Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Musings As An Agnostic Deist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Musings As An Agnostic Deist (7289 Views)

Atheist, Agnostic, Deist, And Theist. Basic Things In Understanding Them / My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist / I Am Now An Open Deist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 27, 2016
Ok, if you opened this thread I'm assuming you want to see what I'm on about, well this is just my 'journey' towards the truth/finding out what really is out there. I don't claim to have absolute knowledge and never have. Feel free to scrutinize and ask questions, and please use your head. Please. Thanks.

I'm going to be writing it as if I'm interviewing myself, so without further ado let's begin:

Do you believe in god?
Hmm, tricky question. It depends on whatyou call god. If you're referring to some telepathic sky daddy with human emotions like anger, jealousy, regret, and so on, I can tell you that I'm absolutely convinced that that thing doesn't exist. The word 'god' has been bastardized to a joke, so I try to distance myself from that word. There are, however, some things that I'd classify as 'god'.

Interesting. Things like what?
Well first off, the evolution theory makes perfect sense, and science has been able to date when it started. But how, remains a big question. There are so many different theories, I've read about 13. The modern abiogenesis theory refers to the synthesizing of living cells from chemicals, to put it simply. That sounds a bit sketchy to me. I feel that nature is, in a way alive. Mathematically, if humans (we) have free will, then nature does too. I think I'm going off point here. But let's just say I feel like there's an immaterial entity existing, and that nature/the universe is just an extension of that entity. I call it 'Primary Conciousness' like Dr. Edward Close. Its amazing to think that the mere act of watching a non living thing could alter the course of the universe (butterfly effect). Because quantum particles behave differently when they are observed and when they aren't. I'm ranting now. Lol. If I didn't make much sense to you watch this video to understand the experiment that was carried out. Its put in simple terms with a cartoon illustration to make it easy to understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1YqgPAtzho

So then, any thoughts as to why you reject traditional creation stories?
Haha grin . . . yeah. I think those things were cooked up by ancient people with a limited view and understanding of the universe. To say the least, its unlikely that the cause of the universe would come down to Earth to mould sand and breathe life into it. Earth. It sounds ridiculous. To put it in perspective, Earth, compared to the rest of the universe is like a grain of sand on a beach. Its highly unlikely that out of the billions of solar systems in the universe, he specifically chose ours, and then proceeded to choose Earth, out of all the planets, to send his only son to die to save us from him. Its quite amusing to think that grin You try saying that to yourself in a mirror and look at how crazy you sound if you really believe that.

Do you believe in an afterlife?
Once again, I don't know. But studies suggest that consciousness could be separate from the physical body. Although in basic biology we can liken the way the brain works to electric signals transmitted in transistor circuits, that speed isn't just fast enough to account for the speed of thought, among others. Computer models are many orders of magnitude slower than needed to account for the speed of thought. A Neurologist has calculated that if the brain was a standard serial or a parallel computer, it would take more time than the age of the universe to perform all the necessary calculations associated with just one perceptual event. But if the brain were a quantum computer, it would try out all the various possible combinations of data arrangement at once, and thus, unify its experience. So, in essence, the brain operates very similar to how science theorizes a quantum computer to work even though quantum computers do not yet exist. So, try to fit this in with what we learned about quantum particles and see where I'm getting at. That consciousness could be said to exist separately from the body. That would perfectly explain the strange phenomena observed in verified cases of 'reincarnation'.
Read more here: https://endgametime./the-awakening-quantum-mechanics-of-the-human-brain-and-consciousness/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGMzIRrtwg
Reincarnation video. The one about the hollywood extra and the pilot were the ones i found the most interesting.

A lot of Christians say the old testament is just a metaphorical book. That the main guidelines are found in the new testament. What do you think?
First off, its good to hear that some people are aware of that and are refusing the bloody, warmongering lifestyle of Yahweh. I wouldn't want to be around a person who followed that book word for word. In fact, anyone that tried that would be in jail. As for the new testament, the letters of Paul are trash. Most of them have been proven to be written in the medieval ages when the bible was being compiled. Apart from the analysis of the books, even the lingo used in the original text suggest a writing style of a more modern time than Paul. Is it any wonder why the Roman Catholic church destroyed all 'evidence' of the bible? What are they hiding? That aside, I kind of like that Jesus dude. Apart from the fact that he talks to trees and expects them to answer him grin among other crazy sh*t they claim he did, he has a very nice personality. As a humanist, he gives some good lifestyle examples. So apart from magic, if you being a Christian means you're trying to be like that guy then I have no problem with you. Remember I said APART FROM MAGIC. Please. The magic they claimed he performed is not real. 'Do not try this at home'. You cannot raise a dead body. Biologically it makes no sense. Stop asking church members to drink bleach. AND STOP BEING SO FUCKING ANNOYING. Get your sh*t out of politics. Get a noise permit for vigils, and the consent of the immediate neighborhood. Stop the 5am megaphone sh*t. Its annoying af. You should get what I mean.

So what is your moral framework? What do you live by?
As explained by PastorAIO , morality is a part of us, as with all other social animals. Ants don't have the fear of hell yet they coexist together. All social animals do whatever is best for the continuation of their species and the guidelines for that are found in the UN Human Rights declarations. Our morality evolves. Some things we perceive as moral are also unique to our society. In a gerontocratic society like Nigeria, respecting you elders is seen as normal. So 'when in Rome'. Don't break the law, and be a humanist. Look out for your fellow man.

So why do you call yourself a Deist?
Simply put, deism refers to a god that exists separate from this universe and doesn't directly interfere. If god interfered and you're thanking him for helping get to a meeting on time, or winning a football match, then I wonder what his priorities are when there are starving, dying people everywhere. Sometimes in my speech I tend to sound like an atheist, because I don't even think 'god' is demanding worship. If he was he'd have said so a long time ago. The god of most religions disappeared/went into hiding after the invention of the camera phone.

I've run out of questions to ask myself. Lol. You can ask me your questions and I'll answer with what I think. Peace.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by UyiIredia(m): 9:52am On Sep 27, 2016
So you believe in evolution. And I thought you were smart.

1 Like

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 27, 2016
UyiIredia:
You 'thought' I was smart? Do you know me? Or did you know me before? Please if you're here to display childishness then get out. Btw, you either accept, or reject evolution. You don't believe. Its staring at you in the face

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by UyiIredia(m): 10:03am On Sep 27, 2016
AnonyNymous:

You 'thought' I was smart? Do you know me? Or did you know me before? Please if you're here to display childishness then get out. Btw, you either accept, or reject evolution. You don't believe. Its staring at you in the face

Evolution staring at me in the face. Please. Decieve yourself. Don't try to decieve me biko.

1 Like

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 27, 2016
U are askin questions u created for ur taste and answering them. Whats d point here.
I thought u wanted to ask d christians questions. Or should i ask u

1 Like

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 27, 2016
Smallville10:
U are askin questions u created for ur taste and answering them. Whats d point here.
I thought u wanted to ask d christians questions. Or should i ask u
Can you read?
Do you know the meaning of the word 'musings'?
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 27, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Can you read?
Do you know the meaning of the word 'musings'?
ok keep musing to yourself there. Mtcheeeew
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by frubben(m): 5:55pm On Sep 27, 2016
Sir, in your answer you said why would God watch while people starve and are dying of sickness and he is doing nothing. Why blame God for the woes of his children. If he has given his children power to bring hope and his children are busing doing another thing, is he to b blame. Answer please
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 27, 2016
frubben:
Sir, in your answer you said why would God watch while people starve and are dying of sickness and he is doing nothing. Why blame God for the woes of his children. If he has given his children power to bring hope and his children are busing doing another thing, is he to b blame. Answer please
In that part, you should notice I said 'god's priorities'. Someone makes it to a meeting just in time, and they say "Thank god". So if you are trying to say god interfered and allowed you to be early by 1 second, why can't god interfere with something much more important? My POV is that any 'god' that exists does not interfere with the universe.

1 Like

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 27, 2016
Smallville10:
ok keep musing to yourself there. Mtcheeeew
Look how mature you are. You came into a thread, failed to read the title (and probably the content of the thread) and were looking for an argument instead. When I didn't provide you a mindless squabble as you expected, you threw a mini tantrum. If your mission on here is to promote your religion, then you should try to learn to behave yourself so you'll be taken seriously.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by ValentineMary(m): 6:27pm On Sep 27, 2016
UyiIredia:
What is ur grievance with evolution

1 Like

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by ValentineMary(m): 6:29pm On Sep 27, 2016
OP my qus would be on consciousness. As an atheist I feel it's an integral part of life modified by natural selection. Why do u think it exist outside the human physiology ?
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by frubben(m): 6:35pm On Sep 27, 2016
AnonyNymous:

In that part, you should notice I said 'god's priorities'. Someone makes it to a meeting just in time, and they say "Thank god". So if you are trying to say god interfered and allowed you to be early by 1 second, why can't god interfere with something much more important? My POV is that any 'god' that exists does not interfere with the universe.

You point is?
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by CoolUsername: 7:02pm On Sep 27, 2016
UyiIredia:

Evolution staring at me in the face. Please. Decieve yourself. Don't try to decieve me biko.

Next time you have malaria, just take penicillin.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by winner01(m): 7:13pm On Sep 27, 2016
I have 2 questions

1. What does it feel like to talk about God everyday of your life?.

2. Refer to picture below.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by UyiIredia(m): 7:34pm On Sep 27, 2016
CoolUsername:

Next time you have malaria, just take penicillin.
And how does that help your failed theory.

2 Likes

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by UyiIredia(m): 7:36pm On Sep 27, 2016
ValentineMary:
What is ur grievance with evolution
Why will anyone believe such a messed up 'theory'?
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 27, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Look how mature you are. You came into a thread, failed to read the title (and probably the content of the thread) and were looking for an argument instead. When I didn't provide you a mindless squabble as you expected, you threw a mini tantrum. If your mission on here is to promote your religion, then you should try to learn to behave yourself so you'll be taken seriously.
see ur sense... U are not even musing because if u were u wouldnt be tellin d whole world. And since u dont believe in God why bother
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by taurus25(m): 8:10pm On Sep 27, 2016
UyiIredia:

Why will anyone believe such a messed up 'theory'?
i know right grin .....the entire science community is just stvpid
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by UyiIredia(m): 8:13pm On Sep 27, 2016
taurus25:
As in ehn. So stupid. Darwin duped them big time.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by taurus25(m): 8:18pm On Sep 27, 2016
winner01:
I have 2 questions

wow...your obsession with atheism is strong. Read the post carefully again , the op does believe a god exists.

Im not the op but he did say he *did not know* if there is anything like an afterlife....
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by onetrack(m): 8:18pm On Sep 27, 2016
taurus25:

Tell me about it. Stupid vaccines and electricity and airplanes and computers and cell phones. There actually is no 'science' behind them, only very good juju.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by taurus25(m): 8:20pm On Sep 27, 2016
UyiIredia:

As in ehn. So stupid. Darwin duped them big time.
lol, its interesting how you missed the fact that my post was sarcastic grin

2 Likes

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 27, 2016
winner01:
I have 2 questions

What is your problem. Just what the f*ck is your problem?? If you even read my op you'd see how your questions don't make sense because they shouldn't be directed at me. Get the f*ck out if you have a mental problem

1 Like

Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2016
Smallville10:
see ur sense... U are not even musing because if u were u wouldnt be tellin d whole world. And since u dont believe in God why bother
Are you, sane? Normal? Did you read the op? My opening statement says that this directed at people who are interested in knowing. If you were not then why the f*ck did you open this thread?? You people have problems, honestly.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by onetrack(m): 8:24pm On Sep 27, 2016
AnonyNymous:
Ok, if you opened this thread I'm assuming you want to see what I'm on about, well this is just my 'journey' towards the truth/finding out what really is out there. I don't claim to have absolute knowledge and never have. Feel free to scrutinize and ask questions, and please use your head. Please. Thanks.

I am atheist but I have no issue with your belief system. Keep thinking, that's all we can do.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 27, 2016
frubben:

You point is?
I honestly thought you were interested and asking a genuine question. Turns out you're not. Either that or you don't know the meaning of POV. POV = Point of View. Thank you.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by taurus25(m): 8:29pm On Sep 27, 2016
onetrack:

Tell me about it. Stupid vaccines and electricity and airplanes and computers and cell phones. There actually is no 'science' behind them, only very good juju.
okay that definetely came out wrong....what i meant was that if (he ^) thought that evolution theory was a 'messed up' theory that no one should believe, then the entire science community which does accept the theory as the explanation of the diversity of species must all be stvpid to do so
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by CoolUsername: 8:33pm On Sep 27, 2016
UyiIredia:

And how does that help your failed theory.

The parasite continues to evolve an immunity to various medicines. Penicillin and quinine are almost useless against it these days.

You can deny evidence; it won't change a thing.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by onetrack(m): 8:36pm On Sep 27, 2016
taurus25:

okay that definetely came out wrong....what i meant was that if (he ^) thought that evolution theory was a 'messed up' theory that no one should believe, then the entire science community which does accept the theory as the explanation of the diversity of species must all be stvpid to do so

Ah ok I thought you were being sarcastic and I was just going along with it. wink
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 27, 2016
ValentineMary:
OP my qus would be on consciousness. As an atheist I feel it's an integral part of life modified by natural selection. Why do u think it exist outside the human physiology ?
Thank you for being the first person to come forward with something reasonable. First of all, I want to make you aware that new studies show that space is confined to three dimensions as proposed in classical Newtonian physics. Therefore it'll be unfair to completely analyses the relationship between consciousness and the brain based on only the physical brain which is a three dimensional object.
Now, the mode of operation of the brain when observed is exactly like the transistor circuits in a computer. But, when a parallel computer was constructed based on the observed format of the brains observation, it was far too slow to account for things like the speed of thought. It was on par with the brain with physical actions like reflexes, physical movement, and so on, but the time taken to calculate just one perceptual event would take more than the age of the universe!
There are scientifically verified OBE, such as these: http://www.newdualism.org/nde-papers/OBE-verifications.html and you can easily do a google search of the ones tested by actual scientists. A lot are fake, due to religious people misusuing this actual phenomenon to their advantage to claim they 'saw' this that validate their religion, but there are actual ones recorded in science journals. THIS would support the hypotheses that suggest that consciousness could account for the 'gap' in the human brain, and that it is a separate entity from the brain and not confined to the limits of Newtonian three dimensional space.
Re: Musings As An Agnostic Deist by winner01(m): 8:44pm On Sep 27, 2016
AnonyNymous:

What is your problem. Just what the f*ck is your problem?? If you even read my op you'd see how your questions don't make sense because they shouldn't be directed at me. Get the f*ck out if you have a mental problem
Are you offended by my questions? undecided

They are just harmless questions you know.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Complete Biography Of Saint Moses Orimolade Tunolase..the Founder: C&S / Your Thoughts On Objs New Church / 2 Thessalonians 2:3 Pretribulation Rapture Departure Or Apostasy From The Faith?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.