Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,154 members, 7,867,357 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 02:30 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (250) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820909 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:43pm On Dec 14, 2007
pumping777:

"Oando and Ocean Oil Investment- 181,769,627 Ordinary Shares was created as a result of the scheme of arrangement between the two companies"

Can anyone explain how this may impact the outstanding shares of OandO?

I think you had not joined when Wanaj0 apprised us of this development. This now takes the no of shares to 753M (formely 572), I think. Some website, such as Naija Securities, had the larger number already. I don't think this is addition to that but a validation of what had been pending for month. I'm changing my sheet to 753M.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:44pm On Dec 14, 2007
Prince11:

Gurus in the house, I salute oh,

What will be the impact of this share reconstruction by Internatinal Energy Insurance,

Is it good or bad news?

Should be good news; less supply.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by moneypalav: 9:53pm On Dec 14, 2007
Hello ALL

DON'T FORGET TO RESPOND TO THE QUESTION SOMEONE ASKED EARLIER ,

i checked on Intenegins and could not find their name in all the site result sheet for the day what's up. do anybody know why they are not mentioned today?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 9:58pm On Dec 14, 2007
@ easimoni,

Thanks,

My broker also bought Transcorp (only 10,000), Diamond and GTB,

I am concerned about the 3 (Transcorp seems to have problems, , and this GDR thing affecting GTB and Diamond). I am learning fast enough to start issuing orders soon like all of una, grin

, should I just sell them all off before it is too late, or hold on,

I need to keep the little change working to the maximum,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:14pm On Dec 14, 2007
moneypalav:

Hello ALL

DON'T FORGET TO RESPOND TO THE QUESTION SOMEONE ASKED EARLIER ,

i checked on Intenegins and could not find their name in all the site result sheet for the day what's up. do anybody know why they are not mentioned today?

I posted the information earlier.

Intenegins is on FULL suspension for reconstruction. I think this means no buying or sell until suspension is lifted.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by igetwicked: 10:18pm On Dec 14, 2007
Does anyone who how long the Ecobank merger with Sterling bank will take.What is the usual time before technical suspension is lifted on the new bank shares.It appears Ecobank will be the dominant bank,if you own Sterling Bank Shares now what will happen then?Will you be issued new share certificates under the name of the new bank?Will there be verification and all it's attendant problems with time?

Sorry I am new to this and will appreciate answers from the gurus.My stockbroker for some reason convinced me to buy 300k units of Sterling Bank Shares.Is this good?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chokit(m): 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2007
crazyT:

Just as I earlier indicated, we just finished our meeting.
At first they both showed interest but as the meeting goes on Yemi (the youngest) lost interest because it’s too complicated and he doesn’t want to give his money to a stranger to keep.
But I will just keep on explaining to them with examples as majority of you here put it. DJ (the oldest) has agree that we should use part of their fire-works money to buy Aiico (PO) 50 euro each.

Thanks to all contributors on this topic, both for and against;

@Aksance, barge, chokit, easimoni and Londoncool

Goed gedaan,I with you on this i shall also cultivate the same habit.

Wij wonen in en dorp namen Castricum dictbij Alkmaar.

Hope we can share more important issues over NSE, Family and oppotunities in Netherland.I am working tommorrow so have a nice week end.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 10:21pm On Dec 14, 2007
Prince11:

@ easimoni,

Thanks,

My broker also bought Transcorp (only 10,000), Diamond and GTB,
I am concerned about the 3 (Transcorp seems to have problems, , and this GDR thing affecting GTB and Diamond). I am learning fast enough to start issuing orders soon like all of una, grin
, should I just sell them all off before it is too late, or hold on,
I need to keep the little change working to the maximum,

Hold on to your GTB and Diamond bank. The GDR thing seems to put most people off, but "you can't buy what is popular and do well". Fundamentals for both banks are rock-solid. I don't worry too much about her (the market) sentiments.

Transcorp? Flog your broker! Look for a break-even and get out. Transcorp is a looooooong ways off from making any money. This is one for 2009 (maybe).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:25pm On Dec 14, 2007
easimoni:

I think you had not joined when Wanaj0 apprised us of this development. This now takes the no of shares to 753M (formely 572), I think. Some website, such as Naija Securities, had the larger number already. I don't think this is addition to that but a validation of what had been pending for month. I'm changing my sheet to 753M.

Thanks. For some reason I have the updated figure. Now I know how it added up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 10:27pm On Dec 14, 2007
Ever since WEMA has been on suspension I have not received any update. Any news yet?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 10:40pm On Dec 14, 2007
@CrazyT

Even as an adult you sometimes need to say "what the heck!" and splash out.

Birthday parties are some of the joys of our childhoods. The money spent in making them memorable is money very well invested in the happiness of our kids.

You should introduce your children to investing but in a gradual calculated manner but must not divert money normally spent on their day to day enjoyments of their childhoods!

Perhaps you should use windfalls e.g. unexpected money gifts or designated small sums from you on top of what they normally get.

Almost like religion "you can take the horse to the river but you cannot force it to drink". Those of your kids that will become keen investors will persist when they are out of your control others will escape from your tyranny of stock investing!

Goodluck.

Samstone4 cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 10:57pm On Dec 14, 2007
samstone4:

@CrazyT

Even as an adult you sometimes need to say "what the heck!" and splash out.

Birthday parties are some of the joys of our childhoods. The money spent in making them memorable is money very well invested in the happiness of our kids.

You should introduce your children to investing but in a gradual calculated manner but must not divert money normally spent on their day to day enjoyments of their childhoods!

Perhaps you should use windfalls e.g. unexpected money gifts or designated small sums from you on top of what they normally get.

Almost like religion "you can take the horse to the river but you cannot force it to drink". Those of your kids that will become keen investors will persist when they are out of your control others will escape from your tyranny of stock investing!

Goodluck.

Samstone4 cool cool cool cool

What a matured way you answer the question, thanks men!

You remind me of the popular adage that says “the words of our elders are words of wisdom”
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 11:23pm On Dec 14, 2007
@Grabdaloot

This book seems better, according to Amazon review. And, i have heard about it before from Forex folks, where a lot more technicals is done.
Technical Analysis: The Complete Resource for Financial Market Technicians
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 11:50pm On Dec 14, 2007
Chem Engr Shigidi,
1. Volumes don't figure into RSI. It's, however, used to calculate OBV.
2. RSI is a little confusing per Investopedia's definition. RS (not RSI) = (sum of closing prices on up days / 14) divided by (sum of closing prices on down days/14). RSI = 100 - 100/(1+RS)
The 14 is the number of trading days used to calc RSI and is the norm. It can be adjusted.
3. No. Tech analysis analyzes demand and supply over the short term. A stock may be undervalued but over supplied and that is a recipe for an interim price decline. I's also (I think) a useful tool to know when to get out.

I think buying a fundamentally sound stock that appears to be "oversold" and primed for a bull run is the best way to go.

We go dey see as we start to apply.
EASIMONI,
thanks for the reply but concerning rs, do you mean the sum of closing prices on the 14 LATEST UP DAYS / 14 divided by sum of closing prices on the 14 LATEST DOWN DAYS.?
thanks for your help
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 11:52pm On Dec 14, 2007
Shigidi,
it's the sum of prices on up days and sum of prices on down days over the last 14 trading days. Both days must add up to 14, not 28 in your example. You are always adding one point and throwing out another one.

If you have 14 straight days of gains, then rs down is zero
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Octupus(f): 12:03am On Dec 15, 2007
Folks,
I cant believe how long I am able to sit up reading your very informative posts on this thread.As the bible teaches us : "Where your treasure is,there will your heart be".I can understand why many responders are dutiful and passionate about this particular thread.

Reading through the pages has helped answer some of the questions that have bogged my mind about this "game" of investing in NSE.I wish to thank,particularly, hispy99 and easimoni for answering my questions.

The many website links attached to the responders' posts have been very educative.I thank you all.Very soon I should be contributing in like manner,as I have the gift of ability to learn fast.

My coments/questions on some of the issues raised:
1. Trade Alert.Knowing that Stock brokers are likely to frown at this ingenius introduction to NSE packages,why have they made it mandatory that one's stockbroker should be privy to it.Afterall,it's supposed to be a means of checking their excesses,if any.

2. I strongly believe that more often than not,stock bullish runs are based on sentiments and propaganda rather than company fundamentals and technicals.Therefore one needs to be very careful in transacting on such stocks.The danger is,if you dont enter and exit early with yor gains,it may all come crahing on you when the bullish run reverses.

3. @easimoni,I couldnt agree more with you on how fast this thread runs! Not too sure I can keep up with the pace.I posted my contribution in the wee hrs of today and I am shocked that less than 24hrs later,5 pages have been added to the thread.I will try though,to stick around.

4. You gurus in the house,expect more questions from me.

Many thanks and you wish you all a great Sallah and Xmas celebrations,as I intend to have.My Xmas joy was assured by my AP "kill".Entered at N39/share and offloaded recently at N148/share.Made cool bread.So I await Xmas with smiles.Wish you all similar fortunes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 12:16am On Dec 15, 2007
@easimoni
i think the nse works more wt fundamentals than charts smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 12:25am On Dec 15, 2007
@crazyT
I tink u ar on d right path.i entered the mkt as a teenager,1st yr in d university hav neva lookd bak cause at graduatn my portfolio was in 6figures which i had entered earlier buyn NBL @50K, FBN@6, cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 12:33am On Dec 15, 2007
@NAZZYON
Bros,wema plan raisin 150b via placing wt foregn investors nd public offer.a share reconstructn is also lurkin in d shadow
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:10am On Dec 15, 2007
Octupus:

2. I strongly believe that more often than not,stock bullish runs are based on sentiments and propaganda rather than company fundamentals and technicals.Therefore one needs to be very careful in transacting on such stocks.The danger is,if you don't enter and exit early with yor gains,it may all come crahing on you when the bullish run reverses.

This is true for a short term trader and sure many folks here including myself try short term trading. If you don't sell today, the spreadsheet money may be lost in a few days. So wether it is 10% or 15% net short term, you cash out and smile to the bank.

However, for someone looking at say 6 months or even well above, this is not really an issue. Even though stock prices go up and down on a daily basis many of them will be heading in a particular direction long term. This is where buying a fundamentally sound stock comes in.

Consider the trader that has done multiple short trades with Zenith Bank in the last 2 years and made a lot of money. Maybe he/she buys today and sells in a month or even a week once a particular net profit is realizable.

On the other hand, consider the investor that bought the same stock 2 years ago and is still holding it today. He/she will also make a lot of money if he/she decides to sell now. So, despite the up and down movement of the stock price short term over the 2 years, the long term trend has been for the stock price to rise to it's current price. A fluctuation in price will not now bring it back to the price 2 years ago except something fundamentally goes wrong with the company or the NSE.

This is where good fundamentals come to play. If you buy a stock with solid fundamentals, over the long term, you are likely to make good returns. The daily or weekly up and down movements are not an issue.

So, depending on if you are a trader or investor or even both, you have to choose your strategy.

N.B. This your name na wa o. I fear you for this thread already grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by uknig18: 1:45am On Dec 15, 2007
@CHO
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians
« #7933 on: Yesterday at 02:49:13 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys

International Energy Ins on technical suspension.
For more details: http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=3363
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Octupus(f): 7:41am On Dec 15, 2007
pumping777:

This is true for a short term trader and sure many folks here including myself try short term trading. If you don't sell today, the spreadsheet money may be lost in a few days. So wether it is 10% or 15% net short term, you cash out and smile to the bank.

However, for someone looking at say 6 months or even well above, this is not really an issue. Even though stock prices go up and down on a daily basis many of them will be heading in a particular direction long term. This is where buying a fundamentally sound stock comes in.

Consider the trader that has done multiple short trades with Zenith Bank in the last 2 years and made a lot of money. Maybe he/she buys today and sells in a month or even a week once a particular net profit is realizable.

On the other hand, consider the investor that bought the same stock 2 years ago and is still holding it today. He/she will also make a lot of money if he/she decides to sell now. So, despite the up and down movement of the stock price short term over the 2 years, the long term trend has been for the stock price to rise to it's current price. A fluctuation in price will not now bring it back to the price 2 years ago except something fundamentally goes wrong with the company or the NSE.

This is where good fundamentals come to play. If you buy a stock with solid fundamentals, over the long term, you are likely to make good returns. The daily or weekly up and down movements are not an issue.

So, depending on if you are a trader or investor or even both, you have to choose your strategy.

N.B. This your name na wa o. I fear you for this thread already grin grin grin

Thanks pumping 777.
I agree with your comments.Actually I wasn't referring to the daily up and down movts of stock prices.I meant the sudden,out of the blues bullish run of a particular equity,often times out of tandem with equities in the same sector.I am referring to the fact that a few big players in the game stir up a politically engineered bullish run in a particular equity designed to make demand oustrip supply.They cash in on the consequent price hike and offload quickly before the hoax is unveiled.

Generally,I think it's best to divide one's portfolio into Speculative stocks and Investing stocks.Keep trading on the speculative stocks and use the proceeds,if any, to fatten the investing long term stocks.I stand to be corrected.But you see,I had bought AP(@N39) as an investing stock,based on fundamentals,but couldn't resist the temptation to sell when it got to N148.I mean, the profit was incredible,if you get me.I think this will far outweigh whatever they plan to give as dividend or bonuses at year end.Besides,who says I cant re-enter the equity when the craze is over.I believe,as it stands now,AP is over priced.Once again,I stand to be corrected.

Much as stock trading is lucrative,I think is basically a game.Better players make more money than others.Unwary ones lose fortunes.That's why I agree with the one who said,never invest any money you cannot afford to lose in the stock market.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:08am On Dec 15, 2007
@kpineo,

I no dey too worry about the ones i have.
I got Aiico before the TS.
This one when bid full everywhere so,you may need to instruct your broker to offer a premium price to get it.
Maybe you can offer like 3.60.
When diamond was on TS for a long time at N11 plus early this year.My broker told me i could offer N14 to get it.I complained it was too high(the whole profit don go now).But lo and behold after TS the TIN fly pass N14.
Offer premium price you'll get.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 9:12am On Dec 15, 2007
@fatherof2
@kipneo
i'v bin reading u 4 some time.appreciate ur contributns .bt dont u think buying wt premium is relative. imagine buyin access @ 21 premium,u must b double sure d stock will move ,which is not a certainty.if u shld buy on premium at all, i think u shuld ensure your deal has been crossed b4 payment is made as an operator ,i have seen things happenin wt premiums.so be careful sir.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 9:17am On Dec 15, 2007
hey guys,heard CSCS and the NSE will be seeking listing next year,u guys shuld track it.CSCS alone makes abt 30m per day, though depending on volumes traded.chao.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 9:25am On Dec 15, 2007
easimoni:

Shigidi,
You are always adding one point and throwing out another one.

part of been an engineer grin
thanks easi
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Sureboi: 10:26am On Dec 15, 2007
Hello Nairaland ojogbons, the profs and the knowledgable, I bought Ikeja hotels ipo @ 3Naira over a year ago, and it only just started appreciating now its 6Naira, shocked any gist on them, when should i sell. easimoni, pumping777, wanajO anything to watch with this one? lipsrsealed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 10:35am On Dec 15, 2007
iconbull:

@fatherof2
@kipneo
i'v bin reading u 4 some time.appreciate your contributns .bt don't u think buying wt premium is relative. imagine buyin access @ 21 premium,u must b double sure d stock will move ,which is not a certainty.if u shld buy on premium at all, i think u shuld ensure your deal has been crossed before payment is made as an operator ,i have seen things happenin wt premiums.so be careful sir.

You're right there,it can't apply to all.
But how someone go dey offer N21 for access when its available on the floor even on TS.
It would only apply in a case where its non existent on the floor.Such cases are becoming rare now.Those where the good old days when TS would last like 8-9months.People go suffer for long.
These days dynamics don dey change fast.
But so early in the game Aiico has very high bids.What do you do.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2007
How will this POIn the non banking sector work? I am asking because I want to know if fnds will be returned to oversubscribers like the case of FBN and Access. If they will not return money, then this AIICO will be a nice one to end the year.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 12:11pm On Dec 15, 2007
@easimoni,

Thanks,,

Where is WANAJO?

, maybe he is doing a special end of year prayer for all of us!!! smiley

I miss am on this thread sha, "THE VOICE IN THE WILDERNESS"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 12:14pm On Dec 15, 2007
@fatherof2
@kipneo
U ar quite right.though shares in issue 4 the insurance industry are quite high peered wt other industies.your broker can still queue up 4 AIICO, supply wl surface soon. you can now buy shares on TS at discounts rather than premium, infact i sold some FCMB @16.20 3 wks ago while it was 17 on the floor.crazy thins can happen in ds mkt, all u hav 2 do is search.well,well.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 12:21pm On Dec 15, 2007
@sureboy1
i suggest u take ur profit nd enter again @ a lower price. the forward projectns/profit 4 ikeja hotel even in d offer prospectus is declining,except its fortunes change significantly a high price cant be sustained 4 long. i got d info @ a recent corporate mitin.

(1) (2) (3) ... (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.