Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,243 members, 7,849,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:07 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (107) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (818456 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by harrisoft(m): 4:55pm On Oct 19, 2007
@wanajo

And all.

Pls can anybody give me a link to a site where i can see NSE daily stock prices.

showing P/close: open: high:low:close: volume: and Value.

thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 4:59pm On Oct 19, 2007
www.cashcraft.com

www.meristem.com.ng

click on the link showing today's prices.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:11pm On Oct 19, 2007
harrisoft:

@wanajo

And all.

Please can anybody give me a link to a site where i can see NSE daily stock prices.

showing P/close: open: high:low:close: volume: and Value.

thanks.

www.nsepro.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by harrisoft(m): 5:34pm On Oct 19, 2007
easimoni thank you.

Exactly what i need, it was a privilege to have you reply me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aquita(m): 6:11pm On Oct 19, 2007
@easimoni and the other gurus in nairaland,

you guys should be teaching us how to analyse companies (stocks). is better for u to teach a man how to fish intead of giving him fish all the time. regards. grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:25pm On Oct 19, 2007
aquita:

you guys should be teaching us how to analyse companies (stocks). is better for u to teach a man how to fish intead of giving him fish all the time. regards. grin grin grin

I joined this forum 5+ months ago. In that time frame, I have offered advice on the need for/how to calculate simple ratios to evaluate the relative value of stocks. Wanaj0, Frank, Temmie, Wendy and others have done the same. I know it's a long thread now sad, but there is a lot of good stuff and links to even better stuff buried in this thread. I'd love to go over it all again but I have a full-time job. sad Tell you what, go to stock market nigeria and sign up for that forum as well. You'll geta free e-book that summarizes fundamentals. Investopedia.com is a also a good resource.

Now I look for gist and gurus' opinions on specific stocks. grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2007
Oga Easimoni,
We appreciate ur input. No one can say you havent tried, AND you are right, it helps to do one's own research before making final decisions.
Meanwhile, I am here with a peculiar situation, My friend recommended me to a stockbroker here in NY, the outfit is called African Select ( Subsidiary of Cashcraft). My problem is that to open an account they have some abstruse terms and conditions that I have tried to understand to no avail. I have called the Stockbroker, emailed him, all that but no reply. The thing is beginning to look suspicious so I dont know if I should continue with account opening or not. I have uploaded the terms and conditions for anyone to peruse and give his/her analysis. If you see anything hidden please let us know because I know it is not just me worried about this,
Thanks Gurus

[b]To Cashcraft Asset Management Ltd.

I request and authorize you until I shall give notice in writing to the contrary, to honour all
requests for the purchase of shares or payment of monies from the said account whether such
request be written or oral and request and authorize you to debit such purchase or other orders
to the said account with you whether such account be for the time being in credit or
overdrawn or may become overdrawn in consequence of such debit in consideration of which
I agree:

(1)
To be responsible for the payment of any such overdrawn balance with interest
accruing thereon.
(2)
To assume full responsibility for the genuineness, correctness and validity of
all endorsements appearing on all cheques, orders, bills, notes, negotiable
instruments and receipts or other items, deposited in my account.
(3)
To hold you free from any responsibility for any loss or damage to funds
deposited with you due to any future Government order, law, levy, tax,
embargo, moratorium, exchange restriction or any other cause beyond your
control.
(4)
To accept as due notification any notice of change in conditions governing the
account directed to my last known address and to be bound by such change.
(5)
That any notice or letter addressed to me and sent through the post to the
address supplied by me shall be considered duly delivered to and received by
me at the time it would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.
(6)
That if a cheque credited to my account is returned unpaid; the same may be
transmitted to me through my last known address either by bearer or by post.
Additionally, I understand that my account may be debited with any charges,
as determined from time to time by you, related to the returned cheque.

(7)
That I note that Company will accept no liability whatsoever for funds handed
to members of its staff without a valid company receipt or outside the
company’s premises or outside business hours.
(cool
I understand and agree that you are under no obligation to honour any request
on this account unless there are sufficient funds in the account to cover the
value of the request and I understand and agree that any such requests or orders
may not be executed.
(9)
I understand that any sum outstanding on the account shall be liable to interest
charges at the rate fixed by the Company from time to time. You are authorized
to debit from the account your charges, interest, commissions, etc.
(10)
I agree that in addition to any general lien or similar right to which you as a
company may be entitled by law, you may, at any time and without notice to
me, combine or consolidate all or any of my accounts with and liabilities to
you and set off or transfer any sum or sums standing to due credit of any one or
more of such accounts or any other credit be it cash, cheques, valuables,
deposits, securities, negotiable instruments or other assets belonging to me
with you in or towards satisfaction of any of my liabilities to you or any other
account or in any other respect whether such liabilities be actual or contingent,
primary or collateral and several or joint.
(11)
I further understand that you shall not credit my account with the value of a
cheque lodged at any of your branches until after the requisite clearing period
in accordance with the rules of clearing in force at the time of lodging my said
cheque. Where, however, you discretionally allow my withdrawing against
uncleared cheques and the cheque is returned thereafter, you shall have a right
to hold on to the returned cheque and take further action you may deem
appropriate to recover the value of the cheque from me.
(12)
In the event of your providing funds to me before the sale of any shares which
you may from time to hold on my behalf I agree and
authorize you to sell such number of shares including but not limited to shares
I specifically authorize you to sell to recoup any money advanced to me
together with interest thereon already.
(13)
I request and authorize you that, until I shall give notice in writing to the
contrary, you at your discretion provide the counterpart funding for the
execution of my purchase orders PROVIDED ALWAYS that in the event of
your providing the counterpart funding for the execution of my purchase
orders, you are at liberty to dispose off the entire stock including the shares
bought with the fund I provide for the purpose of your recouping all monies
owing on my account not later than 30days after such transaction or such other
number of days as may be determined by the company provided further that
your right may not be prejudiced by whatever indulgence you may grant to me.

(14)
I agree, authorize and instruct you to provide up to 50% of the value of my
existing portfolio with you for the purpose of fresh stock purchases and
covenant with you that I shall repay the said sum together with interest and
other charges within 30 days or other number of days as may be determined by
the company after the date of completion. I hereby authorize you to sell such
number of my portfolio with you for the purpose of your recouping any money
owing to you on this account PROVIDED ALWAYS that your right of such
shall not be prejudiced by any indulgence granted me.
(15)
I understand and agree that, where the company has granted me a facility
against my stock holdings, the company could share information on my stock
holdings with their bankers or such other persons or bodies as may be
necessary to assist the company obtain refinancing where required by them.
(16)
Where in the Judgement of the company the value of collateral held against
outstandings on my account will fall below the outstandings, I authorize the
company to sell such collateral to recoup the understandings without waiting
for any agreed number of days within which the outstandings ought to be
repaid.
(17)
I understand and agree that the values of securities go up as well as down. I
also understand that past performance is not a guarantee of future performance
and that the value of my portfolio could go down and result in losses, even loss
of capital.
(18)
Where the company grants concessions on charges for either a buy or sell it is
understood that the company shall be given instructions for a sell or buy at a
later date. If the underlying securities were to be transferred to another house,
the company shall be at liberty to insist on a full recovery of the waiver earlier
granted on the original charges.
I request the opening of an account and confirm that the information I have given is true. I
agree to the terms and conditions for the operation of the account.

Signature & Date[/b]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 10:17pm On Oct 19, 2007
@ AQUITA  

your question indicate your willingness to learn , follow the resources that Easimoni posted. I was like you  a few months back,but i have learned so much ,the knowledge is translating to Cash money and unrealized gains presently. You will have to dedicate time and energy to study hard , you are abou to gain knowledge that will potentially change your life for the better.   However you will get an headstart if you go through this -

Important Ratios -

PRICE/ EARNINGS , PE ratio - PRICE divided by Earnings. This tells you how much you are getting for the price of the share. The lower the better, always compare the ratio with similar firms in the same industry and the industry average.

Earnings Per Share  , EPS - This is the share of the firm-s profit that corresponds to each unit of stock. The share of the cake , assuming the firm declares profit.

Dividend Per Share , DPS-  the share of the declared profit that will be returned to shareholders, because some part will be retained by the firm for future projects.

Dividend Yield - Dividend divided by the SharePrice .This gives the return in % .

There are a lots more ratios that helps in analysis of firms, you can start with these and read further. As little as this is i will tell you honestly this knowledge could be the difference .  In January this year, precisely 24/01 i bought OCEANIC bank based on the knowledge that  a low P/E gives you a good shot at buying the share at reasonable price and i sold it after it had returned 102%. That explains why i am posting this.  i hope you learn as fast as you can, It will make you money ,that is a certainty .if you learn fast and hard ,AND LIMIT YOUR MISTAKES ,and Dont stop learning !And Finally , ALWAYS read this pages !Goodluck
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 11:15pm On Oct 19, 2007
@ easimoni, how is work? havent seen u in a while on the thread grin.
BTW, has the 2nd season of heroes started in the H-town grin grin

anyway, i have been concerned about our crusader calculations, i hear they acquired some companies , that means we cant accurately ascertain the amount of shares they have.so our calculations are inconclusive. i know they are a top coy. but i think it might take longer before we can get appreciation out of it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:14am On Oct 20, 2007

tonyjon

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians
« #3404 on: Today at 05:49:00 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OGA PUMPING 777 YOU SOUND VERY INTERESTING.

PLEASE, I WILL LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT CASHCRAFT ASSET MANAGEMENT'S MUTUAL AND EQUITY BASED FUND. THE IPO IS CURRENTLY IN THE MARKET.

DO YOU THINK IS A VIABLE INVESTMENT?.

TONYJON.

DO YOU THINK 

Yes, it is a viable investment but I think you also want to know about the projected returns.

It is viable because cashcraft has a good track record when it comes to investing and I believe they can achieve the projections in the prospectus. The return on the funds ranges between 21 and 25% annually over the next 3 years. It is up to you if this rate of return is okay.

The returns minus any dividends will be re-invested so your investment will be compounded with the potential to grow even faster so if you are into the long term like 3 years and above you can do even better over time. If you like to play it safe then this can also be an option for you since you have others who should be experienced investing on your behalf.

Note: The fund may do better than the forecast which means even greater returns but I can't make any assumptions. Bear in mind that the portfolio of recommended stocks from Cashcraft for 2007 has done over 80% to date so they can do much better than 21 - 25% annually even after deducting the costs of managing the funds. If the market does very well the funds will should do very well too.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by netotse(m): 12:17am On Oct 20, 2007
@all quick question,
read in the papers that PHB shareholders want the coy to increase the PO from 100bn to 200bn, isnt that very stupid? because i dnt think they can pull a stunt like that(getting full subscription for 200bn)and since it has to be 80% underwritten so how does this affect things because i was thinking of picking up some shares on the sec market before the PO.

plus can one open cscs acc at cashcraft with 100k?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 12:24am On Oct 20, 2007
aquita:

Also try this it will bless you real good--------------->[url] http://www.proshareng.com/assets/user/pdf/l2e_a_fools_guide_to_investing.pdf[url]

Like a lot of folks have said there's no substitute for doing your own homework. There are also a lot of other online training slides on the proshareng.com website
happy investing
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:46am On Oct 20, 2007
netotse:

@all quick question,
read in the papers that PHB shareholders want the coy to increase the PO from 100bn to 200bn, isnt that very stupid? because i dnt think they can pull a stunt like that(getting full subscription for 200bn)and since it has to be 80% underwritten so how does this affect things because i was thinking of picking up some shares on the sec market before the PO.

plus can one open cscs acc at cashcraft for 100k?

I won't call it stupid so quickly. The plan is to cater for oversubscription if they go for 100B. In this case the maximum that can be raised is 125B. With the new plans even if they only get 150B this is more than they would have been able to raise. In this case, it will be undersubscribed but they are able to raise more.

I don't see a problem with the offer being underwritten up to 160B.

Platinum is already on TS and I don't see the guarantee the price will rise immediately after lifting the TS. In recent times, stocks are just not responding to this. Maybe maybe not. It's up to you, but I don't think an additional 100B added to the offer makes a difference right now. If the offer is undersubscribed it might affect investor sentiments but this won't be known till next year.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 12:54am On Oct 20, 2007
shigidi:

@ easimoni, how is work? havent seen u in a while on the thread grin.
BTW, has the 2nd season of heroes started in the H-town grin grin

anyway, i have been concerned about our crusader calculations, i hear they acquired some companies , that means we can't accurately ascertain the amount of shares they have.so our calculations are inconclusive. i know they are a top coy. but i think it might take longer before we can get appreciation out of it.

Work dey. Heroes is on episode 3 (or 4) am I'm luving it!

Crusader acquired 5 companies and wanaj covered them a few days ago but you can find the list on the SEC website under the mergers section. Those mergers (but one) were all consummated in over 8 months ago and no shares seem to have made it on the NSE. I think someone may have mentioned the new companies were paid for using warehoused shares (not sure how that works).

Our calculations are somewhat inconclusive but I will be SHOCKED if they list up to 1B additional shares. and I don't think an addtional B shares will be a major game-changer. If more? ? ? Anyway, we'll get the audited results in ~6 months and all will be clear. If it drops on Monday, I buying more.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 6:42am On Oct 20, 2007
@jehosaphat,

why not give VETIVA a short andd see what will happen not because am with them but i just want you to cathch inn on there services for Naija outside the shore
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 6:53am On Oct 20, 2007
@ ALL,

As i open my crystal ball i see before me full basket of EMERGING INSURANCE COYS WITH GOODIES!!!!!!!!!! So busy but am loving this thread Best OF NIGERIA NAIRALAND EXPO @ EXCELDOCKLAND IN LONDON today, anyshow 4 Yankee axis but guys come to think of this i found nothing from CANADA axis why was it only NAIJA, UK AND YANKEE dominated are setting the paste here? come on gurus all over the world show Ur face this is the emerging birth of naija gurus thread am loving it cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:10am On Oct 20, 2007
easimoni:

Crusader acquired 5 companies and wanaj covered them a few days ago but you can find the list on the SEC website under the mergers section. Those mergers (but one) were all consummated in over 8 months ago and no shares seem to have made it on the NSE. I think someone may have mentioned the new companies were paid for using warehoused shares (not sure how that works).

Our calculations are somewhat inconclusive but I will be SHOCKED if they list up to 1B additional shares. and I don't think an addtional B shares will be a major game-changer. If more? ? ? Anyway, we'll get the audited results in ~6 months and all will be clear. If it drops on Monday, I buying more.
I checked the SEC website and from my estimates there seems to be about 2.4B shares listed. If what you say about warehoused shares is correct they probably have used an investment vehicle(holding company) to build majority share holding in these companies and if they have built up i think 75 or 95% holding in any one company(not sure though) they are legally allowed to forcibly acquire the remaining shares and can take the company private if they so desire. I'm not saying this is the case though. The investment vehicle wil simply become a sizeable shareholder in crusader or if they exchanged one crusader share(warehoused shares) for x number of units of those companies(depends on share valuation) then you can be sure the number of shares listed will not make much difference to the bottomline
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:42am On Oct 20, 2007
easimoni:

More emerging facts on the mystery of these acquisitions by crusader
Apparently crusader aqcquired 4 of the companies under a scheme of arrangement

Royal Trust Assurance Ltd

Golden Insurance Company Ltd

Refuge Insurance Company Ltd

and Trust & Guarantee Insurance Company.

Crusader became a holding company Crusader Nigeria (Plc)(now the investment vehicle) with 2 wholly owned subsidiaries  Crusader Life Insurance(Nig) Ltd and Crusader General Insurance because ins coys are now legally required to split their businesses into two: life and general insurance. So those companies acquired would have been spun off as part of either the general or life insurance business with Crusader (Nig) Plc as the parent company which explains why you wont be able to ascertain the number of shares listed.
So the situation is you have Crusader (Nig) Plc with two wholly owned subsidiaries Crusader life and Crusader general and going forward the acquisitions will probably not make much dent to the shares outstanding

Not sure what happened to the fifth insurance company may be they havent come to an arrangement
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 1:27pm On Oct 20, 2007
Crusader became a holding company Crusader Nigeria (Plc)(now the investment vehicle) with 2 wholly owned subsidiaries Crusader Life Insurance(Nig) Ltd and Crusader General Insurance because ins coys are now legally required to split their businesses into two: life and general insurance. So those companies acquired would have been spun off as part of either the general or life insurance business with Crusader (Nig) Plc as the parent company which explains why you wont be able to ascertain the number of shares listed.
So the situation is you have Crusader (Nig) Plc with two wholly owned subsidiaries Crusader life and Crusader general and going forward the acquisitions will probably not make much dent to the shares outstanding

Not sure what happened to the fifth insurance company may be they havent come to an arrangement

SO LONG AS THESE EXTRA SHARE ACQUIRED DOES NOT ADVERSLY AFFECT THE COY I GO FOR IT. Children today will become elders tomorrow. Time will change things.
Any way of getting these valuable information early enough. Have a strong feeling people actually profit from this lack of information.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ladon(m): 2:59pm On Oct 20, 2007
GUYS SHOULD SHARPEN DRE EYES.THEY SHOULD NOT APPROACH THE JAPAUL DISCOUNT SIMPLY.REMEMBER IF U BUY AT THE PO AT N4 THE PROFIT IS PAPER PROFIT TILL U VERIFY OR U GET THE PO OFFER IN UR CSCS.ALSO D SUSPENSION WOULD BE LIFTED WELL BEFORE TAT TIME.D QUESTION IS CAN IT HOLD AND EVEN GO BEYOND THE N6 LEVEL 4 U TO GET UR MONEY.
PERSONALLY AM WEARY OF EXCESSIVE DISCOUNT, REMEMBER DUNLOP OFFER EARLY THIS YEAR ,ALMOST 100%,WHERE IS DUNLOP NOW.AND CCNN RECENTLY.
ALSO THE PO MONEY WOULD BE USE FOR PROJECT TAT WOULD BE COMPLETED ,THE LEAST BEING 2YRS.TAT MEANS THE PO MONEY MAY BE TURNING IN ANY PROFIT FOR THE COY TILL AFTER 2YRS.
SOME ONE IN ONE OF THE EARLIER THREAD ASK HOW INFLATION OR DEFLATION AFFECT SHARE PRICE.SIMPLY PUT IF DRE IS INFLATION SHARE PRICES INCREASES IF DRE IS DEFLATION SHARE PRISES DECREASES.IT WORKS DIS WAY BECAUSE IF DRE IS INFLATION THE COY INCREASES D PRICES OF GOODS AND SERVICES,TURN OVER OR PREMIUM ETC INCREASES,DIVEDEND INCREASES,OVER TIME SHARE PRICES INCREASES AND VIZ VERSA FOR DEFLATION
SO TAT IS WHY DEY SAY TO BEAT INFLATION HANDS DOWN INVEST IN SHARES, SHINE UR EYES[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 3:09pm On Oct 20, 2007
Geees:

Crusader became a holding company Crusader Nigeria (Plc)(now the investment vehicle) with 2 wholly owned subsidiaries Crusader Life Insurance(Nig) Ltd and Crusader General Insurance because ins coys are now legally required to split their businesses into two: life and general insurance. So those companies acquired would have been spun off as part of either the general or life insurance business with Crusader (Nig) Plc as the parent company which explains why you wont be able to ascertain the number of shares listed.

SO LONG AS THESE EXTRA SHARE ACQUIRED DOES NOT ADVERSLY AFFECT THE COY I GO FOR IT. Children today will become elders tomorrow. Time will change things.
Any way of getting these valuable information early enough. Have a strong feeling people actually profit from this lack of information.

I think you will do well to remember that nobody is being paid or compenasated in any shape or form to put any info on nairaland peeps are just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts which you dont seem to appreciate so if you need any info learn to ask politely or go look yourself and let us benefit from your insight
Nuff said!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:04pm On Oct 20, 2007
Crusader acquired 4 companies. Shareholders of those companies will invariably be issued with Crusader shares thus increasing the oustanding shares of Crusader PLC. Right now, no one seems to have the merger document.

As per the Life and General Insurance companies, they are FULLY owned subsidiary of Crusader. They decided to split the parent company into two to comply with the insurance consolidation plans. In principle, it has no effect. Prior to this, most insurance companies present their accounts to reflect the Life and General insurance part of their business.

Like I have said many times, not knowing the issued shares of most insurance companies makes analysis difficult. There may just come up some major surprises that will change the fundamentals. So, thread with caution.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:08pm On Oct 20, 2007
pumping777:

I won't call it stupid so quickly. The plan is to cater for oversubscription if they go for 100B. In this case the maximum that can be raised is 125B. With the new plans even if they only get 150B this is more than they would have been able to raise. In this case, it will be undersubscribed but they are able to raise more.

I don't see a problem with the offer being underwritten up to 160B.

Platinum is already on TS and I don't see the guarantee the price will rise immediately after lifting the TS. In recent times, stocks are just not responding to this. Maybe maybe not. It's up to you, but I don't think an additional 100B added to the offer makes a difference right now. If the offer is undersubscribed it might affect investor sentiments but this won't be known till next year.

An offer that is 80% underwritten is not likely to have a problem. The underwritters are expected to cough out 80% of the offer if the 'public' refuse not to subscribe to it. That way, the underwritters will ahve to do a lot of marketting or else they will be left with 'bad shares'. Just ask IBTC. They are 'forced' to own Presco and First Aluminium shares just because of this.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrCee(m): 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2007
[table]why not give VETIVA a short andd see what will happen not because am with them but i just want you to cathch inn on there services for Naija outside the shore[/table][color=#770077][/color]

Bigboylary You are with Vetiva are they managing your shares for your or you give them instruction before they execute?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:19pm On Oct 20, 2007
ladon:

GUYS SHOULD SHARPEN DRE EYES.THEY SHOULD NOT APPROACH THE JAPAUL DISCOUNT SIMPLY.REMEMBER IF You BUY AT THE PO AT N4 THE PROFIT IS PAPER PROFIT TILL You VERIFY OR You GET THE PO OFFER IN UR CSCS.ALSO D SUSPENSION WOULD BE LIFTED WELL BEFORE TAT TIME.D QUESTION IS CAN IT HOLD AND EVEN GO BEYOND THE N6 LEVEL 4 You TO GET UR MONEY.
PERSONALLY AM WEARY OF EXCESSIVE DISCOUNT, REMEMBER DUNLOP OFFER EARLY THIS YEAR ,ALMOST 100%,WHERE IS DUNLOP NOW.AND CCNN RECENTLY.
ALSO THE PO MONEY WOULD BE USE FOR PROJECT TAT WOULD BE COMPLETED ,THE LEAST BEING 2YRS.TAT MEANS THE PO MONEY MAY BE TURNING IN ANY PROFIT FOR THE COY TILL AFTER 2YRS.
SOME ONE IN ONE OF THE EARLIER THREAD ASK HOW INFLATION OR DEFLATION AFFECT SHARE PRICE.SIMPLY PUT IF DRE IS INFLATION SHARE PRICES INCREASES IF DRE IS DEFLATION SHARE PRISES DECREASES.IT WORKS DIS WAY BECAUSE IF DRE IS INFLATION THE COY INCREASES D PRICES OF GOODS AND SERVICES,TURN OVER OR PREMIUM ETC INCREASES,DIVEDEND INCREASES,OVER TIME SHARE PRICES INCREASES AND VIZ VERSA FOR DEFLATION
SO TAT IS WHY DEY SAY TO BEAT INFLATION HANDS DOWN INVEST IN SHARES, SHINE UR EYES[color=#000099][/color]

The Japaul discount may be because bonus shares will be declared for existing shareholders and this will reduce the percieved discount for buyers from the PO.

Regarding inflation and share prices it is not so simple. Since someone asked the question a couple of days ago and I could not answer it I decided to do some research on it.

See an extract from The Economic times:

---------------------
How does rising inflation affect the stock market?

To tame inflation, the government usually hikes interest rates. This tends to make debt instruments attractive relative to equities as the former carry a lower risk (small savings instruments are risk free as they are guaranteed by the government). This results in some amount of investments shifting from equity to debt.However, high inflation is not always bad and low inflation need not always be good for equity markets, as the impact will differ for companies and sectors across different time horizons. The first thing to consider is the items where prices are rising. For example a rise in oil prices will impact a wide range of items from food products to those that require transportation.
--------------------

We saw the CBN raise interest rates recently due to fear of rising inflation during the festive season. If interest rates are not raised and inflation rise unabated , then I suppose your theory will hold because there will also be more demand for stocks than debt.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 4:20pm On Oct 20, 2007
Hello,

I intend to buy some of the Bedrock Fund. The Fund Manager expects a return of 22% in Year 1, 24% in Year 2 and 25% in Year 3, giving an average expected return rate of 24%.

THE ANCHOR FUND
OFFER FOR SUBSCRIPTION OF 2,000,000,000 UNITS OF THE AT =N=1.00 EACH
WITH AN INITIAL CLOSING OF 500,000,000 UNITS

I am starting with 20,000 units @ N1, which will be watched for a minimum of 3 years.

Here is a brief info about my plan: I am also starting a 401K @ 20.

Should I go for it or I should just buy more stocks.

Please if you know any other fund with a better offer kindly help me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:23pm On Oct 20, 2007
wanaj0:

An offer that is 80% underwritten is not likely to have a problem. The underwritters are expected to cough out 80% of the offer if the 'public' refuse not to subscribe to it. That way, the underwritters will ahve to do a lot of marketting or else they will be left with 'bad shares'. Just ask IBTC. They are 'forced' to own Presco and First Aluminium shares just because of this.

What I mean is that Bank PBH should be able to secure underwriters ready to cover this amount,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2007
wanaj0:

What I mean is that Bank PBH should be able to secure underwriters ready to cover this amount,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by slim49z(m): 4:32pm On Oct 20, 2007
Hehe,  Seems everybody is intrested in stocks.

Well, its a good thing,but always remember to separate the Cocks from the Hens before investing.

Coz you can bet your last buck that many companies 're going to come out with their public offers from now till December . And they 're all coming to collect money.

Just be careful guys.

Good luck to us all,
slim
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 4:46pm On Oct 20, 2007
@ Mr .Cee

Bigboylary You are with Vetiva are they managing your shares for your or you give them instruction before they execute?

Why not you give them a try it depends on what who wants and like here is more details informations on VETIVA.

Vetiva Stock Broking Account – (Minimum Deposit – N1million/$10,000)

As a Client, you will exercise full discretion in the Management of your Portfolio;
Investment activities shall be carried out on client portfolios in accordance with strict instructions obtained from the client and Vetiva shall not initiate any investment activities on behalf of StockBroking clients;
Clients shall have access to Vetiva Online & Mobile Services (in line with specific terms which are laid out);

Monthly Online statements will be available to Clients on login to their accounts.

CATEGORY 2: Vetiva Investment Management Programme - Non-Discretionary Portfolio (Minimum Deposit – N15million/$100,000)
Clients exercise full discretion in the management of their portfolios. Investment activities shall only be carried out on client portfolios in accordance with strict instructions obtained from the client;

Investment activities shall be carried out on client portfolios in accordance with strict instructions obtained from the client and Vetiva shall not initiate any investment activities on behalf of Non-discretionary clients;

Clients will be assigned a dedicated Relationship Officer who will perform the following functions:

Take instructions from the client and ensure execution;

Provide personalised Investment Advisory Services;

Takes responsibility for Portfolio Administration;

Quarterly Portfolio Reports will be dispatched to the Client;

Quarterly Meetings will be held to discuss Clients’ Portfolios;

Clients shall have access to Vetiva Online & Mobile Services (in line with specific terms which are laid out).

CATEGORY 3: Vetiva Investment Management Programme - Discretionary Portfolio (Minimum Deposit – N15million/$100,000)

Client investments are managed at Vetiva’s sole discretion in order to achieve agreed laid-down investment objectives. This means that the mandate is an unlimited mandate to act on the Client’s behalf in order to achieve the investment objective without it being necessary to obtain further authority or consent from the client to effect any transaction;

Clients will be assigned a dedicated Relationship Officer/Portfolio Manager who will perform the following functions:

Manage the Portfolio at his/her sole discretion in line with agreed objectives;

Quarterly Meetings will be held to discuss Client Portfolios;

Clients shall have access to Vetiva Online & Mobile Services (in line with specific terms which are laid out).

Hope these information will do. cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrCee(m): 5:22pm On Oct 20, 2007
@ BIGBOYLARY

[table]Why not you give them a try it depends on what who wants and like here is more details informations on VETIVA.

Vetiva Stock Broking Account – (Minimum Deposit – N1million/$10,000)

As a Client, you will exercise full discretion in the Management of your Portfolio;
Investment activities shall be carried out on client portfolios in accordance with strict instructions obtained from the client and Vetiva shall not initiate any investment activities on behalf of StockBroking clients;
Clients shall have access to Vetiva Online & Mobile Services (in line with specific terms which are laid out);

Monthly Online statements will be available to Clients on login to their accounts.

CATEGORY 2: Vetiva Investment Management Programme - Non-Discretionary Portfolio (Minimum Deposit – N15million/$100,000)
Clients exercise full discretion in the management of their portfolios. Investment activities shall only be carried out on client portfolios in accordance with strict instructions obtained from the client;

Investment activities shall be carried out on client portfolios in accordance with strict instructions obtained from the client and Vetiva shall not initiate any investment activities on behalf of Non-discretionary clients;

Clients will be assigned a dedicated Relationship Officer who will perform the following functions:

Take instructions from the client and ensure execution;

Provide personalised Investment Advisory Services;

Quarterly Meetings will be held to discuss Clients’ Portfolios;

CATEGORY 3: Vetiva Investment Management Programme - Discretionary Portfolio (Minimum Deposit – N15million/$100,000)

Client investments are managed at Vetiva’s sole discretion in order to achieve agreed laid-down investment objectives. This means that the mandate is an unlimited mandate to act on the Client’s behalf in order to achieve the investment objective without it being necessary to obtain further authority or consent from the client to effect any transaction;

Clients will be assigned a dedicated Relationship Officer/Portfolio Manager who will perform the following functions:

Manage the Portfolio at his/her sole discretion in line with agreed objectives;

Quarterly Meetings will be held to discuss Client Portfolios;

Hope these information will do. [/table]

This really helps thanks a lot for the information.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 5:24pm On Oct 20, 2007
Hi NAZZYON,

1. I am not a guru when it comes to stocks and funds but from my little experience, I will like to advise you to buy more of Bedrock and Anchor funds because there is every tendency that Cashcraft will meet their projections and moreover, the funds are very cheap.

2.You can use the remaining money to buy ARM FUND. They are coming to the market on Monday, Oct. 29,2007 with an offer(IPO) @ # 20.00 PER UNIT. and the minimum you can buy is 50,000.

tonyjon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.