Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Relationship Or Situationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Relationship Or Situationship? (658 Views)

Ever Been In A Relationship Or Work Under A Perfectionist? Share Your Experience / Even Your Boo Has A Boo: Are You In A Relationship Or A Situationship? / 15 Signs You Are Actually In A ‘situationship’ With A Nigerian Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Relationship Or Situationship? by mrofficial(m): 11:09am On Jun 07, 2016

Hello there, so this is my official first post on the blog. For those of you that know me well from the previous blog know we are in for a joy ride. After the struggle of medical school and changing status from student to unemployed I figured I should go back to my first love which is writing. The past few weeks for me has been a time of reflecting and transformation. I changed my perspective on so many things about life, it was amazing. truly the only thing constant in this life is actually change!

So, I and a girlfriend of mine got talking last week about certain issues and I got inspired to write about it. It was about losing ones self in the process of being with someone for a long time and the toll it can take on your self-confidence and mental health. Yes, I said mental health. Some of y’all are probably asking yourselves, Is it that deep? It actually is. Serious relationships in these times is for those who are mentally and emotionally sound, the resilient and the mature; and when I talk about mature it has more to do with experience than age.

It’s 2016 and there is a lot going on with social media, standards of beauty, side chicks and side dudes, the constant hype of being cold and heartless and rants about how everyone is replaceable, cutting people off is trending and we can go on and on. Now, in the middle of all this craziness there you are trying to hold on to this special bond you share with someone but at the same time refusing to be the object of ridicule in these times. The pressure to have your life together or at least appear to, the unspoken competition you put yourself into with your fellow girls or guys and even other couples could really take its toll on your relationship. I’m here to tell you to breathe. Yes darling, take a deep breath and think about this.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about relationships its that everything in this life is in turns. There might be a point where you feel smaller than your partner because you have let all these standards get to you and its the other way round in some cases. Simple things like them telling you they are going out with friends or something as trivial he sound of their cellphone ringing or a text coming in could bring you close to a nervous breakdown or the attention they get from the opposite sex could put you in a frenzy. There are times you feel like you’re not good enough when you see that rich guy pull up in his Benz to say hello to your girl. You see the Lagos big girls in their rides and their flawless light skin and you wonder how your partner resists all that on a daily. You look around you and everyone is winning in life and somehow it excludes you. Most people get it wrong here, instead of them to look inward and see a way to solve the problem so they can go back to feeling equal with their partners again, they take it all out on them and begin to exhibit unhealthy behaviors like being overly suspicious, nagging, unnecessary outbursts, jealousy thinking they are right and failing to realize that they are simply allowing their insecurities to get the better of them. It gets ugly believe me.

What I advice people experiencing a down period in their relationships is to work on themselves. There were guys with Benz when that girl picked you, there where more beautiful and hotter girls when he saw something in you and decided to make you his lady. You shouldn’t allow this to shake you. For some reason, he’s paying attention to someone else but he still comes back home to you every day, doesn’t he? When he’s down, who does he call? When she gets that job or contract, who does she call first to celebrate with? Those are the things that matter, your partner knows what treasure he or she has in you, it is just human nature for us to forget to express it at times. If there’s something about yourself you think could be better it is that time to change it. I believe the key to a successful relationship is constantly reinventing yourself. It is a competitive world out there, but you don’t let life’s challenges and your insecurities destroy what took so long to build. Go for that training, invest in your skin, start that new business, always keep your partner thrilled with the things you can do with yourself. Talking to your partner about your feelings and insecurities also helps and more importantly talking to God. Don’t forget you are special and no one can take your place on this earth.

You know I’m awesome. Xoxo

Culled from: http://honeyricci.com/something-interesting-to-read/
Re: Relationship Or Situationship? by Strahovski1(m): 11:14am On Jun 07, 2016
Copy and Paste!

1 Like

Re: Relationship Or Situationship? by mrofficial(m): 12:17pm On Jun 07, 2016
Strahovski1:
Copy and Paste!

You have eyes but can't see. Only a dullardiᵰho will make such comment up there after reading the post. I'll take it that you didn't read it.

Go and sleep and stop making yourself a nuisance here.

(1) (Reply)

True And Hidden Reason Why Guys Or Ladies Cry During Their Wedding / Dickson Just Released / Lanicky Or Refiner Should Deserve Miss Nairaland What Do You Think Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.