G3T P3RMZ ABOUT 3V3RY 2 MOTHNZ
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by oluite(f): 2:50pm On Feb 16, 2007
@ shango
It isnt easy to keep natural hair.I had natural hair all through sec.sch .It was very long,full,thick and curly.it looked really nice but once a hair dresser makes it.she'll never have time again until i discover another one.If a hairdresser weaves it once and weaves it a second time.She charge me double the initail price because it was very hard.I hard to relax it .I used abot 3 different relaxers before my hair finally relaxed.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by LilRed1(f): 2:00pm On Feb 26, 2007
when my hair is permed its a lot more easier to manage, and it also looks muchh more prettier then my natural hair
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by gem87(f): 5:00am On Mar 25, 2007
it also has a lot to do with the hair texture, some are really soft and some are as hard as straw,
it's all in the managment, for instance my texture is quite coarse and if i don't relax once it's due
passing a comb thru it would be hell, natural hair is gud if u can handle it
if not u'll end up looking like u cum from d bush
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by kellorah: 1:12pm On Mar 25, 2007
i wont carry natural hair even if u paid me undecided
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by yongbabe(f): 3:54pm On Mar 26, 2007
@topic
because it hurts when u comb it. when u dont comb it it makes
u look like someone from a mental hospital.
but when u perm it its eaiser to comb n it looks nice.
but i do prefer to keep ma hair d natural way.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 12:09am On Mar 27, 2007

passing a comb through it would be hell, natural hair is good if u can handle it
if not u'll end up looking like u come from d bush

because it hurts when u comb it. when u don't comb it it makes
u look like someone from a mental hospital.

read:
http://www.motowngirl.com/myths.php

"natural hair is not meant to be combed and styled as straight hair"
"some people fight with their natural hair instead of just living with the natural texture of it and work with it"

point is: same thing you do with relaxed hair (combing 24/7, running away from water, saloon every two weeks, retouching etc) isn't what you will be doing with natural hair.

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by neelsel(f): 1:54am On Mar 27, 2007
They relax it because they want to, I believe each one is entitled to do whatever they please with their hair.

I love both natural and permed hair. Due to my carib heritage I have nice soft nappy hair which I wore naturally until summer of last year, when I decided to perm it.

About to cut it all off again and let it grow, grow,grow, naturally that is,
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 4:28am On Apr 03, 2007
Excellent post WeleyanA

I see you are still a smart cookie. wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by londoner: 11:14am On Apr 03, 2007
The ladies posted seem to have soft natural hair from the looks of it, its not the same as course afro hair, Hair needs to be combed whether permed or not,try not combing it for two days and see where it gets ya, lol, definately agree that we need to know how to look after our natural hair, its not a mistake that God gave us the hair we have.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 8:16pm On Apr 03, 2007
The ladies posted seem to have soft natural hair from the looks of it, its not the same as course afro hair, Hair needs to be combed whether permed or not,try not combing it for two days and see where it gets ya, lol, definately agree that we need to know how to look after our natural hair, its not a mistake that God gave us the hair we have.

Any African person who takes care of their hair properly will have hair as soft as a lambs wool.

Those lady's do not naturally have soft hair but it looks so beautifully styled that it must be soft right? I don't think so. It looks soft like a lambs wool because it is being properly maintained. If you show you hair that you love it, it will show you love back.

I did hair for many years and I wear my hair natural. All of the women posted have thick and kinky hair. Lauryn appears to have blow dried hers and that is why it stretches out. With the exception of the firs woman who basically washed her hair, conditioned it, oiled it and twisted it, the other women look like they blow dried their hair but they also set their hair by oiling it braiding it up, or twisting it up and leaving it up for a while, then taking it down. African people could do way better and more attractive things to their hair without relaxing it or chemically treating their hair.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by londoner: 2:36pm On Apr 04, 2007
Sista:

Any African person who takes care of their hair properly will have hair as soft as a lambs wool.

Those lady's do not naturally have soft hair but it looks so beautifully styled that it must be soft right? I don't think so. It looks soft like a lambs wool because it is being properly maintained. If you show you hair that you love it, it will show you love back.

I did hair for many years and I wear my hair natural. All of the women posted have thick and kinky hair. Lauryn appears to have blow dried hers and that is why it stretches out. With the exception of the firs woman who basically washed her hair, conditioned it, oiled it and twisted it, the other women look like they blow dried their hair but they also set their hair by oiling it braiding it up, or twisting it up and leaving it up for a while, then taking it down. African people could do way better and more attractive things to their hair without relaxing it or chemically treating their hair.

, those ladies hair looks thick yes, but kinky? no, if a number of them have blow dried it as you say, it proves the piont that its not just maintenance, some people have very tight curls to begin with. I know everyone can take care of their hair, but the natural curl in the hair differs from person to person its just a fact.

My hair is very kinky, I mean very, its a natural tight curl, it grows like that, my sister also wears her hair naturally, but her hair is not as kinky as mine because her curls are not as tight, its a fact. My piont was not about attractiveness of hair, but rather the fact that some people's curls are tighter than others, thats what makes it difficult to comb sometimes.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 2:26pm On Apr 06, 2007
My hair:

mine is an average hair and since living here, my hair has been acting up. Of recent, i cut off my hair. it is growing already and so far it's been sooooo hard and painful combing it, sigh. But then i have decided not to use relaxer at least for the rest of this year JAN-DEC but maybe braid and see what difference my hair would make. It's pricey here trying to make/maintain your hair at the salon. the senegalese charge abt 180-250 dollars to do the hair, braiding or twisting, na wah ooooo.

i met an african american lady she got a very straight hair and so soft. we started blah blah about hair. i found out she wasn't using Relaxer. she said she does it for 62 dollars. that what her stylist does is to shampoo, condition and then use hot comb/hot iron, that she's been wearing her hair for a while like that. i asked her if it stays that way always, she said ye. but that whenever she wash it, it looks afro but soft. until she uses hot iron, hot comb, etc and it looks straight again,

my question is if one can use those method to make the hair looks like it's being relaxed? at least soft (which is all our goals). what are the pros and cons of having a straight hair without using Relaxer? I'm thinking of going this way of making this afro like, hard and kinky hair of mine soft, smiley
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 12:49am On Apr 07, 2007
londoner:

nah. they have coarse afro hair. type 4 a&b. trust me I know. my hair is ridiculously nappy if i left it uncombed/ unkept for days. but it is soft when i mosturize and take out my braids/twists.

Like they say, "nappy hair is easier to take care of if you know HOW to take care of it"
I have type 4a/4b hair and my hairdresser complain that it's too full etc and threatned to charge me more.
so before going to the hairdresser, i condition my hair, mosturize it and braid it into several places, by the time i take my braids out the next day and went to the hairdresser, she thought I had straightened it.

braid outs or twist outs and moisture make the hair softer and easier to manage (all pics are twist/ braid outs. the last one was combed out after the braid/ twists were taken out, i'll asume)

if you leave your afro out for days without twisting/ braiding or mosturizing it, it will turn really uncontrollable and impossible to comb.

there are ways you can make it manageable. you just have to KNOW HOW.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 10:57pm On Apr 08, 2007
You got that right [b]WeslyeanA [/b]even if white people don't comb or condition their hair, it will become tangly and impossible to comb.

Hey Wesley, wuddayah think about this picture?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 08, 2007
sista is actually not bad looking!  cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by londoner: 9:37am On Apr 10, 2007
WeslyanA, trust me I also know my hair, after condition/steam/moisturising and combing it is incredibly kinky and not soft at all, it simply snaps back into tight coils immediately. Its genetic, some people in my family just have very course hair, one of my sisters hair does not even relax,  thats tells you how kinky it is.

My idea of very course and kinky hair differs from yours I guess, to me thick does not automatically equal kinky/course.

Ofcourse if you don't comb the hair it will be tangled, but combing hair which is just very tight natural curl and lots of it will always be a challenge, its just the natural curl pattern of the hair, moisture/conditioning will not change the natural characteristic of the hair.

Having said that, I still would not go back to relaxing, lol
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Ndipe(m): 7:25am On Apr 11, 2007
So, if a black woman perms her hair, does that amount to a betrayal of her race? If so, then we gotta forego stuff made by the white man, including the computer. How about that? wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 7:37am On Apr 11, 2007
[b]Ndipe, [/b]if you think the white man is entirely responsible for the computer, you are really living in some kind of fairy land world.

I don't want to get into American inventions with you because this is not the topic for it but trust me, the white man is not totally responsible for the computer. The computer took years to conceive and it could not be conceived with out first the earlier mechanical devices that came into place. Trust me when I tell you this, and you can check it out and research for yourself, the computer is made op from many different inventions and if you dig real deep, you will find many black men of African decent who contributed to the making of the computer.

Further more, you may have been only joking but I don't see what the computer has to do with giving up ones identity or betraying ones race. undecided
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 4:26pm On Apr 11, 2007
@Davidylan

I think I told you before, that it is not safe to judge a book by its cover. tongue

Now you know what I meant.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 11:24pm On Apr 12, 2007
@weslanyA

my hair is probably tye 4c, if that exists

but even getting it braided is difficult, I can comb pretty well when I have steamed and conditioned washed but the moment its dry its difficult to comb. Even to have cornrows done hairdressers find it difficult, so much so that their hands hurt.

what do u use? i use extra virgin olive oil, organis root stimulator hair mayonnaise. I need something that will work with the tangles and keep it soft.

I read about Afro detangler, does anyone know how to get some for those living in Naija.

@kellofish

even if they paid you? you already have the hair , it grows out your scalp continuously and it will never stop. Why would you be paid for what you already got wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 8:31pm On Apr 13, 2007
@Salsera

"Mane and Tail" shampoo and conitioner is the best I ever used. Before you go to get your hair braided, wash and condition your hair and leave the conditioner in your hair for an hour then rinse it out but don't rinse it until it gets streaky, leave a little bit of the conitioner in the hair.

After, plat your hair in four sections and braid it.

Go under the dryer with your hair platted, let it dry.

Take the braids down once they are dry and comb blow dry it, grease your scalp, then slightly oil you hair. Go to the shop to let them braid it once you have done thsoe things, they won't be able to complain then. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Face scrub /glow body bath (darkspots/acne/cellulite/dark knuck/unevenskintone) / Stephanie Nkechinyere Chukwuemeka Wins 2022 Miss Port Harcourt City Pageant. / Make-up Artist Chidinma Ezenwelu Converts Herself To A Guy - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.