Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,669 members, 7,827,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (738) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815595 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (735) (736) (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by beginner: 4:41pm On Apr 10, 2008
fatherof 2

Does quarter 3 still mean anything with the change in accounting disclosure to Dec. Also are you still expectant on GTB - I am still in this one o.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by proflay: 4:48pm On Apr 10, 2008
lokwe:

Delisting of Moribund Stocks Imminent

Usually reliable sources have confirmed to us that subsequent to the Council meeting of the Nigerian stock Exchange on Monday this week, a list of stocks that have been subjected to the necessary due process for delisting may be announced anytime soon.

A cursory look at candidates for delisting suggest that stocks in the aviation and textile sectors may be affected. Some firms like Onwuka Hi-tek are expected to make the list as well as one of the firms which have been in the news lately.

We understand that one of the firms in the textile sector may be in the final stages of discussions/negotiations with a frontline entrepreneur and owner of a group of companies who have indicated interest in buying the company and turning it around. This could not come at a better time.

The list has an unconfirmed list of no less than 18 names, though it is expected that the announcements may be in batches.

It will be recalled that the Director General of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Dr. (Mrs.) Ndi Okereke-Onyuike had hinted as much at a parley with members of the capital market correspondents association.

Zinox set to list on the Nigerian Stock Exchange

Zinox, which recently recapitalised with over N3.5 billion and acquired Technology Distributions Limited and Task Systems to form a conglomerate; intends to approach the stock exchange for listing as a publicly quoted company.

SEC, NSE strategies to sanitise capital market
By Gbanga Agbana

ISSUES bordering on the sanitisation of the capital market formed the fulcrum of a Stakeholders Conference held among capital market operators last week in Lagos.

Most importantly, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), regulators of the capital market reiterated their commitments to work assiduously to promote the growth of the capital market, which is the barometre that measures the growth of the country's economy.

For instance, last week witnessed a truce between the two regulators on the suspension of trading on Afroil and Capital Oil Plc, thus putting paid to the speculation on the fact that the two regulators were at loggerheads on the issue.

SEC had issued a statement that the two companies have been suspended from trading, but the order was not carried out immediately by the stock exchange which encouraged stockbrokers to trade on the stock until last Thursday, when it was eventually put on full suspension.

Also, also week, the Nigerian Stock Exchange Director-General, Professor Ndi-Okereke Onyiuke promised investors that from January 2, 2008, the issue of issuance of share certificate would become history in the capital market, to minimise the problems associated with verification with registrars.

She also charged registrars to update their facilities, especially in the areas of IT infrastructures so that they can cope with the needs of recent initial public offerings, and allotment procedures.

SEC, on its part, according to its Deputy Director, and Senior Special Assistant to the Director-General, Mr. Bala Usman, reiterated SEC's commitment to go ahead with the non-going probe on the share price increase of some quoted companies would soon be concluded, adding that the commission is poised to sanitise the capital market to encourage investors.

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) had ordered the immediate suspension of trading in shares of Afroil Plc and Capital Oil Plc on the floors of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), with a view to protect the investing public.

By this directive, which was contained in a letter to the NSE, all stockbrokers are also directed not to deal in the shares of these two companies.

The decision of the Commission to order the suspension of trading on Afroil Plc and Capital Oil Plc was a fall out of the investigation recently conducted on these two companies, due to observed astronomical rise in the share prices and the fact that they were not in business, as there was no activity whatsoever in their premises.

The Commission has declared that the basis for continued trading and rise in the prices of their shares on the NSE no longer exists, adding that the investing public must not be deceived.

SEC therefore added that pursuant to its findings on the two companies and its mandate in protecting the investing public, trading in the stocks of the companies is suspended immediately.

Sequel to its statement of February 14, 2008 to the effect that investigation would be carried out on the unusual price movements in the shares of the two companies and others, the investigation was concluded with some findings that led to the suspension of the two companies.

For Afroil Plc, the Commission stated that the company accessed the capital market in 1993, through an Initial Public Offer (IPO) for subscription of 165 million ordinary shares of 20 kobo, at 40 kobo per share. The offer was undersubscribed by 42.26 per cent or 69.73 million shares, which were warehoused for subsequent disposal on the NSE.

The investigation of the company by SEC revealed that between 2001 and 2006, the company was wound up by a Federal High Court Lagos order, dated March 30, 2001 following its inability to pay its debts, pursuant to the provisions of the CAMA 1990. But the winding up order was vacated in March 2007, following the decision of KS Fund Managers Limited (one of the creditors) to take over the responsibility of paying other creditors, while the company is returned to KS Fund Managers. The warehoused shares of the company were in custody of the company's management.

The investigation also revealed that Afroil did not notify the Commission and the public of the development, while its shares remained quoted on the Stock Exchange and transactions were going on the shares.

The Commission found the sale of the company's warehoused shares within this period as quite anomalous, as it ceased to be a going concern between 2001 and June 2006 while it returned to going concern status on March 3, 2007. It added that by the winding up order, its shares should have been de-listed from the official list of the NSE, while the Commission could not establish any basis for the steady rise in the company's share price.

The Commission therefore noted the actions of the management of Afroil Plc as acts of insider dealing and price manipulation, and therefore a breach of Rule 110 of the Commission's Rules and Regulations. In addition the manner of the sale of the company's warehoused shares was a total breach of the provisions of Rule 70(2) of the Commission's Rule and Regulations, which states that warehoused shares be sold en-bloc, while the broker renders periodic reports on it.

The Commission observed that Capital Oil Plc has similar antecedents with Afroil Plc, except that no evidence was discovered to prove that it went into liquidation but the company was not in active operation and only occupies an obscure office accommodation in Ikeja, Lagos.

The commission, however, found that what triggered the volume of transactions in the company's shares was the sale by Five Star Asset Management Limited, of 38,708,520 shares of the company on the floor of the Exchange to APT Securities Limited, at the price of N1.39 and the securities firm subsequently did a cross deal of 70 million shares of the company at various prices, ranging from N3.53 and N11.68. The transactions were executed between December 12, 2007 and January 28, 2008. The sales were made to various clients.

However, the Commission noted that the chairman of Capital Oil Plc also sold 8.25 million of his holding, within the same period. "In view of the fact that the chairman of the company was an insider, he was quite in the picture of the company's situation and in fact knew that the prevailing share price is without rational basis and therefore unsustainable when he went ahead sell his holding."

The Commission therefore considers his action as an insider abuse, allegedly taken to minimise his loss and maximise his gains from the price surge, fully aware that the company is not in operation.

Further disciplinary action is being considered regarding individuals and organisations with established active role in this saga.

Generally, investments in stocks are done for specific purposes, which include expectations of returns in terms of dividends, bonus issues and earnings.

However, for some investors, it has been a sad tale since they have not benefited in any form from 61 of 216 listed equities on the Nigerian Stock Exchange in most cases in the last few years.

To informed shareholders, investors should not just buy-off the shelve, but they should consult their stockbrokers/dealers and investment advisers or at least other informed investors before investing in non-existent companies.

Without mincing words, for investors in 61 out of the companies quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, the story has not been palatable in the last few years in terms of returns on investment especially capital appreciation, dividend and bonus issues, and earnings per share.

Specifically, most of these companies have not submitted their result to the Nigerian Stock Exchange since 1986 or the 1990s, which is against the post-listing requirements of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Yet they have not given investors any returns.

Ironically, some of them have enjoyed capital appreciation in the last few months alongside other companies that have good track records, which have given adequate and prompt returns to investors. These companies suppose to submit their results every six months for emerging market companies and quarterly for first tier companies to the stock exchange.

The moribund companies, which have enjoyed tremendous capital appreciation, include Afrioil Plc, Liz Olofin Plc, and Capital Oil Plc among others.

Specially, the share price of Capital Oil Plc has risen so far this year from a low N5.42 to a high N17.50 before falling to N17.50, while that of Afroil Plc rose from N8.96 to N27.46 and that of Liz Olofin rose to N4.07 from a low N1.74, among others. Some of these moribund companies have even ceased to exist like Aboseldehyde Plc, among others.

The development had called for suspect by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), which began investigation in February into why some share prices were rising indiscriminately.

Specifically, the share price of African Petroleum Plc, Afroil Plc, Capital Oil Plc, IPWA Plc among others were being investigated and the result of SEC is still being awaited by operators and investors.

As at yesterday, the moribund companies included 13 in the emerging markets sub-sector and 48 in the first-tier sub-sector.

The companies include Afrik Pharmaceuticals Plc, Animo International Plc, Capital Oil Plc, Flexible Packaging Plc, Krabo Nigeria Plc, Newpak Plc, Rak Unity Petroleum Company Plc, Rokana Plc, Smart Products Nigeria Plc, Tropical Petroleum Plc, Udoefson Garment Plc, Union Ventures Plc, West African Aluminium Products Plc, among others, all in the second-tier market.

In the first-tier market, we have Okitipupa Oil Palm Plc, Incar Plc, Intra Motors Plc, Albarka Air Plc, Aviation Development Company Plc, Golden Guinea Breweries Plc, Premier Breweries Plc, Ceramic Manufacturers Plc, Nigeriacem Plc, IPWA Plc, Premier Paints Plc, Atlas Nigeria Plc, Hallmark Paper Products Plc, Arbico Plc, Interlinked Technologies Plc, Nigerian Wire & Cable Plc, Onwuka Hi-Tech Plc, Beverages West Africa Plc, Tate Industries Plc, UTC Plc, Daily Times Plc, Aba Textiles Plc among others.

Lamenting investors' plight, the President of the Association for the Advancement of the Right of Nigerian Shareholders (AARNS), Dr. Farouk Umar said: "Some people are just buying into the companies because they don't know about them. They like buying private placements sometimes, but they will have themselves to blame. People should always seek advice before buying into any stock, especially the ones they don't know very well or have much information about."

To Sunny Nwosu, the president of the Independent Shareholders Association of Nigeria (ISAN), some investors are buying into the companies because of the belief that they will bounce back someday.

He said: "The moribund companies are few. Before now, they were more than these. Some of them have bounced back. We believe that one day, one core investor will come in, buy them and turn them around."

The spokesperson of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), Mr. Sola Oni, shared the views of Nwosu. He explained that some investors are buying these stocks because they are cheap, and with the hope that if they should experience any turnaround, they will make their money.

His words: "Some investors prefer to buy these stocks into their portfolio in order to make money later. There is no were in the world where companies perform at the same level."

He continued: "Some investors prefer junk stock for other reasons, which included the fact that they are cheap; prospect for returns in future; expectation that they will ounce back like the case of Champion Breweries. Also the process of delistment is cumbersome."

Meanwhile, Oni explained that the stock exchange has set up a monitoring team to check the companies with a view of knowing what is wrong with them and the way out.

The way out of the problem, according to Farouk, is that investors should generally seek investment advise from stockbrokers and other experienced people before investing in any stock at all so that they won't buy into non-existent companies or those that will never give any return in the short-run or long run.

His words: "Investors should not buy shares off the shelve without seeking advise from experts and stockbrokers. Sometimes people are pennywise pound-foolish. They see a stock of N1 and buy it and leave that one of N50 with track record. It is better to buy that of N50 per unit like First Bank with track record and get returns. When you don't have results for many years, you may be hurting yourself. The moribund companies are not good for the market, because the moment the stocks crash, it will discourage people from investing in the market."

"Now banks are giving money to people to invest and they should invest wisely so as not to burn their fingers. The NSE and SEC should watch the stocks and see who is buying when stocks that are non-performing rise in price. The bandwagon effect will make stocks crash and have people lose money. We saw what happened in China and the United States. We don't pray for that here."

Source: www.guardiannewsngr.com (March 31, 2008)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by abelin78(m): 4:50pm On Apr 10, 2008
My good people in the house,can we see Bagco,the no of deals and the volumes?Who are the ones trading when we are yet to verify our certificates?Na wa for this NSE.Can one get to buy right now or is it business as usual? shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 4:56pm On Apr 10, 2008
FatherOF2:

Just keep your UBA. Enjoy the blessings and weather the storm.Its Q3 you should look out for.

As per your theory na there the action dey plus Q1 and FYE abi no be so?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lokwe(m): 4:59pm On Apr 10, 2008
abelin78:

My good people in the house,can we see Bagco,the no of deals and the volumes?Who are the ones trading when we are yet to verify our certificates?Na wa for this NSE.Can one get to buy right now or is it business as usual? shocked

My brother no mind them, they are begining to incorporate the naija factor into the NSE
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 4:59pm On Apr 10, 2008
beginner:

fatherof 2

Does quarter 3 still mean anything with the change in accounting disclosure to Dec. Also are you still expectant on GTB - I am still in this one o.

Q3 never fail me since i start oh. More accurate valuations are made wen Q3 is released. Yes i'm still on GTB.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:00pm On Apr 10, 2008
Seun:

You guys are the best kiss

Seun,

Na you we see so without collecting VISA.

It is a good day ooooo.

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:01pm On Apr 10, 2008
RoughCut:

As per your theory na there the action dey plus Q1 and FYE abi no be so?

Na so my brother, no need to tie down money until wen necessary.
How you dey. Longtime?.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:02pm On Apr 10, 2008
Baba Ibeji,

I too get money on ground-- wetin woman fit buy.

I never check todays price list , but you recent theories dey give me pause to think.

I just hope all this Banks will not start releasing results all together - they go spoil show.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:13pm On Apr 10, 2008
yodiyokun:

Baba Ibeji,

I too get money on ground-- wetin woman fit buy.

I never check todays price list , but you recent theories dey give me pause to think.

I just hope all this Banks will not start releasing results all together - they go spoil show.

Me i need to sitdown look who dey ground oh. As d day goes we go find them.

We need to see everybody for loosers chart today.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AbuMaryam1(m): 5:18pm On Apr 10, 2008
@ father of2
chei u dont predict dis thing to me c ENTL no way to go again. The first time i became defiant to u. Wetn man go do? The week has come to an end. Whats ur take on Johnholt,
secondl, am tired of my Diamond bank, with the rumours of the result coming out this month. Ist wise to sell? Already am in green but didnt reach my exit target.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by harrisoft(m): 5:20pm On Apr 10, 2008
FatherOf2 pls talk to Seun o, he is messing things up ooo, i don't think he is worth it.
i am out with pain and tears

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-126141.64.html
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:23pm On Apr 10, 2008
harrisoft:

FatherOf2 please talk to Seun o, he is messing things up ooo, i don't think he is worth it.
i am out with pain and tears

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-126141.64.html

Wetin dey happen, nothing show oh. Na error i see.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lokwe(m): 5:25pm On Apr 10, 2008
FatherOF2:

Wetin dey happen, nothing show oh. Na error i see.
Almighty Seun Osewa has removed the thread
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:27pm On Apr 10, 2008
FatherOF2:

Na so my brother, no need to tie down money until when necessary.
How you dey. Longtime?.

I dey kampe. As u don sabi i dey the new fatherland abi wetin man go do?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:29pm On Apr 10, 2008
Abu-Maryam:

@ father of2
chei u don't predict this thing to me c ENTL no way to go again. The first time i became defiant to u. Wetn man go do? The week has come to an end. Whats your take on Johnholt,
secondl, am tired of my Diamond bank, with the rumours of the result coming out this month. Ist wise to sell? Already am in green but didnt reach my exit target.

Eh ya sorry again that you missed Eterna, But don't near JohnHolt yet. They wanted to intercept the free fall. But this small rise is short lived.
You can bring out your[b] Arabian Sword [/b] to piece its heart after another 1week or more.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:30pm On Apr 10, 2008
RoughCut:

I dey kampe. As u don sabi i dey the new fatherland abi wetin man go do?

I understand sha. I dey miss una.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:32pm On Apr 10, 2008
FatherOF2:

Eh ya sorry again that you missed Eterna, But don't near JohnHolt yet. They wanted to intercept the free fall. But this small rise is short lived.
You can bring out your[b] Arabian Sword [/b] to piece its heart after another 1week or more.
He be like say you don spy my analysis on John Holt for the fatherland before you come post. I hope say people no go make mistake of diving in head first sha! Infact i don't see that temporary spike going pass this week
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by springsss: 5:38pm On Apr 10, 2008
lokwe:

Almighty Seun Osewa has removed the thread
This Seun guy has been threatening our gurus and veterans with a 'ban'. In fact he has banned a number of the gurus from this forum either because they challenged him or tried to make useful suggestions to him. At the rate he's going this thread will wind to a halt soon when everyone migrate to other fora. The guy needs to polish up his attitude quite a bit. He forgets that Nairaland is global medium and not a 'local village meeting' setting where people intimidate each other.

Seun, you disenchant most folks here. Do not disenfranchise members of this thread any further otherwise I predict a mass exodus. Baba Ibeji is the only guru who has both feet in here; most have one foot out the door already. You can ban me too after this post!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lokwe(m): 5:53pm On Apr 10, 2008
@springsss
hmnnnnnnnn, ur 1st post. are u a silient reader or madam yodi?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by springsss: 6:01pm On Apr 10, 2008
lokwe:

@springsss
hmnnnnnnnn, your 1st post. are u a silient reader or madam yodi?

Neither of the above. I could no longer log in with my previous user name. Because I dey vex, I hit CAPS LOCK key and locked out my account when I was trying to log in.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by olat(m): 6:09pm On Apr 10, 2008
Market rumours have it that GTB might be doing 1 for 14 and 40k dividend. Not yet confirm though but you can think of something around that region.

Is anybody interested in NADINA Very short notice.

@springsss,

Please take it easy ooo. Seun na Di MAN ooo.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 6:23pm On Apr 10, 2008
I guess it is too late for newcomers to join heeeeeeeei

If it is not, say something.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 6:34pm On Apr 10, 2008
springsss:

Neither of the above. I could no longer log in with my previous user name. Because I dey vex, I hit CAPS LOCK key and locked out my account when I was trying to log in.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cj2008: 6:41pm On Apr 10, 2008
Mobil nawahoo,hw u go mk loss then km gv bonus.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cj2008: 6:49pm On Apr 10, 2008
results,results,result,no bull,na zig zag movement mkt dey experience
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2008
cj2008:

Mobil nawahoo,hw u go mk loss then km gv bonus.

Mobil did not make a loss just a drop in profit.

Bonus is chaper for thos high cap stocks at least for teh short term. Also there is no cash out!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by udus2geez: 7:22pm On Apr 10, 2008
FATHER OF PLENTY PLS WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT CCNN IS THE PRICE RIGHT FOR ENTRY FOR SAY A CICO, ANY GURU IN THE HOUSE PLS ADVISE
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by IykeD1(m): 8:40pm On Apr 10, 2008
Is it just me or what? I can't get used to the new site with all the graphics people
are using as signatures and what not - its just too loud (almost juvenile). With this
site you can read while at work, but the new site is screaming "notice me - I am
playing at work
"!

I am not sure I knew exactly what created the mass exodus. I suppose some people
got carried away and forgot that this was no public property. Nigerians! - Its like
we are allergic to anything good.

Wanaoj thanks for sticking around, save for you and a few others, I would have
finally cured by Nairaland habits. Oh well.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 10:12pm On Apr 10, 2008
good evening all. watch out for skye, expect a 21 naira hinge b4 it drops back. yuidyokun, have you receivd ur UBA certs. i neva verify oooo
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 10:54pm On Apr 10, 2008
shigidi:

good evening all. watch out for skye, expect a 21 naira hinge before it drops back. yuidyokun, have you receivd your UBA certs. i never verify oooo

I don receive - I never verify as well. I am thinking of drafting it in my longterm portfolio
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gabza: 12:45am On Apr 11, 2008
--

(1) (2) (3) ... (735) (736) (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.