Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,261 members, 7,836,192 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816687 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 8:06pm On Oct 25, 2007
Thanks for the Nigerian securities sites, it sure beats entering my stocks manually into microsoft money plus investor delight hasnt updated in past 3 days!

I love the fact that I can generate graphs with data stemming back to Jan 2006!
Now if they got consistent and accurate 3 yr data, I would pay them right now!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:45pm On Oct 25, 2007
dollarmani:

pumping777

pumping777, i suspect you have something to do with this people who have done this terrifc job with all the facilities available on their website www.nigeriansecurities.com. The quality of the work reeks with you. The so called improvements you mentioned earlier about formatting number and other issues have been taken care of. Tell us the truth. We will support this initiative because meeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, your contributions to this forum has been invaluable grin grin

I no dey there o,

Actually, it was your thread that pointed me to the site yesterday, God bless you jare, but as I was going on one would think I have investments there, I agree sha, but the site just takes care of a big headache I had, It used to take like 30 minutes of my day to update my portfolio daily with price changes , and I end up doing it during work hours, so I don't feel too good about it,

, and thanks for the compliments.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 10:25pm On Oct 25, 2007
Pumping777
Abeg rescue me here o! It appears that NO ONE on nairaland bought into the SKYE REIT offer ( NO ONE!!) Ive been begging and pleading to members to tell me why the shares havent been listed on the NSE after all these months, and even though a subsidiary of Cashcraft ( African Select) says it was slated for trading on the 22nd of Oct. maybe you can help?? angry angry .
Thanks abeg.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:01am On Oct 26, 2007
Another one bites the dust!!

EVANS MEDICAL PLC
UNAUDITED Q-2 RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED JUNE 30, 2007
PERIOD 2007 2006 ABSOLUTE CHANGE %CHANGE
TURNOVER (N'b) 1.74 1.59 0.14 9.0%
PBT (N'm) 71.30 216.61 -145.31 -67.1%
TAXATION (N'm) 22.82 64.98 -42.17 -64.9%
PAT (N'm) 48.46 151.63 -103.17 -68.0%

Net Profit Margin 57.32% 44.47% 12.8%

Higher turnover but PAT dips by 68%.

48.8M PAT from turnover of 1.74B
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:14am On Oct 26, 2007
Rob-roy:

Pumping777
Abeg rescue me here o! It appears that NO ONE on nairaland bought into the SKYE REIT offer ( NO ONE!!) Ive been begging and pleading to members to tell me why the shares havent been listed on the NSE after all these months, and even though a subsidiary of Cashcraft ( African Select) says it was slated for trading on the 22nd of Oct. maybe you can help?? angry angry .
Thanks abeg.

Sorry, no idea about this one,

I thought SKYE REIT was around July this year, I don't think there is cause for alarm yet,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:22am On Oct 26, 2007
Costain on TS today @ N18.89. I hear PO is @ N13 and rights issue @N11. Looks attractive looking at the fundamentals but will wait for the prospectus.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:46am On Oct 26, 2007
pumping777:

Costain on TS today @ N18.89. I hear PO is @ N13 and rights issue @N11. Looks attractive looking at the fundamentals but will wait for the prospectus.

After Flour Mills  Costain (WA) is about the best investment as far as fundamentals go. Looks  this is done and dusted  you have heard it on nairaland if you dont believe me read this---https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=52566.msg1552345#msg1552345

We are looking atwith BIGBOY LARRY's borrowed crystal balls least N25 by the time they report full year March 2008 so if you pick up the PO for N13 ( i dont like IPO/PO's) you are on the home run!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mee25(m): 10:09am On Oct 26, 2007
NAHCO is off the hook today. The rally will begin tongue tongue tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 10:32am On Oct 26, 2007
i am kicking myself for not having any COSTAIN earlier, how can there be a 30% discount of rights over po price!!!!!!!!
@ easimoni, i know you hate pos but this might be one worth jumpnig into. grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by niceuzor: 10:34am On Oct 26, 2007
How can one get involve in NSE? plz can somebody help me out
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 10:39am On Oct 26, 2007
niceuzor

through a Stockbroker, so get one!

At all

When is the Costain offer likely coming out?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by niceuzor: 10:46am On Oct 26, 2007
MyPeace- can i have a PM with you plz. cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by motai: 10:50am On Oct 26, 2007
@dollarmani  grin cheesy
thanks a lot, i really appreciate your explaination,they are well understood.
about the homework you gave,i think i got an answer.according to the  valuation table of www.nigeriansercurities.com.
   CADBURY has a P.E of 27.71 while NESTLE has P.E is 22.16,so comparing that with the average  p.e of the sector which is 18.59.i think nestle is cheaper than cadbury.
   UBA has  ap.e of 20.22 while fidelity has a p.e 50.82 so uba is cheaper than fidelity.

i will in no small way appreciate ur advise on this:
am a student and i av =N=22,000 and i want to invest it in stocks.i do not know weather to buy the ongoing fidelity bank or fcmb IPO(but will only buy few stocks ).or to put all in the insurance sector(for long term) and which insurance company will u recommend.THANK YOU VERY MUCH MAY GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by icez: 10:54am On Oct 26, 2007
please, the gurus in da house. I need help. I have about 70k, which of these is/are the best bet to buy;
   intercontinental
    bank PHB
    Fidelity
    Afribank
    Japaul oil and maritime service
ronkebaby, Kg, wills, pumping 777, please i need your advise.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 11:00am On Oct 26, 2007
shigidi:

i am kicking myself for not having any COSTAIN earlier, how can there be a 30% discount of rights over po price!!!!!!!!
@ easimoni, i know you hate pos but this might be one worth jumpnig into. grin grin grin

You must be a mind reader wink

The discount is a reward for faithful shareholders not us bargain-hunters. Let's see the prospectus but I suspect I may be forced to eat crow and buy this PO for a change. tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 11:02am On Oct 26, 2007
motai:

i will in no small way appreciate your advise on this:
am a student and i av =N=22,000 and i want to invest it in stocks.i do not know weather to buy the ongoing fidelity bank or fcmb IPO(but will only buy few stocks ).or to put all in the insurance sector(for long term) and which insurance company will u recommend.THANK YOU VERY MUCH MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

I'm buying Insurance companies esp Crusader. I'll also recommend M Benefits and Law Union & rock.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by walcolm(m): 11:10am On Oct 26, 2007
mee25:

NAHCO is off the hook today. The rally will begin tongue tongue tongue

ar u sure it will rally? dont forget the price was dropping like a stone in water  :obefore it was suspended for the IPO

i hope it does rally sha cause i have exposures there angry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 11:26am On Oct 26, 2007
easimoni:

I'm buying Insurance companies esp Crusader. I'll also recommend M Benefits and Law Union & rock.

Completely with you on this one but then i couldnt possibly disagree with you!Add to that list Abbey Mortgage whenever its listed (M Benefits is planning or has it already acquired? 20% equity)

Ins stocks are looking affordable at the moment so i'm with easimoni on this one
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by motai: 11:29am On Oct 26, 2007
@easimoni
thanx for ur respond and advise.they well appreciate.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 11:34am On Oct 26, 2007
icez:

please, the gurus in da house. I need help. I have about 70k, which of these is/are the best bet to buy;
   intercontinental
    bank PHB
    Fidelity
    Afribank
    Japaul oil and maritime service
ronkebaby, Kg, wills, pumping 777, please i need your advise.
Remove Fidelity and Afribank from that list and put FCMB instead. You are guaranteed i think 50K div when they report next year March and have a look at Bank PHP(Cant say more than what i have already said----->https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-52566.0.html#msg1619655 about bank PHP until i see the prospectus) then Japaul in that order
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mee25(m): 11:42am On Oct 26, 2007
walcolm:

ar u sure it will rally? don't forget the price was dropping like a stone in water :obefore it was suspended for the IPO

i hope it does rally sha cause i have exposures there angry

Yes it will rally like it did before. The price somersault pre PO was the residual effect of the share reconstruction. Watch closely.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by icez: 11:54am On Oct 26, 2007
Roughcut
thanks very much. sorry i forgot to add FCMB. I also said i had about 70k, shld i use it in buying just from one company or spread it over different ones. and how can i do it
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by niceuzor: 12:26pm On Oct 26, 2007
Mypeace i'm very sorry about that breaking transmission cry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by 4christ(f): 12:53pm On Oct 26, 2007
MAYDAY!
I bought  Zenith shares about 6 years ago and i only got a divident letter from them once after they sent my certificate. i met with the stock broker times without number and yet no change.
pls wat can i do
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by walcolm(m): 1:13pm On Oct 26, 2007
4christ:

MAYDAY!
I bought Zenith shares about 6 years ago and i only got a divident letter from them once after they sent my certificate. i met with the stock broker times without number and yet no change.
please what can i do

zenith had their IPO in 2004, aare u sure you bought zenith shares 6yrs ago?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 2:59pm On Oct 26, 2007
@all,
anyone know the last time Wapco or Flour mills declared a bonus? and what the ratio was?

Any inclination as to whether they will declare a bonus this year end?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:44pm On Oct 26, 2007
yodiyokun:

@all,
anyone know the last time WAPCO or Flour mills declared a bonus? and what the ratio was?

Any inclination as to whether they will declare a bonus this year end?

WAPCO paid N1 dividend paid for their last financial year 2006 around middle of this year but I don't think there was a bonus.

Flour Mills also declared a dividend of 90 Kobo around September this year and I think no bonus either.

If the stock prices don't rise well beyond the highs for this year which is over 80 Naira for each stock, then I won't expect any bonus.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollarmani: 4:16pm On Oct 26, 2007
Motai,

Your idea of buying insurance may be good. But please buy a company with good corporate governance and cheap relative to others in view of all that is going on in that sector.

AIICO or UNIC is not a bad buy. AIICO moreso because their results at the end of this year will be that of three insurance companies in one, (NFI which was delisted earlier on in the year and one more i don't remeber now). I think the analysts  at www.nigeriansecurities.com are been cautious as in estimating the Projected PAT at 250M. I expect it to be more than that thus bringing the PE ratio well under 20 to make it attractive fundamentally together with UNIC and Crusader.

The average for the companies listed on their site is 24.75. This of course is not the industry average. They have just the average for the companies they have in their valuation sheet. I don't know the criteria for which those stocks were selected. I am just glad that there is a reference point i can use.

I hope they can maintain and keep this resource available undecided They howver seem to be intent on doing this as they have been responding to inquiries well by mail
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 4:35pm On Oct 26, 2007
icez:

Roughcut
thanks very much. sorry i forgot to add FCMB. I also said i had about 70k, shld i use it in buying just from one company or spread it over different ones. and how can i do it
Yaa since you have 70k and in order not to spread yourself too thinly i would advise you go for not more than two different stocks go for FCMB at least you are assured of getting your dividend by the time they release their full year results march next year(they hope to do the allotment by January so which means you will be on the register and therefore qualify) and may be Japaul but i'm not sure if you will entitled to the next dividend they declare by the time they report i will have to check this for you. They have promised to pay dividends
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 4:42pm On Oct 26, 2007
@Roughcut,

l like ur analysis on bank PHB on the other thread.

pls at what price do u see FCMB in the next one year?

l dont know why all these coys are coming to the market at the same time, they shd allow us to save and get ready!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by motai: 4:53pm On Oct 26, 2007
@dollarmani
thanks a lot.
please aw can i find the company with good coperate governance(am new to stocks)?but are you recommending a AIICo and UNIC.i want to trde for long term.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:49pm On Oct 26, 2007
MyPeace:

@Roughcut,

l like your analysis on bank PHB on the other thread.

please at what price do u see FCMB in the next one year?

l don't know why all these coys are coming to the market at the same time, they should allow us to save and get ready!
Only God knows who is advising these banks as per the startegy they are adopting why they think it makes sense to push out a myriad of IPO/PO's almost all at the same time beats me!
Now to your question trying to predict where the price would be this time next year will always be a difficult one but let's start from the basics

PAT for YEnd April 2007=N5.9B

# Shares outstanding  ~9.5B

Trailing EPS                  = 62k

Trailing PE Ratio           =28.14

Already they have made N2.6B for the 1st quarter YEnd April 2008 therefore on an annualized basis the

Forward EPS=74k and forward

PE Ratio      =23.58

Now according to the prospectus they are hoping to grow the PAT from N5B in 2007 to a whopping N15B (200%)in 2008 i would say this is aggressive but achievable especially if all the projects they are embarking on start making money and most if not all of their projects for which they are raising the money  are expected to start earning within a year so their projections may be achievable therefore if we go by the projections in the prospectus i would expect the price to be in the rêgion of 22-25 in a year's time.
Having said that it may prove to be way off or the otherway round.I think somebody predicted ACCESS would be a N25 stock before  DEC but looks like it's stuck on N18.
We may project based on the info we have but then there are other factors which may affect share price movement which you cannot model quantitatively or predict sometimes the market can be so irrational that it's beyond belief.

All in all FCMB IPO is a good buy but Bank PHP is even better!

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.