Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,616 members, 7,809,260 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. (13635 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / The Daughter Who Took Financial Responsibility For Her Dad’s Love-child! / The Little Things That Determine The Success Of A Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by shade(f): 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2009
Most men nowadays seem 2 b shirking their financial responsibilities.It aint unheard of 2 hear wives paying the houserent,buying the groceries and even paying the children's school fees etc.So,in a marriage,what exactly is/are the wife's financial responsibility/responsibilities?.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Sissy3(f): 2:55am On Aug 23, 2009
for me, there isnt any special thing the woman should be doing with her money other than using it to help with the family upkeep just as the husband is doing and save for the rainy day.

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by goggs(m): 5:50pm On Aug 23, 2009
@ sissy - thank you o jare

If the husband cant carry the entire responsibility of the home why not help out? would you rather he steals? After all what a man can do, Seriously, if the woman earns some dough there should be no qualms helping out.

Things are difficult now more than ever and helping is it. Unless the man spends his money on useless things (aka other women or booze) there is no need to complain. Next time marry Dangote undecided
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by agathamari(f): 6:07pm On Aug 23, 2009
the husband and wife (yes singular!) should combine thier salaries and pay the bills out of the combined income and put the remainer into savings.  everyone in the home is responsible for its upkeep.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by eunisam: 6:34pm On Aug 23, 2009
What a man can do a Woman can do abi?

1 Like

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by hackney(m): 7:25pm On Aug 23, 2009
I think a 'wife's' financial responsibility will be buying her own clothes and sometimes for the kids.
She can buy something to cook for the family if she thinks the family will like it.

And maybe other bits and pieces.
If she's stupendously rich then help me get rich if you can and dont give me handouts or foot the bills for me.
(maybe thats just me - totally old fashioned)
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Nija4Life(m): 7:53pm On Aug 23, 2009
Financial responsibility should be shared between husband and wife as long as they both work. I and my wife both have a joint account to hold our incomes from where we sort out bills, food, rent etc and save for the rainy day.

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by captured(f): 8:06pm On Aug 23, 2009
you guys should focus and stop been sentimental or macho about the issue?
Not all men shirk responsibility becos they are lazy or incompetent, the economy situation makes a man priotize that is not to say some men dont always miss their priotity.
Whatever the reason, the woman needs to ensure that her husband's pride is not hurt as she tries to ensure a standard of living in the house, most men who think their wife does not spend on teh house should go an prize the food they eat, the children's clothes, teh actual cost of some of those parties and you will realise that a woman of virtue will act like she does not have a dime to spend when in actual fact, she is augmenting you change and making it do so much more.
Believe, when i say the alternative to this kind of woman is a nagging, wife who always has waiting list of expenditures and items at the end of each day, infact, all calls and sms during the day will be to add to the list from last night

but, if oga no complain, why dont you just use the money to set up a trust fund for your kids, buy properties and bonds in your children's names or plan a luxury second honeymoon cheesy
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Ameena(f): 8:15pm On Aug 23, 2009
I think a 'wife's' financial responsibility will be buying her own clothes and sometimes for the kids.
She can buy something to cook for the family if she thinks the family will like it.

And maybe other bits and pieces.
If she's stupendously rich then help me get rich if you can and dont give me handouts.
(maybe thats just me - totally old fashioned)

Well Hackney, i don't tink that's old fashioned. i totally share ur views. A woman should be the helping mate- lend a helping hand & not shoulder the major responsibilities in a marriage! but it's a different thing if the husband cannot handle his responsibiliteies- then he'll definitely need a whole lot of help!

1 Like

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 23, 2009
this is really food for thought! A mans title as head of the household has been centred on his financial contribution to his family, take that away and they offer nothin to maintainin a home, unless he's a stay at home dad.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by ayomidej(f): 9:29pm On Aug 23, 2009
To me if an husband cannot support the family and the wife is in that possible to support then I don't see a problem with that.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 23, 2009
if as a woman - you REALLY believe that you are your husbands equal - then you should SHARE the responsibilities . if however, you beleieve that women are below/inferior to men, then you are free to spend your money on clothes while leaving the real spending to your husband
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by na2day2(m): 3:51am On Aug 24, 2009
shade:

Most men nowadays seem 2 b shirking their financial responsibilities.It aint unheard of 2 hear wives paying the houserent,buying the groceries and even paying the children's school fees etc.So,in a marriage,what exactly is/are the wife's financial responsibility/responsibilities?.

no bi una force us to learn how to cook, clean house and take care of the children, we don reply by showing u the bills, u just got served  tongue tongue
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by chiogo(f): 3:52am On Aug 24, 2009
grocery, and umm. . .buying clothes for the kids.
And handling petty bills.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by na2day2(m): 4:17am On Aug 24, 2009
chiogo:

grocery, and umm. . .buying clothes for the kids.
And handling petty bills.

really? so u went to get a degree and spent all that time in college just to handle petty bills? shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by chiogo(f): 4:20am On Aug 24, 2009
na2day?:

really? so u went to get a degree and spent all that time in college just to handle petty bills? shocked shocked shocked
yes. . .bills are never fun. The rest of the money - you know where it goes. smiley
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Nobody: 4:26am On Aug 24, 2009
I wouldnt mind as long as he's not unemployed.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by na2day2(m): 5:29am On Aug 24, 2009
chiogo:

yes. . .bills are never fun. The rest of the money - you know where it goes. smiley

no i dont, kindly enlighten me smiley smiley smiley
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by rosepearl(f): 8:32am On Aug 24, 2009
i think as a wife, its my responsibility to take care of all that concerns the kids and our daily needs,while he should oversee the family at large.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by MyPeace(f): 9:14am On Aug 24, 2009
A woman is a help mate! A womans financial responsiblity is to compliment his efforts, close up his laspses. Where circumstances makes a woman the breadwinner, she has to endure and pray for a change, God didnt make it that way.

6 Likes

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Nezan(m): 10:13am On Aug 24, 2009
MyPeace:

A woman is a help mate! A womans financial responsiblity is to compliment his efforts, close up his laspses. Where circumstances makes a woman the breadwinner, she has to endure and pray for a change, God didnt make it that way.
This is my star comment,,,,,
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Shinatu: 10:23am On Aug 24, 2009
ezinne1212:

this is really food for thought! A mans title as head of the household has been centred on his financial contribution to his family, take that away and they offer nothin to maintainin a home, unless he's a stay at home dad.

My sentiments exactly, this is the question I have been asking concerning Nigerian marriages where 'stay at home dad' is a taboo, even when he physically stays at home  he is not expected to lift his finger to do anything in the house as as not to loose his 'head of the home' medal. What does he then have to offer, I wonder?

Maybe I am limiting my opinion to just my observations over the years, so I want to ask women in Nigeria who are splitting financial responsibilities with their husbands to let us know how they have been able to successfully split the other marital responsibilities also.

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Teminio: 11:14am On Aug 24, 2009
A woman's financial responsibility in marriage is that of support. Providing support to the man and ensure that he does not find himself in a financial mess especially if a woman is in a position to do so. In Nigeria today, all hands must be on deck to maintain quality standard of living in a family. It is therefore important that women are as equally responsible financially in marriage as men.

1 Like

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by darqly(m): 11:39am On Aug 24, 2009
I think they both should BRING TO THE TABLE. Its a partnership.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by impish: 11:44am On Aug 24, 2009
I believe in marriage, everything is down to a shared responsibility. In this day and age where both the husband and wife are working and earnin sum dooch, i feel taking care of the kids and home, and financial responsibility shud b shared as well. Tho its the womans duty to do the first two (kids and home), the husband shud b able to chip in when the wife is busy or tired. Personally, I wud luv my husband and I to hav a shared account dedicated to the home and kids upkeep. We wud both pay in a set amount evry mth and it is from this account that scl fees, house rent, bills, food, kids clothing will come from. But still, I can c myself dippin into my own account sumtimes and buyin stuff for the kids and house. If I was out shoppin for myself and saw a nice dress for my daughter, wud I bring out two cards and pay separately? Not worth it!!! grin grin grin

darqly:

I think they both should BRING TO THE TABLE. Its a partnership.

I agree with u!!
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by enet1(m): 11:59am On Aug 24, 2009
personally,i dont think there is any big deal in a woman helping a man in his financial responsiblity,but on a condition dt the man doesnt av a job and have really tried 2 get one.also d man must av be responsible if he has money on him.afterall, a man and a woman must contribute evrytin to make d family operate smoothly.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by chiogo(f): 3:58pm On Aug 24, 2009
na2day?:

no i dont, kindly enlighten me smiley smiley smiley
It goes to my pocket. duh.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by hotspice(f): 4:42pm On Aug 24, 2009
I blame the women who take over the responsibilities of men. it is alright if the woman chips in everynow and then but to continually pay for stuff like house rents or school fees, that is plain and down right wrong.

the men who like the skirts in the home should not comp[lain when the woman starts acting like she owns him, cos give a woman an inch she constructs a mile dual carriage way xcept if she has the fear of GOD. : cool

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by Amjustme: 5:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
From my experience and that of others, there are no hard or fast rules to most marriages. What works for me might not work for u.
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by na2day2(m): 1:07am On Aug 25, 2009
MyPeace:

see how quick una dey take God join the thing when bills time don reach but if the man quote talk say bible say make u dey subject to am, una go begin blow grammar like say no tomorrow angry angry

chiogo:

It goes to my pocket. duh.

true confession, God go catch all of una one by one angry angry
Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by chiogo(f): 2:03am On Aug 25, 2009
na2day?:

true confession, God go catch all of una one by one angry angry
I'll be happy to split the bill if he cooks, cleans, oh and gives birth too. wink

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. by C2H5OH(f): 2:08am On Aug 25, 2009
I wonder why you people get married if all you care about is separation.

Split this
Split that
Split this
Split that
fifty here
fifty there

some weak women here

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm Bored, So Why Not?? Yet Another Feminist Thread! / Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities / My Wife Finally Opens Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.