Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,736 members, 7,955,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:30 PM

Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities (13809 Views)

Wife Nags And Prioritises Of Her Family Responsibilities Above Her Marital Home. / Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money / Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by youngalex(m): 9:30am On Sep 11, 2013
my close friend with a secured job(earning #1.1m per annum),just started working last year is currently contemplating getting married but his family is kicking against it especially the mum who feels there are many family responsibilities(siblings in Uni,renovating the house in the village,opening a shop for mum etc) that needs to be taken care of ,he needs my advice so am throwing the issue to the house if u were in his shoes what will u do?

3 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by bellong: 9:37am On Sep 11, 2013
If he is emotionally ready and matured enough to be married, the tantrums of his mother shouldn't debar him. He was not born to live his life for them. Responsibilities do not end especially financial ones. He will have to support his family members and parents till life drops out of him.

Although, he owes his family by helping with his siblings' education when the need arises but the the burden of the responsibilities should not be put on him alone. Between, we do not know if there was an agreement with the family to sponsor him through school and once he gets a job, he will in turn see others through.

In summary, a categorical advice cannot be given except full information is known about the whole scenario. He knows what he wants, he should decide on what to do...

5 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 11, 2013
Na wa oh, all this plenty list on less than 100k per month not to even talk about tax, insurance pension etc, he will take less than 70k home a month. Ha.

I don't know the arrangement with his family but let him be rest assured that if he ignores Mama and go ahead to marry the wife will be constantly harrassed, God help her if she wears a new dress, she will be abused to high heavens for reaping where she didn't sow.

Why would we produce children and come and burden the other children with your reproductive decisions?
Not saying people shouldn't help out but to carry the whole family problems and lump on one who wasn't there when the parents decided to have plenty children is unfair.

I will appeal to him to talk honestly with his people, negotiate what he can and can't do.
I hope the fiance is working if not he will be adding another burden to his already heavy load on such small amount.

He must rent a house and not put her in his family house na die be that.
They shouldn't rush into having kids till the finances are stable, no need bringing a child and adding another mouth to feed.

I really hope we will rise up and say No to bad leadership, if the country was better the whole family wouldn't be depending on just one salary.

20 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by RoyalRoy(m): 10:05am On Sep 11, 2013
Its so unfair on the mother's part to insist on the young man not to get married.

Except of course if they have an agreement to that effect much earlier.

let him try & reason with the mum, get her a shop that will be generating some income, marry his girlfriend and help with the siblings with whatever he's got.
Of course all these have to do with serious planning.
It is well.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by sugardaddy1(m): 10:56am On Sep 11, 2013
Nobody has said he should not get married. They are rather saying he should help alleviate the sufferings of his sibblings to some extent before doing so.

I am not in support of the village house renevoation as that to me doesn't look too critical and could be pushed forward. However, if he opens a shop and makes the mother financially independent for instance, that would take a lot of responsibilities off his shoulders.

If he goes ahead to marry without addressing some of the concerns raised by his family, I feel very sorry for the woman that will marry him because she will never be welcome in that family.

7 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 11, 2013
This is not right at all. why do some parents do this? a lady in my office told me she will be free to marry by next yr. cos by then, she must have paid all the debt her parents got into to train her in sch. this lady is around 32yrs. parents should stop all these rules. nobody beg his/her parent to be born. so, if u can give birth to a child (children) pls try to takia of them

7 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by biolabee(m): 11:55am On Sep 11, 2013
Parents do it because of poverty

Let him settle his obligations and let the siblings be on their feet or else they will still burden his new family

Is it now the parents fault they are poor

They focussed on the shining light so he can help the rest when he is on his feet

A rich man among poor people is poor

Alternatively, he is free to abdicate his responsibilities after all this is the new millenium .. Lol

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by okpanachil: 12:52pm On Sep 11, 2013
@ biolabee Thank you joor,some of us actually make contributions like we don't understand our environment.While I do no support d idea of birthing kids you can't take care of d truth is ds tns happen.You rili think d@ d poster and d would be wife would have peace if he doesn't yield on ds matter. Do you guys know how much sacrifice d family wld have made 2 make sure he is where he is today and d resultant expectation frm ds sacrifices,to tell u d truth d poster wld neva b happy whenever he luks back and sees those family member he wld have helped not making d cut in life? Marriage in d african community transcends just d two couples,have u guys ever tut of wat d relationship btw the family of d guy and d wife would be . I have seen ds tns happen firsthand and to tell you d truth its never fun. some of us don too stay oyinbo land so we no even knw wassup for area again.My advice is d guy should just do his best and prioritize the projects that would improve the lot of d family but watever d case is never easy.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by tpia5: 2:13pm On Sep 11, 2013
However, if he opens a shop and makes the mother financially independent for instance, that would take a lot of responsibilities off his shoulders.

not sure why nlers tend to feel opening a shop equals financial success.

it doesnt always work like that.

if the business doesnt move as well as predicted, then you start heaping blame on the shop owner.

his opening a shop for the mother doesnt necessarily mean his responsibilities wont remain.

3 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by tpia5: 2:15pm On Sep 11, 2013
okpanachil: @ biolabee Thank you joor,some of us actually make contributions like we don't understand our environment.While I do no support d idea of birthing kids you can't take care of d truth is ds tns happen.You rili think d@ d poster and d would be wife would have peace if he doesn't yield on ds matter. Do you guys know how much sacrifice d family wld have made 2 make sure he is where he is today and d resultant expectation frm ds sacrifices,to tell u d truth d poster wld neva b happy whenever he luks back and sees those family member he wld have helped not making d cut in life? Marriage in d african community transcends just d two couples,have u guys ever tut of wat d relationship btw the family of d guy and d wife would be . I have seen ds tns happen firsthand and to tell you d truth its never fun. some of us don too stay oyinbo land so we no even knw wassup for area again.My advice is d guy should just do his best and prioritize the projects that would improve the lot of d family but watever d case is never easy.

true talk.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by sexymoma(f): 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2013
Tell him to get his wife pregnant or better still he should travel out of the country for some time then come back with his fiancee.

Shey the guy na jesus... wey be say he go die for their sin.
Let them get educated to his level too now so they can also earn the same amount.

I swear the mother of the man wont like his wife cos she is already hating her even when she hasn't seen her.

3 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Pray(m): 2:37pm On Sep 11, 2013
He is not ready for marriage. Thats all....

3 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Lilaex: 2:37pm On Sep 11, 2013
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2013
Na wa oh - I will advice the guy to find a way to talk to the mother and plead with her cos he needs the mother's blessing and not fair for him to delay his life as well all in the name of "responsibility"
This is one of the reasons why i think self sponsor education is great, cos there is a possibiblty that his siblings sold pure water and beans for him to finish his school . . . I hope all work out for the guy.
Also, 1.1M Naira is a lot of money but for sure wont be able to take care of ALL of THEM - For God's sake, that is less than 100K a month cry
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by MrAboki: 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2013
youngalex: my close friend with a secured job(earning #1.1m per annum),just started working last year is currently contemplating getting married but his family is kicking against it especially the mum who feels there are many family responsibilities(siblings in Uni,renovating the house in the village,opening a shop for mum etc) that needs to be taken care of ,he needs my advice so am throwing the issue to the house if u were in his shoes what will u do?

Haaaahahahaa..

I just cant stop laughing long enough to type a sensible response.. grin
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by scientology(m): 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
your mum is right......
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Lilimax(f): 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
youngalex: my close friend with a secured job(earning #1.1m per annum),just started working last year is currently contemplating getting married but his family is kicking against it especially the mum who feels there are many family responsibilities(siblings in Uni,renovating the house in the village,opening a shop for mum etc) that needs to be taken care of ,he needs my advice so am throwing the issue to the house if u were in his shoes what will u do?
The earlier he get 'detached' from his mother and set up his family, the better for him.
I'm talking from experience... He should try and settle his mother and sibbling to the level he can and face his own family else he may never get off the family responsibilty.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
biolabee: Parents do it because of poverty

Let him settle his obligations and let the siblings be on their feet or else they will still burden his new family

Is it now the parents fault they are poor

They focussed on the shining light so he can help the rest when he is on his feet

A rich man among poor people is poor

Alternatively, he is free to abdicate his responsibilities after all this is the new millenium .. Lol

Kai, if he has to settle responsibility, the dude could as well just admit he will be single for the rest of his life, what will 92K Naira a month do in the midst of family and even to renovate a house, men, i feel for the dude and hope all ends well

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
Trust me, my dad did it, immediately he died, those same family members turned their baks on us and were the very ones giving my mum problems. It's not worth it, Your happiness is supreme, any family responsiblity can come after your husband or wife and kids.

3 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 2:41pm On Sep 11, 2013
Lilimax:
The earlier he get 'detached' from his mother and set up his family, the better for him.
I'm talking from experience... He should try and settle his mother and sibbling to the level he can and face his own family else he may never get off the family responsibilty.

Not that simple and easy, cos a curse from a mother is not easy to deal with, at same time, we have no idea what the mother and even the siblings has passed through to get him to the 1.1M Naira annually recipient.

2 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 2:43pm On Sep 11, 2013
kennygee: Trust me, my dad did it, immediately he died, those same family members turned their baks on us and were the very ones giving my mum problems. It's not worth it, Your happiness is supreme, any family responsiblity can come after your husband or wife and kids.

Sorry to hear this, but in the case of this young man, his mother has seen that 92K Naira will not be enuf for the dude to take care of his wife and kids not to talk of the extended family.
But the part that i think is kinda selfish is talking of renovating the house.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by bebechuks: 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2013
bellong: If he is emotionally ready and matured enough to be married, the tantrums of his mother shouldn't debar him. He was not born to live his life for them. Responsibilities do not end especially financial ones. He will have to support his family members and parents till life drops out of him.

Although, he owes his family by helping with his siblings' education when the need arises but the the burden of the responsibilities should not be put on him alone. Between, we do not know if there was an agreement with the family to sponsor him through school and once he gets a job, he will in turn see others through. You just said my mind. Besides d salary is less dan a 100k. So y all these?

In summary, a categorical advice cannot be given except full information is known about the whole scenario. He knows what he wants, he should decide on what to do...
you just said my mind. Besides d salary is less dan a 100k. So y all these?
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by obelisk(m): 2:47pm On Sep 11, 2013
When he becomes a man, he will marry.

2 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 11, 2013
Marriage is not a thing that a man should rush into, we should not also forget that the Mother is saying all these because when a man Marries a woman, some responsibilities of the wife's family automatically becomes his, and some men because of fear of loosing their wife tend to Ignore their family after marriage while the family of their wife benefits from them, the mother is only being concerned about the Burden of the family and if the man isn't able to fulfill this, then he is not financially ready for marriage, Settling your immediate family should be every mans priority before getting into marriage, this is Africa, not America or Europe.

7 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 11, 2013
If he is the first son let him settle his family first, man must do what he gat to do. With that amount he is earning now it is too small, 1.1m per year? Can he take care of a woman with it. Let him open up another business for himself, then when he gets more money he should open a business for his family so that the needs of his siblings can be settled from there... Omoh woman need no be wetin earning of 1.1M per year go fit solve, not to talk of when the woman starts droping children.

At 1.1m he should be looking into opening another business that will be making him money and not to talk of getting married. Family issue no be small matter o
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Afrocatalyst: 2:52pm On Sep 11, 2013
Family responsibility is no excuse to delay marriage. You can plan both. Besides you dnt marry and live with ur mum. Dat's wrong. I also have family responsibilities bt I married at 25.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Lilimax(f): 2:53pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Not that simple and easy, cos a curse from a mother is not easy to deal with, at same time, we have no idea what the mother and even the siblings has passed through to get him to the 1.1M Naira annually recipient.
Are you saying he should be enslaved to the his family without facing his own immediate family? Little wonder most of them end up marrying very late...

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 2:55pm On Sep 11, 2013
eddiebruk: Marriage is not a thing that a man should rush into, we should not also forget that the Mother is saying all these because when a man Marries a woman, some responsibilities of the wife's family automatically becomes his, and some men because of fear of loosing their wife tend to Ignore their family after marriage while the family of their wife benefits from them, the mother is only being concerned about the Burden of the family and if the man isn't able to fulfill this, then he is not financially ready for marriage, Settling your immediate family should be every mans priority before getting into marriage, this is Africa, not America or Europe.

inasmuch as you are so right, i still think it is selfish

3 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 2:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
gboss4sure: If he is the first son let him settle his family first, man must do what he gat to do. With that amount he is earning now it is too small, 1.1m per year? Can he take care of a woman with it. Let him open up another business for himself, then when he gets more money he should open a business for his family so that the needs of his siblings can be settled from there... Omoh woman need no be wetin earning of 1.1M per year go fit solve, not to talk of when the woman starts droping children.

At 1.1m he should be looking into opening another business that will be making him money and not to talk of getting married. Family issue no be small matter o

How long would he have to do that, cos i am not sure he could be able to save from that salary . . . 92K Naira a month, we not sure how far he live from work and how much he has to spend on this and that, i honestly feel sorry for the dude, cos he surely will need some other money on the side to make ends meet
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 2:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
Afrocatalyst: Family responsibility is no excuse to delay marriage. You can plan both. Besides you dnt marry and live with ur mum. Dat's wrong. I also have family responsibilities bt I married at 25.

Yes, but not with a salary of 92K Naira a month
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 2:58pm On Sep 11, 2013
Lilimax: Are you saying he should be enslaved to the his family without facing his own immediate family? Little wonder most of them end up marrying very late...

Not at all, if you read my first comment, he need to go to mom, go on his kneels and explain to Mom why it will take him forever to marry if he has to wait and take care of all those things, cos his salary is not fat enuf to take care of all those responsibilities

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fire Kills Family Of Five In Kebbi State (photo) / Punishment You Hated As A Child / Herbert Wigwe Wife Biography, Children, Net Worth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.