Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,313 members, 7,954,256 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:30 PM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30929 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 11:26pm On Aug 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Last I checked, Panhandling is sort of a crime even in Nigeria. So, why deport CRIMINALS when the LAW is meant to PUNISH them?

Because eviction (as Sauron corrected me  grin) is more expedient and less harmful to both parties.

Expedient as in costs less in finances and pain.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 11:28pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

@Sauron
Please be serious let us focus on this thread.

I am serious. . . . .I was in Abia State when Orji Kalu was the governor.
He copped some good projects under his belt. . . .

mikeansy:

bovvered?
Na for Britain you dey see the wonders of Kalu

You people amuse me. . . . .So someone in Britain cannot travel home and see things for himself?
Which planet are you guys from?

Make you go shopping for Ariaria Market or drive through PH Road
then you come back come tell me wetin u see for Abia wey Kalu do

Since Nigeria lacks the maintenance culture. . . . .I won't be surprised if y'all have deteriorated the many facilities Mr. Kalu put in place.

please lets focus on the topic.

Ma eyes are on the ball and i still reiterate Fashola is right to evict these beggars.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 11:29pm On Aug 23, 2009
wow what a dissapointing news!!!

nigeria. the only place where you are being deported from your own country for being poor!!!!
what has the nigerian constitution have to say about this anyways?  I mean

So, why deport CRIMINALS when the LAW is meant to PUNISH them?

exactly!
this makes no sense to me at all!!! deporting people from lagos to another state. wharrahell?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 11:32pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

last time i checked babies dont go to jail so we sendin their asses back
Roflmao!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 11:33pm On Aug 23, 2009
las giddi government is sending the beggars packin but i hope the government sets up something in each state so people wont flock to lagos or abj causing over populated cities
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 11:34pm On Aug 23, 2009
All the Yoruba here seem to be speaking as though they all hail from Lagos. I will like to hear the opinion of Yoruba from other states, in view of the fact that Fasola had deported non Lagos Yoruba (as I now hear) to their states. If you are from Oyo, are you happy that Fasola deported Oyo beggars back to Oyo?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by presido1: 11:34pm On Aug 23, 2009
Who did they hand them(beggars) to when they arrived at their assumed state? This is to show that we are not one but to say it is the problem but indirectly we are showing it off everyday. Deporting northerner to north cuz he is a Beggar shocked shocked shocked shocked. Don't worry you Fash has just increased the number of potential Boko Haramites.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 11:36pm On Aug 23, 2009
oyinda.:

nigeria. the only place where you are being deported from your own country for being poor!!!!
what has the nigerian constitution have to say about this anyways?  I mean

Correction, not for being poor!

For solely depending on panhandling and never having other productive ambitions. Also as it is a transfer of a regionally self-inflicted problem.

You can not raise your local people to be almajiris and dispatch them to Lagos to practice the eyesore.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 11:37pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

All the Yoruba here seem to be speaking as though they all hail from Lagos. I will like to hear the opinion of Yoruba from other states, in view of the fact that Fasola had deported non Lagos Yoruba (as I now hear) to their states. If you are from Oyo, are you happy that Fasola deported Oyo beggars back to Oyo?

Sharrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap!!!!
This is not DEPORTATION. . . . .It is EVICTION.
Maroko residents were evicted but because the bulk of them were Yoruba, there was no outcry.
Just because some buncha Hausa miscreants were sent packing the country won't rest. . . . .

sjeezy8:

last time i checked babies dont go to jail so we sendin their asses back

It's appalling the way those Hausa peops litter the streets of Lagos with their Queen's English. grin
Afaukwu and his mates are acting like Gandhi's cousins here.
Let these beggars pitch tents in front of their gates and watch another Biafra war start. . . . .Buncha hypocrites.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by pcicero(m): 11:37pm On Aug 23, 2009
I still say it's good riddance to bad rubbish grin grin grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 11:38pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

Lagos is overcrowded and needs decongesting to progress. If there is anyone in Lagos being unproductive and cannot afford Lagos, then bleeping evict their arse even if they are from Sagamu.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 11:39pm On Aug 23, 2009
oyinda.:

what has the nigerian constitution have to say about this anyways? I mean

exactly!
this makes no sense to me at all!!! deporting people from lagos to another state. wharrahell?
They are being evicted not deported like sauron said.lol. But be honest if it was the yorubas dat went to kano or zaria to beg for money on the street, do u think the people there not the governors will allow it just 4 a mnt b4 they send them packing?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2009
Folks all this is just scratching the edges

If every State Government is made to control the resources within their state and live within their means

we wont have people allwoing people to cross the boarder from Niger Republic or have people Taking four wives and giving birth to 50 children in one house hold. Because with that if you talk about Birth control and Immigration control it will make sense.

We have a country with finite resources, no progress in terms of infrastructure and yet the population is increasing at exponential rate. The status quo is not sustainable. We are breeding poverty with our inaction and this is a direct example of it.

At the end of the day all this boils down to the sense that there is a center with all the resources and everyone try to manipulate the system to benefit from the center. This is at the heart of this confusion, it is also at the heart of why we will never get our census right and by extension never get our elections right.

We can choose to continue papering the edges or solve the problem. The Status Quo is not sustainable.
Fashola did not need to break the law, he can not also continue breaking the law as someone rightly pointed out these folks will surely take the next bus and head down south.

All we need is to have a serious debate about this issues with a view to honestly tackle them.

This jungle style co-existence is of no use.

ONE Nigeria when it is convenient, the next moment people bring all sorts of innovations to the law when it suits them.
It does not make sense.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2009
All this is happening at a time the North feels under siege. Someone has done an expedient and populist calculation without properly weighing the costs.
On the other hand; if the costs have been weighed, I doubt this nation can even reach 2011 at this rate. We are already deporting "non-nationals". Na wa!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 11:44pm On Aug 23, 2009
It's all about accountability and it's good to see Fashola bucking the system and telling the north to go pound stone.

Take care of your. Enough is enough.

Just too bad we have a lot of hypocrites and shortsighted people around here, they whine and complain about the north and their BS but will never call them out on their BS.

Fashola lunched the first salvo by scolding yaradua and his stupid ultimatum, this is the second shot and I can't wait to see the 3rd, 4th, 5th>>>>

Lagos is the last frontier, it's the last and only sane, progressive, peaceful and cohesive state in Nigeria and Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Ijaw in laggos and other lagosians will do anything to keep it that way,

Afaukwu, you're not making any sense, yoruba this/yoruba that tribalism is clouding your judgment and your assertions are Ignorant or borderline Ignorant.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 11:45pm On Aug 23, 2009
babapupa:

It's all about accountability and it's good to see Fashola bucking the system and telling the north to go pound stone.

Take care of your. Enough is enough.

Just too bad we have a lot of hypocrites and shortsighted people around here, they whine and complain about the north and their BS but will never call them out on their BS.

Fashola lunched the first salvo by scolding yaradua and his stupid ultimatum, this is the second shot and I can't wait to see the 3rd, 4th, 5th>>>>

Lagos is the last frontier, it's the last and only sane, progressive, peaceful and cohesive state in Nigeria and Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Ijaw in laggos and other lagosians will do anything to keep it that way,

+1.

Afaukwu, you're not making any sense, yoruba this/yoruba that tribalism is clouding your judgment and your assertions are Ignorant or borderline Ignorant.

Don't mind Afaukwu. . . . .Will he open his gates for these beggars to stay?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 11:46pm On Aug 23, 2009
lol i have family in osun state/ogun state and they have no reason to come to las giddi, they are cool farming lol

The ones who come to las giddi working and paying taxes NOT BEGGING
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 11:46pm On Aug 23, 2009
TOPE2000!:

They are being evicted not deported like sauron said.lol. But be honest if it was the yorubas dat went to kano or zaria to beg for money on the street, do u think the people there not the governors will allow it just 4 a mnt b4 they send them packing?

It's amazing how you folks are the first to say it's nothing tribal but your explanations have TRIBE written all over it.
Until someone gives us a link where Fashola deported all the numerous Yoruba beggars in Lagos to their respective states,you guys are just making noise.
You cannot descriminate against a fellow Nigerian by forcefully moving him from one location to another without his consent,his economic status notwithstanding.
It is criminal to do so.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 11:49pm On Aug 23, 2009
Sauron,

The title says Deported.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 11:50pm On Aug 23, 2009
Fashola is an idiot and anyone that supports this move is a bigger idiot.
Is Lagos now a sovereign state within Nigeria or what?
What right does Fashanumanu have to move people to a state that may not even be their state of origin?
and this lunatic is supposed to be a lawyer?
has he read the Nigerian constitution?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 11:51pm On Aug 23, 2009
People keep saying it was an eviction not deportation. Well eviction means you simply throw the folk out on the streets, on the other hand deportation means you transport the miscreants to their place of origin.

We have witnessed the first internal deportation in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 23, 2009
some are playing with semantics

deportation or eviction

both are forceful removal or relocation of a Nigerian against their will and without a court order, its criminal.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 11:52pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

Sauron,
The title says Deported.

"Deportation" is the wrong word to apply here.
The OP had it in quotes so you should shine your eye.
U have to expel someone from a country before you can use the word "deportation".

$osisi:

It's amazing how you folks are the first to say it's nothing tribal but your explanations have TRIBE written all over it.
Until someone gives us a link where Fashola deported all the numerous Yoruba beggars in Lagos to their respective states,you guys are just making noise.

Why should he deport Yoruba beggars in Lagos?
How do you prove they are not natives of Lagos State?

You cannot descriminate against a fellow Nigerian by forcefully moving home from one location to another without his consent.
It is criminal to do so.

I didn't see you here when Maroko residents were forcefully evicted.
This is not the first time people are being moved from one place to another in Lagos. . .If you don't like it, sprint back to your village.
Go and do the same in the East, abeg.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 11:52pm On Aug 23, 2009
@osisi, let fashola evict every beggers, yoruba, hausa n igbo unless the state of origin of the begger is lagos state. cool
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 11:53pm On Aug 23, 2009
$osisi:

You cannot descriminate against a fellow Nigerian by forcefully moving him from one location to another without his consent,his economic status notwithstanding.
It is criminal to do so.

we have demolished many slums and shanty towns in las giddi inhabitated by yorubas

The average lagosian nowadays yoruba igbo hausa want a clean city OK
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 11:54pm On Aug 23, 2009
Osisi Lagos did the same to some beggars from Oyo.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 11:54pm On Aug 23, 2009
Sagamite:

Because eviction (as Sauron corrected me  grin) is more expedient and less harmful to both parties.

Expedient as in costs less in finances and pain.

Oh come on!!! If these Pan Handlers head back into lagos tommorow, how much will that save the state?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 11:55pm On Aug 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Oh come on!!! If these Pan Handlers head back into lagos tommorow, how much will that save the state?

well evict them again even farther lol
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 11:57pm On Aug 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Why should he deport Yoruba beggars in Lagos?
How do you prove they are not natives of Lagos State?

You couldn't have illustrated it better (although that wasn't your intention).
This is exactly how some would see the black and white of this action:

Yoruba beggars = Lagosians shocked
Northern beggars not = Lagosians shocked
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 11:58pm On Aug 23, 2009
TOPE2000!:

@osisi, let fashola evict every beggers, yoruba, hausa n igbo unless the state of origin of the begger is lagos state. cool

He has no right to do so.
You don't evict people from the streets
They are Nigerians and they can live wherever they please.
Is he trying to create an utopian Lagos with no street beggars?
Rubbish
And for how long?
That's why I repeat that all these Nigerian politicians are idiots
every one of them
They all think through their rectum
They want to create a city of London in Lagos  but fail to ask what London does with it's down trodden?
Let's see how far his madness will go
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 11:59pm On Aug 23, 2009

Alao-Akala accuses Fashola of dumping beggars in Ibadan

From Iyabo Lawal (Ibadan) and Kamal Tayo Oropo (Lagos)

OYO State Governor, Adebayo Alao-Akala, yesterday alleged that his Lagos State counterpart, Babatunde Fashola, had been dumping beggars undergoing rehabilitation in Lagos on the streets of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

advertisement
Alao-Akala said the alleged action was a deliberate act to sabotage his efforts in transforming Oyo State.

The governor alleged that in the early hours of yesterday, some Lagos State government officials conveyed 120 beggars in eight trucks to Molete area of Ibadan and abandoned them there.

He claimed that the beggars were arrested in various parts of Lagos in the last six months but housed and rehabilitated at Majidun in Ikorodu area of Lagos State by the Fashola administration.

Alao-Akala, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Public Communications, Dotun Oyelade, frowned at the alleged action of the Lagos State government and threatened to take the matter up.

His words: "The Oyo State government is working hard to clean the environment as well as rid the city of beggars and any act of sabotage from Lagos or any other neighbouring state will be firmly resisted.

Some of the 'deportees' who spoke with The Guardian said they were moved from Majidun on Wednesday night and dumped under the Molete flyover in the early hours of yesterday with a parting gift of N200.

The beggars apparently went back to 'business' immediately as they moved to different parts of the city seeking alms.

At the Governor's Office, 10 of them were seen loitering around and begging for alms. One of them, who identified himself as Alhaji Muka Bello said he is an indigene of Ibadan but was arrested while roaming the streets of Lagos by the state's officials.

Asked where his family house is located, an incoherent Bello said he could not remember.

Sixty five-year-old Mujidatu Gbadamosi said she was on her way to the dry cleaner on Lagos Island when she was arrested.

Gbadamosi, who said she still had her family at the Pelewura area of Lagos, appealed to the Oyo State government to support her financially so that she could go back to Lagos.

Mrs. Fehintola Ogundare, an indigene of Osun State, said she was arrested at the Aroloya area of Lagos Island when she was seeing off a visitor.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/10/14.html
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 11:59pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

we have demolished many slums and shanty towns in las giddi inhabitated by yorubas

The average lagosian nowadays yoruba igbo hausa want a clean city OK

They should all leave Lagos. . . . .Any unproductive miscreant should leave the city. . .
Have u seen the facilities in Lagos? The overpopulation has crippled the state.
NEPA transformers cannot cope. . . .NITEL is non-existent(i doubt you can use a landfone to call your neighbour across the street).
Whatz more? There are only 12,000 policemen in Lagos to keep law and order in a state with a population of 20 million. . . .

By all means. . . . .Fashola should drive every one of them out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

EFCC Confronts Obanikoro With $1m Bureau De Change Receipts / South-East Is A Barren Soil – Asari Dokubo Blasts Those Hailing Unknown Gunmen / Report: NNPC top mgt to go, accounts to be probed-Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.