Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? (47335 Views)

Nigerian Husband Brutalizes His Pretty Wife As She Seeks For Divorce. Photos / How Much Do You Give Your Parents As Monthly Stipend? / How Many Children Do You Think Is Ideal For A Family In This Current Economy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by delishpot: 11:57pm On Jun 19, 2016
Na wa o. So it is Nairalanders that will tell OP how to run his home? What next? To tell you how much meat she should put in her soup pot?
OP it is your home, it is your money, it is your wife. Do what is best for both of you. Advices here may be well meaning but the application may bring negative results in your home so you and your wife should sit down and plan well.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by ohzee(f): 11:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
girl4rmspace:

why are you the only one doing all the spending? You both are salary earners so i think she shouldnt be too selfish just because you are the husband.

I personally wouldnt let my husband do all the spending, that will be wicked of me.

Anyway you are a good man. Please talk to your wife and tell her it takes two to build a home not the husband alone.

I tell young women, if you allow your husband carry all the financial obligations you are digging an early grave for him. Better help him to live long so you can both enjoy your old age.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Wowzer(m): 12:01am On Jun 20, 2016
Lol....Covetousness. Working and earning well still looking for stipend. Shame Really.

Topic should have been : Greedy Wife Rejects #20,000 Stipend.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by ikenna44: 12:07am On Jun 20, 2016
Na u cos wahala for yourself! Homeboys get married and suddenly forget d G-Code! Na wa oo...hang out with your single friends more often and you will not have issues handling dis kinda situations! Now, my 2cents; women only understand d haggling approach! Even if u offered her 5million initially, she will still say "its not enough"! So, since u had 20k in mind, u should have started with 5k...that way she will end up negotiating for 20k...but as u don start with 20k, na 40k u go drop last last!
PS: b4 she came to u with that "pocket money" idea, bestbelieve say na one of her friends or some of her friends don teach am that pattern....so except more demands after this one! Your wife's friends be like; my husband drops 10million for me everyday, u arE dulling! U better tax ur husband or his family will eat all the money for u!
banjolek:
Hello guys,

I need your honest opinion on this, how much is really ideal to give one's wife as monthly pocket money?.

Here's my story, i recently got married and also moved to a new 3 bedroom apartment around gbagada. I earn a pretty decent income while my wife also works in the bank with a salary of like 150k. She saves a half of this salary and uses the remaining for upkeep.

Now the issue is my wife insists that i must give her monthly pocket money and i have proposed 20k, an amount i feel is more than adequate for her if added to about 75k which she already has to herself from her salary. Also note that this 20k does not mean i dont get to buy her random stuff during the month or provide anything she asks for if i feel its a reasonable demand.

A1so bear in mind that i am still 100% responsible for providing food and other bills in the house. In addition we just moved to a new apartment like i mentioned earlier and still in the process of furnishing it so a chunk of my monthly salary goes into furnishing the house.

We also have a plan to set up a business for her, so i'm also currently saving part of my salary to fulfill that dream.

Now my wife has rejected the proposed amount of 20k saying its too small.

I need your take on this people, considering all i have mentioned above, is 20k really too small to be giving her monthly?

i wrote this in a hurry, please bear with any typo observed.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by duality(m): 12:09am On Jun 20, 2016
ohzee:

Gbam! This is what a true helpmate does. Whenever my husband has a project I don't ask him for a dime. I even go as far as paying school fees and still contribute what I can to the project. If you marry a good man you have nothing to fear. When you are open with your finances your husband will also be open with his. You build your home together. I can't imagine collecting stipend from my husband. Then what's the point of working? I might as well be a full time housewife. A good man will give his wife monetary gifts from time to time . I have been married for a very long time almost 19 years. Women of nowadays sha.
Anyway you have to pray always about your marriage.

Wow!! 19 years.. More Grace for you.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by neonet(m): 12:09am On Jun 20, 2016
Women of nowadays are becoming something else,cant she use her own money for her own upkeep? allow the man to save enough money for the future joor!!!

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 12:12am On Jun 20, 2016
histemple:

What is difficult in advising the OP without insulting the family (You really think they are SILLY) ?

Okk your right. I was vexed. I have modified.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Khez: 12:14am On Jun 20, 2016
Bro she's selfish, sit her down and talk to her, it just doesn't make sense, tomorrow they will come and say equality, why won't she be the one paying you the stipend instead... smh
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 20, 2016
Project400:
Apply for a leave at work; go home and act like you've been sacked/dismissed.

Your experiences during this period would reveal the unknown.

Cheers.
I support this! Perhaps, dis would allow u knw d REALITY abt ur wife.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Trust77: 12:33am On Jun 20, 2016
I noticed you're bored please go and look for something important to do with your life.. Instead of posting nonsense topic on this forum, wetin concern us with that one
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by joey150(m): 12:39am On Jun 20, 2016
Come back and complain when she wants anal sex too..

Rubbish!! A nigga that comes to the internet to solve simple family problems is a bleeped up somebody!
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 12:42am On Jun 20, 2016
Lord save me from karashika

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by piagetskinner(m): 12:54am On Jun 20, 2016
Nairaland has become a forumn where peple ask unecessary questions....as a married man, I think the use of ur discretion is enough to to know how much u shold be giving to your wife...people don't need to tell u how to run ya narriage oga
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by marvelous000: 1:01am On Jun 20, 2016
PresVA:
Op, like how much do you earn? You keep insisting that she demands more because she knows your salary, which means your salary will actually be very reasonable. .. She must have seen how you spend on family/outside hence her demands; she knows your capability. ..

Really can't say anything till I hear from your wife because I won't be surprised if you give your family/outsiders like 100k monthly then proposing 20k to her...

Then, most importantly. .. You guys should look at valuable projects/investments to embark on...including your wife..

Just discuss with your wife, ONLY both of you can make the decision... all d best..

[size=13pt]
And what is wrong with the embolded, when she earns 150 that is spent on virtually nothing, and he has family that Comprises of different mouth,belly and needs?

Did she forget he was trained and brought up by that same family; I mean,
doesn't she know that he has mom, dad, or possibly siblings and extended family that look up to him for assistance. Does she expect to be getting same with his family that may be up to 4 or 5 people(if not more than); infact! Even if they're to be total strangers on the street, so what?

WTF, what do women take themselves for? Some kind of mini god that ought be appeased daily? An employee who is doing an employer(men) a favour by marrying/dating him, and so, ought to be paid for service rendered.

Are they lovers, helpers or business partners? Damn! Marriage suck with naija mentality.

dem nova born anybody well, wey go dictate how I go spend on my mama.
[/size]

8 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by nonix22(m): 1:09am On Jun 20, 2016
this kind tin dey make me loose erection for where woman dey o!

but didn't you study her before taking her to the Alter?? For me, a str8 week is enough for me to study a woman, no matter how she tries to pretend but in terms of home and monetary mangt. Some woman actually do not deserve to b given full disclosure of ur financial status. If she wasnt married, wont she pay her billz and co comfortably?? Little wonder some will not allow their wives to be working. just face the home atr8 on.

May God see you thru Bro.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by marvelous000: 1:22am On Jun 20, 2016
JoeCutie:
At first I thought it was a full time housewife. But here you're talking about someone who, like you, is working. In a bank? With a salary of #150,000? And you're still proposing a monthly stipend? Say wetin happen? Op are you even mad?

See, you can assist your wife (and vise versa) financially when need be, but to make it a monthly routine? In the name of stipend? Rubbish! Does she work for you? Before you start talking about being the husband and head of the family, remember this and never forget it: You're partners!

I'm sorry, Op, but your wife is a greedy and selfish woman. Let me just stop here before I spew what you won't like. She isn't a good wife. Nonsense!
undecided
[size=13pt]
Baba, the thing vex me reach boneangry I dey always ask God which kind fvcked up generation him put me like this sad

The stultifying aberration too dey sickening for my reasoning. To even think say she get problem with him spending on people(mama, papa or siblings) wey train and bring am up, dey even more sickening

[/size]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by abudabu: 1:25am On Jun 20, 2016
no amount is too all or too much to give one's wife. all depends on ur pocket. if 20k wld not b detrimental to ur pocket go ahead other wise let her know u act in dat capacity.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Chekitaut: 1:33am On Jun 20, 2016
I dey fear ooo(my body dey chek)
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by DedeNkem: 1:55am On Jun 20, 2016
Are you f*ucking kidding me? Are you mentally healthy?

Your wife earns 150k, saves half of it for herself and pockets 75k for herself, and still wants you to give her monthly "pocket money" even though you buy stuff for her randomly!

What kind of f*ucking greedy woman is this? You take 100% responsible for providing food and house bills without her contributing a cent!

She's a very ungrateful, mean and selfish woman! It's all about her and you're just in her world.
You probably wooed her with money and she married you for money! You ended up marrying a gold-digger! Gold-diggers don't give a f*uck!

Don't give her any f*ucking monthly salary. If you do it, she'll continue riding you all your life. It is terrible that she earns a good salary and still doesn't contribute financially at home!

My wife and I contribute to a special joint bank account for all financial needs of our home and another joint account for savings. I earn more than her, so I contribute more. I still buy her great gifts and take her out. She buys me gifts too. That's how a family should deal with it's finances.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by demarc001: 1:57am On Jun 20, 2016
fem29:

I'm sorry but I think you guys are being unwise . Are you in the process of building a house?.Do you have land?. Do you want to be a tenant forever?. In this harsh economy you are just talking about spend spend spend. Look it is better for you to use your early years to work and build so that you do not struggle when you are old.

Tell ya wifey:- honey any extra monies I have, I am using to build OUR house. If you are already saving towards
That, add the 20k that you were contemplating giving your wife to the funds. Also please cut right down on giving family money and let her know that. Thank God you have a good job but as far as I am concerned you are not yet established till you stop paying rent.

Chai! God bless the person wen born dis Virteous womam o! I pray your husband truly benefits from this ocean of wisdom.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by 19naia(m): 2:17am On Jun 20, 2016
If you are payng all the bills in the house, Rent, Food purchase, utility bills and everything to survive, what more does she need if she has an income of 150k. ?
I stayed with some family on a visit with N150k monthly budget. They fed me, housed me in a bedroom and i was left with only petty expenses such as my phone bill, my clothes and trips to eat at the mall or buy some foods i like that were not part of their menu at home.
Even with a weekly trip to Shop rite to fill up a cart with food and toiletries , and pay a taxi N2000 round trip - I was struggling to spend more than 50k a month. I even made regular trips to eat at Mr.Biggs rather than eat at the house for free, and a few times i took nephews with me and spent for them. I would even bring back loads of meat pie and such for the kids every week from Shoprite.
50k monthly was all i could manage to finish out of 150k budget.
I gave my hosting family 50k that month and the remaining 50k went toward travels to visit with old friends the following month and spending on friends along the way.

Seems your lady of the house has a similar situation where she is not paying the rent or paying the cost to buy food at market or pay utility bills. And she is saving only 75k. She could save up to 100k based on my experience. Maybe she has a car and pays added cost of fuel and upkeep?
Even with a car it could be tha same because i was paying 2k or more a week on taxi and still never finished more than 50k.

I don't see any reason for her to Need an allowance. She has very good savings per month as well as very good spendable income ,also has very little personal expenses and can even have you pay for miscellaneous things over time. Maybe her hair-do and cosmetic tastes are carrying her into greater expense?

20k sounds very generous since she is offered that despite not lacking surplus money of her own, such as her ample savings.

It is easy to live on 150k monthly In Nigeria unless you decide to live in an expensive area with an expensive car and habits. I was visiting Nigeria from USA and found 150k monthly quite easy to manage despite being long accustomed to USA lifestyle where N300k monthly (at the exchange rate of 199=$1) is the minimum i could manage in the cheapest cities in USA.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nyceguy92: 2:29am On Jun 20, 2016
[quote author=banjolek post=46655977]

God! What does she need all that money for?
You need to put your foot down a set a financial tone now or it will be difficult to change in future.

You don't have kids yet so what's the expenses?
Two of you should make a reasonable estimate of her monthly expenses plus feeding- mostly fuel, snacks, cosmetics, etc.

Add 30% of that for unforseen expenses. That is what she gets monthly, the rest she should be dedicated to a purpose.

Buy foodstuffs in bulk and store.
Discuss any monetary gift to extended family members with her. Keep it balanced. Women always cry foul in this area.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Werehkpe: 2:40am On Jun 20, 2016
banjolek:
Hello guys,

I need your honest opinion on this, how much is really ideal to give one's wife as monthly pocket money?.

Here's my story, i recently got married and also moved to a new 3 bedroom apartment around gbagada. I earn a pretty decent income while my wife also works in the bank with a salary of like 150k. She saves a half of this salary and uses the remaining for upkeep.

Now the issue is my wife insists that i must give her monthly pocket money and i have proposed 20k, an amount i feel is more than adequate for her if added to about 75k which she already has to herself from her salary. Also note that this 20k does not mean i dont get to buy her random stuff during the month or provide anything she asks for if i feel its a reasonable demand.

A1so bear in mind that i am still 100% responsible for providing food and other bills in the house. In addition we just moved to a new apartment like i mentioned earlier and still in the process of furnishing it so a chunk of my monthly salary goes into furnishing the house.

We also have a plan to set up a business for her, so i'm also currently saving part of my salary to fulfill that dream.

I need your take on this people, considering all i have mentioned above, is 20k really too small to be giving her monthly?

Is she IBO? cus na dem like money pass o.

If i am you, I wont give her upkeep money since she is already working and earning about 150k. She can use that for her upkeep and other things while you divert your funds to building a stronger home and furnishing your house. The truth is she is your wife she cannot leave your house or divorce you because you are not giving her upkeep money WHILE SHE IS STILL EARNING. The moment u accept to give her money while she is working you have laid a poor foundation and she will bleed you dry. As a man you have to take HARD and TOUGH decision.

Haba. whats wrong with these women sef. She is saving her money. and collecting from you and allowing only you to foot all the bills. God forbid but if anything goes wrong with your job, she will then have more money than you because she has been saving while you were speding on her and the house. Thats when she will start to show you shegey and talk to you like you are nothing. Bros shine you eye o
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by tbliss22(m): 2:57am On Jun 20, 2016
banjolek:
Hello guys,

Hello bro,
I will only advice you to sit your woman down and try have a serious discussion with her on this, she agreed to spend the rest of her life with you so I see no reason she won't listen to you but 20k is not really bad.

Also, you both should have 2 projects to accomplish by now; to build a house, and also to prepare for the future of your kids via some sacrificial investment.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Catastrophe1: 2:59am On Jun 20, 2016
hmmmmmn just here reading comments and learning.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by macminista(m): 3:01am On Jun 20, 2016
NL1960:

When i read the initial post and the fact that she works and earns a reasonable amount and she was still rejecting the amount you offered, i suspected that it will come to the bold.
the fact that she rejected the 20k is a red flag( my opinion)..am not here to give bad advice..bro use your upper
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by rman: 3:08am On Jun 20, 2016
Winneygirl:
Honestly, I don't see anything outrageous here.
If you both had a long term plan.. eg build a house since kids are still young and are not gulping down half your income as school fees....the talk would not be about monthly allowance, it will be about proper financial planning to safeguard the future.
Besides, you didn't tell us how much you earn, how much you allocate for housekeeping, and how much you actually spend on yourself.
Until we see both sides of the coin, we can't conclude that she is making an unreasonable demand.

Really? So she is just entitled to his money even if what she makes is enough.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Rossikk(m): 3:29am On Jun 20, 2016
banjolek:
Hello guys,

WOMEN AND MONEY.

Word of advice: Give her what you can, and tell her if that ain't good enough, she can walk. There is no shortage of women in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Nobody: 3:37am On Jun 20, 2016
banjolek:
Hello guys,

Plz talk some sense into her..If she is working,she doesn't even deserve the right to ask you for pocket money.

My sister & her husband lives at egbeda as well & they are both working... She does most of the miscellaneous expenses at home with her own money,while the husband does the main & standard expenses like fuel the gen/son's school fees/electricity/house rent et cetera....like 60/40 or 70/30

The question you should be asking is "why is your wife working in the first place".

It's best you cajole her into contributing into the families upkeep.
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by sokera: 3:55am On Jun 20, 2016
I'm suspecting she is helping plan something great secretly, because she is already saving 75k monthly and she still reject the 20k you proposed to give her monthly then i think she is working towards something ...ask her if she is doing or planning something then she should carry you along but if she is not then man you have to Becareful . Maybe you need to stop telling her how much you earn ...
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by Infinitikoncept(m): 4:00am On Jun 20, 2016
One thing I learnt in courtship class during finance & family is agreement on how we both see financial responsibility.
Money from both party belongs to us which is what I practice & my wife has access to all ATM cards, business transaction and any investment
Money from the husband belongs to the family but d wife belongs to her
Money from the wife belongs to the family but the husband's belongs to himself
Each party agree to contribute a certain percentage to the family upkeep.
I run number one because I've understand from time immemorial women are secretive but they have a soft point which is when you open up & she knows exactly your worth, what you spend on, u both share tots on what to save etc then they open up fully.
So sit her down and you guys can both agree on what works for you both
Re: How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend? by SamMilla1(m): 4:30am On Jun 20, 2016
Apparently you married the wrong girl.

Why would you give her any money since she earns 150k.
Whats the money for?
Is she working for you to earn Salaries?

The fun is giving her money randomly, it.could be 5k in a week, or 50k in two months.
She has to be giving you money randomly too.
Marriage is not to be measured with anything.

How long do you think you can keep up the payment?
Forever or what?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Baby Grabs Doctor's Finger From Womb! / Ladies What Will You Do In This Situation? / Why Nigerian Men Hardly Forgive A Cheating Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.