Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,567 members, 7,958,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:37 PM

Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair - Fashion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair (42218 Views)

Why Do Women Flaunt Their Stretch Marks Via Sleeveless Tops? / Why Do Women Suffer With High Heel Shoes. These Are Scary And Crazy / What Do Women Gain By Exposing Their Bodies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 1:36am On Jan 02, 2010
well i perm my hair cos it's so full,long n sturbborn.by d time i relax it it becomes flexible,soft n easy 2 comb.its so hard combing my hair wen its not relaxed.its more of an aid 2 me dan fashion
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by mamagee3(f): 1:00am On Apr 27, 2010
The same reason White women trim their hair.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by soreola(f): 5:02pm On May 03, 2010
@ OP u have to consider the fact that not everyone has the same hair texture, a natural for my friend would be soft but still afro like and a natural for me is tough to comb and very coarse,

I tried it and i had to wet my hair everytime i wanted to comb it, its not easy for everyone, Lauryn Hill's natural is probably different from a lot of africa women's natural hair,
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Wizzybit: 8:07pm On Mar 26, 2011
Because women are retarded. They're just tools of reproduc, never mind
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Wizzybit: 8:08pm On Mar 26, 2011
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by InkedNerd(f): 7:50am On Mar 27, 2011
@OP: In my honest opinion, a lot of black women relax/perm their hair because they/we have an inferiority complex [which stems from European influences within our societies] when it comes to their hair. A lot of them tend to relax/perm their hair under the premise that it helps manage their hair. For me, that is a load of crap. The relaxers/perms they use on their hair is basically acid--a lot of it is made from drain cleaner and are carcinogens. Since the times of colonialism, we've all been conditioned to think that anything that inherently shows our features as black people is inferior. You pointed out that "You never see women with naturally straight hair trying to curl it up or make it look like those with African hair." but what I think you should have said is "You never see women with naturally straight hair trying to curl it up", having 'African hair' really has nothing to do with it. 'African hair' hair comes in many textures, so there is no one texture to describe our hair. And there are people who do try to attain 'African hair'. Perhaps you've never heard of Asians who try to alter their texture to emulate that of black people with coarse hair. Even those Asians who are altering their hair are using relaxers/perms to do so. And also, perhaps you may not know this as well, but white people get relaxers/perms as well. There only difference is that the relaxers/perms they use is used to make their hair curly. Very few people actually have naturally straight hair.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 29, 2011
It is amazing how we as black people take the easy way out with everything-
We don't demand reparations for slavery because it has been so LOOONG AGO, yet till today the German government has special grants and scholarships for people of Jewish decent.

Oprah Winfrey built the first all girls’ high school in an impoverished neighborhood (aka black) in South Africa. Noticed I said FIRST, because you see after the apartheid was abolished, the black people did not demand that the White people build up their communities.

Now the same foolish excuse is chimed by black people everywhere, “Our natural hair is too difficult to maintain that’s why we perm it." How many black people stop to ask themselves what can we do to make our hair better? How many black people ask themselves what can we do with reparations? How many ask ourselves what can WE do to build up our communities? Because white people and companies haven't volunteered to do so; we roll with it.
We black people avoid investing time in things that better the quality of life for our people. While white people are investing millions into skin and hair care research, amongst other things; we just fold our arms, and hope they throw a bone our way, because research takes a lot of time and money, and unfortunately, a lot of black people think of "Now" and not long-term.
Research is being and HAS been done for hair and skin care, but it is not for us. They figure out what works for white people, and cross their fingers in hope that it works for us. But guess what, it doesn't!! So what do we do? We try and make our hair more like theirs to make up for it!!!

Why am I venting? I was tired of my perming my hair. Moving to yankee, for some reason my relaxed hair failed to adjust. It always grows, and sheds back up to shoulder length. I decided to go "natural", Something other women from other cultures take for granted (white people have their own perm), and I realized how anti-black hair the world truly is. The products don't work for your hair, lots of hairdressers only know how to take a hot comb to it, braid is practically your fail-safe option, and interestingly enough, turns out that white people are more interested in natural black hair than blacks.
Hopefully one of those white people will become dermatologists in future and do some research and invest some money into it, because I don't see too many people black out there that give a dam%.

true talk. This is soooo true.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by InkedNerd(f): 5:27pm On Mar 29, 2011
andromida:

It is amazing how we as black people take the easy way out with everything-
We don't demand reparations for slavery because it has been so LOOONG AGO, yet till today the German government has special grants and scholarships for people of Jewish decent.

Oprah Winfrey built the first all girls’ high school in an impoverished neighborhood (aka black) in South Africa. Noticed I said FIRST, because you see after the apartheid was abolished, the black people did not demand that the White people build up their communities.

Now the same foolish excuse is chimed by black people everywhere, “Our natural hair is too difficult to maintain that’s why we perm it." How many black people stop to ask themselves what can we do to make our hair better? How many black people ask themselves what can we do with reparations? How many ask ourselves what can WE do to build up our communities? Because white people and companies haven't volunteered to do so; we roll with it.
We black people avoid investing time in things that better the quality of life for our people. While white people are investing millions into skin and hair care research, amongst other things; we just fold our arms, and hope they throw a bone our way, because research takes a lot of time and money, and unfortunately, a lot of black people think of "Now" and not long-term.
Research is being and HAS been done for hair and skin care, but it is not for us. They figure out what works for white people, and cross their fingers in hope that it works for us. But guess what, it doesn't!! So what do we do? We try and make our hair more like theirs to make up for it!!!

Why am I venting? I was tired of my perming my hair. Moving to yankee, for some reason my relaxed hair failed to adjust. It always grows, and sheds back up to shoulder length. I decided to go "natural", Something other women from other cultures take for granted (white people have their own perm), and I realized how anti-black hair the world truly is. The products don't work for your hair, lots of hairdressers only know how to take a hot comb to it, braid is practically your fail-safe option, and interestingly enough, turns out that white people are more interested in natural black hair than blacks.
Hopefully one of those white people will become dermatologists in future and do some research and invest some money into it, because I don't see too many people black out there that give a dam%.

true talk. This is soooo true.

Yupp, that is so true. Black people generally think that white people don't like our hair but based on what I've experienced, they're oblivious to the supposed plights of 'black hair', don't care, or actually have no problem with it. Its one thing for us to have these feelings because of post colonialists views, its another thing to keep holding onto those views due to some sort of inverted disdain for ourselves. Most black people don't even realize this but a lot of those product that are created for caucasian consumers actually do work on natural hair. People don't realize it because their too busy sewing, relaxing/perming, fusing, or bonding hair pieces to their hair. People need to start being aware of the dangers in the of these products.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 12:20am On Sep 22, 2011
i have "good hair" (negroid) regardless if it is worn naturally, straightened or relaxed.  cool
because i know my 'African/negroid' hair is the best i am proud to do anything to it
as our hair is the only type of hair that can be used to enhance naturally or to add on
with little to no difficulty. Processing my hair does not mean I have low self esteem or am
ashamed of my roots but its rather exhibiting the strength of my hair.  smiley

not sure if i am expressing myself clearly.  undecided but oh well.

interestingly enough white women are using hair crinklers and whole cans worth of spritz  tongue to get the 'kinky look:

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpzi1jtPxJHG2CH6EkVciX6bjV0d4ES7-5pSwFtG3OrHQgIrvp[/img]
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by hxdwigs(m): 9:37am On Nov 24, 2011
why not choose a suitable wig for yourself.easy to color.easy to style.easy to wash.

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Meddler(f): 6:02am On Nov 28, 2011
I don't think black women perm/straighten their hair out of self hate. They perm because we are not aware of alternatives. I used to perm but now fully natural for 4 year now. Best decision I made. But before then I really didn't think I had any other option apart from perming. I remember my mom perming my hair and burning it in the process because she wanted the hair well done. I had to wear a cap to school for a week. But the thing is proper education about our hair is seriously lacking. Naija parents especially are clueless about their kids hair. I sit at church every Sunday and see the sad state of our children's hair. Half of these kids are not even up to 4 years old and already have receding hairlines from braiding or fixing (yea I said fixing). I weep for them really. This is the reality on ground. Few years from now said child wud have been put through the system of relaxing. Pls tell me how she's supposed to know an alternative if that's the only thing she was thought about hair. I'm still learning till today the dos and donts of my hair. I've cut it 3 times in the past year due to bad maintenance. But again going natural is the best thing I did.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by TheBBF(f): 2:02pm On Dec 13, 2011
Na wa oh!! It upsets me when I keep seeing posts like this. Not to be rude but I don't see why anyone would care what anybody else does to their hair and/or the reasons behind it. Its disturbing when I see comments like black women relax because of self hate, and the white woman's influence, but to me that is just not true. Every race changes their hair! White women who were born with bone straight hair get it permed ( the opposite of what we call a relaxer) and white women with extremely course and curly hair straighten their hair. It's called fashion and beauty. For hundreds of years the white woman has been altering her hair, by using wigs, presses, and rollers to change the appearance of her hair. Nobody called it self hate, so why when we do it, its called self hate?

I understand that for the longest time, black women didn't know how to take care of our natural hair, so we started relaxing to make it easier to manage (those who did it for self hate reasons thats there business!). But now black women are becoming more educated about their hair, and they are learning how to manage it in either its natural or relaxed state. I think this amazing because more and more women are learning that taking care of afro-natural hair is not the painful nightmare that we believe. I am relaxed and even I have learned to grow my relaxed hair and take better care of it, and I blog about it to help other learn too. I am now also more educated about natural hair, and I believe I will transition to natural one day. But for right now I am enjoying my longer relaxed hair. Is it because, I want to be like a white woman? Ermmm I really don't think so. I like the look and the ease of it. But I also like the natural look as well.

I mean I try not to take comments like "you relax because of self hatred" personal,but I don't judge other people based on their personal preference or style, so I don't see why others take it upon themselves to judge other people or make assumptions, about random strangers you know nothing about. Its possible that relaxers were invented to make black women more acceptable in white society. But so? that doesn't mean generations later we all still want to be white.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by HISchild: 1:00am On Dec 15, 2011
Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.”- Prov 31:30
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by InkedNerd(f): 7:11am On Dec 31, 2011
TheBBF:

Na wa oh!! It upsets me when I keep seeing posts like this. Not to be rude but I don't see why anyone would care what anybody else does to their hair and/or the reasons behind it. Its disturbing when I see comments like black women relax because of self hate, and the white woman's influence, but to me that is just not true. Every race changes their hair! White women who were born with bone straight hair get it permed ( the opposite of what we call a relaxer) and white women with extremely course and curly hair straighten their hair. It's called fashion and beauty. For hundreds of years the white woman has been altering her hair, by using wigs, presses, and rollers to change the appearance of her hair. Nobody called it self hate, so why when we do it, its called self hate?

I understand that for the longest time, black women didn't know how to take care of our natural hair, so we started relaxing to make it easier to manage (those who did it for self hate reasons thats there business!). But now black women are becoming more educated about their hair, and they are learning how to manage it in either its natural or relaxed state. I think this amazing because more and more women are learning that taking care of afro-natural hair is not the painful nightmare that we believe. I am relaxed and even I have learned to grow my relaxed hair and take better care of it, and I blog about it to help other learn too. I am now also more educated about natural hair, and I believe I will transition to natural one day. But for right now I am enjoying my longer relaxed hair. Is it because, I want to be like a white woman? Ermmm I really don't think so. I like the look and the ease of it. But I also like the natural look as well.

I mean I try not to take comments like "you relax because of self hatred" personal,but I don't judge other people based on their personal preference or style, so I don't see why others take it upon themselves to judge other people or make assumptions, about random strangers you know nothing about. Its possible that relaxers were invented to make black women more acceptable in white society. But so? that doesn't mean generations later we all still want to be white.

While I will admit that other ethnicities alter their looks and features, it's hard to actually sit here and justify such an act and claim that it is all in the name of fashion and beauty. Contrary to what you and I'm pretty sure many other people believe, MOST white people DO NOT have bone straight hair. In reality, very few people on Earth actually have straight hair. From Asian culture to Native American culture there has always been traces of people altering their appearance due to internalized racial inferiority having come in contact with European culture. Yes, not everyone possesses that mentality but many do and refuse to admit it because it calls into question their existence as a "person of color" and their overall outlook on who they are and what they aspire to look like.

Once again, the second bolded line is also a misconception and is highly incorrect. For centuries, we as people of African decent have been caring for our hair as it was before the coming of the white man. The idea that we didn't know how to care for our hair is more of an inaccurate statement stemming from the beliefs that people had about Africans who has been captured during times of slavery. Given the fact that those who were captured as slaves were taken from their natural environment and subjected to conditions which obviously didn't enable them to care for their hair in the necessary manner that they needed to, it's understandable why that belief would spread like wild fire. If you did some actual research on the history of African hair in Africa, you'd see and understand why and how this statement you made is untrue. I can even provide pictures displaying the various ways that Africans of the past cared and styled their hair. As Africans, we did indeed know how to care for our hair. Before the coming of the white man, we cared for our hair for centuries without any trouble. Just because we has a blip in African history and lost our way doesn't me we had no idea on how to care for our hair. In many parts of Africa, people STILL use these practices and techniques till this day.

And again, when you mentioned that just because relaxers were invented to make black women more acceptable in white society doesn't mean that generations later we all still want to be white, that in itself is an untrue statement. There are various remnants of an inferiority complexes within various regions of the world. Just because its 2011 doesn't mean that the perceptions of the past have been eradicated. I have nothing against those who chose to relax their hair--what is do have a problem with is people who through nothing but sheer ignorance, stupidity, and self hatred continue to perpetuates the neo-slave mentality that people so desperately hold onto.

Meddler:

I don't think black women perm/straighten their hair out of self hate. They perm because we are not aware of alternatives. I used to perm but now fully natural for 4 year now. Best decision I made. But before then I really didn't think I had any other option apart from perming. I remember my mom perming my hair and burning it in the process because she wanted the hair well done. I had to wear a cap to school for a week. But the thing is proper education about our hair is seriously lacking. [b]Naija parents especially are clueless about their kids hair. I sit at church every Sunday and see the sad state of our children's hair. Half of these kids are not even up to 4 years old and already have receding hairlines from braiding or fixing (yea I said fixing). I weep for them really. [/b]This is the reality on ground. Few years from now said child wud have been put through the system of relaxing. Pls tell me how she's supposed to know an alternative if that's the only thing she was thought about hair. I'm still learning till today the dos and donts of my hair. I've cut it 3 times in the past year due to bad maintenance. But again going natural is the best thing I did.

I know what you mean. I've even heard of parents putting baby lace fronts on their infants and relaxing babies as young as 6 months old. I saw a video online of a little girl who's mother burned her hair so bad that the girls' hairline was starting almost in the middle of her head. I saw another video of a woman who helped her friend's 6 or 7 year old daughter grow out her natural hair only to have the child's mother perm it again which pretty much took the poor kid back to where she started. It's sad that we live in a society where a woman can wear a ratty looking wig or have incredible damage to their hair and that is more socially acceptable than a woman wearing her natural hair. There is a natural hair blog that I frequent, and while reading some posts on the blog, one of the site bloggers talked about the hostility she felt from other Nigerians while wearing her hair natural in Nigeria. She even said one co-worker went so far to buy her a relaxer in a box and presented it to her. I've read other accounts of other Nigerian women who have received a salty reception from other Nigerians for wearing their hair in it's natural state. It's really sad. With all the bad weaves, wigs, and damaged perms, it baffles me how people can be so receptive to natural hair. I understand that at the end of the day, people will do what they wanna do bu when there is ignorance attached to their overall perception of self, then we as a society need to ask ourselves what the true nature of this matter is.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Meddler(f): 4:12pm On Jan 13, 2012
Nigeria's case is on a different level. We are ignorant and choose to remain ignorant regardless of the fact. I came back to Nigeria for my NYSC and the response I got when I wore my hair the first day to my place of primary assignment was ridiculous. Ppl were just shocked that I wore my hair naturally another lady approached me with her advice which was kinda funny given the state of her own hair. My mom is constantly on my case too. But as I say if you find my hair so offensive, don't look at it. Its my choice and its not changing anytime soon.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by emofine2(f): 2:34am On Jan 19, 2012
Meddler:

Nigeria's case is on a different level. We are ignorant and choose to remain ignorant regardless of the fact. I came back to Nigeria for my NYSC and the response I got when I wore my hair the first day to my place of primary assignment was ridiculous. Ppl were just shocked that I wore my hair naturally another lady approached me with her advice which was kinda funny given the state of her own hair. My mom is constantly on my case too. But as I say if you find my hair so offensive, don't look at it. Its my choice and its not changing anytime soon.

Lol reminds me of a similar experience.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by InkedNerd(f): 3:09am On Feb 10, 2012
Meddler:

Ironically, it's always the people who's hair are in desperate need of help who are always giving advice. You don't know how many half bald Black women I have encountered who have tried to give me "advice" on what to do with my hair. It makes no damn sense.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by ASG2: 1:02am On Mar 30, 2012
First of all. I would like to know why this crazy person asked this quesion in the first place. You may be African- American but you're not a female. You have no idea about a African-American females hair.. Unless you're a hairdresser for a living, which I highly doubt because of the way this post was written, you have no right to tell us what should be done with our hair and how we feel about ourselves and so on. It's our hair, our mind, and we do what we want with it. Comparing an African- American female relaxing their hair, to getting a nose job is stupid. You're going to tell someone what they should do, well what about what you should to as an African-American male.. I suggest you quit worrying about the African-American females of this world and worry about yourself.... Many do it because it's more managable... Point Blank...
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by flyhair: 6:35am On Mar 30, 2012
Hey guys!!

Hair extensions suppliers,My own experience ,

http://flyhair.ffob.org mqchina511@gmail.com

100% Human hair factory i bought and it's been good quality. Cheap too.

Hope this helps you

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by flyhair: 7:18am On Apr 22, 2012
chose a suitable wig .
have many style and colors.
more easy .

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Snake Found Hiding Inside A Shoe (video) / These Photos Depict "Fashion Madness" / A Nairalander Stepped Out Looking Dapper Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.