Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,577 members, 7,816,424 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking (6618 Views)

Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok / Stanbic IBTC Gets Licence For Islamic Banking Operations In Nigeria / Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by ObamaUS: 7:27am On Aug 31, 2009
JUST as the Northern Caucus in the House of Representatives yesterday kicked against the recent bail-out for banks pronounced sick by the Central Bank of Nigeria, the man who calls the shots at the bank has initiated plans to develop a framework for Islamic (non-interest) banking in the country. The development came as the Catholic Archbishop of Lagos, Anthony Cardinal Okogie, gave a qualified backing to foreign acquisition of Nigerian banks.

The caucus, which criticised the development yesterday in Abuja called on the CBN to immediately seek the ratification of the National Assembly, insisting that "the injection of the N400 billion without appropriation by the National Assembly is unconstitutional."

The caucus however gave support to CBN's efforts towards sanitizing the banking sector and the country's economy and calling on the apex bank to pursue the ongoing reforms to a logical conclusion.

And speaking in Kaduna yesterday, Sanusi expressed the readiness of the apex bank for the development of an Islamic bank in the country, saying that the current global financial crisis has exposed the deficiencies in the conventional banking system.

Sanusi said the current global meltdown has severely undermined and damaged the confidence in the global governance system, adding that with crisis comes opportunities.

Speaking at a Ramadan Symposium organized by the Movement for Islamic Culture and Awareness (MICA) yesterday, the Central Bank Governor said that the current financial crisis has provided scholars, lawmakers and bankers the opportunity to reassess the opportunities provided by Islamic finance.

The CBN boss who delivered a paper entitled: "Islamic solution to the global economic meltdown," noted that in recognition of the benefits of Islamic banking in a growing economy like Nigeria, the CBN initiated actions to develop a regulatory and supervisory framework for Islamic (non Interest) banking in Nigeria.

According to him, this was to create an enabling environment for attracting the multi-billion dollars global Islamic finance industry to Nigeria and to enable Nigerians benefit from sharia compliant banking services and products.

He noted that a draft policy framework towards the establishment of the Islamic financial industry in the country was issued in March 2009 and is currently being reviewed for eventual release to the industry as a final document.

Sanusi said further that in keeping with its commitment to promoting the development of Islamic banking in Nigeria, "the CBN intends to pursue the following strategies to address some of the identified challenges,

"Extensive capacity building through collaboration among the various stakeholders to develop cognate expertise in non-interest banking; development of an adequate regulatory and supervisory framework for the effective operation of non-interest banking in Nigeria.

"Promotion of greater cooperation and coordination among relevant regulators and other stakeholders such as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), National Insurance Commission (NAICOM), Nigeria Accounting Standards Board (NASB), the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), the Federal Ministry of Finance, the National Assembly etc that may have important roles to play in the successful implementation of Islamic banking in Nigeria.

"Sensitising the general public through conferences, seminars, workshops, etc, on the benefits to be gained from Islamic finance,"

Sanusi further asserted that the prospects for the budding Islamic finance industry in the country can be seen by the growing number of investors and banks wishing to operate Islamic banking concept; recognition of the Islamic banking concept by the banks and other financial institutions Act 1991 as amended and significant Moslems and non- Moslem population majority of whom yearn for Islamic finance service.

The CBN governor noted that from the resilient nature of Islamic finance, it is quite evident that the opportunities are enormous as well as the challenges, adding that the challenges are in three fronts of theoretical, operational and implementation.

He argued that each of these challenges have profound implications for the development and the future direction of Islamic finance, adding that, "looking ahead, it is envisaged that Islamic finance will form a significant part of the Nigerian financial landscape."

Sanusi challenged organizers of the symposium to come up with workable suggestions and strategies that will assist the CBN to provide a conducive and enabling environment for Islamic finance in the country.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Goldmind1(m): 8:27am On Aug 31, 2009
This is coming down to what I predicted earlier on this forum that there is a move by FG to islamize the country. Instead of giving us steady power supply, good roads, and stable academic calendar, they are going into islam. When would Nigerians know that this administration has failed? Let's wake up in prayers that God'll frustrate their plan.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by babzyshe: 8:35am On Aug 31, 2009
Relax my friends, this is Naija.

Our Gbedu has matured over the years and no one can pull a fast one on us anymore.

This is all going to fizzle out the same way it came in.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 8:39am On Aug 31, 2009
Gold-mind:

This is coming down to what I predicted earlier on this forum that there is a move by FG to islamize the country. Instead of giving us steady power supply, good roads, and stable academic calendar, they are going into islam. When would Nigerians know that this administration has failed? Let's wake up in prayers that God'll frustrate their plan.
You are very wrong on the highlighted bit. . .
I dont think it is fair to say the Govt. is trying to Islamize the country
Instituting ethical banking into the ailing banking sector doesnt translate to a move to Islamize the country
Even if Islamic banking was introduced, i think it will be optional
Islamic Banking is pretty decent and u need to look at it's success around the world including countries like the UK
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by PapaBrowne(m): 9:22am On Aug 31, 2009
Sanusi's gameplan is unfolding fast.
Why is he so in a hurry to accomplish this agenda?
I thought he should be more sublime about his moves.

I have said it time without number, many Nigerians will only wake up to Sanusi's plans when they see Almajiri SSCE holders have taking over the banking halls. So much for quota system.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 9:23am On Aug 31, 2009
PapaBrowne:

Sanusi's gameplan is unfolding fast.
Why is he so in a hurry to accomplish this agenda?
I thought he should be more sublime about his moves.
I have said it time without number, many Nigerians will only wake up to Sanusi's plans when they see Almajiri SSCE holders have taking over the banking halls. So much for quota system.
Dude relax. . . .how can daft idiots take over the banking hall
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by PapaBrowne(m): 9:28am On Aug 31, 2009
Dude, let me ask you a question.
How come "daft idiots" have ruled us for so long?
How come our National assembly and Governors forum is filled with "daft idiots"?
In Nigerian, "Daft idiots" have always ruled!
"Daft idiots" taking over the banking halls is a much easier thing!
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 9:32am On Aug 31, 2009
PapaBrowne:

Dude, let me ask you a question.
How come daft idiots have ruled us for so long?
How come our National assembly and Governors forum is filled with daft idiots?
In Nigerian, Daft idiots have always ruled!
Daft idiots taking over the banking halls is a much easier thing!
OH really. . . undecided
But do you think Sanusi is daft enough to place daft idiots in our banking halls?
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by babzyshe: 9:37am On Aug 31, 2009
MrCrackles:

You are very wrong on the highlighted bit. . .
I dont think it is fair to say the Govt. is trying to Islamize the country
Instituting ethical banking into the ailing banking sector doesnt translate to a move to Islamize the country
Even if Islamic banking was introduced, i think it will be optional
Islamic Banking is pretty decent and u need to look at it's success around the world including countries like the UK

You are under the assumption that the present Govt. in Nigeria has the best interest of the people at heart.
There is no disputing the merits of Islamic banking. Institutionalizing it in Nigeria to run side by side with the current system is going to take a lot of planning, education, populace by-in and a long attention span which is not particularly a strong quality of this administration.

But Islamic Baking in the hands of a confused, rudderless, Govt. that has little or no credibility giving the current state of the polity is nothing but a tool to divide, distabilize and heat up the country along lines of belief and tribalism. All the while distracting us from their main goal of rigging the next election in 2011 while we are all distracted by the chaos all around.

Islamic banking as a whole will be served better under a different administration as tagging along with this present Govt. would reduce it to simple propaganda
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 9:44am On Aug 31, 2009
babzyshe:

You are under the assumption that the present Govt. in Nigeria has the best interest of the people at heart
No i am not. . .
IN as much as i know the Govt. is inept, useless and hopeless, i look at the bigger picture. . .
I am merely trying to correct the understanding that Islamic Banking will Islamize Nigeria
babzyshe:

There is no disputing the merits of Islamic banking. Institutionalizing it in Nigeria to run side by side with the current system is going to take a lot of planning, education, populace by-in and a long attention span which is not particularly a strong quality of this administration.
Yes definitely but if the merits are so good, we can toy with the idea and gradually embed it in
It shouldnt be enforced, it should merely serve as an alternative and shouldnt be translated to something else!
There is a lot of work to be done in the banking/financial sector and Nigeria as a whole!
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Jarus(m): 10:01am On Aug 31, 2009
While admitting that introducing Islamic Finance at this time will further fuel the ethnic/religious campaign against Sanusi, I believe the enlightened will not object to it.
Islamic finance has been taken to the frontburner in global economic discourse in the last few years. Even in countries like UK, US and other western countries, Islamic banking opportunities are being seriously looked into. The Economist ran a cover story on Islamic finance in a recent edition: http://www.economist.com/sponsor/qfc/index.cfm?pageid=article104

Financial giants across the world like HSBC, BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank, Barclays Capital, Citibank, Standard Chartered have all thrown their weights behind Islamic banking and have Islamic banking units and products.

It does not in any way amount to Islamizing the country. It's expanding the frontier of the country's finance and another way of integrating our financial system into the global trend. This article may as well be enlightening: http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/features/s2425127.htm
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 10:04am On Aug 31, 2009
Jarus:

While admitting that introducing Islamic Finance at this time will further fuel the ethnic/religious campaign against Sanusi, I believe the enlightened will not object to it.
Islamic finance has been taken to the frontburner in global economic discourse in the last few years. Even in countries like UK
Already in place. . .
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by PapaBrowne(m): 10:20am On Aug 31, 2009
The merits of non interest banking cannot be denied. Whether we call it Islamic banking or whatever, it is okay to have such banks in Nigeria.
The problem is when you creep up with an agenda like Sanusi is doing, takeover some already built up banks and then hand them over to Islamic banks!
This is immoral and would further divide the already very fragile cacophony of a country called Nigeria.
They tried to set up Jaiz Bank a few years ago, everybody was fine with it, but the bank couldn't raise the required 25bn naira.
To now take over banks other people built up with their sweat and blood and hand them over on a platter to these Islamic banks is a slap on the face of the Islamic religion itself.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 31, 2009
The whole drama is playing itself out.

CAnt believe this actually happening.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by DisGuy: 10:57am On Aug 31, 2009
please always give readers a source so we can read it oursleves and interprete, instead of selecting sections you prefer

He noted that a draft policy framework towards the establishment of the Islamic financial industry in the country was issued in March 2009 and is currently being reviewed for eventual release to the industry as a final document.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Jarus(m): 11:04am On Aug 31, 2009
PapaBrowne:

The merits of non interest banking cannot be denied. Whether we call it Islamic banking or whatever, it is okay to have such banks in Nigeria.
The problem is when you creep up with an agenda like Sanusi is doing, takeover some already built up banks and then hand them over to Islamic banks!
This is immoral and would further divide the already very fragile cacophony of a country called Nigeria.
They tried to set up Jaiz Bank a few years ago, everybody was fine with it, but the bank couldn't raise the required 25bn naira.
To now take over banks other people built up with their sweat and blood and hand them over on a platter to these Islamic banks is a slap on the face of the Islamic religion itself.
I have not read him say he was going to sell the troubled banks to Islamic banking investors. The introduction of Islamic banking is separate and has nothing to do with the the troubled five banks.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 31, 2009
"I have not read him say he was going to sell the troubled banks to Islamic banking investors. The introduction of Islamic banking is separate and has nothing to do with the the troubled five banks."

Yeah right.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by KnowAll(m): 11:27am On Aug 31, 2009
From an interest rate of 28% to 40% currently to no interest rate at all how can that be a bad move, bring it on, obviously we all know the interest would have been added to the capital at the commencement of the loan.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by naso2(m): 11:29am On Aug 31, 2009
I think this sanusi man needs some lessons in managing sensitive public offices like the CBN.

Even if his intentions were  honest, a wise man would refrain from certain utterances  like this that could generate controversy at this point in time.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Jarus(m): 11:34am On Aug 31, 2009
Xavier.:

"I have not read him say he was going to sell the troubled banks to Islamic banking investors. The introduction of Islamic banking is separate and has nothing to do with the the troubled five banks."

Yeah right.
Yes. . . . and I expect a professional Accountant and Finance person like you to know the place of Islamic banking in modern finance discourse.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2009
Jarus:

Yes. . . . and I expect a professional Accountant and Finance person like you to know the place of Islamic banking in modern finance discourse.
So Xavier is a pro financial person and hez acting all loco? shocked
Na wa o! grin
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 31, 2009
Mr crackles

It takes one to know one
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 1:42pm On Aug 31, 2009
Xavier.:

Mr crackles
It takes one to know one
LOL grin cheesy
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 31, 2009
It takes one loco to know another.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Nchara: 1:44pm On Aug 31, 2009
I am an Igbo. Daft Almajiri blah! blah!! blah!!! The southerners, especially the majority Igbo and Yoruba (and Edo, the silent ''snakes'') are as daft for allowing the daft Hausa/Fulani to rule them so daftly. What a daft country populated by daft people, especially the educated yet daft southerners.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Nchara: 1:46pm On Aug 31, 2009
This issue was first muled during Obj era. Sanusi is only attempting to bring it to pass
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 1:48pm On Aug 31, 2009
Xavier.:

It takes one loco to know another.
I laugh in Afghanistan! grin
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by spikedcylinder: 1:55pm On Aug 31, 2009
Jarus:

I have not read him say he was going to sell the troubled banks to Islamic banking investors. The introduction of Islamic banking is separate and has nothing to do with the the troubled five banks.

But proposing to develop Islamic banking in Nigeria at this critical time is a bit shady. It seems to suggest that the foreign investors that Sanusi was referring to are Islamic bankers. That'll put any country with divided religious and cultural values in a perpetual state of panic.

I will however like to ask - before now, what was the status of Islamic banks in Nigeria and how were they faring?
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Ibime(m): 1:56pm On Aug 31, 2009
Islamic banking is good for Nigeria.

It is the same as Judaist banking, so the word "Islamic" should not make nuccas panic.

I am in support of creating a 'non-interest' bank in Nigeria - a bank which is forced to invest in goods and services, not speculative loans which have no impact on the economy.

Islamic banking is good for a developing economy which does not have the strength to go through boom and bust cycles.

I already discussed the merits in another post but the moderator deleted it. I cant be bothered to go over the same points again.
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by MrCrackles(m): 2:00pm On Aug 31, 2009
Ibime:

I am in support of creating a 'non-interest' bank in Nigeria - a bank which is forced to invest in goods and services, not speculative loans which have no impact on the economy.
Islamic banking is good for a developing economy which does not have the strength to go through boom and bust cycles.
Seconded!
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Nchara: 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2009
Ibime:

Islamic banking is good for Nigeria.

It is the same as Judaist banking, so the word "Islamic" should not make nuccas panic.

I already discussed the merits in another post but the moderator deleted it. I cant be bothered to go over the same points again.

thirded grin grin grin
Re: Sanusi Canvasses Islamic Banking by Nobody: 2:05pm On Aug 31, 2009
wow. At this rate,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

GTBank Records 9% Decline in Profit After Tax to ₦45.5Bn in Q1 2020 / FG Lauds BON Hotels On Home-grown Skills In Nigerian Hospitality Sector / My everlasting appreciateion to Joy and other person God knows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.