Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! (27700 Views)

Man Wears All His Clothes At The Airport To Avoid British Airways Luggage Fees / British Airways Sacks Hostess Behind Racist Rant Against Nigerians / I'm Not A Racist, It Was A Joke. British Airways Stewardess Responds(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Chukazu: 8:51pm On May 27, 2016
Checked86:
I am an economist and I pride myself for being one. If you are an economist, I suggest you take up some courses on Development Economics ... it has helped many. You talk of resource control as if Nigeria started existing yesterday. We are always quick to say, "go, we do not need you". The white 'GO' and even Ghana 'GO' but how have we benefited from that decision? I think we should learn from South Africa. About Nigerians not knowing how to run refineries, please do not look down on Nigerians. We have professional.

my brother, how can a reasonable human being ask them to GO,when our dear president has been Globetrotting and seeking for foreign investors when we can't maintain the one we have?

I still remember vividly the sight of former president Obasanjo beckoning on United Airlines to start flight operation in Nigeria, now the same airline has left and some people are still defending Buhari's economic policy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by plaetton: 8:51pm On May 27, 2016
Chukazu:

Britain natural saboteurs of Nigerian interest...seriously?
when they were supplying Nigeria ammunition to examinate Biafran soldiers during the Civil War, were they also saboteurs?

You still don't get me , or, you have chosen to misrepresent my points.

Of course Britain cannot allow a divided Nigeria, because her interests and grip on the entire geographical region would suffer or disappear altogether.

But in general terms, British interests and the interests of African nations, from Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe to South Africa, tend to be diametrically opposed to each other.
Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Iceberg3: 8:54pm On May 27, 2016
pinkyliceous:
These fair-weather international companies, you enjoyed with us for the longest, why not endure with us for a short while?

I am not a zombie.

guilty conscience,who asked u if u were one,if u trully aint? Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by pinkyliceous(f): 8:59pm On May 27, 2016
I won't reply you just for one reason.

Iceberg3:

guilty conscience,who asked u if u were one,if u trully aint? Nonsense
Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by onatisi(m): 9:00pm On May 27, 2016
plaetton:

Nigeria might actually be a better country if all British interests are fully divested from Nigeria.
They are an ill wind that blows no good.
wait until emirates and Qatar airways pull out of Nigeria ,then you will know the implication of buhari negative policies . By then an airline ticket maybe sold for over 1.5 million naira .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by masseratti: 9:01pm On May 27, 2016
NavierStokes:
The country is undergoing "change" but by the time this change has been completed, things may have moved beyond recognition.

End effect of solving 2010+s problems with 1980's solutions.
that bitter pill we refused to take in 1984 was the beginning of major corruption in Nigeria and we are still paying it now.
Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by pinkyliceous(f): 9:01pm On May 27, 2016
I understand you very well.

I am very much against Buhari's silly economic policies but I thought those multinationals should exercise a little bit of patience with us.

Nobleking2000:

The owners of these Airlines are businessmen and not philanthropist so they do business to make profit. How would you expect them to be in an unfavorable business environment whereas the condition was intentionally caused by The government.
So you as a business man if a business environment becomes unfavorable won't you leave that environment ?

2 Likes

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by rexzqcom(m): 9:09pm On May 27, 2016
acooriz:
Biko...let me leave Nigeria b4 its too late

Better leave now when you can. Pretty soon there might not be plane to take you out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by NavierStokes(m): 9:09pm On May 27, 2016
Bubu4Sea:

This man you are wicked grin

My Brother, I am just stating the obvious. Someone needs to collect the steering from this man. Imagine giving your RollsRoyce phantom to a driver who is experienced in driving the old days cadillac, its an hazardous or at-risk scenario.

3 Likes

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Checked86: 9:11pm On May 27, 2016
Chukazu:

my brother, how can a reasonable human being ask them to GO,when our dear president has been Globetrotting and seeking for foreign investors when we can't maintain the one we have?

I still remember vividly the sight of former president Obasanjo beckoning on United Airlines to start flight operation in Nigeria, now the same airline has left and some people are still defending Buhari's economic policy
some people make irritating comments on Nairaland. I really do not know if they are doing it intentionally. They probably do not know that some countries go extra mile by giving waiver to foreign investors for some stipulated years. To woo investors is no more a 'child play' especially those with goodwill and reputation that are capable of influencing others. If one company leaves a country, it will discourage about 20 potential foreign investors. What economic watchdogs like Bloomberg say about a country matters.

5 Likes

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Iceberg3: 9:13pm On May 27, 2016
pinkyliceous:
I won't reply you just for one reason.

pls do,i will understand,i know zombies iq are limited..

1 Like

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by bee444: 9:14pm On May 27, 2016
Racist airline and country. They should go now before their planes begin disappear in the air. What a rubbish proposal. After stealing and teaching Nja how to be corrupt, they now refer to it as the most 'fantastically corrupt country'.

1 Like

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by persius555(m): 9:14pm On May 27, 2016
Can somebody remind me how much the UK is repatraiting to nigeria as looted funds. I doubt its up to $200 million dollars.
And to think we are to give out $575 million dollars capital flight. The west control our economy.
Confirmed!!!
Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Sanchase: 9:15pm On May 27, 2016

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by bishopkay: 9:16pm On May 27, 2016
Keneking:
But where is lalasticlala sef
The following have given notice, local businesses should take the initiative.

Air France...going
Etihad....going
Qatar ...going

Amazing decision by PMB...who they help sef...

Nonsense, abeg Naira has to be strong again.

Per flight(London): 200 pax * N250,000ticket cost = N50,000,000 per day.

Per month : N1,500,000,000 for one airline

For one year : N180bn for one airline shocked

Jonathan ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cry

They employ less than 50 local staffers on full time employment, serve puff puff and subject humilating treatment on ECOWAS passport carriers. Nonsense.

Are you naturally bereft of sense or you just intentionally post things to make people angry.

At times I wonder if you have a job or a business that keeps you busy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by NavierStokes(m): 9:18pm On May 27, 2016
masseratti:
that bitter pill we refused to take in 1984 was the beginning of major corruption in Nigeria and we are still paying it now.

My brother there is nothing happening today that is any different from what was obtainable in 84 that the man was booted out. IBB and co needed to take the steering from Buhari before he would run over the cliff, it's the same thing today. I recall seeing some funny cartoon image of a man using the same 1983 calendar in 2016.
Different years, same occurrences.

1 Like

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Chukazu: 9:18pm On May 27, 2016
plaetton:

You still don't get me , or, you have chosen to misrepresent my points.

Of course Britain cannot allow a divided Nigeria, because her interests and grip on the entire geographical region would suffer or disappear altogether.

But in general terms, British interests and the interests of African nations, from Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe to South Africa, tend to be diametrically opposed to each other.

as a student of policy and strategic studies,this is my take...

BRITAIN stands more to gain in a United Nigeria than a divide one.. reasons.
1.as former colonial masters, Britain and France are seeking dominance in Africa affair
2.nigeria having the biggest population of the former colonies, gives Britain a greater stake in Africa than France.
2.nigeria also having the largest GDP, also gives Britain a larger trading partner and greater influence in Africa.

1 Like

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by NavierStokes(m): 9:19pm On May 27, 2016
persius555:
Can somebody remind me how much the UK is repatraiting to nigeria as looted funds. I doubt its up to $200 million dollars.
And to think we are to give out $575 million dollars capital flight. The west control our economy.
Confirmed!!!

We are not to "give out", they earned it. Its money they worked for, that you have just forcefully withheld.

2 Likes

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by plaetton: 9:22pm On May 27, 2016
onatisi:
wait until emirates and Qatar airways pull out of Nigeria ,then you will know the implication of buhari negative policies . By then an airline ticket maybe sold for over 1.5 million naira .

It's so sad that just a few short years ago, we were celebrating the gradual but steady re-emergence of the Nigerian middle class.

By this time next year, it will just be the 99.5% poor and the political class.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by onatisi(m): 9:28pm On May 27, 2016
plaetton:

It's so sad that just a few short years ago, we were celebrating the gradual but steady re-emergence of the Nigerian middle class.

By this time next year, it will just be the 99.5% poor and the political class.

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Nobody: 9:29pm On May 27, 2016
Nigerian airlines would have taken advantage of some of these foreign carriers leaving the country, but the domestic airlines are weak.
They only control 10% of the international pax numbers to and fro Nigeria, which is pitiful.

I agree with an airline consultant who advocated for the 9 passenger airlines to be merged into 4 or 5 airlines in order for them to be financially strong.

I'd also call on the FG to set up a Bank of Industry solely for capital-intensive business (i.e. aviation, petroleum, shipping etc) with an initial capital base of N600bn. The bank's interest rates shouldn't be more than 8%. This would enable the airlines source relatively cheap funds to lease new planes and pay for regular maintenance of their aircraft.

2 Likes

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by tonguengineer(m): 9:29pm On May 27, 2016
SleekAboki:
The commandant of the fulani militias has finished this country!
The statement is suppose to be the commandant of the Libya militias
Lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by plaetton: 9:34pm On May 27, 2016
[quote author=onatisi post=46032744][/quote]

If only we had a parliamentary system, a vote of no confidence would have been passed against him sooner than later.
Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Eluwilussit(m): 9:37pm On May 27, 2016
pinkyliceous:
These fair-weather international companies, you enjoyed with us for the longest, why not endure with us for a short while?

I am not a zombie.

You think everyone is silly like Nigerians? They are on business for profit, not charity. If we make our business environment harsh, they run. If it is friendly and accommodating, businesses will flow continously. Out there, people apply common sense, not tribal, religious or regional sentiments.

With PMB, we goofed. grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by NavierStokes(m): 9:42pm On May 27, 2016
CFCman:
Nigerian airlines would have taken advantage of some of these foreign carriers leaving the country, but the domestic airlines are weak.
They only control 10% of the international pax numbers to and fro Nigeria, which is pitiful.

I agree with an airline consultant who advocated for the 9 passenger airlines to be merged into 4 or 5 airlines in order for them to be financially strong.

I'd also call on the FG to set up a Bank of Industry solely for capital-intensive business (i.e. aviation, petroleum, shipping etc) with an initial capital base of N600bn. The bank's interest rates shouldn't be more than 8%. This would enable the airlines source relatively cheap funds to lease new planes and pay for regular maintenance of their aircraft.

Lease new planes and perform routine maintenance with naira?

3 Likes

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by shehuolayinka(m): 9:42pm On May 27, 2016
And some slowpoke will be saying Buhari is transforming Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by ba7man(m): 9:48pm On May 27, 2016
amaechi1:

Please, where do we get the forex to remit?
They're not intelligent.

You want to blow his brain with that question?
Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by MARKone(m): 9:50pm On May 27, 2016
plaetton:

I have no idea what you're talking about , and how this discussion became a SE issue.

Pls Get your historical facts right.

It was Britain that encouraged Gowon to breach the Aburi Accord, which made the civil war inevitable.

It was the same Britain that supported and ensured victory for Nigeria against Igbos , who are traditionally Republican and hostile to British hegemonic interests.

British divestments in Nigeria would be good on the long run.

What ur are saying happened happened since 1966/67, how long will it take us to get our acts right and wise up. The problem is not the British or the Americans, the problem is with us.
Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by mkmyers45(m): 9:52pm On May 27, 2016
Keneking:
But where is lalasticlala sef
The following have given notice, local businesses should take the initiative.

Air France...going
Etihad....going
Qatar ...going

Amazing decision by PMB...who they help sef...

Nonsense, abeg Naira has to be strong again.

Per flight(London): 200 pax * N250,000ticket cost = N50,000,000 per day.

Per month : N1,500,000,000 for one airline

For one year : N180bn for one airline shocked

Jonathan ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cry

They employ less than 50 local staffers on full time employment, serve puff puff and subject humilating treatment on ECOWAS passport carriers. Nonsense.

Your knowledge of airline economics is so poor. Have you accounted for fuel, parking fees, ground handling fees, tax etc. It seems you dont know how expensive and how much fuel is needed for one flight? So sad

The fact you think local businesses can take advantage just shows my point.

1 Like

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by pinkyliceous(f): 9:53pm On May 27, 2016
PMB is mumufied.

Eluwilussit:

You think everyone is silly like Nigerians? They are on business for profit, not charity. If we make our business environment harsh, they run. If it is friendly and accommodating, businesses will flow continously. Out there, people apply common sense, not tribal, religious or regional sentiments.

With PMB, we goofed. grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! by Etogist: 10:02pm On May 27, 2016
I believe what is happening now is an act of God. Buhari is a divine tool being used to accomplish a project. When the project is completed, everyone will go to their various tents rejoicing. There will be no more Boko haram, Fulani herdsmen, NDA, Tribalism, IPOB, Marginalization, Quoter system and Favoritism. Agriculture will flourish, Mineral resources will be developed and every mind will be shifted from oil.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads / Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation / There Is No Difference Between Nigeria Air And MMM — Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.