Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,578 members, 7,854,470 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 06:09 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (644) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (819190 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (641) (642) (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 2:59pm On Mar 12, 2008
pumping777:

Anything you can make out of Unity Bank while it is gyrating, take. I can't figure out how this bank can make any serious move until they come out with their results. The expectation is that this will have to come out before their planned PO.

The only way the price of Unity Bank will shoot up is if they release a VERY BAD result, if their result happens to be IMPRESSIVE, their share price will nosedive to even N7 shocked That has been in the trend in the banking sector. Investors there are afraid of GOOD or IMPRESSIVE result tongue tongue tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mecatchcha: 3:00pm On Mar 12, 2008
@All,

Una don see say TransCorp closed on Net Bid today. Ebi like say we go hop unto that train. Na stocks without fundamentals dey represent now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 3:06pm On Mar 12, 2008
Mr. Risky:

The only way the price of Unity Bank will shoot up is if they release a VERY BAD result, if their result happens to be IMPRESSIVE, their share price will nosedive to even N7 shocked That has been in the trend in the banking sector. Investors there are afraid of GOOD or IMPRESSIVE result tongue tongue tongue
Not exactly: Its just that there are so many sides to the story in the banking sector.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by osazeet(m): 3:07pm On Mar 12, 2008
@ ALL INVESTOR,
              i,ve  discuss on TRANSCORP issue earlier on this thread, now the train is about leaving station, there is still hope, cue up now, it will be heading to  CANADA. it,s still very juicy for medium timers for their RIRO,CICO. The NSE magic is about happening to it now. Ndidi has never held nonsense, Transcorp will not be her problem either. She is about doing what she knows best to effect TRANSNATIONAL CORPERATION now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 3:09pm On Mar 12, 2008
Bear, Fear, Rear, Tear, Dear, Gear, Near  (All of them have EAR).  So draw your ears, in other words be CAUTIOUS.  Fear the Bear as it is Near Tearing its way from the Rear
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:15pm On Mar 12, 2008
Mr. Risky:

Bear, Fear, Rear, Tear, Dear, Gear, Near (All of them have EAR). So draw your ears, in other words be CAUTIOUS. Fear the Bear as it is Near Tearing its way from the Rear

Rule number one, don't panic.

Now for those holding stocks that they know nothing about, beware!!!!

For stocks still gaining, it is because they are not liquid hence not reacting to the laws of demand and supply. It is basically the major holders pumping the share price up!!

Make una cool temper. Na part of life. Prices must always come down!!!!

For those that are using school fees to do CICO, wetin una go do now. If you sell, money no go reach to pay school fees. If you no sell, no money to pay so wetin man pickin go do?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 3:25pm On Mar 12, 2008
wanaj0:

For stocks still gaining, it is because they are not liquid hence not reacting to the laws of demand and supply. It is basically the major holders pumping the share price up!!

For those that are using school fees to do CICO, wetin una go do now. If you sell, money no go reach to pay school fees. If you no sell, no money to pay so wetin man pickin go do?

aborrowing is the number one option!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by teto: 4:04pm On Mar 12, 2008
mecatchcha:

@All,

Una don see say TransCorp closed on Net Bid today. Ebi like say we go hop unto that train. Na stocks without fundamentals dey represent now.

hello all. thanks for educating those of us that still find this site informative. pls can anyone explain to me how to know if a stock closes on net bid or offer. since you only see the number of trades .so how do one differentiate if it is for demand or supply. thanks for your anwer
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 4:04pm On Mar 12, 2008
eniyanman:

@RoughCut,

1. It is conceivable that the portfolio could fall by more than 20%. Assume it has fallen by 19% and it falls another 5% and still no buyer, it could potentially lose more,

I made a specific reference to 20% because that is one of the requirements   for UBA Shareplus scheme. If your portfolio falls below 20% its not UBA's problem all they need to do is ask the borrower to return the loan so that way they recoup their capital. UBA charges 17% interest and i think 1 or 2%  management fee. If your portfolio falls by more than 20% it means their profit is disappearing fast and that's the reason they make sure the value of the portfolio in which their investment is does not fall below a certain threshold. If there's no buyer for the stocks in the portfolio UBA will not sell it all they are going to do is ask for the money they lent the borrower back so its the borrower's headache on how to liquidate the stock to recoup his money back

2. In the case highlighted above, the equity contribution only minimises the banks exposure. It doesn't eliminate it. Consider vis-a-vis negative equity.

Negative equity is not the bank's problem it is the borrower/investor's once the lender is not making the returns they expect because the value of the portfolio is such that it cannot pay the interest they are charging they will just recall their loan facility at least that way they preserve their capital which they have loaned in the first place and they continue to manage the portfolio for you so whether it drops 20 or 50% you can see it is the borrower's problem and not the lender

3. If it represents a large part of their profits, then I want to avoid investing in those banks. But as wanaj0 talk am, it's a small part of their profit.

Individual investors on the NSE who use margin facilty  are miniscule compared to other categories of investors. Let's face it the big players on the NSE are the Institutional investors, Hedge funds, Private equity outfits etc etc and of course the pension funds. Trust me the margin facilities by the banks represent an insignificant proportion of the banks' loan portfolio .

4. My reference to sub-prime is more with respect to the losses they (banks) could suffer and not regarding credit classification. Credit score no dey Nigeria now.

Losses arising from margin facilities will not dent the banks' profits and that cannot even happen because as i said earlier they will recall or recoup the facility as soon as the value of the  portfolio is below the threshold that can pay the interest on the loan
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 4:20pm On Mar 12, 2008
@PUMPING AND AKTOPGUN

ABEG ON VITAFOAM, I BOUGHT AT 10.
DO U SUGGEST I STILL HOLD OR SELL NOW THAT RESULTS ARE OUT.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 4:23pm On Mar 12, 2008
yodiyokun:
The bulls will soon return - hopefully in April.

Also this is why its always good to buy in a safe price zone - even if bears come , your capital will be intact.

[size=14pt]SUPER CORRECT[/size]

School fees season dey approach again oh. That na another temporary market sinker after Easter. Watch that time.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 4:24pm On Mar 12, 2008
Roughcut! Roughcut!! Roughcut!!! Na ow many tines I call you so? Cheesy

Make you no siddon look this one o. If you miss out on this one, na me go yab you pass for this forum o. I don talk my own finish be that. Make your own no come be like that of grabdaloot wey talk of ag leventis so-tay im forget to buy (grabdaloot no vex o Cheesy). Abi you wan become like the proverbial sign post wey dey show everi one the way without going anywhere imself? God forbid bad thing! Grin Grin

@WINDYWENDY

I DEY THINK TO SELL MY VITAFOAM TAKE D MONEY BUY ABC.
IS THIS SENSIBLE? WHICH TERM IS ABC BEST FOR? SHORT LONG OR MEDIUM.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adeyinkat: 4:30pm On Mar 12, 2008
teto:

hello all. thanks for educating those of us that  still find this site informative. please can anyone explain to me how to know if a stock closes on net bid or offer. since you only see the number of trades .so how do one differentiate if it is for demand or supply. thanks for your anwer

Some sites list the daily stock position (proshareng, uba, nigeriansecurities, meristem?? etc). You can get it from these sites.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 4:31pm On Mar 12, 2008
wanaj0:

Fof2 but you know say this na usual occurence so nothing BIG here. Fundamentally sound stocks go weather the storm and more buying opportunities

Those that bought out of panic will SELL out of panic also. No two way about that.

Why you no warn the disciples not to BUY BUY. This time is a HOLD!!!!! put your moeny under pillow.

If you get OandO, SELL quick!!!

That na true, my money no dey enter company wen no get YANSH .

Na only person wen no hiar word no go heed greediness warning.

Na operation FIRE for FIRE wen this falls don dey round up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 4:39pm On Mar 12, 2008
The onset of this bearish season serves to re-inforce the key lessons of CICO 101 we learnt, as we prepare to take the exams to move to CICO 201.

One of the key lessons I learnt and implemented (1) Avoid CICO with stocks you cannot do medium-to-long term with!

So even though my portfolio is reddish, its with stocks like NAscon,Presco that I am prepared to do long term with, and secondly na my own money, no be school fees or bank loan! cheesy wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 4:42pm On Mar 12, 2008
wanaj0:

I will borrow more, if the BULL comes again I will pay back with interest grin grin tongue tongue cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 4:43pm On Mar 12, 2008
Fof2 - glad to see you are back o cheesy cheesy
I was off - busy work schedule and customer meetings - so i am going back to read all entry,

But, my hears dey ground o - Insurance big boys dey move with caution, but the oil sector dey boom right now, abi how you take oju agba see am?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 4:43pm On Mar 12, 2008
wanaj0:

Could you please explain the PAR Value term, especially using IAA as an example. Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by endure: 4:44pm On Mar 12, 2008
See me see trouble o,

I placed a sell order on ABCTRANS after 106% Net profit for 2moro and my
stockbroker told me point blank he cant sell it.

When I asked him why, he cant keep quiet to watch his customer take a
wrong decision. He said I should wait that its goin to it N10. I magine that
crap of an excuse, I wanted to sell some so I can load more but this guy
the make me vex o. embarassed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by anietie01: 4:47pm On Mar 12, 2008
hey are you not tired of always running after employers? Let the employers run after you for a change. Post your CVs at Exood by clicking here: http://exood.com/jobs/index.php it afford the employers the chance to find you fast. Its purely Nigerian and is free. No registration charges.

And do you know that for the time you spend surfing the web, you can make $10 for each mail you read? Its no scam and it cost you nothing to start but your time. sign up for a free account by clicking the link here http://rolex-mails.com/pages/index.php?refid=martluther3 they pay you $250 for signing up and you get $10 each time they send you a mail and you actually read the mail and visit the sites. You don't get to pay nothing.

I just withdrew a $1000 dollars into my paypal account and i will testify that it is real. I joined four weeks ago. They both worked for me, Im sure it will work for you too.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:52pm On Mar 12, 2008
@ all

For NGC bonus is overdue but can not say if that will be declared. Current price already factor that in. The illiquid nature of the shares is helping the movement of the price. Good company though. Lost grounds in the traditional area but picking up gradually.

Beta Glass, don't know where the news about bonus is coming from. company that is just recovering. turnover is dwindling for a lot of reasons. Can't see the topline growth here.

NASCON, all hype. Nothing to show that they will deliver on promise. Where is the promised dividend on BCC? Not sure why people are believing this company. Thread with serious caution!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 4:56pm On Mar 12, 2008
wanaj0:

Candle no go show anything for that one.

BTW, I never BUY my own so no one should place order until I don BUY finish OOOO or else, na me go scatter this thread!!!!! Make person no mention one stock na so all the hawks go dey surround am.

Marshall he be like say this Thomas Wyatt no get volume o! I dey fear say this na another TransExpress and Redstar all rolled into one. Make he no be like say man dey hold on to straws.

I sold John Holt and the yeye  thing still dey rise. Na wa o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 4:57pm On Mar 12, 2008
Welcome to the Market of the Bears!

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 5:00pm On Mar 12, 2008
Now, we present onto you, our upcoming star! grin grin grin grin

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 5:01pm On Mar 12, 2008
@ Wanaj0,

I beg to disagree with you that the upside is limited(the exact same thing a broker told me @ the onset of 2007,he was proved wrong eventually
The NSE is a such a unique place;universal parameters and fundamentals that work in other climes don't always work here.Here more often than not,fundamentals go out the window.Whether a company declares a slim dividend(like oasis' 2k i not the issue. In months to come we will notice very unusual price appreciation in most of the stocks,BUT BY THEN WE WILL ALL BE TOO BUSY ENJOYING THE LOOT THAT NO ONE WOULD COMPLAIN)

That reminds me;how many stocks on the NSE are trading @ up to $1?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:01pm On Mar 12, 2008
FatherOF2:

That na true, my money no dey enter company when no get YANSH .

Na only person when no hiar word no go heed greediness warning.

Na operation FIRE for FIRE when this falls don dey round up.

[/quote

FoF2, but you no put caveat emptress all this while. folks no know say na to gather money to laubch attack one suppose dey do now. Most will be selling so both capital and spreadsheet money go disappear. So abeg, organise more sermon for your disciples before Aktopgun and co go et many visitors.

That said, buying opportunities just dey show up. If Diamond just go down small I know say na with full force you go use attack am.

As per your Okomu, softly softly I beg OOOO. Those stocks need a weather forecaster to use them do CICO.

eniyanman link=topic=31554.msg2049503#msg2049503 date=1205337107:

e be like say patron-saint Fo2 don convert. Caveat emptor

Lai lai. Problem be sey him disciples no get the full gist. Him dey use coded language and dem no fit decipher am. With all the CICO wey him dey do, there are boundaries. Added to that is the fact that his portfolio is structured in a defensive manner. Additionally, him fit keep money under pillow unlike peeps who must always buy once dem go market. Don't know why people can't just window shop!!!!

K2:

Could you please explain the PAR Value term, especially using IAA as an example. Thanks.

Most stocks on the NSE if not all are N0.50 share. That's why you hear of 50k ordinary shares selling @ XX Naira!!!

For IAA, the PP was for N2.00 ordinary share (that's the par value). So to get listed, they will do a 4 for 1 stock split to convert to N0.50 (50k) shares!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 5:04pm On Mar 12, 2008
gfg
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:11pm On Mar 12, 2008
RoughCut:

Marshall he be like say this Thomas Wyatt no get volume o! I dey fear say this na another TransExpress and Redstar all rolled into one. Make he no be like say man dey hold on to straws.

I sold John Holt and the yeye  thing still dey rise. Na wa o!

Just came off technical suspension so no volumes. Some agbero brokers warehoused the rights so dem fit sell. Such stocks will not make you a billionaire. But for those with small portfolio value, they can double their holdings within a short time.

Sure you made money on your John Holt. Though I suggested it, I did not BUY because it does not fit into my investment plan.

rasputinn:

@ Wanaj0,

I beg to disagree with you that the upside is limited(the exact same thing a broker told me @ the onset of 2007,he was proved wrong eventually
The NSE is a such a unique place;universal parameters and fundamentals that work in other climes don't always work here.Here more often than not,fundamentals go out the window.Whether a company declares a slim dividend(like oasis' 2k i not the issue. In months to come we will notice very unusual price appreciation in most of the stocks,BUT BY THEN WE WILL ALL BE TOO BUSY ENJOYING THE LOOT THAT NO ONE WOULD COMPLAIN)

That reminds me;how many stocks on the NSE are trading @ up to $1?

You don't need to beg to disagree with me.

If you've being in the market long enough, you will know the things that move the market. Most of the movements that you see are 'artificial'. Who are those buying and selling Dangote flour and jerking the price up by 5% veryday until recently? How did you think AP moved up to 300.00? Are you aware that WEMA bank was using its brokerage firms to buy its shares last year so as to jerk it up to 15.00 The figures will not tell you that but there are facts behind the figures.

You see, I bought NGC at 4.00, bought more at 12.65, now it is at 29.00. So some people expect it to move up to 60.00 Maybe!!!! The shareholding structure means that it is difficult for them to jerk it up. Shonekan will not sell. NSITF will not sell even if they though na block transaction.

BETA Glass, I bought a long tiem ago when it use to be 5.00. Suggested it again last year when it was between 12.00 - 14.00. So what will make it to reach 50.00? Do you know that their current level of profit is lower than the 2002 profit

A fool and his money is soon parted. That's what is happening on NSE. Gullible people are buying. When those jerking up teh price decides to cash out, most people will soon discover that they are buying dead companies!!!

Same with the NOSPETCo etc while people's testimony of making money was use as a confirmation of teh soundness of the business.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:13pm On Mar 12, 2008
Got offered Food Concept @ 4.40 today!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 5:16pm On Mar 12, 2008
@ Eniyanman

The gurus have given comprehensive replies to your queries.

I must advise that a lot of respected commentators have warned in the past year or so that the market is highly overvalued and that a correction is imminent. These include "Smart Investors" the magazine and Bismarck Rewane.

Mr Rewane, who is a major shareholder in one of the banks, specifically said that many of the banks are over-exposed in their loans for shares purchase. I believe that the figure that has been mentioned is as high as 40%. Don't know if this figure is correct but factor it into your consideration.

My take is that, thanks to EFCC and banks consolidation, the market will remain "overvalued" for a long time. In short, I don't expect any prolonged bear season for now. We are just seeing how rich Nigeria truly is. Long may it continue.

The key to stocks investing is never put more than you can have tied down for a long time in shares - sound companies, of course. Only a small fraction of my portfolio is for CICO.

Goodluck and don't panic!

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:17pm On Mar 12, 2008
wanaj0:

Just came off technical suspension so no volumes. Some agbero brokers warehoused the rights so them fit sell. Such stocks will not make you a billionaire. But for those with small portfolio value, they can double their holdings within a short time.

Sure you made money on your John Holt. Though I suggested it, I did not BUY because it does not fit into my investment plan.

I no go lie to you John Holt made me lotsa money just within 2 weeks i think embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:21pm On Mar 12, 2008
samstone4:

Mr Rewane, who is a major shareholder in one of the banks specifically said that many of the banks are over-exposed in their loans for shares purchase. I believe that the figure that has been mentioned is as high as 40%. Don't know if this figure is correct but factor it into your consideration.

I read an IBTC report that claimed margin facilities had reached N700b in 2007. At 15% interest, it must be contributing close to 100B to the topline for banks.

wanaj0:

Got offered Food Concept @ 4.40 today!!!!

Which one be food concepts? And is 4.40 a good deal?

(1) (2) (3) ... (641) (642) (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.