Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,910 members, 7,828,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? (799 Views)

My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist / Musings As An Agnostic Deist / World's Newest Saint Emerges: Mother Theresa To Become Saint In September! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by ValentineMary(m): 11:40am On Jun 07, 2016
Lettrrs written by the catholic icon blessed Theresa of Calcutta has shown that she might have been agnostic.

In life, Mother Teresa was an icon — for
believers — of God's work on Earth. Her
ministry to the poor of Calcutta was a world-
renowned symbol of religious compassion.
She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
In a rare interview in 1986, Mother Teresa
told CBS News she had a calling, based on
unquestioned faith.
"They are all children of God, loved and
created by the same heart of God," she said.
But now, it has emerged that Mother Teresa
was so doubtful of her own faith that she
feared being a hypocrite, reports CBS News
correspondent Mark Phillips .
In a new book that compiles letters she
wrote to friends, superiors and confessors,
her doubts are obvious.
Shortly after beginning work in Calcutta's
slums, the spirit left Mother Teresa.
"Where is my faith?" she wrote. "Even deep
down… there is nothing but emptiness and
darkness... If there be God — please forgive
me."
Eight years later, she was still looking to
reclaim her lost faith.
"Such deep longing for God… Repulsed,
empty, no faith, no love, no zeal," she said.
As her fame increased, her faith refused to
return. Her smile, she said, was a mask.
"What do I labor for?" she asked in one
letter. "If there be no God, there can be no
soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You
also are not true."
"These are letters that were kept in the
archbishop's house," the Rev. Brian
Kolodiejchuk told Phillips .
The letters were gathered by Rev.
Kolodiejchuk, the priest who's making the
case to the Vatican for Mother Teresa's
proposed sainthood. He said her obvious
spiritual torment actually helps her case.
"Now we have this new understanding, this
new window into her interior life, and for
me this seems to be the most heroic," said
Rev. Kolodiejchuk.
According to her letters, Mother Teresa died
with her doubts. She had even stopped
praying, she once said.
The church decided to keep her letters,
even though one of her dying wishes was
that they be destroyed. Perhaps now we
know why.

www.cbsnews.com/news/letters-reveal-mother-teresas-secret/
Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by johnydon22(m): 4:37pm On Jun 07, 2016
wow this is an eye opener.. The letter sounded more like she was struggling to believe in God but deep within her she reason they actually might not be.

she was caught in dire conflict of Faith vs reason and doubt all her life, that is really a huge burden to bear.

I have always and always will be a fan of mother Theresa, have watched films about her and i enjoy her humble and peaceful philosophies.

- Her humanitarian works and compassion.

I only object her philosophy of adopting poverty, i think acquiring wealth will open a broader and better window for one who wants to help the poor.

She's a rare gem though, much respect!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by neocortex: 3:14am On Jun 08, 2016
Many so-called faith leaders may reveal similar inner struggles
if given the chance to express themselves without public backlash.
It is almost impossible for any sincere individual who have the
opportunity to interact with different segment of the society
to remain "faithful" because it doesn't just make sense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by JackBizzle: 5:01am On Jun 08, 2016
johnydon22:
wow this is an eye opener.. The letter sounded more like she was struggling to believe in God but deep within her she reason they actually might not be.

she was caught in dire conflict of Faith vs reason and doubt all her life, that is really a huge burden to bear.

I have always and always will be a fan of mother Theresa, have watched films about her and i enjoy her humble and peaceful philosophies.

- Her humanitarian works and compassion.

I only object her philosophy of adopting poverty, i think acquiring wealth will open a broader and better window for one who wants to help the poor.

She's a rare gem though, much respect!

Mother Theresa was an evil woman. Apparently, you need to do more reading on her.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by hahn(m): 6:56am On Jun 08, 2016
JackBizzle:

Mother Theresa was an evil woman. Apparently, you need to do more reading on her.

Yeah. I learnt about the REAL her from Christopher Hitchens. Johnnydon22, mother Theresa was another good Christian lie

2 Likes

Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by JackBizzle: 7:18am On Jun 08, 2016
hahn:

Yeah. I learnt about the REAL her from Christopher Hitchens. Johnnydon22, mother Theresa was another good Christian lie

Same here. Christopher hitchens savaged her
I went to do more research after listening to him.

Apparently, she loved human suffering. A sadist. There were many people in her charity homes that could have gotten better treatment but she let them suffer in the or conditions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by UyiIredia(m): 7:44am On Jun 08, 2016
JackBizzle:

She wasn't an evil woman. She was a good woman.
Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by ifenes(m): 7:58am On Jun 08, 2016
She doubted the existence of a god at the later part of her life. Reasons being,she saw so many unjust sufferings and pains then wondered if truly a loving god would let that happens. Think of it,of what importance would suffering be to a loving god? Why create so much pain when life could be made easy.

Theses were her thoughts and of course the Catholic church will cover it up in the interest of keeping the church afloat.

Was she agnostic? No! She probably was an atheist who only played by the book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by JackBizzle: 8:25am On Jun 08, 2016
UyiIredia:

She wasn't an evil woman. She was a good woman.

Long time, Uyi!

Mother Theresa was evil. Read up

--------------------'-----------------
Teresa’s free clinics provided care that was at best rudimentary and haphazard and at worst unsanitary and dangerous, despite the enormous amounts of donations she received. Multiple volunteers at Teresa’s clinics, such as Mary Loudon and Susan Shields, have testified to the inadequate care provided to the dying. Despite routinely receiving millions of dollars in donations, Teresa deliberately kept her clinics barren and austere, lacking all but the most rudimentary and haphazard care.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2008/05/mother-teresa/
Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by urahara(m): 8:32am On Jun 08, 2016
ValentineMary:
Lettrrs written by the catholic icon blessed Theresa of Calcutta has shown that she might have been agnostic.

www.cbsnews.com/news/letters-reveal-mother-teresas-secret/

This is an eye opener .

I think i have to do my research
Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by ValentineMary(m): 9:54am On Jun 08, 2016
urahara:

This is an eye opener .

I think i have to do my research
I have had the information for a while though just decided to share it. U can do more reserch, there are several proofs of her skepticism.
Re: Was Mother Theresa Agnostic? by Pdizzle(m): 5:11pm On Jun 08, 2016
Anyone who really thinks must have at one time or more doubt the existence of an all powerful supreme being. I think God should understand.

Like Al Pacino said in 'devil's advocate'; Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!

I still believe in him tho, but the rules are really set in the opposite.

(1) (Reply)

Your First Experiece: If You Have Attempted To Cast Out Demons Out Of A Person / 5 Pioneering Scientists Who Were Spiritual Mystics / Questions God-driven Christians Should Answer (post Your Questions Too)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.