Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,523 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement (13785 Views)

#EndSARS: Senate Backs Call For Police SARS Scrapping / "Form A Political Party And Push Your Agenda" - APC Tells IPOB, MASSOB / Buhari's Ambassadorial Nominees And Their State Of Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Agunechemba1(m): 7:40am On Jun 18, 2016
I disagree with Dino
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Stancity(m): 7:40am On Jun 18, 2016
Let the hot wind from Sahara desert blow this statement from Dino away....

Of course our brothers from the North and West wont support this one......

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by codemaniacs: 7:41am On Jun 18, 2016
ybalogs:
I really don't trust Dino Melaye for anything but I'm totally in support of the scrapping know guys who are not from my town but spent their whole life in it . they should have that right to be voted for then.

The person that killed people in orlando lived most of his life in the U.S.

If people sponsor newly weds in order to train those "newly weds" children in a country so as to carry out attacks on that country from within then your logic is flawed and very naïve.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 18, 2016
I don't believe in this tho it appears good on the surface but I'm aware of the tribalism that exists in my fellow nigerians and I know how much hate they have in their heart. We should just be like this because the we can't know each others mind.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by sunnyside16(m): 7:42am On Jun 18, 2016
This is an awesome idea. Let us start with official documents first, eg registration forms, CVs, govt documents etc. That way we will be less tribalistic.

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by code11(m): 7:42am On Jun 18, 2016
DExplorer1:
Dino is confused here!
What has ethnic bigotry got to do with relating and identifying with your source?

Bro it does a lot. Maybe you have not seen a case where one is denied a contract because he is not from a particular state. Have you even seen the quota for things like NDA?

What caused the Northern killings that led to the Biafra war? It was caused by wide and open evidence that we are different. We need to close those gap is we are to survive as a nation. And BuBu should stop hate speeches

2 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Christianwalas(m): 7:42am On Jun 18, 2016
Common sense advice

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by honest1480(m): 7:49am On Jun 18, 2016
This is a very good move if properly implimented. It's working in developed countries, therefore, if we start it now it would certainly work for us in time to come.
All the problems we are facing in this country are born out of lack of unity. So, One Nigeria is the solution.

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by seguno2: 7:51am On Jun 18, 2016
Good call from the otherwise useless senator.
Please wake me up when he moves the motion to make it part of the ongoing constitutional amendment. Until then, this is just another bad joke on his fellow citizens.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by kryptonian1987(m): 7:52am On Jun 18, 2016
another way of saying: no fiscal federalism; no structural adjustment and finally, another of this inept northerners trying to reap where they didn't sow..!
God punish Dino and his supporters!!!!

Dino and deceptive are...

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by RukieKen(m): 7:52am On Jun 18, 2016
Melaye is not saying dis because he's not a bigot himself but because he is eyeing presidency and he doesn't see dat coming over to North central not to talk of his state,so upon d removal of state of origin he will contest without any hinderance.Ref:Last weeks interview dat he said "he is going to be president of Nigeria".
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by DExplorer1: 7:54am On Jun 18, 2016
code11:

Bro it does a lot. Maybe you have not seen a case where one is denied a contract because he is not from a particular state. Have you even seen the quota for things like NDA?

What caused the Northern killings that led to the Biafra war? It was caused by wide and open evidence that we are different. We need to close those gap is we are to survive as a nation. And BuBu should stop hate speeches
I think you should leave Buhari out of this. We Nigerians have got the 'my people' mentality and that's in our DNA. Sincerely, I wouldn't know a company that would substitute professionalism for ethnic rivalry. If you're good, you go get the job regardless of your state. If anything, I may only be prompted to speak for the university aspirants as the said 25% indigene enrollment for all universities be scrapped.

4 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by tundexijim(m): 8:01am On Jun 18, 2016
And for this to work, indigenous names should be scrapped.... I don't see it working though. Nigerians are too tribalistic especially the iPods..
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by castrokins(m): 8:02am On Jun 18, 2016
It's Not Really The Certificate That's The Issue, It Is The Mind. How About Canvassing For Attitudinal Reorientation? The Yoruba Man Knows An Igbo Man By Name And Will Discriminate Against Him And Vice Versa As Long As We Remain.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 18, 2016
code11:
This will be a welcome development. Buy our senators from the north will not vote for that. Imagine what will happen in admission and civil service employment? Imagine everyone has an equal chance of employment... How many northerners will be in good Universities, civil service and the army?

Removal of state of origin means removal of catchment area. I remember when I took federal common entrance exam... I scored 456 over 600 still I was not invited to the interview because I was from Anambra state. People from Sokoto, Adamawa and some other state were invited with scores as low as 100. How fair is this.?

When I wrote jamb for uni... I had 297 to be admitted. But my fellow students from some of these catchment state just need to score 180. How fair is this..?

I support the removal but the issue has lingered for a long time. State of origin creates uneven and unequal opportunity
Boss o dey hail o...I comot cap for you you are the chairman of chairmen!
wow what an impressive cv. kudos!
don't give up. this hardwork, diligence and brilliance will eventually pay off handsomely on the long run.

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by code11(m): 8:06am On Jun 18, 2016
DExplorer1:

I think you should leave Buhari out of this. We Nigerians have got the 'my people' mentality and that's in our DNA. Sincerely, I wouldn't know a company that would substitute professionalism for ethnic rivalry. If you're good, you go get the job regardless of your state. If anything, I may only be prompted to speak for the university aspirants as the said 25% indigene enrollment for all universities be scrapped.

Strong point sir. I hail u. The Nigerian civil service is one of such company, they hardly care for professionalism.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 18, 2016
Time to take over the politics of Lagos State. Oshe!
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by code11(m): 8:07am On Jun 18, 2016
FxDuke:

Boss o dey hail o...I comot cap for you you are the chairman of chairmen!
wow what an impressive cv. kudos!
don't give up. this hardwork, diligence and brilliance will eventually pay off handsomely on the long run.

Tnx bro. All obstacles have be jumped over. Am an Engineer now and a core software developer. It does pay to work hard. Tnx again
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by honest1480(m): 8:11am On Jun 18, 2016
It is really a good move. It is working in developed countries, therefore, if properly implimented, in years to come we would be reaping its benefits too.
Remember, the source of all these crisis in our country today are born out of lack of unity. Let all of us join hands together in compaigning for ONE NIGERIA despite the great difference in our ways of life.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by DExplorer1: 8:14am On Jun 18, 2016
code11:

Strong point sir. I hail u. The Nigerian civil service is one of such company, they hardly care for professionalism.
What we should clamour for is an open/transparent recruitment process.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by BermudaTriangle(m): 8:15am On Jun 18, 2016
Suggestion from a demented misfit of a senator.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 18, 2016
code11:

Tnx bro. All obstacles have be jumped over. Am an Engineer now and a core software developer. It does pay to work hard. Tnx again

you're welcome boss. I tap into your anointing.
you see what am saying, it is already paying off....

watch out, if you continue like this you might become a political heavyweight that will influence, direct and navigate the destiny of the country.

noting can take the place of hard work and due (delligence).

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Starlet50(m): 8:24am On Jun 18, 2016
mrvitalis:
This is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria.... . In the next 100 years there will be no more igbo, or Yorubas or hausas or ijaws. .. . U will just have Nigerians. ... And that what's the best for us.. .

And this is also the best for my igbo brothers

Dude,you nailed it.You are so damn right...
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by stefan388: 8:25am On Jun 18, 2016
ybalogs:
I really don't trust Dino Melaye for anything but I'm totally in support of the scrapping know guys who are not from my town but spent their whole life in it . they should have that right to be voted for then.
God forbid bad thing and tufiakwa to Dino's totalitly and you, the owner of this post. Why are the Niger Delta suffering today. Why are the yoruba and north always desregarding as well as underminding them because they are minority. These people are nothing to those two major tribes and Dino is call for the removal of state of origin so that the people of Niger Deltan can be completely eliminated from the Nigerian history. Una nor let me talk this morning please, pelase, please please....
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Starlet50(m): 8:26am On Jun 18, 2016
izzou:

And you believe all what you just wrote??

Its not just the name that makes us all different. We are different naturally.

we are not different atal as long as we are all human beings.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Alexk2(m): 8:27am On Jun 18, 2016
I support this in totality but care must be taken not to allow dubious and selfish individual especially politicians from from wrongly manipulating it.

Someone may be a senator representing Kogi State today and Kwara State tomorrow claiming he reside in Kwara State.... undecided undecided..
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by palsenator(m): 8:31am On Jun 18, 2016
Melaye and his likes are not facing the truth. Why forcing this fraud called Nigeria into cohabitation? No matter how long we turned our eyes away, one day, this country will divide.

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by MCeeShort(m): 8:39am On Jun 18, 2016
I totally agree with him. This state of origin thingy is a whole lot of nonsense and causes rifts between indegenes and non-indegenes.
Go-Dino-Go-Dino-Go!
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by murmee: 8:50am On Jun 18, 2016
palsenator:
Melaye and his likes are not facing the truth. Why forcing this fraud called Nigeria into cohabitation? No matter how long we turned our eyes away, one day, this country will divide.
You have just hit the Nail hard on the head. More rational people are calling for restructuring of the country to enhance faster development, Melaye is forming patriot. Will our names not point to our states or regions of origin? Let us all face reality and do the needful.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by emorse(m): 8:57am On Jun 18, 2016
mrvitalis:
This is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria.... . In the next 100 years there will be no more igbo, or Yorubas or hausas or ijaws. .. . U will just have Nigerians. ... And that what's the best for us.. .

And this is also the best for my igbo brothers

Honestly, this is this most sensible thing I have ever heard from the man Dino Melaye. However, he needs to sponsor a bill to its effect rather than run his mouth in public. The positive effects of this law are innumerable some of which you have already listed.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by emorse(m): 9:03am On Jun 18, 2016
murmee:
You have just hit the Nail hard on the head. More rational people are calling for restructuring of the country to enhance faster development, Melaye is forming patriot. Will our names not point to our states or regions of origin? Let us all face reality and do the needful.

Does the name Kaduna Nzeogwu ring a bell? If no, Can you guess where he is from? Let me help you. He was an Igbo man born, raised and dearly loved in the north. If not for the things he did to taint his career in the end, he would have been revered both in the north and the east.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by emorse(m): 9:06am On Jun 18, 2016
Alexk2:
I support this in totality but care must be taken not to allow dubious and selfish individual especially politicians from from wrongly manipulating it.

Someone may be a senator representing Kogi State today and Kwara State tomorrow claiming he reside in Kwara State.... undecided undecided..

They can't. They won't have the time. You must live in a particular state for a set number of years before you are allowed to vie for political positions. eg, Mikel lived and worked in London for about ten years before he was granted citizenship.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Presidential Appeal Panel: CUPP Alleges Plot By APC, CJN To Jettison Seniority / Again, IMF Warns Nigeria Against Rising Debts / Sokoto: PRP Collapses Party Structures, Candidates Join APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.