Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,887 members, 7,817,613 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone (53043 Views)

Benefits Of Having A Verified Social Media Account. / Backup & Restore KIK Chats From Iphone / Ipad / Ipod Touch / How Can I Download Two Kik On My Fone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by chibaik(m): 4:43am On May 31, 2016
Those were Buhari men fighting corruption. But they collected 2k and let the yahoo boy go. And that is not corruption.

Illiterate police men under illiterate president, what do you expect?

We have changed from freedom to chain.

3 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by dipznano: 4:44am On May 31, 2016
bawz012:

wat is he feeling like...

Google is ur friend bro angry

Or better still 'what you long to feel like'

grin grin grin
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by obi58: 4:49am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:
Like an hour ago, I was at the back sit of SARS vehicle with handcuffs in my hands. They said am a Yahoo boy for having a kik application on my smartphone.

I was traveling from Omu Aran to ilorin, I pressed up, wearing my blue Jean, T shirt, my newly bought African shaped neck chain and All stars sneakers. So the journey began and we passed the first police check point and few minutes after continuing the journey, we got to SARS people (at a junction in about entering Oke Onigbin town) and we were told to come down (all boys), I first feel scared but also I have nothing to be scared off cause I have the receipt for all my gadget with me, so I keep calm and answer his question perfectly. He check my pocket and found my two phones (Lumia 535 and Infinix Note 2), he check my bags and found my belongings (books, wires and my laptops), he asked if I have the receipt and I answered yes. Then he said I should unlock my phone (Note 2), I did and he start checking then he saw a social media app (KIK) on my phone, he asked if am a "game boy" and I said yes, all my mind was he is asking about video games because I have up to 20 games on my phone. He check other guys then told me to follow him, I did and he said "it's good that I don't lie", he asked my school and my name and I told him. Then from no where he said am a "Yahoo boy", the soul in me seems to left my body that moment, I realise am in big soup and I start swearing on everything that comes to my mouth. I deny his allegations then he start frowning and threat to destroy my career in school and that I will go to jail if I didn't confess, so I decided to come down to his level and ask how much to settle him, he said 20k, I started begging but he's desperate and then he called his boss, an old man, to my surprise he also lay the same allegations and all I can do is start begging and swearing am not a Yahoo boy.

After begging and rejecting their allegations, I was told to sit behind their vehicle, I did and they close the door on me while one of them keep saying they should handcuff me, I keep rejecting their allegations and then the guy earlier attempted to slap me right in the vehicle I sat in, he then decided to handcuff me from then. They start claiming they will destroy my life, that I agreed to been a Yahoo boy and then I started denying it again. I decided to keep shut and wait till my dad comes since we are not too far from home and I have signal to my brother (we both traveling together) to call my dad which he did, I waited and didn't talk to them anymore. Every cars passing were all looking at me right behind the vehicle, I felt embarrassed.

My dad came and they attended to him, they tell him what they said I am (yahoo boy) and that I have admit it, he knowing fully well who I am, told them that I am not and he knows fully what I do online. He told them that I am an importer and also work online as a freelance graphic designer. They said the app is for Yahoo boys and not app to import goods. I can't help but burst into tears because am presently embarrassing my dad along with me.

The boss then show my dad an app on his phone but my dad doesn't know anything about this stuff, the boss told me to explain what happened in front of my dad, I did and he ask why I have those apps on my phone, I explain am an importer and also an online person but he left and asked the first guy to attend to us. So my dad asked what the solution is since he knows they all want money, I didn't hear what goes next but he later gave them 2k after demanding for 5k, they removed the handcuff, gave my phone back to me and we left.

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire 20 years on earth, I only hear it but it happened to me today. It makes it my first time in their car or police car and first time of been in handcuff (which breaks my heart).

This is purely violation of human right and I regret that I have no evidence to follow this up. But never can I forget their faces on this earth.

***The app (Kik) is a social media app which I used to chat with a friend in Los Angeles, not a very common app in Nigeria but one of the most used app in USA making it the only social app to connect with her.

If this is what Nigeria has become (became), then it's a sad story.

Don't know if this is the right section, mods plz help forward to Front Page.

Very very poor English for a student... Embarrassing!

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by ohdahphae: 4:54am On May 31, 2016
Same thing happened to me. It doesn't matter where you live, whether Na omu-aran or aso rock. I'm a corper serving in omu-aran, those Sars people can be quite brutal. I was walking on the road on my own jeje, all of a sudden one car just started coming towards me, I could see it ahead so I took evasive action. Three of them burst out of the vehicle commando style and started coming towards me. All armed! one had a cutlass sef. One of them got a hold of me and started searching me. I don't know what he was looking for but he kept searching and searching. When he finally realized there was nothing to be found, he took my wallet and started searching it too that's when he saw my ID. "Oh! Na nysc you be?" I didn't utter a word, I was already very upset. He handed me my wallet and tried to make a joke which I ignored completely, I just took my wallet and walked away.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by dipznano: 5:02am On May 31, 2016
franciskaine:
u wicked I swear. But the op na small boy sha. I dress properly that no policeman dare try nonsense with me. My hair cut afro with my normal shirt(long sleeve) and trouser. D kind English wey I go speak for the policeman im go know say to graduate for political science no easy.

Lool... No dulling sire

Won ni duro grin

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 5:04am On May 31, 2016
They just want money that's all undecided
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by iDashNaira: 5:25am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:
Like an hour ago, I was at the back sit of SARS vehicle with handcuffs in my hands. They said am a Yahoo boy for having a kik application on my smartphone.

I was traveling from Omu Aran to ilorin, I pressed up, wearing my blue Jean, T shirt, my newly bought African shaped neck chain and All stars sneakers. So the journey began and we passed the first police check point and few minutes after continuing the journey, we got to SARS people (at a junction in about entering Oke Onigbin town) and we were told to come down (all boys), I first feel scared but also I have nothing to be scared off cause I have the receipt for all my gadget with me, so I keep calm and answer his question perfectly. He check my pocket and found my two phones (Lumia 535 and Infinix Note 2), he check my bags and found my belongings (books, wires and my laptops), he asked if I have the receipt and I answered yes. Then he said I should unlock my phone (Note 2), I did and he start checking then he saw a social media app (KIK) on my phone, he asked if am a "game boy" and I said yes, all my mind was he is asking about video games because I have up to 20 games on my phone. He check other guys then told me to follow him, I did and he said "it's good that I don't lie", he asked my school and my name and I told him. Then from no where he said am a "Yahoo boy", the soul in me seems to left my body that moment, I realise am in big soup and I start swearing on everything that comes to my mouth. I deny his allegations then he start frowning and threat to destroy my career in school and that I will go to jail if I didn't confess, so I decided to come down to his level and ask how much to settle him, he said 20k, I started begging but he's desperate and then he called his boss, an old man, to my surprise he also lay the same allegations and all I can do is start begging and swearing am not a Yahoo boy.

After begging and rejecting their allegations, I was told to sit behind their vehicle, I did and they close the door on me while one of them keep saying they should handcuff me, I keep rejecting their allegations and then the guy earlier attempted to slap me right in the vehicle I sat in, he then decided to handcuff me from then. They start claiming they will destroy my life, that I agreed to been a Yahoo boy and then I started denying it again. I decided to keep shut and wait till my dad comes since we are not too far from home and I have signal to my brother (we both traveling together) to call my dad which he did, I waited and didn't talk to them anymore. Every cars passing were all looking at me right behind the vehicle, I felt embarrassed.

My dad came and they attended to him, they tell him what they said I am (yahoo boy) and that I have admit it, he knowing fully well who I am, told them that I am not and he knows fully what I do online. He told them that I am an importer and also work online as a freelance graphic designer. They said the app is for Yahoo boys and not app to import goods. I can't help but burst into tears because am presently embarrassing my dad along with me.

The boss then show my dad an app on his phone but my dad doesn't know anything about this stuff, the boss told me to explain what happened in front of my dad, I did and he ask why I have those apps on my phone, I explain am an importer and also an online person but he left and asked the first guy to attend to us. So my dad asked what the solution is since he knows they all want money, I didn't hear what goes next but he later gave them 2k after demanding for 5k, they removed the handcuff, gave my phone back to me and we left.

I have never experienced anything like this in my entire 20 years on earth, I only hear it but it happened to me today. It makes it my first time in their car or police car and first time of been in handcuff (which breaks my heart).

This is purely violation of human right and I regret that I have no evidence to follow this up. But never can I forget their faces on this earth.

***The app (Kik) is a social media app which I used to chat with a friend in Los Angeles, not a very common app in Nigeria but one of the most used app in USA making it the only social app to connect with her.

Welcome to adulthood in Nigeria. However, when people ask you question you don't understand, ask for clarity.

Secondly, when you are stepping out of your house, dress properly.

Thirdly, you need to work on your charisma, you fell deep into their trap by asking them how much to settle the matter. What matter are you settling when you have committed no crime.

Cheers and welcome to being an adult in Nigeria, anything can happen, just be ready at all times. Rehearse what you will do in your head when arm robbery happens, police harasses you,your girlfriend breaks your heart, your lecturer decides to you won't pass unless you buy his handout etc...
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Menzy86(m): 5:44am On May 31, 2016
I cant really say if its my looks that usually give me away but uniform people generally kinda feel apprehensive when they see me. I've been stopped and searched on dat same route(somwhr after eruku) by dat same SARS B4. As people have been saying, panic is their biggest weapon against u. I don't even panic b4 armed forces people talkless of police. At 20 sha u r still quite young so I kinda understand why it happened d way it did. Dont b scared of police. Though u need to be careful as many hav been accidentally discharged to their early graves.

2 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by sirrinky: 5:46am On May 31, 2016
Otunba4eva:
Oops, you particularly caused every thing that happen to you. Why? You lacked the ability to express yourself properly before an officer. Thank your God they didn't battered your face before they released you. They have seen the fret in you, you are already choking and they took advantage of you. You aren't properly inform about the law and you don't even know your fundamental human right.
After saying all these,it would utterly stupid on your part if you fail to school this young lad on the appropriate way to go about issues like this in the future.so pls this is an opportunity to teach Nigerians. Do the needful

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by rman: 5:54am On May 31, 2016
Jalinco:
You have KIK apps on your phone, yahoo boys use KIK apps for their jobs, you live in Omu Aran you claim you chat with a female friend in Los Angeles. With your necklace, chain or whatever , sorry you are not far from being a yahoo boy.
Sorry I donbilifyu

Police are criminals and their ways are not pure but OP owns story and profile fits that of a yahoo boy...he also claims he is an importer, importer of what? He left that out in his story.....

OP may not be a yahoo boy but , his profile is sooo close to one

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by 1kinggy(m): 5:56am On May 31, 2016
Tundeiab:
Hmmm

That's the new change we are experiencing o.

Human rights are no longer respected!!!

They have a mentor in Buhari.

SARS guys have been rogues since inception, ask their police mates.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by mfm04622: 6:00am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:

If you got the name of any of them, very good. Even if you don't have the name, if you can recognise any of them, still good. The Nigerian Police have means of receiving complaints about such behaviour. They have email, twitter and such. Please report them. They should pay for that mental torture they put you through because of 2k. Please don't leave them for God. God will not do what we can do for ourselves

2 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Remii(m): 6:00am On May 31, 2016
Tundeiab:
Hmmm

That's the new change we are experiencing o.

Human rights are no longer respected!!!

They have a mentor in Buhari.
are you new to Nigeria police or just been political? Many are dead or imprisoned for nothing, it's called police brutality and it's been with us since imo river
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by loomer: 6:05am On May 31, 2016
I been think say corruption don run leave naija
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by lastpage: 6:07am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:

Sorry for your experience! I did not think its necessary for me to quote everything.

Now, l often think we Nigerians make ourselves "sitting ducks" for these criminals in Uniform.

Nigerians of all ages, need to start "acting smartly" in such situation
(I am not saying we re foolish, but we need to DO MORE)

The deed has been done to you. You have been harassed, embarrassed, humiliated and fleeced of money!

Thank god your Brother was with you because it could have been worse if you were alone or it happened in a "dangerously isolated" location along the Express Way.

I guess, if you have the Power, you will like those SARS Criminals to be brought to JUSTICE and pay for what they did to you?
This is where being pro-active, comes-in.

Your Dad knew what was going-on.
I would expect he would come there armed with a "Recording Device" (even if it was his phone) and secretly record them and they were "negotiating for settlement".
Since there is a threat to the life of his son, l would expect he has no-option than to pay-up (like Kidnappers).

Now, after securing your safety, ...and this is where most Nigerians fall-my-hand.... I would expect he would take the NEXT STEPS to ensure that those who did this to his son, dont have the opportunity to do ti to someone's else son.
I would expect he would then Petition the State Commissioner or the I.G.P (if they are Federal SARS)...and if he does not get redress, he takes the matter to court, afterall, he has indisputable evidence to back it up.

But what happens, everyone in Nigeria laments the state of things but no-one want to take any concrete action to CHANGE things.
We blame the Govt but we dont play our own part, to make things better.

This is why l said we need to start acting smarter!

In this day and age of Technology where even the Cheapest phone can boast of a video Camera, there should be no need for arguments at all.
Imagine that even Agencies like the EFCC still arguing over "He chew his statement Paper" (Respects to Olisah Metuh! grin )....when they could have had a video evidence of all that happened during investigations!

You cant enter any "Law Agency" in the US or Europe without being covered by at least One camera.
Even officers on patrol are now being mandated to wear head cameras.... to avoid arguments, so what about we the citizens?

Anyway sha, lesson learned.
next time, dont let them get away with it so easily.
angry angry

Lastpage!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Cornerstone001: 6:14am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:

My dad won't want to follow it to that extent, he even told me to stop crying that it's how its written for me today.
cheesy cheesy grin
Oh boy, since your old man has decided to give the goats an upper hand, better let bye gone be bye gone
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Flashtool(m): 6:16am On May 31, 2016
merits:
Stop be a gamer,be a farmer

Be a farmer and produce food for the Nation

Tomatoes cost ooooo,invest in tomatoes today and see yourself as a millionaire tomorrow

See my tractor pix below,on my way to the farm.

Kindly hit like if you support my idea.

They would have still looked for a way. The next thing you would have heard was “weed planter"
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by tunji2003(m): 6:20am On May 31, 2016
I was nearly arrested on the same spot last week while coming from offa, the officer almost seized my lappy after all the interrogations I told him am working in omu-aran INfact he can't even open the lappy. something has to be done. there behaviour is unproffesional.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by manmade(m): 6:28am On May 31, 2016
since primary school days, they made us Knw through a popular song that we should not say YES when we meant to say No
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 6:34am On May 31, 2016
You were arrested cos you KIK So the economic meltdown is real. Thought these SARS people are credible

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 6:38am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:

I just thank God I wasn't traveling alone, they collect my phone I can't call anyone, my brother called my dad which he came to my rescue, I even hide my biz from my parent for years but decided to open up just last year.

My brother, sorry about that, I Guess the men saw how young, ignorant and inexperienced you were and decided to play on you... Sorry about that...
The said man has no right to have scrolled through your fones he had no right... U succumb d so easily, standing upright, arguing with confidence throws police men off balance...

I had a situation when some group of police men stopped me to check my vehicle papers, after checking , started demanding for cash, as my vehicle hadn't an engine number... We were talking about that, suddenly he had collected my note tab from me, and wanted flipping through.... Immediately I dragged it out of his hands and warning d him never to try that nonsense, as he doesn't have the right or whatsoever to visit my private properties...... And he started talking all the gabberish in his mouth... Finally he parted with the 500 box I gave him, and left...

Police are quick to intimidate the young, when the know u ignorant ... Its all a lesson. Sorry

If u had known the police mans name , and or force number, I'll say u go to police complaint unit, call their number, or send WhatsApp message, or twitter messages, they will respond to you..
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by summerflame(m): 6:41am On May 31, 2016
I regret being a Nigerian most times.
Seems like it is a curse country with the negativity of the uniformed armed robbers (police)

1 Like

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by creepsyme(f): 6:41am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:

soorry abt dat, but pls stop dressing like a yahoo boy. ppple address u d way u r dressed.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by morax101(m): 6:45am On May 31, 2016
Let me just say this; that's how they do in Ilorin especially around that airport, after eyenkorin... alwys do the needful before leaving home, Even if you have a business convo with a friend and it involves money,make sure you end the chat
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Osama10(m): 6:45am On May 31, 2016
banmee:
Oh sweet memories. I remember once when i was stopped by a policeman at a check point and after checking my papers, they demanded egunje. I refused. Since they saw that i was not going to comply they demanded to do a thorough check of my vehicle and person. I did not object, especially since i noticed they had been drinking and had riffles on them. After looking through my wallet, they saw a credit card and automatically labeled me a yahoo guy. They said i had to cough out 50k else i would spend the night in detention. I said no problem. I asked if it was possible to call someone to bring the money for me and they said yes. I promptly called the U.S consulate and they sent a representative down to the check point to see what was going on. The funny thing was the policemen didn't understand who they were and tried to arrest them for having illegal plates. So funny. After grasping the situation, come see begging. God, i felt so good. From being called yahoo boy they started begging on their knees calling me "oga". Nigeria is so phucked.

I tell you.

Sometimes I try to imagine how bad things would be like in 10 to 20 years time.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by summerflame(m): 6:46am On May 31, 2016
I don't really pity police if they get killed by armed robbers, it's just like brothers killing brothers.... Karma will meet up with those police someday
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by archdon: 6:48am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:

Never unlock ur fone or ur laptop to a police officer without a warrant, except of course he has a gun to ur head, tell them it's a privacy concern, as a citizen u hv a right to privacy

U let the police officer violate ur privacy and then victimise u, u're an undergraduate u should kw better, without an extenuating circumstance he can't search ur private property, would u let a police officer search ur apartment without a warrant?

Note there is difference between search and check

Another mistake u made was coming down to their level, never stop speaking big grammar it intimidates them and even though u are going to call ur dad tell them u're calling ur lawyer dat scares the sh*t out of them. And after the call don't talk to them anymore u'll see how scared they'll be not knowing the kind of lawyer dat is coming

2 Likes

Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by SycophanticGoat: 6:51am On May 31, 2016
Samtoby:

OP you messed up big time! By first asking them how much you'll pay them to free you made you actually appear as a yahoo boy. You don't go about asking a useless dumb SARS/police officer how much you'll pay them to let you off a crime you didn't commit. As far as I'm concerned, that guy might have recorded you asking to bribe him and might be used against you in the court of law.

Simply, you should've remained quiet and your dad should've come ready to threaten them with legal action. Don't mess up next time bro. undecided
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by kentus123: 6:51am On May 31, 2016
bro sorry for your unfortunate experience. you did not comprehend a term used. *Gameboy* connotes evil in Nigeria parlance. IT could mean Cultists, Scammers/ swindlers.
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 6:54am On May 31, 2016
gwmlogistic:

Then tomorrow same would be done to your brother or friend. If only would stand up to fight injustice. As much as people say Nigeria is bad and nothing works, u wld be surprised that something's actually work. U are a grown man and do not need your dad's consent to correct the injustice. Anyway it's just my opinion. To be sure that I know what I am typing about. The leader is an elderly man with tribal marks, the one that was most annoying is a tall black guy with klegs. And another short fair guy that seems more reasonable. U don't know the kind of joy u wld feel when u watch the CP disarm them and order that they should be locked up.
did you write a petition and took it to CP or you complained verbally?
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 6:55am On May 31, 2016
Julianyao:
Had similar experience while in Kwara about a year ago. I had the power to get them sacked but had to let it go.
u cnt sack a police officer Ogah, he cn only be purnishd like demoted etc, when the offence is very severe he'l b court marshaled and demised
Re: SARS officers Arrested Me For having A Social Media (kik) App On My Smartphone by Nobody: 6:57am On May 31, 2016
kendiddy:
u cnt sack a police officer Ogah, he cn only be purnishd like demoted etc, when the offence is very severe he'l b court marshaled and demised
Dismissed is the apt word I intended to use.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Unlock Your Iphone 4/5/5C And 5S Permanently / Glo Introduces New Improved Data Plan / Remember This? First generation SIM packs (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.