Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,953 members, 7,838,399 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? (4334 Views)

It Has Started: Boko Haram Now Being Reformed As Good Guys By The CIA / Tambuwal Suit: Court Directs That The IG Of Police Be Put On Notice Properly / Must The Nigerian Police Be Bribed For Everything? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Beaf: 11:15pm On Aug 30, 2009
^They are civilians.
The only difference is they carry guns and fight for corruption.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ocelot2006(m): 11:52pm On Aug 30, 2009
I will be lying if I said that there aren't a lot of issues with the police force. But I strongly believe that this force (which happens to be as old as most of the armed forces, and the parent unit of all the intelligence agencies) can be reformed. This must include the weeding out of bad eggs/corrupt officers. Any reform must also include an improvement in the pay package of officers, NCO and the rank-and-file; constables are paid peanuts and it can't even take them or their families thru a single day. these men and women risk their lives every single day, so it's only fair and imperative that the federal govt takes good care of them.

Further improvements must include the refurbishment of all police colleges and the academies, improved training doctrines, provision of adequate equipment to enforce the law. There's also a need for the police force to improve on programs that were designed the relationship btw the force and civilians (public relations).

Finally, we Nigerians have to play our own part in appreciating and supporting the police force. Whether you believe it or not, these men and women are always out there everyday to protect us, and some have paid the ultimate price. Thus a little support (and constructive criticisms) from us Nigerians will also help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Olong(m): 11:55pm On Aug 30, 2009
Nothing is irredeemable, if u put ur mind 2 it
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ocelot2006(m): 11:58pm On Aug 30, 2009
the Nigeria Police Force is NOT a civilian establishment but rather a PARAMILITARY force created to preserve law and order and uphold the law. Police men and women (officers, NCOs, and rank-and-files) are NOT civilians.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Jaybee2412(m): 12:26am On Aug 31, 2009
ocelot2006:

the Nigeria Police Force is NOT a civilian establishment but rather a PARAMILITARY force created to preserve law and order and uphold the law. Police men and women (officers, NCOs, and rank-and-files) are NOT civilians.

What exactly do you mean? Does that make them unaccountable for their actions?
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ocelot2006(m): 1:06am On Aug 31, 2009
@ jaybee2412, my second post was in response to those made by beaf and chenss. Classifying the police force is simply wrong. That said, like every institution, be it military, paramilitary, or civilian, ought to be accountable for their actions. This includes the police Force.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Beaf: 1:31am On Aug 31, 2009
^You are right, they are paramilitary units. I considered only the armed forces in my earlier reply.

My bad.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Jaybee2412(m): 2:02am On Aug 31, 2009
holymike47:

Some of my friends went to a hotel in benin to drink. meanwhile there was a guest lodging in the hotel that snatched a car from warri. The police from warri were able to trace the car to the hotel maybe because the car has GPS service. Intially, wen they got to the hotel and seeing the car, they called the nearest police station in benin and they came with about 3 vans, they packed everybody in the hotel, all the guest and the people drinking in the bar to the policestation. Finally the guy that snatched the car was identified, he was in posession of some things in the car and even the car owner rightly identified him. the police from warri now took him away and ordered the DPO of that police station to release the other guys(about 15-18). After those police left, the fucking DPO said they have to do further verification and ordered for the detantion of the guys, they were beaten with cutlass and slept the cell, the following day, they have to bail each with #7,000.

This really pained me, by the way where does the money for bailing go to because its boldly engraved in all policestation that Bail is free and we should not pay for it.

So obviously your rights had been violated, what are going to do about it? Nothing. This is the problem 140 million Nigerians are facing everyday. This cannot go on any more; where is the rule of law, Akiyunli and Yar Ardua take note.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by D1KeleVra(m): 2:41am On Aug 31, 2009
I think it has no'n to do with these punk-ass police officers grin I like the site tho! What I'd like to see is a list of the owners n major shareholders of the Nigerian Banks smiley
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by dinggle: 3:25am On Aug 31, 2009
@nolongting @holymike47
I agree with both of you we are now in the digital age and instead of our usual sitdon look style, we can all make a difference, lets refuse to accept the norm!, Everyone should get a spy cam and start recording the cops any where you find them on road block, you are to note their vehicle number and the date you recorded it and then lets upload it on youtube and send a copy anonymously to the local tv stations apart from NTA, best of all goto www.ireport.com and upload it, CNN will bring it in front of YARADUA and MADAM REBRAND. It is time for us to also check and expose the Nigeria police, politicians and govt officials to the world, so that they too can be man handled as the thievies they are, when they arrive foreign airports. Madam rebrand knows what she experience from immigration in chicago, As long as the govt wanna keep embarassing us at home lets also embarass them oversea by telling the true Nigerian story to the world and not the rebranded one! if done the videos will embarass both the Nigerian police, political class and Yaradua and they will be forced to act. There are different type of spy cam get a spy cam that best suit the purpose. We dont know the potentials of the internet and how we can individually use it to change Nigeria, We allow the Federal govt to sell cake to the world, now its time for us to show the world the real deal. Ensure you dont use ur phone to record except you are at a safe location.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by otokx(m): 3:49am On Aug 31, 2009
The Nigerian police needs no reformation; it is the Nigerians themselves that need it. The police force is only a reflection of the moral decadence in the general Nigerian society.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by topup: 4:01am On Aug 31, 2009
If the EFCC 'works' then I think that may encourage the crackdown on the police force. But who will be doing this crackdown?? A new special team to sort out the police??
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by davidif: 4:32am On Aug 31, 2009
It is impossible for the nigerian police to be reformed.The police system is corrupt from the top to the very least person.
Chiaza, stop generalizing. You do have a point though that even the inspector general of the federal republic is corrupt so why would the ordinary policeman not be.
But i believe that "impossible is nothing" and "where there is a will, there is a way".

The steps to ensure a better police force is:

1. Raise the standards for recruiting police officers. For example all police officers must have at least a university degree

2. Increase the salary and compensation packages. This should include generous benefits for there families in case they are injured or killed in the  line of duty

3. Accountability, accountability, accountability. There has to be performance review of every police man in every precinct (or district) each year to adequately assess them.

4. Better weaponry and better training on how to use them. They should be taught the rules of engagement (how to engage the enemy) in situations like armed robberies, rioting mobs e.t.c

5. They should be taught how to seal off a crime scene so as to prevent evidence from being compromised. They should also be taught latest techniques in criminal investigation like using scientific technology. This includes DNA testing, fingerprint analysis (and a database to keep all fingerprints).

6. They should be taught better interrogation techniques so that we don't have another Boko Haram incident where the ringleader in custody was shot.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Beaf: 5:37am On Aug 31, 2009
Absolutely nothing can be done for the current police force. It should be disbanded and each state should build and equip their own force with guidance from the FG. The FG will also act as arbiter where there is serious disagreement that cannot be handled impartially at state level.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by mabimi: 6:59am On Aug 31, 2009
i still believe in this country regardless of what we see around.
the nigerian police have been neglected for a long time and i think the earlier we start acknowledging their impact to the peace and security of lives - the better for us.

the nigerian police is greatly understaffed.
its a fact that nigeria does not have a police man even to a thousand of its population.
we need more than a million police men in this country. we need people with different orientation of what the police is presently offering the country now. we need to forge ahead.

and never underestimate what a man in black could scare, wink
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by nethacker(m): 9:15am On Aug 31, 2009
I think all these set of police officers should be taken to FRSC or LASTMA cos they r not worthy of the responsibilities given to them by our govt due to the fact that they lack basic education.Morally those police guys r arrrrggghhhh decayed angry .Only if police force can be like the NDA where we have respected and loyal officers with dignity.They should undergo some form of military training for 4/5yrs just like the army/navy/airforce. Police force lack discipline.Graduates of universities and polytechnics need be encouraged to assume post in NPF just like we have graduates in Banks,Oil coys ,Telecomms and so on.
Just my own 5cents
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Jarus(m): 9:23am On Aug 31, 2009
Appoint a Nuhu Ribadu as IG.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by nethacker(m): 9:46am On Aug 31, 2009
Jarus:

Appoint a Nuhu Ribadu as IG.
With the above suggestion,if done,i bet u NPF will take a new dimension. grin
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Nezan(m): 10:42am On Aug 31, 2009
My fear for our police began when I had a self accident with my car, was hospitalised, and the police kept vigil by my bedside waiting to request money from me as soon as I regained consciousness.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by nethacker(m): 11:09am On Aug 31, 2009
Nezan:

My fear for our police began when I had a self accident with my car, was hospitalised, and the police kept vigil by my bedside waiting to request money from me as soon as I regained consciousness.
u c? grin those guyz r just too senseless grin
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by Viciyke(m): 11:19am On Aug 31, 2009
Solutions
1. Creation of Independent Police Force like a State or Local Police
2. Prosecute offending policing officers publicly, that way, their colleagues will learn from their mistakes.
3. Mass retirement of Police Chiefs since they always claim a blind eye when their subordinates commit crimes.
4. My favourite, change d Police uniform from Black to White like the Navy or Airforce. Black represents evil and when it gets dirty, people hardly notice. Imagine a police officer on d way putting on correct White cloths taking bribes. They will respect their uniforms more. grin grin
5. Better pay for our police force, it will reduce corruption in the force.
6. Increase the level of qualification on recruitment, dat way we would reduce the number of miscreants entering the police force.
7. Appoint a Nuhu Ribadu or Dora Akunyili as IG (Great Idea)
8. I don tire to write oooo. the ideas too much for my head. I'll keep u posted later on.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by zmurda(m): 11:31am On Aug 31, 2009
no
too much road blocks in their collective heads
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ocelot2006(m): 11:47am On Aug 31, 2009
The creation of state police units will simply be a big mistake.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ocelot2006(m): 11:48am On Aug 31, 2009
davidif:

Chiaza, stop generalizing. You do have a point though that even the inspector general of the federal republic is corrupt so why would the ordinary policeman not be.
But i believe that "impossible is nothing" and "where there is a will, there is a way".

The steps to ensure a better police force is:

1. Raise the standards for recruiting police officers. For example all police officers must have at least a university degree

2. Increase the salary and compensation packages. This should include generous benefits for there families in case they are injured or killed in the line of duty

3. Accountability, accountability, accountability. There has to be performance review of every police man in every precinct (or district) each year to adequately assess them.

4. Better weaponry and better training on how to use them. They should be taught the rules of engagement (how to engage the enemy) in situations like armed robberies, rioting mobs e.t.c

5. They should be taught how to seal off a crime scene so as to prevent evidence from being compromised. They should also be taught latest techniques in criminal investigation like using scientific technology. This includes DNA testing, fingerprint analysis (and a database to keep all fingerprints).

6. They should be taught better interrogation techniques so that we don't have another Boko Haram incident where the ringleader in custody was shot.

Well said.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by mayrho(m): 12:02pm On Aug 31, 2009
If God so wills
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ocelot2006(m): 12:04pm On Aug 31, 2009
nethacker:

I think all these set of police officers should be taken to FRSC or LASTMA cos they r not worthy of the responsibilities given to them by our govt due to the fact that they lack basic education.Morally those police guys r arrrrggghhhh decayed angry .Only if police force can be like the NDA where we have respected and loyal officers with dignity.They should undergo some form of military training for 4/5yrs just like the army/navy/airforce. Police force lack discipline.Graduates of universities and polytechnics need be encouraged to assume post in NPF just like we have graduates in Banks,Oil coys ,Telecomms and so on.
Just my own 5cents

First of all, the Police Academy (POLAC) in Kano is definitely on par with the NDA. The only difference between the two is that the NDA is basically a military university while POLAC accepts ONLY graduates for the officer course/cadet ASP course. And the number of rank-and file and NCOs with university degrees is increasing.

Also, don't think that the Police Force is made up of illitrates. Far from it. Compared to the armed forces and other intelligence agencies, the Nigeria Police Force has the HIGHEST number of lawyers. And time and time again, Police officers tend to excel at the prestigious National War College, Abuja.

The problem faced by the NPF is simply that of neglect and corruption. Eradicate these, and the NPF will be fine.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by slaughter(m): 12:07pm On Aug 31, 2009
To reform police is very simple, if u have witness their recruitment,u will know how, i have applied b4 as a graduate,belive me the discrimination was very high, because they dont like gradutes that does not have God fathers,according to my findings on the recruitment day i discover that they always have problem with young graduates because there is a limit to how they can control & send them on errands, even on that day a senior police officer was advicing agraduate without a God father to apply as a counstable that it is easier to get recruited that the force prefer them because they cheap errand boys to them.

so the solution is simple, stop recruiting s.s.c.e holders that can easily be asked to go out and bring money which ever way they can get it
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by babafemi3(m): 12:19pm On Aug 31, 2009
[i][color=#990000][/color][/i]i believe wen all nigerians like u nd me re reformed the the police will reform,they are Nigerians like u nd me
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by MUZBO(m): 12:22pm On Aug 31, 2009
The new police should recruit literates and more women. Then sell all those new and rusty jeeps and buy helicopters for easier crime fighting! Then they should be more autonomous hopefully with better judiciary.
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by opad(m): 12:56pm On Aug 31, 2009
grin Sure they can be reformed only if they change their uniforms from Black to White. grin
Re: Can Nigeria Police Be Reformed? How? by ayobase(m): 1:19pm On Aug 31, 2009
yes ke, it can be reformed!

How?
Discard those illiterate police men/women.
Employ fresh graduate with good pay.
Take them to the academy for training.
Rebuild, the police barracks.

Then change the uniform colour from black to
the former colour being used in the 70s and 80s!

Nigeria is Blessed!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Deal With Corrupt Nigerian Leaders / Jonathan In Secret Talks To Bring Ibori Back To Nigeria / Enugu Set To Become Nigeria's Flagship City --- Guardian UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.