Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement (13801 Views)

#EndSARS: Senate Backs Call For Police SARS Scrapping / "Form A Political Party And Push Your Agenda" - APC Tells IPOB, MASSOB / Buhari's Ambassadorial Nominees And Their State Of Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by logicab: 9:13am On Jun 18, 2016
Just read this article. We know what happened when an Igbo VC was appointed at University of Ibadan.

http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/babsajayi/072315.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by jozz(m): 9:26am On Jun 18, 2016
welcome dévelopment. will reduce ethnocentric tendencies.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Lexicon123: 9:30am On Jun 18, 2016
Assuming there's no ulterior motive beclouding this, I agree with Sen Melaye completely. It's an important step to eschewing incompetence and making of wrong choices in virtually every aspect of our lives. Political appointments and choice of life partner stand out in this regard.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by akinsammy(m): 9:48am On Jun 18, 2016
Olodo le yi ni? How will some that has about 2 different places he stays to be claiming dual state. You mean i as a yoruba guy can become anambra governor dis year and after 8years contest for lagos. Nd be moving all abt. #OneNaija buh not this way
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by jkarmstrong(m): 9:49am On Jun 18, 2016
Who state of origin epp? Only unrepentant bigots and tribalists will oppose the senator. The serious question is where do we want to be as a nation, as a country? If you understand the question properly you will understand that the answer begins with jettisoning this anachronistic state of origin nonsense and replacing it with the progressive place of birth or place of residence. Hopefully one day we will get there.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by basadenet: 10:00am On Jun 18, 2016
Thank you my guy and this must be done immediately.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Crieff(m): 10:01am On Jun 18, 2016
Scrapping it is unnecessary. You can have the two side by side and it will be functional and effective. I do not support scrapping it. Leave it.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 18, 2016
omojoshy:
Motion supported.....We all need to start seeing ourselves as ONE. Discrimination, Tribalism and Corruption are the main problems killing us as a Nation.

According to the "Commonsense" Senator Ben B, America is great today because the principle of oneness.

America, Canada & Australia are immigrant countries. Not d same. E
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Sirsubway1: 10:15am On Jun 18, 2016
God forbid bad thing. Make everybody bear hin papa name abeg.

4 Likes

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 18, 2016
This proposal will NEVER see d light of day. True story.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 18, 2016
whats this one saying, sometimes eh some people just talk so that people will say they talked, horse yansh face thinks that it will help solve issues lol, what i waste of my 5 secs
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by donifecent(m): 10:34am On Jun 18, 2016
mrvitalis:
This is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria.... . In the next 100 years there will be no more igbo, or Yorubas or hausas or ijaws. .. . U will just have Nigerians. ... And that what's the best for us.. .

And this is also the best for my igbo brothers
my guy dont be deceived employers will still ask u orally. Ask urself What of religion dey include
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by mukhcech(m): 10:41am On Jun 18, 2016
So How come that Bleaching Bastard was able to contest Election in Both Lagos and Kogi state. And not only that, FALEKE is not still satisfied with being a rep for lagos and going to court to be Governor in Kogi state. Anyways I wish him happy wasting of money sha

On this topic. After scrapping it, make sure you scrap of the minds of the people too. Me I know there are many places in Nigeria they will never vote a bastard of the land.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by makaveli902: 10:57am On Jun 18, 2016
demarc001:
Which region Except minority will accept? I hope he is not speaking now cos of oil

Yoruba man will always want to cling to his omonile status, Igbo man will never allow another tribe to rule him in his land an Housa man will not consider some other religion person (infidel) a place in his land.

You know what, DINO has a point but I tell you it can't work in Nigeria because:

1. Nigeria is too multi tribal and tribal centric.

2. Nigeria is too multi lingual only God knows how many language we speak in this country.

3. Nigeria is not America, America is light years ahead of Nigeria.

4. True federalism is the solution to 75% of our problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by lekan29ice(m): 11:00am On Jun 18, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
and finally turn south east to cattle ranch grin
Na so
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by lohresloco: 11:08am On Jun 18, 2016
True federalism is the answer not this.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by kay7: 11:09am On Jun 18, 2016
This is the most sensible thing the Hon will talk about. However I think that scrapping State of Origin should NOT be replaced with State of Residence.
Just scrap the State thing and keep Nationality. Once a Nigerian, someone can reside anywhere on Nigerian soil.
Within a period when a new generation of Nigerians take over the nation, tribalism would have been forgotten in Nigeria.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by kenoz(m): 12:11pm On Jun 18, 2016
Nice one

I support you on this one

We are all Nigerians
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by breakeven: 12:22pm On Jun 18, 2016
The north cannot do without state of origin. So talk to your people. The rest of us don't have problem with scrapping it.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Ademusiwa1: 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
[size=28pt]
My advice to Mr Dino malaye

There is something important in state of origin. This is what was well done .

You can't have Hausa represent igbo people, igbos will not be happy.
You cant have igbo represent hausa.

What my malate is saying is that Hausa represent igbos. How possible is that.

Even in the USA with an advanced democracy . State of origin is used.

The nomination of some people by Buhari as minister . Who falsely declared theirs state of origin is not correct.

The laws was written because of national security ..

so I can tell you , why you have a break down in the system .
You have a break down in the system because people are declaring false state of origin .

If an igbo man declares false state in Hausa land. He will not understand the culture of the people , and this is what is bring crisis.

A case of the notorious bola tinubu / Obasanjo who falsely declared his state of origin you can see the impart on the level of violence .
In any society you go to you most always have respect for the people culture and believe . And know your limitation .

It is wrong to displease majority for the sake of less than 1% of a population of a state.

What you are saying is that the law should be written to favour 1%, over 99%.

This is not fair.

Lagos schools.

t][/size]

[img]http://www.olisa.tv/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Pupils-in-a-Lagos-school-sitting-on-the-floor.jpeg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/-wK9nZX2DlDk/TylDA5hVzLI/AAAAAAAABac/MwechPXGQlc/s1600/AKUTE+COMMUNITY+SCHOOL_5967.JPG[/img]
[img]http://3.bp..com/-OOCRkqhnsvg/UzYfC7C9nHI/AAAAAAAACik/Rdbnpr0qCJo/s1600/ladipo+primary+school+lagos.jpg[/img]
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by DanielGb(m): 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2016
Just what I was thinking.

scrap it. No more state of origin. Let us welcome state of residence. It will go along way in doing two things.

1. Foster Unity by eliminating Ethnic diversity.
2. Introduction of the Merit system.

Everybody understand the first. The only addition is, for political reason, there should be stated year of living in such area of residence before you can contest for election.

Lagos is going down this way either they accept it or default.

Time will speak

MERIT SYSTEM.
Individual will be selected base on what they can do. only few lapses will show.

In reality,
We are not unite. it doesn't show in the mind of Nigerians. This is one big option that can be adopted.

Sen. Dino Melaye! I support this motion.

Let's take Nigeria back to Glory
Our dream as a Nation is all we have.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Toofan007: 1:55pm On Jun 18, 2016
The only sensible thing I've heard from this dude in years! You want us to unite as Nigerians, but if I want to go to school\ contest for an election where I reside at you'll tell I'm non Indigen? Nothing can be more backward!
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Awqeyriovd(f): 2:03pm On Jun 18, 2016
naijastory:

http://m.guardian.ng/news/unity-sen-melaye-wants-state-of-origin-replaced-with-state-of-residence/

God has forgiven u Dino.its long overdue.
We shld criminalize with a fine all these unhealthy common divisive statement like ofe nmanu. Omo ibo .nyamiri.and so many u knw dem all.
Wen we r made to pay for saying dem we begin to forget dem n restore our national unity buh its a pity dat those since independence at d helms of our affairs never tot of it.
Melaye go n sin no more.
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Charly68: 2:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
This policy to me will give room for Aliens to claim the citizenship of this nation..before you know what is happening it will bring in more problem than what we can handle..better we examine this policy very well before implementing it. it is saliently dang erous .

1 Like

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by charlyb007: 3:12pm On Jun 18, 2016
no point here,
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Akinz0126(m): 5:33pm On Jun 18, 2016
mrvitalis:
This is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria.... . In the next 100 years there will be no more igbo, or Yorubas or hausas or ijaws. .. . U will just have Nigerians. ... And that what's the best for us.. .

And you believe it's will augur well?He no go work Oga In as far as Nigeria and Nigerians are concern we better maintain the present status quo.U and I knows it's would only work on paper but not practical reality
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
mrvitalis:

Wit d igbos u said are everywhere, how many democratic president hav the produced?
Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by logicab: 5:49pm On Jun 18, 2016
along4dem:

Wit d igbos u said are everywhere, how many democratic president hav the produced?
You didn't catch his drift? That was the reason why when Ironsi promulgated Decree 34, Igbos were all smiles. Abolition of State of Origin will not happen because it has far reaching implications. There are usurpers who are fond of going to other people's land and when they are given an administrative role, their nepotistic colors come out in full bloom.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement by icankel: 6:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
Goodnews for job seekers but baddest news for political office holders

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2023: No Manipulations Of Any Form Will Be Allowed, Buhari Vows / Plateau Reps: Beni Lar, Musa Bagos React To Sack By Appeal Court / PDP Affirms Garba Umar As Taraba Acting-Governor…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.