Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,702 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed (7221 Views)

Ogoni Clean-Up Will Take 30 Years To Complete / Buhari Will Be In Rivers Today For Ogoni Clean-Up / Pictures Of Ogoni Clean-up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by simtosul: 4:42am On Jun 01, 2016
As President Muhammadu Buhari flags off the cleanup of the Niger Delta on Thursday (tomorrow), beginning from Ogoniland in Rivers State, the Federal Government has assured Nigerians that the exercise will not stop until it is completed.

It stated that it had put in place adequate measures that would ensure the sustenance of the clean-up exercise in the region and urged residents of the affected areas to support the government as the programme begins.

The Minister of Environment, Mrs. Amina Mohammed, who disclosed this on Tuesday, observed that aside the fact that there was already a $1bn commitment for the programme, some other government agencies and international oil companies would be involved in providing funds for the cleaning of the Niger Delta.

Mohammed spoke during a live television programme monitored by our correspondent in Abuja.

Asked to explain how the government intends to continuously provide funds for the sustenance of the clean-up exercise which, according to experts, would last for several years, the minister replied, “I doubt that the work will stop. I think first and foremost, the ‘Polluter Pays’ principle is up and doing and oil companies are paying for what they do.

“In this particular case, there’s been a commitment of $1bn and the governance structure that we are putting in place involves the governing council, which will determine the programme and how the road map is being implemented. But then, there is also a board of trustees where a trust fund for that money will be put and we hope to have fund managers who can begin to leverage that.

“Investors in the Niger Delta abound by a number of agencies. The Ministry of Niger Delta has a budget and they are part of this. Therefore, we look forward to ensure that we are working in the same direction. And aside from cleaning up the area, we will be looking at making it economically buoyant through diversification.”

Mohammed urged residents of the Niger Delta to show interest in the exercise, stressing that the President would be there in person to start the cleanup programme.

She said, “We can clean up the polluted fish ponds and the soil in Ogoni, but we’ve got to have buy-ins from the community to want to protect their environment and to see good things come out of it. Ogoniland is going to be our starting point, but the rest of the Niger Delta is also polluted in heavy ways, perhaps even more than Ogoniland.”

On responses gotten from the affected communities as regards the clean-up exercise, Mohammed said, “Everybody believes in President Buhari. The integrity of our President is what people believe in and they hope that something can happen. But right now, I’m particular about sustainability. However, the launch is incredibly important. It is historic and it tells the struggle, but what is more important is what comes after.”

Speaking further on plans by the ministry to access funds to address other environmental challenges across the country, the minister said the Nigerian government would tap from the resources that were made available during the recent Paris Agreement.

www.punchng.com/lack-funds-wont-stop-ogoni-clean-fg/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by ironheart(m): 4:53am On Jun 01, 2016
Finally
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by babagydoz(m): 6:08am On Jun 01, 2016
Very soon we will hear another version

5 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by bender79: 6:15am On Jun 01, 2016
babagydoz:
Bad Belle

33 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by FolabiCash: 6:19am On Jun 01, 2016
Great move that must be lauded

5 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by ORACLE1975(m): 6:37am On Jun 01, 2016
Better

1 Like

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Harmored(m): 8:10am On Jun 01, 2016
undecided
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by massinola(m): 8:11am On Jun 01, 2016
please Mr president send your people make them come probe and clean my neighbour's kitchen. I can't bear it any longer. what she did today is stinginess by trick. how can she do this

6 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by aminho(m): 8:11am On Jun 01, 2016
I will be in rivers too lets meet up guys
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by moshmusth(m): 8:13am On Jun 01, 2016
A man should stand and die by his words... in other to take the FG as a govt for all they must do as they said irrespective of anything

3 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Funjosh(m): 8:13am On Jun 01, 2016
Who will clean up the one The avenger are spilling now
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Exponental(m): 8:15am On Jun 01, 2016
Do you plan using the APC brooms?
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:16am On Jun 01, 2016
babagydoz:
What version did Jonathan give for the over five years he was President?

26 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by mccoy47(m): 8:17am On Jun 01, 2016
And the ineffectual buffon let vultures take over HYPREP! What ogogoro can cause!
GEJ deserves to be booted out again and again!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Dom2020: 8:18am On Jun 01, 2016
I think it's time this Government do something useful for Nigeria
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by greatness22(m): 8:20am On Jun 01, 2016
Hmmm, APC and lies are like the Psquare, they're inseparable.

**zombies, before you quote me, want to wish you guys happy new month**

3 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Bgorgeous: 8:21am On Jun 01, 2016
From your mouth to God's ear ma, because this pple has seen 99, poverty, sickness , lack etc

1 Like

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by danehijan: 8:21am On Jun 01, 2016
Clean up can be carried out for free without any paymemt. Nigeria has the expert to do that.
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by simpleseyi: 8:23am On Jun 01, 2016
Assuming that I am an Ogoni or Ijaw man (God forbid), I will never step on, work in or have anything to do in any section of our land that is cleaned by a Fulani man. What an insult, if my brother, our great hero Chief (Dr) Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, the Jesus of our time cannot clean our land for good bad years that he was president, then I will remain in my oil polluted land and continue to live in filth and dirt rather than for an illiterate Fulani man to clean my polluted land. May God not let us eat from our enemies. That is how a true son of his father will behave. But, is there any true son of the father in Ogoni/Ijaw land, I seriously doubt it.

15 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Flexherbal(m): 8:30am On Jun 01, 2016
Ok.
It's been long overdue.
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 01, 2016
Flexherbal:
Ok.
It's been long overdue.
yea..for almost 6 yrs of GEJ's rule.really long overdue ..but never late than ever..thumbs up for buhari

1 Like

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Trustyd1(m): 8:37am On Jun 01, 2016
Let me check if it's not lie, sorry Lai Mohammed talking
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Osezua: 8:41am On Jun 01, 2016
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Ignatiusprince(m): 8:45am On Jun 01, 2016
K
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by MrCow(m): 8:53am On Jun 01, 2016
choi

na by force.. something is fishy
Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by Inspectahdeck(m): 8:56am On Jun 01, 2016
A government that knows what they are doing.

The same brother of the ss during the last 5 years of surplus did nothing to help his people and their environment, He only enriched a few.

The musa yaraduwa airport at bayelsa is covered with grass because their hero neglected such important and economic beneficial project. To mention a few

Too bad at the way we think in this country.

5 Likes

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by homosapien(m): 8:56am On Jun 01, 2016
danehijan:
Clean up can be carried out for free without any paymemt. Nigeria has the expert to do that.

Why didn't the Nigeria expert volunteer to clean up ogoni all this years

1 Like

Re: Lack Of Funds Won’t Stop Ogoni Clean-up - Amina Mohammed by lightheart(m): 9:01am On Jun 01, 2016
*in Flavour's voice* Finally oooo....its about to go down
*in Sarkodie's voice* you know say money no be problem

cool
Sai Baba....Daalu Nigeria!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra: Kanu Blows Hot In Fresh Interview, Blasts Jonathan, Yorubas / Anambra Decides: APC And PDP Create Campaign Councils / 6 Weeks After Senators Yet To Keep Promise Of Donating Salary To Kaduna Bomb Vic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.