Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,328 members, 7,811,966 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! (3765 Views)

Igbos Most Industrious, Innovative and Richest Tribe In Africa see proof / Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa / Umahi Storms Benue With Obasanjo On Bid To Boost Food Production (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 4:48pm On Jun 14, 2016
It's a sad thing when you listen to people lament about the cost of a bag of Thailand rice which I learnt about 18,000 naira. I quickly did a research on the population of Thailand and discovered Thailand is just 67 million people and I wonder 180 million people are being fed by just 67 million people? Oh what a shame!

The Sultan of Sokoto decried the ban on the importation of rice from this tiny country to feed the 'giant of Africa', oh what a disgrace. Nigeria has no business importing food with the population we have. If we are indeed industrious, with the population, we should have enough to export to other countries and not import.

It saddens me that a country of 180 million people with a large land mass still beg for food from tiny nations; we import, rice, frozen chicken, frozen fish, onions and even tomato paste! Why can't people be more industrious in farming? Why should smaller nations be feeding us while we cry to the government for food?

People need to be more industrious at least let us feed ourselves well! I'm sick and tired of this rice dey cost, there's no food, it's just a sign of laziness on the part of Nigerians!

Wake up people and cultivate your land, raise animals and feed yourselves, STOP BEING LAZY.

BLAME IS A LAZY MAN'S GAME! Stop blaming the government for your laziness!

Modified:

Mr lalatisclacla. grin push this to FP for discussion, I know most youths don't like thread like this tongue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by persius555(m): 5:14pm On Jun 14, 2016
I just came out of an agricultural conference. Believe me, there are too many bottleneck and red flags in our sector that stifles agricultural investments. To start, take a look at the agricultural policy of these countries and compare to ours and you would realise quickly why we cant have a viable agricultural sector. I am not sure if these policies are there by intent or the policy makers are ignorant of what the challenges are.

God save this country!!!

3 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 14, 2016
true

2 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 5:25pm On Jun 14, 2016
persius555:
I just came out of an agricultural conference. Believe me, there are too many bottleneck and red flags in our sector that stifles agricultural investments. To start, take a look at the agricultural policy of these countries and compare to ours and you would realise quickly why we cant have a viable agricultural sector. I am not sure if these policies are there by intent or the policy makers are ignorant of what the challenges are.

God save this country!!!
Nice, I'll be interested to know some of those bottlenecks because I feel ashamed that Nigeria is still hungry and importing the food she eats with such a large population and land mass!

We should be food sufficient at least! sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by Slikbae: 5:46pm On Jun 14, 2016
oo
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by cindybella101(f): 5:58pm On Jun 14, 2016
First tell our President to caution his brothers( herdsmen) that are destroying the small we are planting. Thanks

6 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 6:07pm On Jun 14, 2016
cindybella101:
First tell our President to caution his brothers( herdsmen) that are destroying the small we are planting. Thanks
I don't think you have a farm that's why you want to politicise it, and if you do, that issue is being looked at but what happens when the herdsmen stop destroying the farms is what will prove how industrious you are!

Blame is a lazy man's game be careful!

2 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by oganology33(m): 6:12pm On Jun 14, 2016
Past govt hasn't done enof 2 attarct ppl 2 Agriculture. Present govt is even worse in the agric sector. The Govt nids 2 make the agric sector more attractive 4 young Nigerians.

If the govt reduces the beaurocracy involved in acquiring Fertilizers, pesticides as well as loans 4 young ppl. Another issue is protection of young farmers from large Farm bullies.

Our leaders are deliberately short-sighted. Can u imagine dat Agriculture can solve most of our major economic problems such as Unemployment, diversification, low GDP, Crash in naira, crime rate(militancy/insurgency, etc but our govts have bin 2 lazy 2 work towards it.

Little wonder y Mr. President took over the Ministry of Pet. instead of Agriculture
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by cindybella101(f): 6:17pm On Jun 14, 2016
thomasthomas:
I don't think you have a farm that's why you want to politicise it, and if you do, that issue is being looked at but what happens when the herdsmen stop destroying the farms is what will prove how industrious you are!

Blame is a lazy man's game be careful!
Everybody in Nigeria cannot be a farmer or own a farm and secondly there is nothing to politicize here cos you can't tell me the activities of the murderous herdsmen is not affecting our farm produce. Go to Benue state and see how cows destroy peoples farm produce and you are here talking about industrious, how can you tell someone to be industrious when the few that are industrious are being killed on a daily basis ? You can't compare our last year farm production to thus year can you ? So now think about it and tell me the cause of the scarcity in a space of less than one year. Thanks

6 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 6:43pm On Jun 14, 2016
cindybella101:

Everybody in Nigeria cannot be a farmer or own a farm and secondly there is nothing to politicize here cos you can't tell me the activities of the murderous herdsmen is not affecting our farm produce. Go to Benue state and see how cows destroy peoples farm produce and you are here talking about industrious, how can you tell someone to be industrious when the few that are industrious are being killed on a daily basis ? You can't compare our last year farm production to thus year can you ? So now think about it and tell me the cause of the scarcity in a space of less than one year. Thanks
Why can't everybody be a farmer in Nigeria? It's not an impossibility tho. You don't need a large farm to be a farmer. You can plant waterleaf around the house even in containers.

Besides you can't use one event to generalise, Nigeria has 36 states plus FCT so if we are having problems now with one state how about the other 35? Also Benue has other LGAs that are not affected. Do we have herdsmen destroying farms too in those states and LGAs? Wired fence is not too expensive to build for around your farm to keep animals away.

To escape hunger is not through blame, everyone needs to work hard and be industrious.

I still say again, blame is a lazy man's game!

2 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 6:49pm On Jun 14, 2016
oganology33:
Past govt hasn't done enof 2 attarct ppl 2 Agriculture. Present govt is even worse in the agric sector. The Govt nids 2 make the agric sector more attractive 4 young Nigerians.

If the govt reduces the beaurocracy involved in acquiring Fertilizers, pesticides as well as loans 4 young ppl. Another issue is protection of young farmers from large Farm bullies.

Our leaders are deliberately short-sighted. Can u imagine dat Agriculture can solve most of our major economic problems such as Unemployment, diversification, low GDP, Crash in naira, crime rate(militancy/insurgency, etc but our govts have bin 2 lazy 2 work towards it.

Little wonder y Mr. President took over the Ministry of Pet. instead of Agriculture
When you mention government always take note of the three tiers! What are the states and Locak Government doing about agriculture? It's difficult to the government at the Center to manage everything that's why there are Local Governments.

It should be everyone's business!

3 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by ckmayoca: 7:15pm On Jun 14, 2016
Na vex the thomasthomas guy carry come NL this evening oh. You carry rice do example but we can't all plant rice. Those willing to go into large scale farmining don't av access to machinery so do you have a way to assist them our new agric minister @thomasthomas
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by cindybella101(f): 7:18pm On Jun 14, 2016
thomasthomas:
Why can't everybody be a farmer in Nigeria? It's not an impossibility tho. You don't need a large farm to be a farmer. You can plant waterleaf around the house even in containers.

Besides you can't use one event to generalise, Nigeria has 36 states plus FCT so if we are having problems now with one state how about the other 35? Also Benue has other LGAs that are not affected. Do we have herdsmen destroying farms too in those states and LGAs? Wired fence is not too expensive to build for around your farm to keep animals away.

To escape hunger is not through blame, everyone needs to work hard and be industrious.

I use Benue state as an example or you don't read in the news how many states the murderous herdsmen use to attack ? In my family we don't buy bitter leaf or chicken cos we have a farm and poultry that meet our immediate needs so at least I am a bit industrious cool and once again I am still saying in a country everybody cannot be a farmer. The destruction of farmlands for cow grazing is a major problem. If you go to Benue(using it as example cos I have lived there) many people don't go to farm again cos of fear, just as their governor was complaining last month how they destroy his large rice farm and olu falea also complained of how they killed his farm guard and destroy part of his farm so can't you its a major problem. When I was schooling in Benue state(last three years) the big tubers of yam and potatoes I bought l couldn't finish for a full two semesters cos they are very big and very cheap, now go back to the same Benue state now and see them selling a yam they would have normally sold at #1000 selling for #2500 can you see now that the activities of the murderous herdsmen is a major problem ?

2 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 7:20pm On Jun 14, 2016
ckmayoca:
Na vex the thomasthomas guy carry come NL this evening oh. You carry rice do example but we can't all plant rice. Those willing to go into large scale farmining don't av access to machinery so do you have a way to assist them our new agric minister @thomasthomas
If I have the wherewithal I will feed Nigerians with rice so they won't go begging Thailand for rice grin grin grin. When I made my point, I said Nigerians both government and individuals. Government including Federal, State and Local.

We need to be industrious as a nation! Just imagine the embarrassment if Thailand says they won't give us rice again grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by mikolo80: 7:21pm On Jun 14, 2016
persius555:

God save this country!!!
God will not do anythin
He has done 99%
The remaining 1% is up to us

Mention 3 bottlenecks
You're waiting for policy ba
You think Agric is by conference

You better enter farm

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by mikolo80: 7:23pm On Jun 14, 2016
oganology33:
'[b]
Did govt make oil banking or Telecom sector attractive

[/b]If the govt reduces the beaurocracy involved in acquiring Fertilizers, pesticides as well as loans 4 young ppl. Another issue is protection of young farmers from large Farm bullies.
[b]
What bureaucrac
Fertiliser is sold in open market
Must you collect loan to enter farm
Did your forefathers take loan bfor farming

[/b]Our leaders are deliberately short-sighted. Can u imagine dat Agriculture can solve most of our major economic problems such as Unemployment, diversification, low GDP, Crash in naira, crime rate(militancy/insurgency, etc but our govts have bin 2 lazy 2 work towards it.
[b]
Yet you would rather work in she'll than on the farm

[/b]Little wonder y Mr. President took over the Ministry of Pet. instead of Agriculture
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by mikolo80: 7:25pm On Jun 14, 2016
cindybella101:

Imo women chased boys away with dry pepper. Natural pesticide.
If they trample your farm you seize their cows.
If your husband is a coward that's your fault and you deserve to be killed
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 7:26pm On Jun 14, 2016
cindybella101:

I use Benue state as an example or you don't read in the news how many states the murderous herdsmen use to attack ? In my family we don't buy bitter leaf or chicken cos we have a farm and poultry that meet our immediate needs so at least I am a bit industrious cool and once again I am still saying in a country everybody cannot be a farmer. The destruction of farmlands for cow grazing is a major problem. If you go to Benue(using it as example cos I have lived there) many people don't go to farm again cos of fear, just as their governor was complaining last month how they destroy his large rice farm and olu falea also complained of how they killed his farm guard and destroy part of his farm so can't you its a major problem. When I was schooling in Benue state(last three years) the big tubers of yam and potatoes I bought l couldn't finish for a full two semesters cos they are very big and very cheap, now go back to the same Benue state now and see them selling a yam they would have normally sold at #1000 selling for #2500 can you see now that the activities of the murderous herdsmen is a major problem ?
That's very good of you! I also sympathise with the farmers that are affected by the herdsmen. When Nigeria faces an issue I always want the issue to be tackled without politicising it.

The activities of the herdsmen affect food supply and so should be curtailed! But that's not withstanding other states and not producing as enough food as they should. Benue is the food basket of the nation. What are other states doing? The issue will soon be resolved as so everyone needs to be industrious else we will keep crying for food to eat while we have a fertile land uncultivated.
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 7:27pm On Jun 14, 2016
mikolo80:

God will not do anythin
He has done 99%
The remaining 1% is up to us

Mention 3 bottlenecks
You're waiting for policy ba
You think Agric is by conference

You better enter farm
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by mikolo80: 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2016
ckmayoca:

How much is tractor
500 k to 5 mill to 50 mill

Do ppl prefer to buy second starlet, evil spirit or Bugatti instead of tractors.
Everyone can invest in farming through the stock exchange.
Forget everybody, what about the 100 million farmers.
What are the using their association dues for.
1,1 thousand is 100 billion for tractors.
What's your next excuse
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by keally: 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2016
thomasthomas:
It's a sad thing when you listen to people lament about the cost of a bag of Thailand rice which I learnt about 18,000 naira. I quickly did a research on the population of Thailand and discovered Thailand is just 67 million people and I wonder 180 million people are being fed by just 67 million people? Oh what a shame!

The Sultan of Sokoto decried the ban on the importation of rice from this tiny country to feed the 'giant of Africa', oh what a disgrace. Nigeria has no business importing food with the population we have. If we are indeed industrious, with the population, we should have enough to export to other countries and not import.

It saddens me that a country of 180 million people with a large land mass still beg for food from tiny nations; we import, rice, frozen chicken, frozen fish, onions and even tomato paste! Why can't people be more industrious in farming? Why should smaller nations be feeding us while we cry to the government for food?

People need to be more industrious at least let us feed ourselves well! I'm sick and tired of this rice dey cost, there's no food, it's just a sign of laziness on the part of Nigerians!

Wake up people and cultivate your land, raise animals and feed yourselves, STOP BEING LAZY.

BLAME IS A LAZY MAN'S GAME! Stop blaming the government for your laziness!
. Stop playing the ostrich,talking as if you are hiding something. How much was a bag of rice last year? N7000, isn't it. Don't you know how Buhari's kinsmen, the herdsmen have succeeded in driving farmers away from farms nationwide, or are you pretending?buhariisadisaster#

1 Like

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by mikolo80: 7:32pm On Jun 14, 2016
thomasthomas:

see you better leave these ppl.
They were taught to complain from primary school to university
It's not easy to de program that moulded thinking with mouth.
We have to go in an lay example.
Jesus simply turned wine into water,raise people from the dead, sighted the blind and shared bread and sandine. If not all you're saying is grammar

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by ckmayoca: 7:35pm On Jun 14, 2016
mikolo80:

How much is tractor
500 k to 5 mill to 50 mill

Do ppl prefer to buy second starlet, evil spirit or Bugatti instead of tractors.
Everyone can invest in farming through the stock exchange.
Forget everybody, what about the 100 million farmers.
What are the using their association dues for.
1,1 thousand is 100 billion for tractors.
What's your next excuse

If am working and getting paid why must go on buying tractor or renting cos I want to do another person job called farming?
Let another I idle person handle that so this means every busy person can't go into farming. Gov shld make it easy for the ppl into it and willing to go into it.

2 Likes

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by Standing5(m): 7:36pm On Jun 14, 2016
cindybella101:

I think cattles should be completely banned in Benue, plateau, Ebonyi atleast. They are our food baskets states and the FG shld be able to ban cattles there if it can think of creating reserve areas for cows.
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by cindybella101(f): 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2016
thomasthomas:
That's very good of you! I also sympathise with the farmers that are affected by the herdsmen. When Nigeria faces an issue I always want the issue to be tackled without politicising it.

The activities of the herdsmen affect food supply and so should be curtailed! But that's not withstanding other states and not producing as enough food as they should. Benue is the food basket of the nation. What are other states doing? The issue will soon be resolved as so everyone needs to be industrious else we will keep crying for food to eat while we have a fertile land uncultivated.
There are many states that are doing well in terns of agriculture, states like Benue, taraba, nasarawa, Ebonyi, anambra, bauchi, osun and Ogun e.t.c they just need to be empowered by their respective government and watch as we stop complaining of high cost of food. Our overdependence one oil has taken away most of the sense of our politicians, they are only concerned on how to share the oil money. And lastly, about your post, the activities of those murderous herdsmen does not hamper food supply rather it deals negatively with food production cos nobody is producing/planting anything talk more of supplying.

Shalom cool
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by ckmayoca: 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2016
thomasthomas:
If I have the wherewithal I will feed Nigerians with rice so they won't go begging Thailand for rice grin grin grin. When I made my point, I said Nigerians both government and individuals. Government including Federal, State and Local.

We need to be industrious as a nation! Just imagine the embarrassment if Thailand says they won't give us rice again grin grin grin

Lol if they don't sell to us then we chop abakaliki own.
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by mrvitalis(m): 7:38pm On Jun 14, 2016
Farming is very vibrant in the West more than any other region
I abuse Yorubas but go to the west u will see alot of people owing great farm lands with technology input
The south south is the worst, imagine I approached NIGER DELTA River basin for farm lands for lease and they boldly told me they have sold all there lands
To rent an hectare In Rivers State is around 40k to 100k but in oyo, Ogun or Osun it goes for 5k - 15k
State government need to do more
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 7:38pm On Jun 14, 2016
keally:
. Stop playing the ostrich,talking as if you are hiding something. How much was a bag of rice last year? N7000, isn't it. Don't you know how Buhari's kinsmen, the herdsmen have succeeded in driving farmers away from farms nationwide, or are you pretending?buhariisadisaster#
rice 7000 naira where? What kilo?

The problem is we politicise everything. How does herdsmen destroying crops got to do with the President? Did he send them to destroy the crops. Besides how can you say rice was 7000 naira last year as if Nigeria cultivated it. The price difference has nothing to do with the herdsmen because Thailand rice is not grown in Nigeria they are imported. You now paying 18000 including cost of importation from Thailand oh what a shame!

It simple shows that you have no choice so whatever price you are given to buy that's what you buy since you've decided not to be industrious. You are at the mercy of others grin grin

Please don't mislead people.

1 Like

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by thomasthomas: 7:42pm On Jun 14, 2016
mikolo80:
Jesus simply turned wine into water,raise people from the dead, sighted the blind and shared bread and sandine. If not all you're saying is grammar
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerians complain too much even little issues they can handle themselves.
Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by mikolo80: 7:48pm On Jun 14, 2016
thomasthomas:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerians complain too much even little issues they can handle themselves.
Wetin concine me
More billions for me
I'm eyeing the 600 billion wheat market
To hell with any Nigerian who doesn't want in

1 Like

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by Standing5(m): 7:48pm On Jun 14, 2016
mikolo80:
You this drug addict, you are here again spewing vile trash.
People don't just complain dude. They do for a reason.
How do you expect the farmer to overcome challenges of road/transportation,
storage,
processing(e.g tomato into tomato paste or corn into corn flakes),
water supply and irrigation,
deseases and pest issues,
herdsmen issues, exportation standard and exportation bottlenecks of officials want their palms greased before allowing perishable produce out?

1 Like

Re: Food Production: Nigerians Are Not Industrious! by cindybella101(f): 7:50pm On Jun 14, 2016
Standing5:
I think cattles should be completely banned in Benue, plateau, Ebonyi atleast. They are our food baskets states and the FG shld be able to ban cattles there if it can think of creating reserve areas for cows.
Lol, you can't ban cattle's, what needs to be banned is the nomadic nature of the herdsmen with their cattle's atleast we still eat meat, they should rather embrace private ranching. Or will you feel happy when your eat your mother/wife jollof rice without meat or imagine egusi soup or banga soup without beef ? cool My dad will tell you to finish it yourself cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kanu's Life Threatened, Evidences Emerge / Oby Ezekwesili Calls Out The Nairaland Community On Twitter (pics) / Igbo Man Disgraces The Entire Igbo Race On An African American Youtube Channel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.