Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,150 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment (27212 Views)

Ooni Disowns Statement From His Palace On Issue With Oba Of Lagos / Breaking:edo Govt Withdraws Letter On Oba Of Benin / Eheneden Erediauwa Approved As Oba Of Benin By Edo Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by neocortex: 2:12pm On May 25, 2016
NewSheriff:
Me thinks you missed this

The question you didn't ask is: how significant is the
governors letter ?
An oba without an appointment letter is invalid.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by VulgarVulvas: 2:12pm On May 25, 2016
neocortex:

You and I know that in the olden days , the oba oversees everything,
time has changed so has the oba.

The duties and roles of the Oba has been limited to protecting, promoting and ensuring the spiritual an ancestral culture and worship rites of the Bini Kingdom

Only a select few as ordained by Bini culture can be entrusted with that role.

That's culture.

Rather than bother your head on democratising the throne of the oba of Bini why not lead a campaign to liberalise emirships in the north from only Uthman don Fodio fulani descendants and his muhajadeen warriors of old by extending it to include the talakawas and kafurs in the north

If you can get a northern Christian to be Emir then maybe the binis can make some concessions into allowing a female descendant to ascend the throne as Queen.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Apelex(m): 2:13pm On May 25, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

Mind your democracy and leave culture and traditions that you have no business in.

Oshiomole was not elected to be the king maker of Bini Kingdom

Nigerians are so ignorant.our constitution has no place for traditional rulers.the only way the GOVERNMENT can OFFICIALLY recognize the OBA is by so giving Him a letter of appointment..

Note the words in Capital please...

1 Like

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Ubenedictus(m): 2:14pm On May 25, 2016
lailo:
U people are deceiving urself.Let it be during Abacha military regime and d Oba of Benin pass im boundary,thats when u will no dat military rule pass tradition.
even during military regime nobody points fingers at the oba.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by TheBlackGeneral(m): 2:14pm On May 25, 2016
BiafranAmerican:

So the throne can only be ascended by descendants of the former Oba even if he is an slowpoke. There is no merit on that. I feel a king should be nominated based on merit.

Unfortunately, your feelings don't count here.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 25, 2016
Na wa for u ooooo!! Why U choose Iara??
VulgarVulvas:
The throne of the Oba of Bini is not subject to the approval or discretion of even the President talk less of a governor under the Oba's realm.

This is the only surviving dynasty left in Africa and it dates back to a bloodline centuries before Nigeria or Edo state came into existence.

For one unionist scammer to have the audacity to declare the living heir apparent to his claims to his forefathers throne is a abomination upon itself.

Oshiomole must sacrifice Iara to appease the gods and ancestors of the revered Bini Kingdom for his sacrilegious claims of authorising a new Oba for the Kingdom of Bini and her peoples.
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Apelex(m): 2:15pm On May 25, 2016
dukie25:
I wasted nearly an hour this morning lecturing people on Bini/Edo culture.
The facts are:
Oshiomhole can't appoint the Oba of Benin, it is hereditary, it's a birthright different from the Oni of Ife, the Sultan of Sokoto or the Emir of Kano.

Eheneden Erediauwa becomes Oba at the death of his father, no other person can occupy that position as long as he is alive.
If Eheneden dies today, his first son even if he is an infant would be the Oba, regents would then steer him till he is old enough to take over.

The Governor can't appoint the Oba --YES

But he has to officially approve and acknowledge it.

Even the emir sanusi got an appointment letter from his governor.
That's the only way the Government can recognize them officially.
Ordinarily our constitution has no place for traditional rulers
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by VulgarVulvas: 2:17pm On May 25, 2016
Apelex:

Nigerians are so ignorant.our constitution has no place for traditional rulers.the only way the GOVERNMENT can OFFICIALLY recognize the OBA is by so giving Him a letter of appointment..

Note the words in Capital please...

Has the Oba applied for political power?

The Oba's throne is spiritual and religious and is the main protector of Bini culture and traditions.

Use brain

3 Likes

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Businessideas: 2:18pm On May 25, 2016
In summary, Appointment is deferred. The appointment letter that will be issued to the Oba of Benin like every other edo state kings, is a legal necessity.

The said letter was issued in error as the rites of passage of His Royal Majesty, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba of Benin are still on.
“The government will, in due course, issue a fresh letter on the installation of the Edaiken N’Uselu, His Royal Highness Crown Prince Eheneden Erediauwa, as the Oba of Benin, in line with the age-long succession tradition of the Benin Kingdom and in line with Section 19 (1) of the Traditional Rulers and Chiefs Law, 1979 (as amended) and by virtue of all other laws enabling it in that behalf, after all necessary traditional rites are concluded.”
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by ivili(m): 2:18pm On May 25, 2016
VulgarVulvas:
The throne of the Oba of Bini is not subject to the approval or discretion of even the President talk less of a governor under the Oba's realm.

This is the only surviving dynasty left in Africa and it dates back to a bloodline centuries before Nigeria or Edo state came into existence.

For one unionist scammer to have the audacity to declare the living heir apparent to his claims to his forefathers throne is a abomination upon itself.

Oshiomole must sacrifice Iara to appease the gods and ancestors of the revered Bini Kingdom for his sacrilegious claims of authorising a new Oba for the Kingdom of Bini and her peoples.
Guy your body too hot,this hot afternoon you are already demanding an halfcast sacrifice.If he sacrifice her now what will he sacrifice when he plans to run for President? grin
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 25, 2016
Does that mean only one ruling house is in Edo/Benin culture. What if the king dies not have a son? Will they use a regent? What is the problem here, I don't get it. Was oshiomole not supporting the said King and the council has another candidate?
dukie25:
The facts are:
Oshiomhole can't appoint the Oba of Benin, it is hereditary, it's a birthright different from the Oni of Ife, the Sultan of Sokoto or the Emir of Kano.

Eheneden Erediauwa becomes Oba at the death of his father, no other person can occupy that position as long as he is alive.
If Eheneden dies today, his first son even if he is an infant would be the Oba, regents would then steer him till he is old enough to take over.
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by VulgarVulvas: 2:19pm On May 25, 2016
Apelex:

This is a legacy coming from colonial rule where the British appointed stooges.

As I stated, the Oba remains the oba irrespective of any useless letter.

The highest the state can do is withdraw official recognition to his throne and refuse to fund it.

Irrespective the Oba remains the Oba as long as he fulfils all traditional rites.

1 Like

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by shadrach77: 2:20pm On May 25, 2016
dukie25:
The facts are:

My dear, you are silly. Under the law, a traditional ruler can not function unless the state government rubber stamps his appointment. cry kiss undecided

1 Like

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Godstraight(m): 2:23pm On May 25, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

The Oba's throne is spiritual and religious and is the main protector of Bini culture and traditions.

Use brain
you get time oh
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by utytill(m): 2:23pm On May 25, 2016
This man may have been issuing so many pronoucements and policies in error without any retraction.Thank God for him on this,may be his life would have miss.
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by neocortex: 2:24pm On May 25, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

The duties and roles of the Oba has been limited to protecting, promoting and ensuring the spiritual an ancestral culture and worship rites of the Bini Kingdom

Only a select few as ordained by Bini culture can be entrusted with that role.

That's culture.

Rather than bother your head on democratising the throne of the oba of Bini why not lead a campaign to liberalise emirships in the north from only Uthman don Fodio fulani descendants and his muhajadeen warriors of old by extending it to include the talakawas and kafurs in the north

If you can get a northern Christian to be Emir then maybe the binis can make some concessions into allowing a female descendant to ascend the throne as Queen.
You missed the point,
this isn't about who become the king but who engineered/sealed
the process.
I care less whether the oba or emir came from jupiter or pluto,
my argument still remains that the appointment of an oba rests
with the governor.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by bokohalal(m): 2:24pm On May 25, 2016
Apelex:

There is no comparison here.
Emir Sanusi was elected or selected. The next Oba of Benin is already known by all and sundry. In the present case , all the state government does is gazette the crowning as King. If they do not recognize him , his subjects do.

3 Likes

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by dukie25: 2:24pm On May 25, 2016
Apelex:

Whether he approves it or not won't have effect on the Oba.
Every one in Edo knows who the Oba is even before getting crowned.
And please stop comparing him with Sanusi who didn't know he'd be the Emir.
Sultan of Sokoto (Dasuki) was removed and another one installed, can't happen to the Obaship of Benin or his dukes across Edo state.
You're born an Oba by virtue of your birthright, you're not made an Oba because the President prefers you.

3 Likes

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Businessideas: 2:25pm On May 25, 2016
bokohalal:

There is no comparison here.
Emir Sanusi was elected or selected. The next Oba of Benin is already known by all and sundry. In the present case , all the state government does is gazette the crowning as King. If they do not recognize him , his subjects do.

The government release never said that. To assist you, the summary of the government press release didn't deny the appointment will be done, Appointment is deferred. The appointment letter that will be issued to the Oba of Benin like every other edo state kings, is a legal necessity.
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Apelex(m): 2:26pm On May 25, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

Use brain

I will drop my pen at this point.your ignorance is much.even if I explain my point to you in a 1000 page document. U can never get it..

You don't know the govt funds his palace. He practically receives salary...

1 Like

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Godstraight(m): 2:27pm On May 25, 2016
shadrach77:

My dear, you are silly. Under the law, a traditional ruler can not function unless the state government rubber stamps his appointment. cry kiss undecided
the highest the state can do is stop funding the OBA,they CANT stop the monarch,except you don't know Bini people.
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by bokohalal(m): 2:27pm On May 25, 2016
shadrach77:

Not in Benin.
Onyeregbulem only suspended the Oba from meetings of Edo State Traditional council. It didn't stop the Oba from performing his traditional functions
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by VulgarVulvas: 2:29pm On May 25, 2016
dukie25:

Sultan of Sokoto (Dasuki) was removed and another one installed, can't happen to the Obaship of Benin or his dukes across Edo state.
You're born an Oba by virtue of your birthright, you're not made an Oba because the President prefers you.

Sanusi was turbanned after the then governor approved him as emir.

The Oba of Bini does not need one useless governor to approve his ascension.

That is why the Oba will be crowned first and oshiomole MUST duly recognise the throne of the Oba of Bini as the paramount traditional head of Edo state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 25, 2016
that short demon called oshiomole will just be miss yarning anyhow, everyone knows the throne on the Oba of Benin is hereditary,so why is he trying to raise the dust that will eventually give him serious catarrh

1 Like

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by dukie25: 2:31pm On May 25, 2016
priceaction:
Does that mean only one ruling house is in Edo/Benin culture. What if the king dies not have a son? Will they use a regent? What is the problem here, I don't get it. Was oshiomole not supporting the said King and the council has another candidate?
In the post you quoted, you'd have noticed I did say a regent would be installed in the absence of an Oba. There's only one ruling house in Edo culture, same rule applies to the Oba's Dukes (Enijies) across Edo state.
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by popsonbj: 2:32pm On May 25, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

My brother, don't over hype the position of traditional rulers in modern day Nigeria because there is no roles/place
for them, for now, in the constitution.The appointment of any vacant traditional stool in Nigerian community
is at the mercy of the state governor according to section 19 (1) of the Traditional Rulers and Chiefs Law, 1979 (as amended) Law of Edo state of Nigeria. The same law also empowers the governor to remove any erring traditional ruler. In view of this, no traditional ruler can be too powerful in Nigeria that a state governor does not have the power to approve or ratify his appointment.Although the king makers may select the right candidate for the position but ultimately the governor MUST approve or ractify the thier chioce.The law empowers the governor to do so.Also, no traditional ruler is too powerful to be dethroned or removed.If Sultan of Sokoto (Alhaji Dasuki) could be removed, then who is Oba of Benin that can not be remove or his appointment is not be subjected to governor's approval? It would be recall that Chief Obafemi Awolowo removed Oba Olagbegi,the Olowo of Owo,from the throne and no heaven fell. Col. Joshua Madaki removed Emir of Muri Emirate , from the throne during the military rule, no heaven fell.Please be informed that all traditional rulers in Nigeria are at the mercy of state governors

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by dukie25: 2:33pm On May 25, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

Sanusi was turbanned after the then governor approved him as emir.

The Oba of Bini does not need one useless governor to approve his ascension.

That is why the Oba will be crowned first and oshiomole MUST duly recognise the throne of the Oba of Bini as the paramount traditional head of Edo state.
Thanks, couldn't have put it better myself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by VulgarVulvas: 2:33pm On May 25, 2016
Apelex:

I will drop my pen at this point.your ignorance is much.even if I explain my point to you in a 1000 page document. U can never get it..

You don't know the govt funds his palace. He practically receives salary...

You think the motivation to be Oba is down to stipends paid to his office?

Isn't this why your obas an emirs are in constant power tussle for their thrones ?

The Oba's palace does not need govt funds to survive or operate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Apelex(m): 2:36pm On May 25, 2016
dukie25:

[Sanusi succeeded his grand uncle.he knew..its also lineage just like most traditional rulers........

You are not in a dynasty. The Oba's role in remains ceremonial
Though it is only naturally for to bestow respect to such traditional rulers.
Its just like the Queen of England she has no real powers but is widely respected ]
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Apelex(m): 2:38pm On May 25, 2016
popsonbj:

My brother, don't over hype the position of traditional rulers in modern day Nigeria because there is no roles/place
for them, for now, in the constitution.The appointment of any vacant traditional stool in Nigerian community
is at the mercy of the state governor according to section 19 (1) of the Traditional Rulers and Chiefs Law, 1979 (as amended) Law of Edo state of Nigeria. The same law also empowers the governor to remove any erring traditional ruler. In view of this, no traditional ruler can be too powerful in Nigeria that a state governor does not have the power to approve or ratify his appointment.Although the king makers may select the right candidatefor the position ut ultimately the governor MUST approve or ractify the thier chioce.The law empowers the governor to do so.Also, no traditional ruler is too powerful to be dethroned or removed.If Sultan of Sokoto (Alhaji Dasuki) could be removed, then who is Oba of Benin that can not be remove or his appointment is not be subjected to governor's approval? It would be recall that Chief Obafemi Awolowo removed Oba Olagbegi,the Olowo of Owo,from the throne and no heaven fell. Col. Joshua Madaki removed Emir of Muri Emirate , from the throne during the military rule, no heaven fell.Please be informed that all traditional rulers in Nigeria are at the mercy of state governors

Thanks a lot for making them understand..Nigerians are too ignorant

1 Like

Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by dukie25: 2:42pm On May 25, 2016
shadrach77:

You're the one being silly here by likening the Oba of Benin with the Oni or Emir of Kano.
I mean what do you think would happen if Oshiomhole fails to recognize the new Oba? The Oba of Benin is not an Emir, you can't appoint anybody in his stead.
Can't remember who appointed Dasuki as Sultan and later a different govt removed him. In Edo culture you're born a king, it is his birthright to ascend the throne at the death of his father.
Government plays no role in the ascension of an Oba, you can't disregard a 500yr old institution/culture.
Re: Edo Government Retracts Statement On Oba's Appointment by Apelex(m): 2:42pm On May 25, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

You think the motivation to be Oba is down to stipends paid to his office?

Isn't this why your obas an emirs are in constant power tussle for their thrones ?

The Oba's palace does not need govt funds to survive or operate.

popsonbj:

is at the mercy of the state governor according to section 19 (1) of the Traditional Rulers and Chiefs Law, 1979 (as amended) Law of Edo state of Nigeria. The same law also empowers the governor to remove any erring traditional ruler. In view of this, no traditional ruler can be too powerful in Nigeria that a state governor does not have the power to approve or ratify his appointment.Although the king makers may select the right candidatefor the position ut ultimately the governor MUST approve or ractify the thier chioce.The law empowers the governor to do so.Also, no traditional ruler is too powerful to be dethroned or removed.If Sultan of Sokoto (Alhaji Dasuki) could be removed, then who is Oba of Benin that can not be remove or his appointment is not be subjected to governor's approval? It would be recall that Chief Obafemi Awolowo removed Oba Olagbegi,the Olowo of Owo,from the throne and no heaven fell. Col. Joshua Madaki removed Emir of Muri Emirate , from the throne during the military rule, no heaven fell.Please be informed that all traditional rulers in Nigeria are at the mercy of state governors

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

So Yagba In Kogi State Are Yorubas? / King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom / Ooni Of Ife Hosts American Delegates At His Palace In Osun State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.