Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,672 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) (17034 Views)

Universities Charging Above N2,000 For Post-utme Must Refund Excess To Students, / Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped / Why Post-ume Test Must Stay: An Impressive Throwback Comment From Ui Former Vc. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by MsTIQ(m): 12:51am On Jun 21, 2016
Most of the people 'concuring' aren't even in school, or aspirants, and don't even know how credible Jamb is

Maybe when Jamb gets better, the Putme be scraped. But for now it should stay.

+ Even if there was no Putme, VC's list, 3rd list and the rest will always be there, maybe this time it'd be improved with Director's, Registrar's, Ministry's list.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by druxy(m): 4:11am On Jun 21, 2016
rexbuton:
Why Post Ume MUST be scrapped completely.

This is not a response thread to Matolysis's, as I find his interesting but bereft of facts and also lacks awareness of the current tertiary admission process. No apologies.

In our time it was strictly JAMB , if you score high, the higher your chances. Though there was malpractice then, JAMB has improved today especially with Computer based testing introduction.
I have wards who passed through the PUME process, which is significantly different from our time, for example, now many schools do not invite second choice for their screening and this is at variance with JAMB procedure. I am also an insider of sorts in the PUME process, and I'll use the Uniben scenario to give reasons why PUME is illegal and must be scrapped and defaulting schools prosecuted.

1. Post UME infringes on the sole power right of Jamb/UTME to give admissions. If you go through the JAMB act, it states that only the body has the right to conduct exams after charging fees, give undergraduate admissions, carryout placements in Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education. The universities are only supposed to send their requirements and preferences. The only exception is Post graduate admissions. But today Universities charge another amount , sometimes higher than JAMB's to conduct a parallel exam clearly defying the act, and give admissions using methods known to no one else. Uniben announced admission screening fee of 2000 and optional 1000 for past questions. But the reality is that, processing Uniben PUME/ ASE 2016 costs 3550. There is no option there, it just displays this amount and asks for MasterCard/Verve details.

2. Secondly, Post UME is not transparent, it is even more fraud prone than JAMB. CBT has greatly reduced fraud, eliminating text message answers, buying answers online and impersonation. We now have biometric check in and check out, and CBT even makes the exam easier to invigilate as candidates are forced to stare at their screens and nothing else. A bonus is the availability of system calculator which wasn't totally available in the era of pencil test.
BUT Pume is not even standardized, no preparation syllabus, some schools purposely set questions from A-Level just to be wicked and reduce number of successful people, others are known for giving very little time. And at the end they just send admission notification without pasting any list publicly and denying some admission even after surpassing the JAMB cutoff.

3. Post UME introduces avenues for special candidates getting better courses. Special candidates refers to Royal father's recommendees , governor's candidates , VC's candidates, staff children and state of origin waivers etc These sets of people would score less than others and must get admitted , in many cases get their course of choice.
In Uniben, to enter the college of Medicine, staff kids have their cutoff 10marks below regular cut off. So while a normal candidate aims for 70, they'll aim for 60. After taking the number of staff kids they want, the rest is filled with merit and government/royal candidates. And they all wrote the same JAMB. And the non staff candidates who fall under 60 < x < 70 are pushed to pharmacy and Life Sciences.
That is one reason why they do not release cutoff before results, as they need to fit in their people first and adjust and that's why majority of the post ume era medical graduates are children of doctors and professors; Not because Medicine runs in their veins but because corruption runs instead. There have also been reports of score upgrade in different schools including UNIBEN.
And That is what gives rise to fraudsters, result checkers and predators who take advantage of candidates giving them fake admission. And the school waits till final year exams before publishing lists of fake students, meanwhile they've been collecting school fees from 100L.

4. Post UME destroys the JAMB score. For instance , someone who scored 280 in JAMB would have his score divided by 8 giving 35 and this will be added to half the PUME score. Another person who scored 240 would see his score transformed to 30.. only 5 marks difference. Assuming the second guy scores 70 in PUMe and the first guy scores 60, after dividing by two and adding to both Jamb scores, the two aggregate scores would be equal! The PUME now more weighted than JAMB. That's why it is possible to "pass 220 and not enter school".
One would expect that the PUME score is the one divided and transformed after all it is the illegal exam!

5. PUME makes it difficult for Jamb to monitor admissions. An admission body that is relegated in its own game. One would expect that at this time parents would clamour for schools to start pasting their admission lists with raw scores attached. not a case of someone with 53 given Law and another person with 65 reading Foreign languages when they both put Law as first choice.
Jamb is still a major exam that can never be replaced by the schemes of money-for-grades lecturers.
Some may argue that Jamb scores are lower than students expect. This is because of Item Response Psychometric testing method, which is why people talk about negative marking etc. This method does not aggregate all the questions gotten correct, instead questions carry different marks depending on the set difficulty and depending on how many people answer that question.
And PUME has seen schools flooded with kids without emotional intelligence and they can't fend for themselves, they rush through and pass out and it doesn't even seem like they went to school.
I had to leave this thread in annoyance..I'll have be the FTC....that your no 5 is almost the dumbest thing I've ever heard..like really?psychometric what?jamb can't even explain the isssh....without putme do you know much duffers would be in unis....like this last jamb..I tell you 80% saw answers before sitting...I wrote the exam so I know... and now you want the exam supposed to weed them out scrapped..for real?all schools have their merit lists..even if jamb select students... there'll still be supplementary list...
just tell us....una be jamb agent.....I no go talk much cuz I see you are learned and older
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by rexbuton: 5:21am On Jun 21, 2016
druxy:
I had to leave this thread in annoyance..I'll have be the FTC....that your no 5 is almost the dumbest thing I've ever heard..like really?psychometric what?jamb can't even explain the isssh....without putme do you know much duffers would be in unis....like this last jamb..I tell you 80% saw answers before sitting...I wrote the exam so I know... and now you want the exam supposed to weed them out scrapped..for real?all schools have their merit lists..even if jamb select students... there'll still be supplementary list...
just tell us....una be jamb agent.....I no go talk much cuz I see you are learned and older

I agree the 5th point isn't what I wanted up there, pardon me, I wrote this post during an extremely boring meeting.

What I was trying say was that, JAMB using Item Response theory is one reason why people complained that the scores were not as they expected. The other reason being unpreparedness on the part of the student.
I agree that JAMB may not fully understand IRT, but they don't really need to, all they need is a tool or software running it and they get their results. I could give you an insight on the theory if you want.
Jamb has improved considerably, the only hitch is the ICT network issues which will normally improve with time.
Last JAMB 80% did NOT see answers before exam. People who wrote the exam know that they didn't even repeat questions except for the recommended text part. When questions leak, everyone knows.
Finally, some schools have excellent screening processes while those of the other majority are fraught with irregularities. What I expected from NLs is a call for transparency such as demanding that every school publishes admission list with raw scores, Parents being made aware of SERVICOM in federal schools as a means of querying perceived foul play.
Have a beautiful day
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by rexbuton: 5:36am On Jun 21, 2016
Diye:
The reason why PUTME can not be scrapped easily is that, schools will want to conduct their screening test by themselves, instead of allowing another exam body(JAMB) to do it for them. Secondly, the number of students that apply and pass JAMB cut-off marks are far greater than the number of students schools would want to admit for that academic session.

Scrapping PUTME would not solve admission problem, rather it will make the situation worst.

I don't think so.. it would be like the old days. Then the schools would give admissions based on Jamb score and choice. Assuming each department takes 100 students, they'll take the top 100 JAMB scores who put that course as first choice. That would be first batch. If his/her score doesn't fall within the top 100 in first choice, but enters second choice, then she is given. Second batch. The supplementary list would contain people with good scores who didn't make their first or second choice. These ones are redistributed and used to fill up the admission quota. And all the lists are published in the national dailies.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by rexbuton: 5:56am On Jun 21, 2016
alexis007:
Mr. Rex.. you can make yourself clearer than this. Try again.

Are you telling me that those aforementioned criteria would only exist if PUME exist I don't understand what you meant by the word "Easier".

As far as my limited knowledge is concerned. Something exist....or it doesn't. And mind you, all those criteria, are indelible in our universities' admission process...whether JAMB was the only entrance exam or whether there was a PUME alongside.

Our admission process is simple to understand.... get a very high score and find yourself a place among the select few in the merit list. Afterwards, it becomes a matter of money and connection.

This has been the practice for as long as I can remember.

It is normal to have recommendations, even far more rampant in the military. But there has always been a line, imaginary yet existent. If you followed what I wrote, I used the uniben med school to give an example. Everyone cannot score a very high score, 50% of students would fall between 25-75%, and even more real is the fact that the curve would be right skewed. So what happens to these people when they are forced to contend for slots with recommended students? And note that most of these recommendees have very low or average scores.
So saying that you should get a very high score is like saying everyone should score 300 which is impossible
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by rexbuton: 6:02am On Jun 21, 2016
Oliviaarims:
I was actually a victim of the P.UME politics or whatever it was they did.

OP said the screening fee is 3550. I asked earlier today at the main gate shopping complex. Was told it costs 4500.
The extra 950 is for the main gate boys
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Nobody: 7:10am On Jun 21, 2016
rexbuton:

The extra 950 is for the main gate boys

Ohh...
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Fabzgrace(f): 7:56am On Jun 21, 2016
rexbuton:

It is normal to have recommendations, even far more rampant in the military. But there has always been a line, imaginary yet existent. If you followed what I wrote, I used the uniben med school to give an example. Everyone cannot score a very high score, 50% of students would fall between 25-75%, and even more real is the fact that the curve would be right skewed. So what happens to these people when they are forced to contend for slots with recommended students? And note that most of these recommendees have very low or average scores.
So saying that you should get a very high score is like saying everyone should score 300 which is impossible
even if post utme is scrapped, there'll still be vc's list and special candidates because UNIBEN does not release cut-offs.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by alexis007(m): 9:36pm On Jun 21, 2016
rexbuton:

In reply...admission race is like heavenly race...you're on your own. Your last sentence though....

If only you wrote last year's UNN post-utme...you'd have known better. 300 was a score for the 'diligent average' student. Don't take my word for it; ask around.

And don't forget my issue so quickly too...I strongly assert that the 'recommendees' would always have their place...whether the entrance exam is JAMB alone or not.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by DrinkWater10: 11:55pm On Jun 21, 2016
rexbuton:
W
I just sent you a PM sir, Please reply.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by rexbuton: 5:48am On Jun 22, 2016
DrinkWater10:
I just sent you a PM sir, Please reply.
Replied
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by DrinkWater10: 11:13pm On Jun 23, 2016
rexbuton:
Replied
Sir Thanks. Another mail just flew in.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Junior Waec Time Table 2017 (in Picture) / Nigerian Law School Releases August 2018 Results, Sets Dates For Call To Bar / Babcock Won't Let My Sis Graduate Despite CGPA Of 4.3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.