Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,536 members, 7,843,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817714 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 1:45pm On Oct 24, 2007
Can one of the gurus, please bless me with a calculation that shows their perception of the fair value of NASCON. shocked
and their inclinations to the directino in which it would go in the near term.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 1:45pm On Oct 24, 2007
MyPeace:

Thanks Wanajo, but they said the will use the new fund for shares and bonds. lts a new fund different from the old existing one.

My peace,
If you are risk averse then a mutual fund may suit you.  However like Wanaj0 if you put all that money in a conservative stock on the exchange, you would most likely make more money than the fund in the same period of time for the fund to post profit (usually a year).  This is a proven fact. Question is which ones are these good stock pics, some insurance stocks are still the toast of the market,
Keep you ears to the ground visit these forums and you will be glad you did.
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 1:50pm On Oct 24, 2007
thank you Geees
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 1:54pm On Oct 24, 2007
cashoggy:

Hi everyone,
Does any one have an idea how the lawsuit between Federal Government/Kano State government again Neimeth/Phizer is going to affect the company. I just bought some of their shares and I'm wondering if I should dispose them before the price drops further.Thanks

That is negative news which may push Neimeth prices down further. The decision is yours.
How much do you have in it, when are you looking at taking profit, can you do with a 50% loss in your invested money or loose it completely? then continue
However are you waking up scared each day?
Then please sell for High Pressure is more costly
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DDOTS1(m): 2:14pm On Oct 24, 2007
Hi All, could anyone please advise where I can get some historical data on quoted companies on the NSE to enable me carry out some tehnical analysis, study trends etc
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 3:38pm On Oct 24, 2007
Still on goodwill,please

Do u just assume any amount as a goodwill value?

Is there no standard for measuring it?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 3:46pm On Oct 24, 2007
wema looks to be going good for us now,
lets see where it heads to

@kilasos, cant seem to find ur email addy,
mine shld be there
if not holla me on aberdeen no, and 620977 around 8pm and drop ur phone no
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:06pm On Oct 24, 2007
Tmoni:

wema looks to be going good for us now,
lets see where it heads to

@kilasos, can't seem to find your email addy,
mine shld be there
if not holla me on aberdeen no, and 620977 around 8pm and drop your phone no

Made 15% after charges on Wema within 3days!!! Bought on Monday at 8.60. Now price is 10.29.

Pity those who are yet to sell their IBTC. It has started its free fall now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 4:12pm On Oct 24, 2007
SKYE SHELTER FUND

Offer Open Date Monday, July 23, 2007
Offer Close Date Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007
Allocation Begin Date Wednesday, Sep 12, 2007
Allocations End Date Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007
Results of Allocation Announced Monday, Oct 08, 2007
Crediting of CDS Accounts with Shares Friday, Oct 12, 2007
Dispatch of Share Certificates Monday, Oct 15, 2007
Commencement of Trading on Nigeria Stock Exchange Monday, Oct 22, 2007

www.africanselect.com

Isnt the SKYE REIT supposed to be listed on the NSE by now? Whats happening
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:15pm On Oct 24, 2007
wanaj0:

Made 15% after charges on Wema within 3days!!! Bought on Monday at 8.60. Now price is 10.29.

Pity those who are yet to sell their IBTC. It has started its free fall now.

Wema may officially take over the rank of gamble stock from AP  grin, Who knows if Wema is on net bid/offer, ?

Like IBTC, AP has also started free fall, and the amount that was sold today was pathetic; 291,630 so I suspect it is on net offer.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:22pm On Oct 24, 2007
damoche07:

Still on goodwill,please

Do u just assume any amount as a goodwill value?

Is there no standard for measuring it?

As Wanaj0 pointed out, there is a way of measuring it.

A company cannot just assume a value. It is determined I believe by Accountants using acceptable Accounting standards. Over the years, the goodwill will also have to be re-evaluated to reflect the current situation of the company.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 4:32pm On Oct 24, 2007
Pumping, whats the meaning of this net offer/bid
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kabraw(m): 4:33pm On Oct 24, 2007
I need to open a stock broking account and i havent found any reliable one.I reside in the united states and communication with the few i have contacted is vey sad.I emailed vetiva and the response is not encouraging.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 4:41pm On Oct 24, 2007
whats really going on with WEMA?, thats 15% in three days. this market can really be funny at times.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 4:49pm On Oct 24, 2007
shigidi:

whats really going on with WEMA?, thats 15% in three days. this market can really be funny at times.

Thats why it is useless to predict the market. Anyone doing that ( without technical knowledge ) will eventually get burnt.

@Bigboylary should have predicted this through his crystal ball last week!!! why is he sef?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cashoggy(f): 4:56pm On Oct 24, 2007
Hi 'Yodiyobumbum' grin/everyone,
I have 30k with my stockbroker and I wonder whether togo for Japaul/Fidelity or Afribank that's coming or which one is good/better/best. Pls help
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cashoggy(f): 5:07pm On Oct 24, 2007
Geees:

That is negative news which may push Neimeth prices down further. The decision is yours.
How much do you have in it, when are you looking at taking profit, can you do with a 50% loss in your invested money or loose it completely? then continue
However are you waking up scared each day?
Then please sell for High Pressure is more costly
Cheers

Only 5,000 units. Got it less than a month ago when it was N3.90-something in the market and it was bought at N4 for me (guess they; slapped me). I think I'd rather dispose of them now, hopefully I'll get a willing buyer. thanks a bunch
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:11pm On Oct 24, 2007
MyPeace:

Pumping, whats the meaning of this net offer/bid

My bad for the stock grammar. Simply put I wanted to know if the demand for the stock was more than the supply or vice versa in today's session.

If demand greatly outstrips supply it may indicate prices will rise again the following day but this is no guarantee because tomorrow you may have a significantly increase in supply that will make up for the gap due to the higher price.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2007
JULIUS BERGER NIGERIA PLC
UNAUDITED Q-3 RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED SEPTEMBER 30, 2007
PERIOD 2007 2006 ABSOLUTE CHANGE %CHANGE
TURNOVER (N'b) 49.65 38.90 10.75 27.6%
PBT (N'b) 1.45 1.09 0.36 33.0%
TAXATION (N'm) 455.00 381.50 73.50 19.3%
PAT (N'm) 995.00 708.50 286.50 40.4%
* Means Decrease & * Means Increase
Net Profit Margin 2.00% 1.82% 0.2%

*From Meristem Securities*
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 7:04pm On Oct 24, 2007
@ wanajo
Sold IBTC for 20.50 on Monday against the advice of my brokers. I guess this shows one must always go with ones gut feelings.
@ all
can someone please analyse NASCON for me. Am bleeding here embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed undecided
don't know there number of outstanding shares as i know i can't follow the NSE site 100%.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 7:07pm On Oct 24, 2007
Personally investing in a bank like WEMA, a bank without results for 3 years is just too risky. The might be taken over or something really incredible will happen. Insider info is needed for this one.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:24pm On Oct 24, 2007
kpineo:

Personally investing in a bank like WEMA, a bank without results for 3 years is just too risky. The might be taken over or something really incredible will happen. Insider info is needed for this one.

It all depends on your risk appetite. Similar sentiments were echoed when AP was in court and nobody touched it.

It's good to preserve money. This should be priority but some may be happy to take the risk this because of the potential yield.

Here sentiments will play a big part not even just the value of WEMA. If WEMA releases even a moderate result today that says the house is in order expect the stock to head north even before enough analysis is done.

That aside, some may even sell now if they see %20 or more and move on, no need being greedy,

In the end, it's all up to you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2007
kabraw:

I need to open a stock broking account and i havent found any reliable one.I reside in the united states and communication with the few i have contacted is vey sad.I emailed vetiva and the response is not encouraging.

I also live in the US. I contacted like 6, some responded, some didnt, same with my friends, and we were pretty disappointed so I went with UBA's NRN prog, that way I was also able to get a bank acct out of the whole equation. So now myself and couple of my friends here are in the NSE through UBA.
They have their NY office who serves as the liason between us and the head quarters in Lagos, but I deal directly with one of the US NRN relationship manager. Send me a pm, and I can email u his email address.
Here is the UBA NRN info, it was straightfwd, I sent mine by DHL straight to lagos, you can do that or send to NYC office who then sends to Lagos, I wanted it to be quicker so sent directly. They got mine in 3 days, had my bank acct open in 1 day and my capital market account in another 3-4 days. All in all, it took about 2-3weeks before I could start trading.
http://www.ubaplc.com/newubaplc/defaultNRN.asp
You have to have the current acct first (minimum N100k to open) before you can have the capital market acct (minimum N250k) but once acct is open, u only need N5k to keep current operating, so you can pretty much trade with the other one.
I like the 1 stop idea, I can send my money directly to my bank acct through www.ubaremit.com (they increase your limit the more u send, initially its $1000, then next time u try its $2000, then the 3rd time, it goes up to $5000)and its there in 2 business days, then I sign a transfer mandate to transfer money from current (checkings) acct to capital market acct, scan and email. The relationship manager emails me my invoice and lets me know once the brokerage section has purchased it, which is about 2-3business days.

There's another thread on here where a couple of UBA NRN users posted, so you can do a search
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollarmani: 8:01pm On Oct 24, 2007
Kpineao

You dont want to bail out of NASCON prematurely at this time. What i told a freind of mine who got caught up in the hype of NASCON's one day PO is to reduce his exposure per share by buying more at this time since the stock seems to have sstabilized at 14+. He is buying a little more to reduce is exposure per unit share from N22 to N17. That way you are not waiting for N22 to break even . At N20, you can exit with a profit.

My own two cents.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollarmani: 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2007
15% off WEMA is not bad.

I always tell people to determine their exit price before they even go in. Long throat however is a tough one to overcome so i commend you wanaj0 for exiting with your hat in your hand on that WEMA transaction.

Predicting the market is for the guys with the crystal ball. That is not my league .I just prefer to go by what is cheap (considering the fundamentals) and liquid relative to its contemporaries in thesame sector. You cant go wrong if you walk the path of a value investor. The growth investor path is rife with booby traps.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 8:21pm On Oct 24, 2007
Hi Geees/yodiyokun,

If you are to put these three banks on a scale(scale of preference)
in terms of purchase if you are to buy and you have the money,
how will the scale look like?.

tonyjon.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:29pm On Oct 24, 2007
dollarmani:

Kpineao

You don't want to bail out of NASCON prematurely at this time. What i told a freind of mine who got caught up in the hype of NASCON's one day PO is to reduce his exposure per share by buying more at this time since the stock seems to have sstabilized at 14+. He is buying a little more to reduce is exposure per unit share from N22 to N17. That way you are not waiting for N22 to break even . At N20, you can exit with a profit.

My own two cents.

Has the stock really stabilized at 14+? The stock has been falling consistently for a while until today when it gained 5% but this is not enough to establish a trend.  

The hard part is being certain this stock will rise back to N17 in the near future. If not, your friend may end up losing more money.

You need some analysis so support the possible rise of the stock back to N20 as you have suggested. Remember that a stock will not necessarily rise back to a price it attained in the past.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 8:41pm On Oct 24, 2007
tonyjon:

Hi Geees/yodiyokun,

If you are to put these three banks on a scale(scale of preference)
in terms of purchase if you are to buy and you have the money,
how will the scale look like?.

tonyjon.

Which three?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 8:52pm On Oct 24, 2007
kpineo:

@ wanajo
Sold IBTC for 20.50 on Monday against the advice of my brokers. I guess this shows one must always go with ones gut feelings.
@ all
can someone please analyse NASCON for me. Am bleeding here embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed undecided
don't know there number of outstanding shares as i know i can't follow the NSE site 100%.

Gut feelings yes but talk of a good team of brokers that will do the job. Not advertising any broker but most of those in the country are not that efficient yet. Congrats Wanaj0, this is where the stock market is interesting.

NASCON? me no no! All i can say is that its no more the toast of the market so it might take some time before folks get interested in it again to create suffcient demand to raise its share price. Might as well get some more to average out as think Pumping777 suggests.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2007
PHB
FCMB

Fidelity
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 9:03pm On Oct 24, 2007
Geees/ Yodiyokun,

Sorry for the omission. The three banks are: 1. BANK PHB 2. FIDELITY BANK 3. FCMB.

tonyjon.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 9:07pm On Oct 24, 2007
pumping777:

I don't suggest averaging out. I'm not convinced NASCON has stabilized. Which is why I am saying that analysis to back up the current price as a fair price is needed.

Pumping777,
My apologies for misquoting you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.