Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,136 members, 7,829,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? (7106 Views)

Advice: Marriage, Relationship, Friendship-friendzoned And Co-habitation Issues / Co-habitation / Co Habitation Vs Dating Married Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by ammamat(f): 11:51am On Aug 24, 2009
Ladies and guys in the house plz how bad is co-habitation, I know is not acceptable in the christiandom.
Plz i wnat to know the implication of it, \
Thanks
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by debest1(m): 11:57am On Aug 24, 2009
personally, its a no no
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Ben13: 12:00pm On Aug 24, 2009
not good.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by IFELEKE(m): 12:12pm On Aug 24, 2009
Not good at all.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by kokoA(m): 12:15pm On Aug 24, 2009
What is co-habitation
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Nevillexus: 12:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
I wouldn,t do it with a girlfriend  but i could try it with a fiancee.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
Why not?
How else do you intend to live with the person for the rest of your life if you do not have a real taste of what it is like to live with him/her before you get married?
SHEESH
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Nevillexus: 12:24pm On Aug 24, 2009
KokoA,
               Co-habitation is to live together in a sexual relationship, especially when not legally married.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:30pm On Aug 24, 2009
If the bond is strong enough to keep you both in it when the going is rough and you are not legally bound to stay with each other (marriage) then you know for sure you can tolerate her when more challenging thins come your way.
Unless of course you prefer to become a serial divorcee, I see no harm in it.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 24, 2009
Co-Habitation degrades a woman's dignity and self- esteem,

What if after all the "work", you do not end up together,

I think cohabitation is for the selfish ones, those who want to eat their cake and have it.

If not, just get married, Gbam!
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by digerati(m): 12:41pm On Aug 24, 2009
Let's see it from other perspectives:

Co-habitation gives the Man the 'Full services of a wife' free of charge.  Services that naturally should have been bought by legally recognised commitment - Marriage.  Tell me why, he should pay later for something he's been getting free.

The excuse usually is "we want to try things out first, then if it works we commit".  My question now is what happens if things don't work?

When you eventually get over your pain and get into another one
1. Would you be free to let your boyfriend know the extent you went with your previous one?
2. Would you cohabit again?  If yes, how many times?

Don't mean to be tough dearie, but you've got to think things through before you make your move.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by amyliajane(f): 1:03pm On Aug 24, 2009
degarati, u r very right, reduces self worth and its a no no.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by remoranger(m): 1:09pm On Aug 24, 2009
Its okay.

Saves the cost of marriage and troublesome inlaws grin grin grin
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
new arriva:

Co-Habitation degrades a woman's dignity and self- esteem,

What if after all the "work", you do not end up together,

I think cohabitation is for the selfish ones, those who want to eat their cake and have it.

If not, just get married, Gbam!
The above I must say is a good reason for so many failed marriages.
Your argument above would be a lot more valid if all marriages worked, the alternative of a failed marriage should be a lot more scary than that of a failed co habitation. Human beings change over time, the more comfortable we get the more we show our real selves. What does co habitation have to do with a woman's dignity? What is the dignity of a woman? How does it degrade a woman's self esteem?
digerati:

Let's see it from other perspectives:

Co-habitation gives the Man the 'Full services of a wife' free of charge.  Services that naturally should have been bought by legally recognised commitment - Marriage.  Tell me why, he should pay later for something he's been getting free.

The excuse usually is "we want to try things out first, then if it works we commit".  My question now is what happens if things don't work?

When you eventually get over your pain and get into another one
1. Would you be free to let your boyfriend know the extent you went with your previous one?
2. Would you cohabit again?  If yes, how many times?

Don't mean to be tough dearie, but you've got to think things through before you make your move.

First off what does full services of a wife free of charge mean? Your argument assumes it is the man who gains from co habitation, what happens if things do not work? You guys move on with your lives without giving drama to kids, without having to pay expensive law suits, look at all the advantages, it makes you the woman realise that she has to be independent and have a means of fending for herself and loads more.
To answer your first question, If your new boyfriend has a problem with you having shared yourself with someone else before then he is insecure and does not even deserve to be called boyfriend talk less of being thought of as a fiancee
Secondly you can obviously try again, having had loads of experience of what men or women are like, instead of binding yourself in a marriage.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by oge4real(f): 1:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
It is a wrong approach to relationship, also frowned upon by God.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:28pm On Aug 24, 2009
oge4real:

It is a wrong approach to relationship, also frowned upon by God.
yeah except God is not there when you find out your husband drinks to stupor whenever he has challenges and beats you black and blue no?
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by AIRMARSHA: 1:29pm On Aug 24, 2009
they have said it all.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by ucnduka(f): 1:43pm On Aug 24, 2009
According to a research,couples that co-habit before marriage have twice the risk of being divorced than does who did not.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Nautillus(m): 1:44pm On Aug 24, 2009
4 me oh . . i think its not that bad shaa
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:45pm On Aug 24, 2009
uc nduka:

According to a research,couples that co-habit before marriage have twice the risk of being divorced than does who did not.
Spurious claims, who conducted the research, your village elders?
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by kokoA(m): 1:48pm On Aug 24, 2009
uc nduka:

Which research? By who? Tell us now and give us the link to the findings.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 24, 2009
Co-habitation is unacceptable for the following reasons:-

Inherent lack of security for  the partners and the children because of the open-ended nature of the relationship.

The absence of a contractual relationship where the rights and responsibilities of the parties are spelt or implied out increases the risk of misunderstanding and hinders external mediation efforts when things go wrong.

It is against the commandments of God
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by debest1(m): 1:53pm On Aug 24, 2009
kokoA:

Which research? By who? Tell us now and give us the link to the findings.

In a 2007 edition of the New Oxford Review, Dr. A. Patrick Schneider II, who holds boards in family and geriatric medicine and runs a private practice in Lexington, Kentucky, did a statistical analysis of cohabitation in America, based on the findings of a number of academic resources. Here are five conclusions Schneider draws from his studies:

Relationships are unstable in cohabitation. One-sixth of cohabiting couples stay together for only three years; one in ten survives five or more years.

Cohabiting women often end up with the responsibilities of marriage—particularly when it comes to caring for children—without the legal protection. Research has also found that cohabiting women contribute more than 70 percent of the relationship's income.

Cohabitation brings a greater risk of sexually transmitted diseases, because cohabiting men are four times more likely to be unfaithful than husbands.

Poverty rates are higher among cohabitors. Those who share a home but never marry have 78 percent less wealth than the continuously married.

Those who suffer most from cohabitation are the children. The poverty rate among children of cohabiting couples is fivefold greater than the rate among children in married-couple households. Children ages 12–17 with cohabiting parents are six times more likely to exhibit emotional and behavioral problems and 122 percent more likely to be expelled from school.

Brian Lowery, associate editor, PreachingToday.com; source: A. Patrick Schneider II, "Cohabitation is bad for men, worse for women, and horrible for children," www.lifesite.net (10-4-07), reprinted from an original article in the New Oxford Review
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by kokoA(m): 1:59pm On Aug 24, 2009
Sleeping over for a night or two is not co-habitation abi? Thank God oh grin
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by ThoniaSlim(f): 2:13pm On Aug 24, 2009
Going for weekends and all that fine. . .but moving into his house. . .nah!
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Ben13: 2:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
hehehehe. . .case dismissed.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by digerati(m): 2:27pm On Aug 24, 2009
@Chrisbenogor: Your view on the subject matter (marriage) is scary. You definitely are entitled to your opinnion, maybe you've had a raw deal or two. I believe that is a pretty skewed perspective and very far from what marriage was intended to be.

Besides, a few bad examples does not justify throwing the baby out with the bath water. Look around, I'm sure there would be at least one family (you may call them old fashioned, but they are healthy and form great backgrounds for future generations) that works. Note: they are not perfect, they've got their issues but they make things work.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by djayxpro: 2:41pm On Aug 24, 2009
to me co-habitation is not acceptable! like someone said it is getting a wife or a husband free.eeeeee! as in moneyless and without stress whoever goes into it, has a lot to think about cuz NO privacy! as in no secrets! your gist fit full street!
THINK AM.
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:50pm On Aug 24, 2009
digerati:

@Chrisbenogor:  Your view on the subject matter (marriage) is scary.  You definitely are entitled to your opinnion, maybe you've had a raw deal or two.  I believe that is a pretty skewed perspective and very far from what marriage was intended to be.  

Besides, a few bad examples does not justify throwing the baby out with the bath water.  Look around, I'm sure there would be at least one family (you may call them old fashioned, but they are healthy and form great backgrounds for future generations) that works.  Note: they are not perfect, they've got their issues but they make things work.
Yes I know it sounds scary to those who believe in fairy tales, but to people who want to be in touch with reality, that is a sure way to test. You can try it the fairy tale way and be lucky, but look around you how many of these fairy tale marriages really hold up? All I am saying is that it pays to know who you want to stick together all your life a bit better than fun weekend trips, how about the bad times how do you deal with those?
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by ayobase(m): 3:10pm On Aug 24, 2009
Hope u read the implicationS given by debest1?

But, remember that God is against it!
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Nezan(m): 3:13pm On Aug 24, 2009
Co-habitation is sin!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:16pm On Aug 24, 2009
ayobase:

Hope u read the implicationS given by debest1?

But, remember that God is against it!

Assuming you are referring to me, what are the parameters of the research? which control measures were in place? why would the US be a yardstick for marriage around the world?
As for God, only a petty small minded God would mind if I had sex with a girl I was in love with especially if he put the desires in me first, just like I have no other option but to breath  grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

(viewers Discretion) Be Sincere, Can You Marry Her? / The Way This Lady Dressed To A Party Will Make You drool - Photos / Wtf? Whose Brother And Sister Are These? 2 Adults Share There Sex Photos (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.