Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,839 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? (41124 Views)

"For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? / Polygamy - Insatiable Desire For Multiple Wives / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
mrZENographer:

Only the first woman is your wife and approved by God. You are commiting adultery with the rest matthew 19:9 because God did not approve it. They are not your wives. WIVES is not in God's dictionary.

They will return to their father's house and wait till a suitable person comes. The converted man can still fend for them and the children till they are well-settled.

Its a mistake that has to be undone.

Complete and 100% Rubbish.

7 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Scholar8200(m): 2:34pm On Jun 21, 2016
frosbel2:

Let us apply your logic to scripture and remember even Paul referred to scripture ( not the new testament ) as ;
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," - 2 Timothy 3:16
No problem.

Now , in the so called New Testament, Jesus said that the only reason why Moses permitted divorce in the ancient days , was due to the hardness of heart of his people in the context of divorce. It was never about marrying another wife , it was about putting away a wife or wives. There is no other reason Jesus gave in relation to their hardness of heart, like marrying multiple women for example.
Read Matthew 19 again. Jesus spoke about marrying another woman while the first was still alive and called it adultery.

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Matthew 19:9

Now, it will be erroneous to interpret the above to mean you can marry another provided you dont put the first away! shocked

The Bible says that God does not change, in other words he expects the same standards from ALL mankind whether they lived 1 million or 10 years ago.
And His plans for man has been unfolding gradually since the fall. Jesus, not me, highlighted the issue of hardness of heart allowed for under the old testament!

Now you say this but forget that the Paul spoke about Bishops and Deacons having ONE wife! Were they going to get married before becoming Bishops and Deacons or after And wont they first be disciples before becoming Bishops and Deacons?

Danger starts when having passed a stage, we go back to revive the "stones from the rubbish" of that which God had annulled, though permitted initially.

Using your logic we can call David, Jacob, Abraham and many others SERIAL ADULTERERS because they married MORE THAN ONE WOMAN, yet God never condemned them, in fact he called them righteous and loved them. David was condemned and punished for adultery not because he had many wives but because he slept with , and impregnated another man's wife and then had him killed. Solomon was not condemned because he had many wives and even concubines, he was condemned and punished because he married heathen women who took his heart away from God. None of these great men were told to drive away their other wives and remain with the first one.
Once again, Jesus, not me, highlighted the fact that certain things were allowed in the Old Testament because of the hardness of heart. The New testament addresses this hence it is called a Better covenant. Would you manage to prove that ANY of the disciples/apostles had 2 or more wives? We have Aquila and Priscilla (neither Bishops nor Apostles they), Paul spoke that the Apostles led about(I quote)

... a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
1 Corinth 9:5
Why didnt they, like you are claiming, compare themselves to David? And did they get married after becoming apostles or before?

All through the NT can you support or back up polygamy with just one verse, expressedly or impliedly? Matthew 19 runs in the same tenor with Jesus saying, "ye have heard that... but I say unto you" meaning this is the NT, those things overlooked due to hardness of heart and the limit of the law are no more permissible under the NT!

The suggestion that a man who has 4 wives should get rid of the later 3 with their children is unscriptural, evil, wicked, mad , stupid, devilish and not from GOD at all
Nice retort brother! Show me a proof that the other 3 are 'wives' to start with. By what arrangement? Matthew 19? Malachi 2:14-16? or Frosbel's book of surmisings?! undecided

, it is a figment of imagination in the minds of MOG followers who stick to the words of their pastors and their warped interpretation of scripture, without reasoning things out for themselves.
Interesting. And yet folks like you will be quick to call for the head of the 'MOG' that marries a second wife!

I personally have ONE WIFE and would not marry another purely because more than ONE WOMAN = STRESS AND TROUBLE and increased Financial commitment in this modern time, not because I can't !!!

Congrats.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Talk2nanro(m): 3:51pm On Jun 21, 2016
eph12:

You won't believe if I tell you that Bible instructed Christians to have one man one wife.
Shut up u liar, saying what you have no knowledge of. as for the op, your answer is to remain with them

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Talk2nanro(m): 3:56pm On Jun 21, 2016
histemple:

We may need to ask why King Dave and Solo were God's most loved people in bible history if polygamy was a sin.
which verse of the bible states that solomon was among God's most loved, only David was. the favour solomon got from God was because of David

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Talk2nanro(m): 4:06pm On Jun 21, 2016
Abra4real:
Okay, let me chip in at this point. Among all those replies above me, I haven't seen any that answered it very well. Note that I'm not replying to fight or argue (fact check, if you quote me, I won't reply, except when necessary e.g. answering a thought-provoking question), I'm actually replying to adhere to what the Bible tells me.

Jude 3 says, Beloved when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnest contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

First, someone mentioned that God hates divorce. Here's the verse to back that up: Malachi 2 vs 14-16:

14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet yet she is thy companion, and the wife of thine covenant.

15 And did not make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away [of your wife, which is divorce]: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Did you notice the part that says God hates putting away? For God to say that, there must be something at stake. Because clearly, in Matthew 5 vs 22, But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgement...

Even hating your fellow human isn't allowed. But you should also notice that God didn't say I hate the person. He simply hates putting away.

About having multiple wifes, hear it from the horses' mouth, in Matthew 19 vs 9, And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, COMMITTED ADULTERY: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Now, I read some comments that said what if a whole village got saved and were extremely polygamous? Well, you have to know that the God we serve, the Alpha and the Omega does not change (Malachi 3 vs 6, For I am the LORD, I change not...) and even if the whole world says they don't want to change, he won't change his words.

Many people think we just go to church, sing, carry Bible on Sundays, wear suit and tie, and say "God bless you" on our way to church. For your information, it's more than that. If you can't live with that simple fact, then I'm afraid you're not yet serious.

In the Biblical sense, a first wife is only recognized. Think about this for a moment. When someone is getting married, the vow says, Till Death Do You Part. What do you think that means?

Only after a partner dies does the other partner has the freedom... TO MARRY ANOTHER PERSON... TO HAVE SEX WITH ANOTHER PERSON. Chikena.

So, if death hasn't done them apart, forget about it.

Now, somebody says what if they were married the same day. You mean, simultaneously? As in, each wife stands at the altar and were consenting to the marriage? That's obvious now. The first woman that takes the vow is the real wife.

Some people still don't give a hoot about what I wrote, but they are the first that will carry the news when the likes of Pastor Kumuyi, of all people, makes a mistake (God forbid!)

They'll go, "Ah! Come and see! The holy-holy preacher has done something. He was caught redhanded."

Now the man decides to remarry because death has parted the union he has with his former wife and these same people groaned, "Ah-an! What is it with this pastor sef? Na only him waka come?"

People ehn!
writing long jargon does not make you deviate from the part of ignorance, you have no knowledge of the bible. just keep quiet and listen

3 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Talk2nanro(m): 4:41pm On Jun 21, 2016
frosbel2:

Let us apply your logic to scripture and remember even Paul referred to scripture ( not the new testament ) as ;
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," - 2 Timothy 3:16

Now , in the so called New Testament, Jesus said that the only reason why Moses permitted divorce in the ancient days , was due to the hardness of heart of his people in the context of divorce. It was never about marrying another wife , it was about putting away a wife or wives. There is no other reason Jesus gave in relation to their hardness of heart, like marrying multiple women for example.

The Bible says that God does not change, in other words he expects the same standards from ALL mankind whether they lived 1 million or 10 years ago.

Using your logic we can call David, Jacob, Abraham and many others SERIAL ADULTERERS because they married MORE THAN ONE WOMAN, yet God never condemned them, in fact he called them righteous and loved them. David was condemned and punished for adultery not because he had many wives but because he slept with , and impregnated another man's wife and then had him killed. Solomon was not condemned because he had many wives and even concubines, he was condemned and punished because he married heathen women who took his heart away from God. None of these great men were told to drive away their other wives and remain with the first one.

The suggestion that a man who has 4 wives should get rid of the later 3 with their children is unscriptural, evil, wicked, mad , stupid, devilish and not from GOD at all, it is a figment of imagination in the minds of MOG followers who stick to the words of their pastors and their warped interpretation of scripture, without reasoning things out for themselves.

I personally have ONE WIFE and would not marry another purely because more than ONE WOMAN = STRESS AND TROUBLE and increased Financial commitment in this modern time, not because I can't !!!

my friend you have perfect understanding of the scripture, and i believe the spirit taught you these things and disregard those apostate saying evil because they have not been giving wisdom

3 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 4:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
Talk2nanro:
Shut up u liar, saying what you have no knowledge of. as for the op, your answer is to remain with them
Have you heard of restitution before? Do you know what it's about?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Scholar8200(m): 6:17pm On Jun 21, 2016
eph12:

Have you heard of restitution before? Do you know what it's about?
I am surprised! Even Jesus affirmed that the woman who had had 5 husbands was with another man who He/she affirmed was not hers! They cohabited, he (the other 5 and the current ones) played the role of husband, the warped society called them husbands, but before the Lord, they were not hers. Now translate this to the man that had more than one wife!

Besides, these folks are the ones that perhaps would call Zacchaeus foolish for restoring all that he had got falsely!

God help us from these peddlers of damnable heresies!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by malvisguy212: 7:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
Scholar8200:
No problem.

Read Matthew 19 again. Jesus spoke about marrying another woman while the first was still alive and called it adultery.

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Matthew 19:9

Now, it will be erroneous to interpret the above to mean you can marry another provided you dont put the first away! shocked

And His plans for man has been unfolding gradually since the fall. Jesus, not me, highlighted the issue of hardness of heart allowed for under the old testament!

Now you say this but forget that the Paul spoke about Bishops and Deacons having ONE wife! Were they going to get married before becoming Bishops and Deacons or after And wont they first be disciples before becoming Bishops and Deacons?

Danger starts when having passed a stage, we go back to revive the "stones from the rubbish" of that which God had annulled, though permitted initially.

Once again, Jesus, not me, highlighted the fact that certain things were allowed in the Old Testament because of the hardness of heart. The New testament addresses this hence it is called a Better covenant. Would you manage to prove that ANY of the disciples/apostles had 2 or more wives? We have Aquila and Priscilla (neither Bishops nor Apostles they), Paul spoke that the Apostles led about(I quote)

... a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
1 Corinth 9:5
Why didnt they, like you are claiming, compare themselves to David? And did they get married after becoming apostles or before?

All through the NT can you support or back up polygamy with just one verse, expressedly or impliedly? Matthew 19 runs in the same tenor with Jesus saying, "ye have heard that... but I say unto you" meaning this is the NT, those things overlooked due to hardness of heart and the limit of the law are no more permissible under the NT!

Nice retort brother! Show me a proof that the other 3 are 'wives' to start with. By what arrangement? Matthew 19? Malachi 2:14-16? or Frosbel's book of surmisings?! undecided

Interesting. And yet folks like you will be quick to call for the head of the 'MOG' that marries a second wife!

Congrats.
Great bro, good one.
Talk2nanro:
my friend you have perfect understanding of the scripture, and i believe the spirit taught you these things and disregard those apostate saying evil because they have not been giving wisdom
please, re-read frosbel post again and read scholar reply. Because david , abraham and others marry more than one wife that mean its isn't adultery ? God sanction the sending away of abraham second wife hagger, and for david, david pay for his sins, solomon heart was turn away from God by his wives. The union of marriage was sanction in Genesis, when God created adam and eve and enjoined them as ONE flesh.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Scholar8200(m): 8:09pm On Jun 21, 2016
malvisguy212:
Great bro, good one. please, re-read frosbel post again and read scholar reply. Because david , abraham and others marry more than one wife that mean its isn't adultery ? God sanction the sending away of abraham second wife haggai, and for david, david pay for his sins, solomon heart was turn away from God by his wives. The union of marriage was sanction in Genesis, when God created adam and eve and enjoined them as ONE flesh.
Indeed, as per the highlighted, God declared that He hates divorce but this case, the woman in question was not a wife in the truest, Scriptural sense of the Word!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by malvisguy212: 8:55pm On Jun 21, 2016
Scholar8200:
Indeed, as per the highlighted, God declared that He hates divorce but this case, the woman in question was not a wife in the truest, Scriptural sense of the Word!!!
thank you, just as you pointed it out for frosbel, if MOG should take a second wife, frosbel will be the first to rain curse on him. I love your reply bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
ettaetta:
I know Modern day christianity condems polygamy and the bible condems divorce, so my quetion now is? If a man has multiple wives and becomes a Christian, what is he supposed to do?
Take proper care of ALL the wives and children, like a proper Christian should

3 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by talk2alabama: 9:14pm On Jun 21, 2016
King Solomon was a man after God's heart yet he had a thousand women at his court.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by banme1(m): 9:16pm On Jun 21, 2016
Send the deputy and assistance wives away
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by frond: 9:17pm On Jun 21, 2016
eph12:
Christianity recognises the first wife as the legitimate wife

This is erroneous. Which christianity? Where in the Bible?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Toosure70: 9:18pm On Jun 21, 2016
ettaetta:
is polygamy not a sin?
not a sin period

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by SUPOL(m): 9:18pm On Jun 21, 2016
Covert them 2
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by santos247(m): 9:18pm On Jun 21, 2016
The bible does not in any place state that a polygamist should or must divorce his extra wives once he becomes a christian.

Every acation He does before he becomes a christian is as good as error..Marrying the first, 2nd or 3rd wife. All was done outside of God's perfect will.
He that marries somebody that has been divorced is also guilty according to the bible. So those divorced women should re-main unmarried for life
God's package of reconcilliation is not to burden us to to make us strong.
If you marry a witch, God does not love divorce. Stay with her. How much more a second, 3rd of 4th wife.

Keep them all in your home and enjoy the Love of the father !!!!

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by tintingz(m): 9:18pm On Jun 21, 2016
See question, they are still legitimate in marriage.

90% Prophets and men of God in the bible married multiple wives and yet God still love them and never condemned them.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by hotspec(m): 9:19pm On Jun 21, 2016
eph12:

You won't believe if I tell you that Bible instructed Christians to have one man one wife.
Kindly let me no.d verse
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by grandlexuz(m): 9:19pm On Jun 21, 2016
He should keep the one the loves most and give the others to Christ..
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Malakh: 9:21pm On Jun 21, 2016
Polygamy is acceptable in Judaism, dont know about you pagan xtians
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by olushy: 9:21pm On Jun 21, 2016
@ lilmax. 1million 4 u
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by egojiokwu(m): 9:21pm On Jun 21, 2016
lilmax:
If a girl looses her virginity and becomes a christain what is she supposed to do? grin

She is suppose to look for her virginity and put it back
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 21, 2016
eph12:

Please I want to know. I will believe you.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Taryur3(m): 9:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
The question is made to be for my oga at the top.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Toosure70: 9:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
Repeat the question on Sunday.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Obeenah(m): 9:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
F00028:

what if the first wife doesn't become christian but the second wife does?

Exactly. If he truly is a Christian. He must let go of the other women. I.e 2nd, 3rd et al.

The Bible talks about the wife of your youth and being one with 1 woman.

I could go on but these verses can easily be found even if you Google them. Thank you.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by DonCortino: 9:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
ettaetta:
is polygamy not a sin?
Who told u its a sin?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by santos247(m): 9:25pm On Jun 21, 2016
We must be careful to make assertions for God. The woman should go but the children should be catered for?? Lol. The tree should be cut but the fruits should be collected in a barn and kept for next year planting isnt it
See, God does not subscribe to polygamy. Nevertheless, he also hates putting away.
Whosoever marries a woman divorced comitts adultery.
So those women should remain unmarried?? You think that's God's plan?

I doubt it. On the side of caution, keep your wives and stay in the path of Jesus. You wont loose heaven because you were a polygamist before you met Jesus

Scholar8200:
Indeed God hates divorce, but divorce only comes up where marriage existed. Malachi 2:14-16 speaks on terms of the wife (not wives) of thy youth. It also said God made BOTH ONE. Emphasizing that it is between 2 not more. Besides, Jesus established this when He quoted Genesis that they are no more 2( not 3 or more) but 1.

Now realise that certain things passed under the OT due to hardness of heart and limited revelation which we cannot emulate in the NT! Eg polygamy. For a married man to think of taking another wife means he had been committing adultery in his heart, admiring and desiring another woman while his wife was alive!!!

Hence the other 'wives' will go and the first remains! But of course, the children of the other women are to be catered for by the man.

Since Jesus taught that marriage to a divorcee is adultery, I wonder how some here seek to justify marriage to a married man!!!

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by AntiWailer: 9:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
lilmax:
If a girl looses her virginity and becomes a christain what is she supposed to do? grin

She should remain 'disvajin' grin

I feel u.

Nice one .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

William Kumuyi Celebrates His 80th Birthday. Buhari Congratulates Him / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God? / Chris Okotie Celebrates His 60th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.