Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,926 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (69508 Views)

Removed / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Mirah Mehta-young American Lady Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Northern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by joshk(m): 2:25pm On Jun 21, 2016
Is good to have money.if she does not have capital how will it be possible.every body has an idea but na money be koko.to even get an acres of land is money not to talk of the machines used on d farm.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by wayodude(m): 2:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
Smart chic. If only safety and power wasn't an issue we would have had a stampede of foreign investors scrambling for involvement in our land of milk and honey.

My business plan is guarded. I'll be there...when the time is right for me lol
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 2:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
Etinosajay:

Do you know the cost implication of commercial farming on 2 acres? Let alone 100 heactares of land?

Try and Google who this woman is. You will know she studied this at Harvard, and she has finance to run this thing.

Or you think she studied computer science at Harvard and came to Nigeria to farm tomato?
Dont we have Nigerian rich enough to acquire these lands?.... That is exactly what I'm talking about, Nigeria isnt made up of only poor unemployed graduates who cant organise lands for farming.

Besides acquiring the land, there's also an option of hiring a massive expanse of land at a much cheaper rate.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by JAWBONE(m): 2:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
Beware of Fulani herdsmen though
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by codemaniacs: 2:34pm On Jun 21, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

The ordinary commoner in the north hardly benefits from the oil money, only the few elites at the top do, that is why we are not even bothered and can boldly tell the ND or anyone who ignorantly calls us parasites to go and drink their so call oyel while we are happy to hold on to what we already got - tomato (that many foolishly underestimate) just one among many.

Jos is middlebelt/ central Nigeria. Its not part of northern Nigeria.

Northern Nigeria likes claiming central Nigeria.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 2:34pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
Dont we have Nigerian rich enough to acquire these lands?.... That is exactly what I'm talking about, Nigeria isnt made up of only poor unemployed graduates who cant organise lands for farming.

Besides acquiring the land, there's also an option of hiring a massive expanse of land at a much cheaper rate.

And you think farming ends with acquiring land?

Like I answered some persons before, there are thousands of Nigerians (young n elderly) graduate and non graduate engaging in commercial farming per size desired. (crop production, pig farming, fish farming, fruit farming, etc)

You won't hear of them, because it's not news. Only when a white lady entrepreneur does it, that's when it's news because the papers, tabloids and blogs want to make money.

You eat fruits too, don't you? Who farms those? Aren't they Nigerians?

Most people here clapping and scolding and labelling Nigerians as lazy, don't know so much. They just want to be what the next successful person is, every minute.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 2:40pm On Jun 21, 2016
Welcomme:
Nigga, I cant envy evrybody but I just told u d truth. I am okay with my B.sc. To me, going for masters now is an absolute waste of my time.

Which constitution or culture is compelling you to study for Masters? Isn't it your choice to make?

Aren't there people working with only BSc in Nigeria?

I don't know what your point is.

Even this oyibo profile that is inspiring you to drop out of school, she studied MBA at Harvard. Isn't that a masters degree?

You can't be different people every new day.

I hope you didn't consider selling bread, when you heard olajumoke's story.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Willie2015: 2:40pm On Jun 21, 2016
landinfo:

Boy, did u read where it was written that "she owns several acres of land" which cost Millions of Naira

The summary of my talk is that she was rich/wealthy enough before cum-ng into the country just like the Jewish/Israeli millionaires farmers farming in Kwara state

Note: She is not POOOOOR abeg so u guys should not equate her with Nigerians suffering or looking for white-collar jobs abeeeeeg

We need orientation in Nigeria, how much is the cost of an acre of land ?

An acre of land even on Nairaland cost between 50k to 70k, Ikire,Ogbomosho, Iwo etc. if you move to some inner villages, you can get it cheap.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by MduZA: 2:41pm On Jun 21, 2016
HandOfChukwu:
Yes, because they only come to Africa to exploit the land and the resources so they can boost their own nations economies thus leaving Africa at bottom of the barrel forever. In South Africa the whites own everything meaning the Africans have nothing and remain in shacks for all their lives.

You must find sense. Whites have never been a friend to Africa and they never will. We must control our own land or we will never get anywhere. Ask China.

Am in Johannesburg,you will hardly see a white person in the city and surrounding towns and suburbs...according to you these are shacks...you can make your point heared without mentioning SA.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 2:49pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pamelayoung:

B4 you crucify me nigerians are hypocrite cos it's a white woman it has become news worthy. Aren't there local farmers doing same? Some even needs to be aided on how to store these produce yet theirs voices are not being heard, others who can't afford to buy large hectares are not encouraged now a white woman shows up and they gladly sell or even gave her their lands 4 free mtcheeeeew! U knw wat am talking about stop pretending
There is absolutely no hypocrisy about this. Oh yes Nigeria has farmers doing this but we need thousands, if not millions of more people doing this. And yes, this is definitely news worthy because the person involved is a Harvard product, a non-Nigerian and a white woman; this is glaringly a different case so I see no reason why you regard this reportage as hypocrisy.

Regarding the ability of Nigerians buying large hectares, are you trying to suggest that we have absolutely no Nigerians who can buy large hectares? ... why is it that whenever the topic of 'Nigerians not involved in farming' is discussed, some people only begin to see it as an advise to poor unemployed graduates?

Besides the plethora of rich people in Nigeria who can equally afford these lands, the fact is that land for farming doesnt even necessarily need to be bought.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 21, 2016
candidbabe:
Kudos to this lady.
I am a graduate running a restaurant business and people around me are thinking I have lost my senses because l resigned from a company where I worked.
There is nothing that gives you pleasure like being your own boss, totally in control of everything.

Kudos to you
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Baroba(m): 2:51pm On Jun 21, 2016
She is a business woman, she saw an opportunity and went for it.. This is a million naira investment not your typical local farming.. Kudos to her..
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by fadigalfemi(m): 2:53pm On Jun 21, 2016
Good work dear white.......
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 2:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
Bollinger:

Look beyond what she has done. Think of the financial support she has/had to make it happen. That is the difference. Do you know how many millions would have to be invested to be able to do what she is doing? That is the difference between the west and Africa. The west provides opportunities to succeed anywhere in the world. Nigeria doesn't. Also, just so you know she will have to pay tax in Nigeria and the U.S. She will pay tax in America for her business in Nigeria because America created the opportunity for her to be able to go to harvard, graduate, and later source for funds to set up a business in Nigeria. Sounds weird right? Like i said, don't just look at the now. Assess all the factors. Nigerians need to start wrapping their heads around the concept of how successful countries do things.
This doesnt change or invalidate my earlier post. I see no reason why more Nigerians, including state and LGs, private enterprises, our multitude of rich men buying luxury cars and planes and yachts etc cant go into farming.

When I say more people should go into farming, I'm not automatically referring to only poor people.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by ItsMeAboki(m): 2:59pm On Jun 21, 2016
codemaniacs:

Jos is middlebelt/ central Nigeria. Its not part of northern Nigeria.

Northern Nigeria likes claiming central Nigeria.

Its obvious you no go school, all I can say.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by bigiyaro(m): 2:59pm On Jun 21, 2016
emmykk:
she is not the ordinary kind of tomatoes farmer you see everydayooooo

nairalanders wise up to propangda just google her name,she raise capital worth millions to start her tin tomatoes company in jos like dangote tomatoes company in kano

make any people nor deceive us say we are lazy.i know our people here in nairaland will take her for a local farmer.

just like if i tell you that a certificateless man is president in 1africa country

tomatoes farmer get grade
but anyhow she started something.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by hopeforcharles(m): 3:02pm On Jun 21, 2016
Etinosajay:

So what is blocking your way?

Tell us
Agriculture esp farming and cultivation require person management and observation, its not wise you leave it in the hands of someone else or one should be ready for lostes, i am actively into it but on a buy bulk from farmers and ware house it
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2016
emmykk:
she is not the ordinary kind of tomatoes farmer you see everydayooooo

nairalanders wise up to propangda just google her name,she raise capital worth millions to start her tin tomatoes company in jos like dangote tomatoes company in kano

make any people nor deceive us say we are lazy.i know our people here in nairaland will take her for a local farmer.

just like if i tell you that a certificateless man is president in 1africa country

tomatoes farmer get grade
The simple point is, dont we have at least 10,000 Nigerians who are richer than her?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by mikolo80: 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
Can someone please tell me why more Nigerians can't do this?.. Oh i forgot, we're all waiting for oil money from ND. And even when the ND oil money isn't forthcoming, we all have Buhari to blame.

its easy to farm when you have access to $300,000 investment seed capital

http://www.tori.ng/news/33158/tomato-jos-meet-mira-metha-the-harvard-graduate-wh.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 3:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
hopeforcharles:

Agriculture esp farming and cultivation require person management and observation, its not wise you leave it in the hands of someone else or one should be ready for lostes, i am actively into it but on a buy bulk from farmers and ware house it

Good. So when you people expect every Tom, dick and Harry to farm, remember those your words in bold.

It is for that reason you're not into farming. You're into buying and selling
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Rubyventures: 3:08pm On Jun 21, 2016
quickly:

why r u so myopic...any body that can bring development shd be welcomed

What about the Africans that own property in Europe and America. Are Africans really cursed to the point where they will not want progress, this is a form of foreign investment, She has even floated her company, this will bring jobs for the locals. When the white man comes to Africa they create jobs when the African goes to Europe they take Jobs grin grin grin.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 3:09pm On Jun 21, 2016
mikolo80:

its easy to farm when you have access to $300,000 investment seed capital

http://www.tori.ng/news/33158/tomato-jos-meet-mira-metha-the-harvard-graduate-wh.html
My point is simple, are there not at least over 10,000 Nigerians with far more than that amount sitting in their bank accounts?... What about the big private businesses, state governments, private corporations, LGs, past and present political leaders etc, are we saying all Nigerians are poor an we can't get people who can raise a mere $300k to replicate what the woman is doing and thereby create more jobs for other Nigerians (who cant afford to raise that amount)?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by bigcil2(m): 3:11pm On Jun 21, 2016
Available forsake acres of farm land in Abeokuta Ogun state staring from #120,000 per acre.

Check my recent topics for my contact details
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 3:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
mrvitalis:
A man from China came abs said u can pick money on the streets of Nigeria... I doubted but now my eyes have opened

Anybody above 35 carrying poverty in this country is a lazy f**l

How did he go about it ? What exactly does he do ?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by mikolo80: 3:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
My point is simple, are there not at least over 10,000 Nigerians with far more than that amount sitting in their bank accounts?... What about the big private businesses, state governments, private corporations, LGs, past and present political leaders etc, are we saying all Nigerians are poor an we can't get people who can raise a mere $300k to replicate what the woman is doing and thereby create more jobs for other Nigerians (who cant afford to raise that amount)?
rich nigerians are already rich.
they do not need the investment.
they do not want the investment.
poor nigerians need it.
they do not want it.
nobody wants to farm.
rich people do not need to help poor people
they do not want to help poor ppl
so there you have it
we are a complacent ,content and lazy ppl
comfortable in our local shampionism
until we need to make money,(need not want) we will continue misbehaving
but don't worry we are almost there
we will soon start investing as little as 3000 naira in any and everything
at least the next 1% will anyway
BTW why you no do am if e easy
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 3:14pm On Jun 21, 2016
Etinosajay:

And you think farming ends with acquiring land?

Like I answered some persons before, there are thousands of Nigerians (young n elderly) graduate and non graduate engaging in commercial farming per size desired. (crop production, pig farming, fish farming, fruit farming, etc)

You won't hear of them, because it's not news. Only when a white lady entrepreneur does it, that's when it's news because the papers, tabloids and blogs want to make money.

You eat fruits too, don't you? Who farms those? Aren't they Nigerians?

Most people here clapping and scolding and labelling Nigerians as lazy, don't know so much. They just want to be what the next successful person is, every minute.
Nope, I am not clapping but I am scolding. Yes we have lots of Nigerians doing what the lady is doing but we can do much better. We need millions more doing the same thing for Nigeria to break away from the shackles of poverty and 3rd world status.

Now you ask why it is news because a white lady is doing it?... Answer is simple, it is news because it a white lady doing it. If we have a white man today in Benin as a commercial okada man, it will definitely be news too; that is not to say we do not have over 10 million Nigerian okada men.

By the way, with your first sentence, are you by any means justifying why many more Nigerians aren't or shouldn't go into farming?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
Brilliant! While young nigerians are more interested in becoming a musician, actor and fashion models or waiting for God to answer their calls grin
Nigerians are the dumbest people on earth
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Bollinger(m): 3:17pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
This doesnt change or invalidate my earlier post. I see no reason why more Nigerians, including state and LGs, private enterprises, our multitude of rich men buying luxury cars and planes and yachts etc cant go into farming.

When I say more people should go into farming, I'm not automatically referring to only poor people.

I get it.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by mikolo80: 3:20pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
Nope, I am not clapping but I am scolding. Yes we have lots of Nigerians doing what the lady is doing but we can do much better. We need millions more doing the same thing for Nigeria to break away from the shackles of poverty and 3rd world status.

Now you ask why it is news because a white lady is doing it?... Answer is simple, it is news because it a white lady doing it. If we have a white man today in Benin as a commercial okada man, it will definitely be news too; that is not to say we do not have over 10 million Nigerian okada men.

By the way, with your first sentence, are you by any means justifying why many more Nigerians aren't or shouldn't go into farming?
we actually need less people "doing" anything.
but we can teach farmers to register as cooperatives,partnerships,private or public limited companies and sell shares to raise capital
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by realnas(m): 3:20pm On Jun 21, 2016
HandOfChukwu:
I employ myself, I'm not a lazy, uneducated person. Allowing foreigners to own African land is never a good thing, ask our Zulu friends down south, they will tell you. If Nigerians are so sad and pathetic that they can't operate a simple tomato farm then we might as well be allow ourselves to be re-colonised.
oga the land use Act of 1978 vests ownership of all land in nigeria in the hands of the federal govt ,the governors of ech stte act as custodians to in relation to land located within their respectve states,the hv the power to issue certificate of occupancy otherwise known as CofO which is a lease that runs for about 99yrs so as u can see the chances of a foreign individual or corporation “stealing” land are quite slim if not impossibe
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:22pm On Jun 21, 2016
Rubyventures:

but you can start small like using small containers in your back yard, it is very easy to grow tomatoes, the cuttings from one plant can be regrown and you will soon have a full farm of tomatoes. A lazy man always looks for excuses.

Don't be obnoxious! I have relatives that have been farming for decades in the village and still don't own a farm on acres of land. Without external funding this level of farming is impossible to attain?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by HandOfChukwu: 3:22pm On Jun 21, 2016
MduZA:

Am in Johannesburg,you will hardly see a white person in the city and surrounding towns and suburbs...according to you these are shacks...you can make your point heared without mentioning SA.
Liar, you and your parents know your land is ruled by the Europeans inhabiting your land, they own all the farms, they own all the manufacturing and they own all your people, even the Indians own more than your people. Ask Juju Malema.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dwarf Plantian sucker and dwarf banana sucker is available. / Photos Of An Igbo Herdswoman Who Is A UNN Graduate / How I Converted My Piece Of Land To Money (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.