Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,674 members, 7,851,295 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:33 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (445) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (818604 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 2:08pm On Feb 08, 2008
dollyp1cute:

Actually I agree with you to a certain degree there will still be some dips as some folks have not got their certs yet (moi for e.g. and girl is heavy on their IPO imagine if I borrowed money and had to offload)

I am in for the long haul so no shakin

yep me too. i do medium to long haul flights only! so though i walk through the valley of the shadow death, sorry price drop, i shall fear no evil.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 2:11pm On Feb 08, 2008
The Admira:

Dear gurus in the house,

is it a normal thing for you to submit a buy order and after a week the order has not been executed?

i'm upset with the way my broker is nonchalant about the issue. can some one advise? should i accept his assurances that all is well? and as you know the website has been unusable for over a week now.

thanks.

Don't accept non chalance, let him explain why because it depends on the stock

If the guy is just being lazy or truly non chalant send him a complaint and copy in his Oga, tell them you will report them on  Nairaland.

To make it even more effective tell them you were thinking of investing more money with them and if possible dangle a N5m cheque in front of their nose, they will sit tight

Otherwise they may buy your stock when the plane has left the Tarmac.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:12pm On Feb 08, 2008
wanaj0:

The insurance stocks saw RED today as expected!!!!

He be like some people go need medicine for High RED blood pressure  grin grin grin

Me I no dey there. The fear of TS is the beginning of wisdom. I remember how Zeniths TS crept up and hit many folks unawares. When they don't want you to know, you won't know.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 2:13pm On Feb 08, 2008
Folks,
The TRW prices are wrong at least Unhomes and Linkage Assurance.
Unhomes closed at 9.48,making a gain of 26kobo   while TRW is showing it as a loss
Linkage made more gain than TRW is reporting.E b like dem rush post results before market close
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 2:15pm On Feb 08, 2008
Hey! I don waka enter trouble, see as the Afribank I bought at 27 plus few weeks ago has been losing steady, and to drop below PO level is simply bad.

And nobody knows what will happen, I would have averaged this one out, but the fear of futher falls since this has never happened to another stock. (Losing below PO price)

Are we sure something serious has not happened? Another Wema here?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:17pm On Feb 08, 2008
blueband:

Folks,
The TRW prices are wrong at least Unhomes and Linkage Assurance.
Unhomes closed at 9.48,making a gain of 26kobo   while TRW is showing it as a loss
Linkage made more gain than TRW is reporting.E b like them rush post results before market close

Una see how the UnionHomes CICO pass in flying colours? If una collect your copy at a store near you as adviced 2 weeks ago, you go don dey bam bam to jollof this weekend.

Remember the winning formular.

Good Results(not necessarily spectacular) + low nominal price = Quick profit.  - CICO 101.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TheAdmira: 2:20pm On Feb 08, 2008
[quote author=pumping777 link=topic=31554.msg1932856#msg1932856 date=1202476094]
Yes, it is possible but I won't say if it is normal. It depends on a number of factors. These include,

1. Is the stock readily available on the floor? If you gave your broker an order to buy AIICO last week and still no luck today, it is not abnormal. The stock has been scarce.

2. Did you give a price cap which is well below the high prices for the period? You may need to raise your bid for success especially if it is a low cap stock with net bid on the floor.

3. Is the turnover volume of the stock unusually low?

etc, etc

So if you want to get better input, you should say which stock(s) you requested for and at what price(s).
[quote][/quote]

i gave instruction for NEM, AIICO and PREMPAINTS(limit price of 5); i did not set any limit price for the NEM and Aiico.l volume traded on NEM and Aiico  have been high but prempaints has bn low(just checked).
thx.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 2:21pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ pumping, am deeply involved in soaking Union homes two weeks ago, not ready to leave now, watching what will happen next week,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:24pm On Feb 08, 2008
invisible!:

Hey! I don waka enter trouble, see as the Afribank I bought at 27 plus few weeks ago has been losing steady, and to drop below PO level is simply bad.

And nobody knows what will happen, I would have averaged this one out, but the fear of futher falls since this has never happened to another stock. (Losing below PO price)

Are we sure something serious has not happened? Another Wema here?

Nothing has happened. There is no interest in the stock. The problem is that the bank does not have an interim result that can be used to stimulate interest and stabilize or push up the price. Q-3 result has already been announced too early to encourage folks to participate in a PO that was clearly overpriced.

Full year is March 2008 so no result can be out till August/September. Na only extraordinary bull market fit help this stock in my opinion.

The nominal price is average and the fundamentals are not spectacular. Na wa o  
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 2:26pm On Feb 08, 2008
No surprises for insurance there. The fall was predicted yesterday. Way expensive, result of hype.

NSE investing 101, be ready to dive out when you see too many gains without a corresponding performance/ reason for the rise.

The sector was ripe for the picking yesterday.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 2:28pm On Feb 08, 2008
May
pumping777:

He be like some people go need medicine for High RED blood pressure  grin grin grin

Me I no dey there. The fear of TS is the beginning of wisdom. I remember how Zeniths TS crept up and hit many folks unawares. When they don't want you to know, you won't know.

So if the fear of T.S chases all the money / most of the from insurance sector abeg which sector do you think the money will land  grin

And remember share prices follow the money / market sentiment.

As for union I should have picked up more when DATAMAN don put mouth verify common man's observation, make greed no catch me ho
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumice(m): 2:33pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ aktopgun

Thanks very much for your response. It makes a lot sense especially with your example. I have to start paying attention to these formations.

Cheers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 2:34pm On Feb 08, 2008
@dolyp1cute, I will vote for the banking sector to collect the bullish baton maybe next week, the billion of dollars in allocation money will soon find its way into the market.

Another factor to consider is the banks closing for this Q1 2008 may have to pay div and maybe bonuses before real unification by dec 08. This will up the price of GTB, Inter, FBN, UBN, Afribank etc.

My two cedis really.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:37pm On Feb 08, 2008
The Admira:

Yes, it is possible but I won't say if it is normal. It depends on a number of factors. These include,

1. Is the stock readily available on the floor? If you gave your broker an order to buy AIICO last week and still no luck today, it is not abnormal. The stock has been scarce.

2. Did you give a price cap which is well below the high prices for the period? You may need to raise your bid for success especially if it is a low cap stock with net bid on the floor.

3. Is the turnover volume of the stock unusually low?

etc, etc

So if you want to get better input, you should say which stock(s) you requested for and at what price(s).

i gave instruction for NEM, AIICO and PREMPAINTS(limit price of 5); i did not set any limit price for the NEM and Aiico.l volume traded on NEM and Aiico  have been high but prempaints has bn low(just checked).
thx.

I don't think you can blame your broker. In your post  you said your broker re-assured you and this is something very important in the relationship between my broker and myself.

1. NEM -  First, let me advice you to cancel your NEM order if it is for short term since you did not place a cap. I believe it started bleeding yesterday. You asked for this stock to be bought when it was marking up almost 5% daily so it could have been difficult to get.

2. Aiico - This one has been no go area. It has been very scarce. Be careful with this stock. Not putting a cap on this order can injure your money. The stock will rise unreasonable and the price will dip suddenly. You don't want your order to be executed at the wrong price. I must buy more of this stock sha as it is TS proof and share dilution proof for another few months but not at ANY price.

3.Prempaints - you have answered this one yourself. The stock volume has been pathetic. On Wednesday, it sold only 600 units.  

So no report your broker to anybody o. Report am to himself or herself.  Your broker is your best friend. If you go report am, the man/woman go become official and na you go cry last.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 2:39pm On Feb 08, 2008
But going back to insurance and the fear of TS, I woulnt mind getting trapped in a TS if it will be like the one of Aiico insurance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 2:40pm On Feb 08, 2008
I soaked up a lot of Unhomes at 7.70kobo and IEI.Especially IEI when it fell to 5.95kobo. Today IEI is 7.50kobo.I am wondering if it is a good move to buy some more.Something tells me it will hit 12 naira.But then I could be wrong bearing in mind that many people are only interested in the nominal price and don't care about  reconstruction when placing orders to their brokers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 2:45pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ the admiral, you strong oo. You were placing orders for unavailable stocks like prem. Paints, Aiico etc. This is a lesson I learnt the hard way. Now I make sure of the relative availability of a stock before placing orders, reduces my headaches.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 2:50pm On Feb 08, 2008
invisible!:

@ the admiral, you strong oo. You were placing orders for unavailable stocks like prem. Paints, Aiico etc. This is a lesson I learnt the hard way. Now I make sure of the relative availability of a stock before placing orders, reduces my headaches.

Seconded!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:51pm On Feb 08, 2008
dollyp1cute:

May  

So if the fear of T.S chases all the money / most of the from insurance sector abeg which sector do you think the money will land  grin

And remember share prices follow the money / market sentiment.

As for union I should have picked up more when DATAMAN don put mouth verify common man's observation, make greed no catch me ho

TS will not chase everybody away from the insurance sector. Only those that care so much about TS. Anyway, the Insurance stock prices will soon offer permanent resistance as they continue to rise and folks compare it to their performance when they release interim results.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2008
invisible!:

But going back to insurance and the fear of TS, I woulnt mind getting trapped in a TS if it will be like the one of Aiico insurance.

Ha, but no TS for Aiico again. Aiico upward journey was guaranteed. It was under-valued at least relative to the other insurance stocks. With all these insurance stocks that are over-valued, I won't want to be trapped by their TS.

You can't predict what will happen to most of the others after TS is lifted especially if it is lifted in the bear season which is most likely. Moreover, that trapped money could have been working better elsewhere. Also look at the insurance stocks that are already on TS (STDINSURE, CUSTODYINS). Surely you can still get them to buy on the floor now.

My prediction is that most of the insurance stocks will still be available on the floor even during TS.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2008
How una dey get bid price?

I wish we could buy/sell our shares by ourselves through some portal on our brokers website,like it is done here.Oneday we will get there,I suspect very very soon.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:01pm On Feb 08, 2008
blueband:

How una dey get bid price?

I wish we could buy/sell our shares by ourselves through some portal on our brokers website,like it is done here.Oneday we will get there,I suspect very very soon.

By that time, na only 15% gain we go dey make in a year instead of in a week Leave this system jare  grin grin just kidding.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 3:03pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ blueband, I feel you. Just let our market mature some more, all these shakara wey the brokers dey do go stop.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 3:06pm On Feb 08, 2008
@pumping, do you really think that online trading will erode returs in the stock market for trader?

What if company performance stays strong?

I respect your guruship.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2008
pumping777:

By that time, na only 15% gain we go dey make in a year instead of in a week Leave this system jare grin grin just kidding.

Nothing lasts forever.MAke person enjoy the NSE now before e stabilise.But then who knows-if Governement divests from more companies and they are eventually listed on the NSE,imagine listing Ajaokuta Steel,Aladja Steel,Itakpe Iron ore,Nigerian Mining Coporation,Nigeria Railways.Surely as the economy improves some of these old bones will rise again.

And when the 70 billion naira textile money starts working maybe more Textile companies will get listed on the NSE.
Another big industry that we have not seen in the NSE is the print media-Thisday,Guardian,TheNews,Ovation.

The time to make 15% profit a year never near o!Maybe in 2010!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:13pm On Feb 08, 2008
blueband:

The time to make 15% profit a year never near o!Maybe in 2010!

Agreed. Just like the time we will start trading without stock brokers never near too grin grin grin The two will tend to land at the same time grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 3:13pm On Feb 08, 2008
I am of the opinion that a bear run may have been triggered by thse insurance folks. Next week will confirm my fear.

I am still searching for hidden opportunities, one small price stock doing a slow reversal amid good fundamentals is catching my fancy, ha to mention am here will mean I may not see any to buy next week.
The fear of the deep pockets is the beginning of trading wisdom.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2008
Supposing the NSE scraps this 5% cap on rise and falls, how will it impact on the market, negative or positive?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ Pumping, Aktopgun, Invisible and all the gurus

Can someone explain to me why Standard Alliance is not moving like the other guys in the sector.

I checked the fundamentals are they look okay when compared to the others.

Any news wey I no know? Pls, help ooooo before I jump enter.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 3:23pm On Feb 08, 2008
pumping777:

TS will not chase everybody away from the insurance sector. Only those that care so much about TS. Anyway, the Insurance stock prices will soon offer permanent resistance as they continue to rise and folks compare it to their performance when they release interim results.

I know that (I said most of) but a lot of folks care about T.S especially the silent market makers and not so silent ones on this thread. In the interim while insurance sector is getting it's permanent resistance and all the T.S shebang has died, most folks will move their money elsewhere.

I suspect banking is one sure sector, so the N50 bar may soon tip over my own theory o.

Anway heard the stockbrokers are coming to the market.

AllenG:

Can someone explain to me why Standard Alliance is not moving like the other guys in the sector.

Any news wey I no know? Please, help ooooo before I jump enter.

I think it is on T.S
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:27pm On Feb 08, 2008
AllenG:

Any news wey I no know? Please, help ooooo before I jump enter.

Because it is on Technical Suspenion (TS) due to it's planned Public Offer. During this time, the price is frozen.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2008
dollyp1cute:

I know that (I said most of) but a lot of folks care about T.S especially the silent market makers and not so silent ones on this thread. In the interim while insurance sector is getting it's permanent resistance and all the T.S shebang has died, most folks will move their money elsewhere.

I suspect banking is one sure sector, so the N50 bar may soon tip over my own theory o.

Anway heard the stockbrokers are coming to the market.
I think it is on T.S

It never even occured to me but now that you mentioned it. If these stockbroking guys will make entrants as "penny" stocks (and remain that way for a while unlike Big Treat and the likes) this could be another money spinning sector.

That N50 bar will surely be shattered this year but I'm just wondering how long we have to wait sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.