Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (84301 Views)

Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! / Watch Video Of Popular Ogun River That Turns Dry Land, / Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Awesome01(m): 8:40pm On Jun 19, 2016
Very funny how this small normal occurence has become the news of the month. Its not a new thing to those living in riverine areas. This plant is called "gbeborun",. Many people living along the Ogun river basin like Isheri, Idera, Itowolo and Majidun along Ikorodu road after Mile 12 knows this. It usually covers the river whenever the river is not having much water especially because of the Dam of the Ogun River basin.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by omolola15(m): 8:41pm On Jun 19, 2016
unitysheart:
This is a pure lie. See the ground level and the level the houses around the supposed river land are?:are those houses under water before?

Seriously this is not a lie at all. I do pass that place weekly. And i know how the big the river is. That market has been there for years. And i use my korokoro eye see the dry land. It was even on channels TV. If you are in lagos, get to berger then from berger take a bus going to mowe. Drop at Kara market. You'll see it yourself.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by mexzony: 8:41pm On Jun 19, 2016
Blossom023:
That's what happens when God does something.. People become confused and start looking for a scientific explanation for everything. Not everything has a scientific explanation.

There are things in this world we can't explain.
My dear this is purely scientific.
Either there was a shift in tectonic plates redirecting flow or a huge crack in the river bed.
Can't say as one has to see the site to see first hand and you observe.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by tosynomolara(f): 8:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
Short of words,Saw it dis morning(around berger side)...God's wondaful
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Slimchase(m): 8:53pm On Jun 19, 2016
Finally, Igbos re entering d Lagoon for a grand development as Oba Akiolu prophesied last year during election.... Just watch out as bush clearing and digging of building foundations will commence right inside d ex-lagoon b4 3days time...... Ibos 2much joooor !!
#proudipobson# abum nnwafor igbo !!!!!!
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by SonofDevil: 9:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
Bed
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
Dis is very strange wil hav 2 see it wt my own eyes
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by neonet(m): 9:13pm On Jun 19, 2016
Its true, I saw it live.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by defash8: 9:18pm On Jun 19, 2016
I saw it live yesterday. I am happy I witness it because I will not have believe the news if I was told. The amasing part is how the river runs dry, seaweed is a common thing I witnessed before but not river run dry within hours.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by nairaimporter: 9:28pm On Jun 19, 2016
BoboYekini:
We can science this schit.

The water was from a dam that has now been shut - maybe temporarily.

The green vegetation is from the water lilies that have now settled on the ground - must have been pretty dense cover in the first place. They will not be green for long.

The ground is firm, and not particularly silty or muddy because it was always hard compressed clay, overburdened over a long long time and most likely artificially leveled to allow thoroughfare. Juxtapose with the adjoining highland right to the left of it (those shanties- any regular commuter on the route knows where I refer) and the picture becomes evident.
smiley

If there was a recent increase in fertilizer waste poured in the river or any other chemicals that contains elements that cause increased growth in plants.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by tasceige(m): 9:35pm On Jun 19, 2016
jazinogold:
Am a geologist.... wait lemme come back from church, I will gist you the geology of the area.

Still waiting fellow geologist.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Marvinspeed(m): 9:39pm On Jun 19, 2016
lebete3000:

But Eleganza a Nigerian owned company produces Biro so why can't we produce pencils

My brother, we have to ask our Minister of science and Tech.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by SincereBigot: 9:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
there is nothing strange here, the water has not dried up one bit, and those plants would still flow away.. study agric, No.. ok study Botany, No.. na mass comm una wan study

2 Likes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by figure007(m): 10:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
aoluwa1:
I just passed the place and say it with my eyes. It's true. We went to redemption camp in the morning for SOD lectures and it was all flowing. Upon coming back we saw a crowD gathering on the bridge snapping pics and we were thinking that something terrible was going on. Only to see that the ex river was now like a forest that was recently plowed like d pic and people were running over it and white birds landing. We now looked at the other side and it was still flowing water. It even just rained this morning. Nawah o. I don't even know what to say.

Where exactly is this kara situated ? Is it the one that has alot of cow rearer(herdsmen) along Lagos expressway or where ?
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by IGWISE(m): 10:05pm On Jun 19, 2016
1daful
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by RedHand: 10:20pm On Jun 19, 2016
Afritop:
SOON REAL ESTATE DEVELOPERS WILL WANT TO CASH ON SUCH AN OPPORTUNITY
I hear they are alteady pricing the land
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by DifferentBoy1(m): 10:24pm On Jun 19, 2016
Rapture loading.... Give your lives to Christ.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by PrinzeTokz: 10:27pm On Jun 19, 2016
May be Moses and the Israelites were passing-by then...who knows
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 19, 2016
mexzony:

My dear this is purely scientific.
Either there was a shift in tectonic plates redirecting flow or a huge crack in the river bed.
Can't say as one has to see the site to see first hand and you observe.

Boy bye.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 19, 2016
How will the world be if all of us studied botany or agric.. mass communication students are the ones that help us broadcast the news and so many other things. Don't trash talk other fields of study please.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jun 19, 2016
Idrismusty97:
Don't you think they are more important things for God to do? Like feeding millions of malnourished children in Africa, Stop boko haram and ISIS instead of showing up with one river. Please let's try to reason logically instead of adding religious undertone to every strange occurrence. You are actually mocking god not praising him, This is the best he can do when millions die of poverty and diseases every day?

While you praise your god a natural disaster may just be around the corner. I wonder who you will praise(or blame) for that when it happens.

OK now brother I wasn't referring to the river that dried up as that is a normal occurrence. The comments is what I'm referring to.. Any time something happens.. Science comes in.

Next time you want to e-argue with someone.. Understand the person first. And nothing will stop me from praising my God.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by akigbemaru: 11:02pm On Jun 19, 2016
Dry river
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by sbabimbola(f): 11:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
Awesome01:
Very funny how this small normal occurence has become the news of the month. Its not a new thing to those living in riverine areas. This plant is called "gbeborun",. Many people living along the Ogun river basin like Isheri, Idera, Itowolo and Majidun along Ikorodu road after Mile 12 knows this. It usually covers the river whenever the river is not having much water especially because of the Dam of the Ogun River basin.

That's serious, since you've experienced it elsewhere.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by EDhims(m): 11:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
I think the river is undergoing an aging process or possible effect of excess nutrition
Simply I can say its either natural eutrophication or cultural eutrophication
It has a whole lot of impact on the biodiversity there. Because the growth of the sea weed will reduce the amount of dissolved oxygen leading to anaerobic condition beneath and the fishes and other organisms that depend on oxygen will gradually being to die. Soon that environment will start producing a fowl smell.
Wish I can just run a paper work there sharply
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by cooljude(m): 11:21pm On Jun 19, 2016
Blossom023:
That's what happens when God does something.. People become confused and start looking for a scientific explanation for everything. Not everything has a scientific explanation.

There are things in this world we can't explain.
Java, if everybody reasons like this, I bet we would still be in the jungle chasing monkeys.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by FODA(m): 11:22pm On Jun 19, 2016
God help us in this country,even,river is leaving naija for greener pastures.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by streetzdreamz(m): 11:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
Idrismusty97:
Honestly, I am tired of sharing the country with these over religious hypocrites.
what i dont get about people like you,is how anyones opinion,believes or ideas affects a thing about your life,you dont believe in God i doubt him either but i dont go around proving a lost cause,it cant be proven that there is no God,it can be proven that he exists to a significant percentage,if they chose to believe its supernatural how does it reduce ur human worth??this is a river not an ocean with huge tidal currents,so a theory of recession is obsolete, the river course might be rechanneled by who?its not a dam neither is it an irrigated path,say any of this happened what stopped it from happening at the other side??and does plants grow that fast??people said it happened within 18hours,the whole areas portrayed d look of a fallowed land for months,not weeks,so if anyone thinks its supernatural i think you should cut em some slack,rather than chide em as though they committed murder,for me i'd say a geophysical survey is done,the river course traced,and a possibility of an earthquake taken into consideration.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by cooljude(m): 11:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
emmkeffs:
I can smell danger. people living along the banks should leave the area if they want to be safe. Nature does not need humans but we need Nature. Before the tsunami struck in Indonesia, the people living at the banks noticed that the water receded and they could see the sea bed and even pick sea shells and crabs. Unfortunately their luck ran out as they were washed by a wall of roaring water
It is not a Tsunami, for you to have a Tsunami, their must be a powerful earthquake at sea that would shift the topography of land under the ocean therefore displacing large volume of water and it usually take minutes for the water to make landfall.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by streetzdreamz(m): 11:27pm On Jun 19, 2016
Idrismusty97:
Honestly, I am tired of sharing the country with these over religious hypocrites.
what i dont get about people like you,is how anyones opinion,believes or ideas affects a thing about your life,you dont believe in God i doubt him either but i dont go around proving a lost cause,it cant be proven that there is no God,it can be proven that he exists to a significant percentage,i dont dig religion,but i respect those who believes in their own version of religion,they chose to believe its supernatural how does it reduce ur human worth??this is a river not an ocean with huge tidal currents,so a theory of recession is obsolete, the river course might be rechanneled by who?its not a dam neither is it an irrigated path,say any of this happened what stopped it from happening at the other side??and does plants grow that fast??people said it happened within 18hours,the whole areas portrayed d look of a fallowed land for months,not weeks,so if anyone thinks its supernatural i think you should cut em some slack,rather than chide em as though they committed murder,for me i'd say a geophysical survey is done,the river course traced,and a possibility of an earthquake taken into consideration.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by cooljude(m): 11:28pm On Jun 19, 2016
emmkeffs:
I can smell danger. people living along the banks should leave the area if they want to be safe. Nature does not need humans but we need Nature. Before the tsunami struck in Indonesia, the people living at the banks noticed that the water receded and they could see the sea bed and even pick sea shells and crabs. Unfortunately their luck ran out as they were washed by a wall of roaring water
It is not a Tsunami, for you to have a Tsunami, their must be a powerful earthquake at sea that would shift the topography of land under the ocean therefore displacing large volume of water and it usually take minutes for the water to make landfall. I agree that receding ocean water is a sign of Tsunami, if this had happened at a beach I would have advised people to run as fast as flash but I am sure this ain't a Tsunami.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Adamrealman78: 11:29pm On Jun 19, 2016
Haha house,the water Lilly is densely packed on the river bed, that is why water is still flowing at the end of the bridge
Re: Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by Xyzaid(m): 11:43pm On Jun 19, 2016
the most surprising thing is that how can seaweeds be strong enough to withhold the weight of the people standing, running and even riding bicycle on it...see how they are standing on it like a solid ground.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UAE Creates Rain Using Drone Technology That Gives Cloud Electric Shock / Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State / This Animal Survived 24,000 Years Frozen In The Siberian Permafrost (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.