Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (69511 Views)

Removed / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Mirah Mehta-young American Lady Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Northern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 4:51pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
I did not exclude myself from the bashing, even though I am not presently resident in Nigeria.
is Good to know that you haven't excluded yourself, but you are the one who left nigeria and ran to a foreign country *jokes* smiley i am also included, although i was born in England by nigerian parents embarassed, question now is? How can we make nigeria better? Instead of looking in from outside nigeria
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by OROSUNBOLB(m): 4:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
Kudos Agent Mira Metha! CIA is proud of you!
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by kannymoore(m): 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
HandOfChukwu:
You are myopic, she is trying to take over an industry in Nigeria which will only be good for her long term and how do you know she is not here to introduce GMO disease causing produce to Nigeria to poison us? How do you know she's not a CIA agent here to help boko or create other problems? You must learn to think outside of the box when it comes to the whites because they are the snake from the Bible. Any time whites say they coming to help there is always and ulterior motif.

Mma Abasi!!....youre daft!

I've been following your write up on this thread and have noticed that you've got not one position thing to say about this wonderful woman.
If only you know the breath of fresh air this woman has brought to tomato farmers up north. You wouldn't be spewing the nonsense you're spewing right now.

Most tomato farmers, by going into a venture partnership programme with tomato jos are making over 300% profits compared to the huge losses they used to incure until recently.

Apart from Dangote who has also started making serious headway into the tomato farming and processing business, no other NiGERIAN including you and I has thought of making serious investments in tomato business at the scale that these two people bringing to fore.

Next time, if you have absolutely nothing to contribute when people bring creative ideas to tackle national issues that would benefit all and sundry, i'd suggest you either keep mum or move on another thread..abeg!

Jeez!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Roks(m): 5:02pm On Jun 21, 2016
Davinex:
And we complain of unemployment. SMH
when you don't see value in what u have, people with vision will take it from you.
It's time we clear the cobwebs.

She went to Harvard which is not a school for poor man and she has acres of tomato plantation, which doesn't come cheap, I can guarantee you that if most Nigerians have the same opportunity that she had, they will make good use of it
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by booblacain(m): 5:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pavore9:
While many feel farming is beneath them! Money is not the foremost resource needed to go into Agriculture, it is knowledge. There are threads where Nigerians are using used sacks and unused spaces to grow cucumbers, harvesting fresh looking produce!

Pls how is this done and where can I read and learn more about it?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Pavore9: 5:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
booblacain:

Pls how is this done and where can I read and learn more about it?

https://www.nairaland.com/3135978/vertical-sack-farming-pains-joy
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by charlove(m): 6:08pm On Jun 21, 2016
mrvitalis:
A man from China came abs said u can pick money on the streets of Nigeria... I doubted but now my eyes have opened

Anybody above 35 carrying poverty in this country is a lazy f**l

u re d compound fool!
do u know hw many pple barely feed or even have a place to stay?
do you know dat to start a farm biz requires u owning a land in d first place?
to get seedlings and machinery nko?
mayb u re just kid
or an adult wearing diapers!

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Adeyeancah(m): 6:09pm On Jun 21, 2016
candidbabe:
Kudos to this lady.
I am a graduate running a restaurant business and people around me are thinking I have lost my senses because l resigned from a company where I worked.
There is nothing that gives you pleasure like being your own boss, totally in control of everything.

dear, where's your restaurant @? would love to patronize you...and can see your place of worship is close to my area

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 6:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
A lot might be going on, but a lot more still needs to be done.

Yes, a lot more needs to be done. Same thing in america where she comes from. Don't you hear them complaining everyday?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 21, 2016
veekid:
Nigerians can't farm

Nigerians WONT farm
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Thobiy(m): 6:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
candidbabe:
Kudos to this lady.
I am a graduate running a restaurant business and people around me are thinking I have lost my senses because l resigned from a company where I worked.
There is nothing that gives you pleasure like being your own boss, totally in control of everything.

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Thobiy(m): 6:34pm On Jun 21, 2016
emmykk:
she is not the ordinary kind of tomatoes farmer you see everydayooooo

nairalanders wise up to propangda just google her name,she raise capital worth millions to start her tin tomatoes company in jos like dangote tomatoes company in kano

make any people nor deceive us say we are lazy.i know our people here in nairaland will take her for a local farmer.
just like if i tell you that a certificateless man is president in 1africa country
tomatoes farmer get grade
Correct
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Thobiy(m): 6:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
9jii:
Im always ready to leave my fine gov.job for farming.
But hate the way people are telling me its a bad idea.

There's nothing as profitable as farming,but u must love to do it first.
That is the main point
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by yourmmyblack(m): 6:51pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pavore9:

Why if l may ask?
farming involve capital, if you can sponsor or empower youths the result ll clear your mind and gives you better Answer
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Pavore9: 6:55pm On Jun 21, 2016
yourmmyblack:
farming involve capital, if you can sponsor or empower youths the result ll clear your mind and gives you better Answer

Am not a novice when it comes to Agriculture.....check my threads and posts. wink
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by RaptorX: 6:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
stagger:

In her country, it costs less than 1% to borrow money from the bank. In your country, it costs 28% to do same from commercial bank, and 10% to 15% from microfinance bank.

In her country, she can get a credit card, pay off the fees month by month, and defer paying the principal until her tomato farm yields in 3 months. In your country, your banks charge you all manner of fees to keep money with them.

In her country, the US govt sent $500 to every American during the global financial crisis to stimulate spending and boost their economy. In your country, Buhari cannot even honour his party's promise to pay $17.86 (N5,000) to unemployed and vulnerable Nigerians.

In her country, the government subsides agriculture heavily and gives their farmers access to guaranteed markets. In your country, your agric minister wants to import grass and fodder from Brazil to feed cows and also to do away with fertilizer subsidy.

You want me to go on and on? A Nigerian and an American are not on the same level when it comes to access to things that make life better.

Who told you it cost less than 1% to borrow money in America? When did the American government send 500$ to every American during the global crisis I must have missed the memo. The only thing factually correct about what you posted is the agricultural subsidy.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by mrvitalis(m): 7:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
charlove:

u re d compound fool!
do u know hw many pple barely feed or even have a place to stay?
do you know dat to start a farm biz requires u owning a land in d first place?
to get seedlings and machinery nko?
mayb u re just kid
or an adult wearing diapers!
Is there any Nigerian who don't own a land.. .??
Even if u don't own a land u can get a land to farm in ur village.. .
There is no man in this country that can't save 100k in a yer if he means it...
Putting that to cucumber farming will get u over 300k in 3 months.. ... Investing 200k can get u 450k to 600k.. . And this can get u a cab. ... And with that's cab u can get 2500 every day saving and that can be reinvested into plantain farming in the West
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Cavenchy(m): 7:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
The truth is, there are loads of opportunities in Nigeria but many people do not see it. This lady probably put her head down to understand what she was studying, shunned malpractice and developed pure innovation, don't be surprised if you find out her dissertation was related to what she is doing now. It didn't end at school, she developed the requisite skills to actualise her plans by going all out to source for funds and didn't keep her ideas secret like most Nigerians do (You can find them in Business section dropping phone numbers and emails when they should be open about what they do to get investors).

Another problem is corruption, a lot of people aren't trustworthy in Nigeria to do business with, you employ 100 people on such a project and a good number of them would always wanna take short cuts to help themselves out to the detriment of the business itself.

My advice to Nigerians, quit waiting for someone to give you a cash gift to start a business, its not gonna happen. Make your plans professional, get legal (intellectual property protection) and seek investment openly not cash gifts. People will invest when your plan is potent and you can back it up with research worthy proof. And you can only back it up if you work hard, learn and achieve the know-how required to run your intended business and package it your way (create your own innovation). Also, many entrepreneurs and investors want to help young people with employment but the corrupt bad eggs in the work pool give the rest less chances to get in. Nigerians need to spread massive awareness to curtail corruption in the workplace, its chasing away investors, not just foreign but Nigerian as well, you will be shocked to find out how many Nigerian billionaires invest in other countries, and the reason is simple, the workers in foreign countries are more honest and less corrupt in sabotaging the business for personal gain. No entrepreneur runs a business to lose. Avoiding incompetent and criminal-minded employees is one of the massive reasons some of the private companies/corporations still in Nigeria employ only on referral(otherwise known as connection).

Unemployment and Corruption(at all levels) would have been a thing of the past if Nigerian leaders only understood what a national database is for and how it can be applied to fight corruption.

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by loomer: 7:53pm On Jun 21, 2016
Davinex:
And we complain of unemployment. SMH
when you don't see value in what u have, people with vision will take it from you.
It's time we clear the cobwebs.

You know weda na dash dem dash her the land?

Many young people dey find land for agriculture
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Mattin(m): 8:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
stagger:

In her country, it costs less than 1% to borrow money from the bank. In your country, it costs 28% to do same from commercial bank, and 10% to 15% from microfinance bank.

In her country, she can get a credit card, pay off the fees month by month, and defer paying the principal until her tomato farm yields in 3 months. In your country, your banks charge you all manner of fees to keep money with them.

In her country, the US govt sent $500 to every American during the global financial crisis to stimulate spending and boost their economy. In your country, Buhari cannot even honour his party's promise to pay $17.86 (N5,000) to unemployed and vulnerable Nigerians.

In her country, the government subsides agriculture heavily and gives their farmers access to guaranteed markets. In your country, your agric minister wants to import grass and fodder from Brazil to feed cows and also to do away with fertilizer subsidy.

You want me to go on and on? A Nigerian and an American are not on the same level when it comes to access to things that make life better.

Permit me to quote you sir. You are so on point.
I'm a passionate farmer but when I look at what is obtainable around, I can only but feel bad.
I actually going to take the bull by the horn with God on my side.
Imagine the white lady saying the minimum capital for the Tomato Jos is 25,000 dollars.
Mechanized farming involves money!
In Nigeria, no access to farmland, mechanical equipment like tractors, planter etc, inadequate hybrid crop production etc
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by opelyem(m): 9:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
lonelydora:
Harvard? Sorry, somebody give me water to wash my face, to see if I'm reading right. Harvard! the one in America? Where are those my M.Sc friends? They need to read this asap.

Nice one.

*Singing in Flavor's voice * My Tomato Jos oooooo how you dey do today*

sorry for quoting you. You sound bitter or maybe jealous of your MSc friends. Career takes passion, your MSc friends may not like farming or business at all.
mind u, I am a MSc student coupled wt some business such as fishery, publishing e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by BrosMayowa(m): 11:11pm On Jun 21, 2016
emmykk:
she is not the ordinary kind of tomatoes farmer you see everydayooooo

nairalanders wise up to propangda just google her name,she raise capital worth millions to start her tin tomatoes company in jos like dangote tomatoes company in kano

make any people nor deceive us say we are lazy.i know our people here in nairaland will take her for a local farmer.

just like if i tell you that a certificateless man is president in 1africa country

tomatoes farmer get grade

Dont mind them. Them think say na dullard dey go harvard
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by lonelydora: 11:14pm On Jun 21, 2016
opelyem:

sorry for quoting you. You sound bitter or maybe jealous of your MSc friends. Career takes passion, your MSc friends may not like farming or business at all.
mind u, I am a MSc student coupled wt some business such as fishery, publishing e.t.c

No I'm not jealous. Some of my friends are still sitting at home looking for a lucrative white collar job instead of starting something which may not necessarily be farming.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by booblacain(m): 11:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Gus57(m): 11:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
While I applaud her "stooping low", the truth is that the Nigerian economy isn't exactly conducive towards it own citizens. Without being bias, I know it's much easier for foreigners to be accepted/promoted; the average Nigerian Joe faces an uphill task. Even his own people won't embrace his own ideas/products, they'll be waiting for " overseas" version. embarassed
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by opelyem(m): 12:01am On Jun 22, 2016
lonelydora:

No I'm not jealous. Some of my friends are still sitting at home looking for a lucrative white collar job instead of starting something which may not necessarily be farming.

okay. Most of us graduates are like that. I remember my challenges back then...I laboured like an illiterate to survive. My advice to graduates out dia is that they shd move out of their comfort zone and get something doing.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Rubyventures: 10:27am On Jun 22, 2016
Cavenchy:
The truth is, there are loads of opportunities in Nigeria but many people do not see it. This lady probably put her head down to understand what she was studying, shunned malpractice and developed pure innovation, don't be surprised if you find out her dissertation was related to what she is doing now. It didn't end at school, she developed the requisite skills to actualise her plans by going all out to source for funds and didn't keep her ideas secret like most Nigerians do (You can find them in Business section dropping phone numbers and emails when they should be open about what they do to get investors).

Another problem is corruption, a lot of people aren't trustworthy in Nigeria to do business with, you employ 100 people on such a project and a good number of them would always wanna take short cuts to help themselves out to the detriment of the business itself.

My advice to Nigerians, quit waiting for someone to give you a cash gift to start a business, its not gonna happen. Make your plans professional, get legal (intellectual property protection) and seek investment openly not cash gifts. People will invest when your plan is potent and you can back it up with research worthy proof. And you can only back it up if you work hard, learn and achieve the know-how required to run your intended business and package it your way (create your own innovation). Also, many entrepreneurs and investors want to help young people with employment but the corrupt bad eggs in the work pool give the rest less chances to get in. Nigerians need to spread massive awareness to curtail corruption in the workplace, its chasing away investors, not just foreign but Nigerian as well, you will be shocked to find out how many Nigerian billionaires invest in other countries, and the reason is simple, the workers in foreign countries are more honest and less corrupt in sabotaging the business for personal gain. No entrepreneur runs a business to lose. Avoiding incompetent and criminal-minded employees is one of the massive reasons some of the private companies/corporations still in Nigeria employ only on referral(otherwise known as connection).

Unemployment and Corruption(at all levels) would have been a thing of the past if Nigerian leaders only understood what a national database is for and how it can be applied to fight corruption.

The most honest post on this thread. Let them take it or keep burying their heads in the sand waiting for manner to fall from heaven. I believe in starting with what you have, there are many opportunities around us. the problem is we have made the book our enemy we are too lazy to do little research and learn.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by HandOfChukwu: 11:19am On Jun 22, 2016
kannymoore:

Mma Abasi!!....youre daft!

I've been following your write up on this thread and have noticed that you've got not one position thing to say about this wonderful woman.
If only you know the breath of fresh air this woman has brought to tomato farmers up north. You wouldn't be spewing the nonsense you're spewing right now.

Most tomato farmers, by going into a venture partnership programme with tomato jos are making over 300% profits compared to the huge losses they used to incure until recently.

Apart from Dangote who has also started making serious headway into the tomato farming and processing business, no other NiGERIAN including you and I has thought of making serious investments in tomato business at the scale that these two people bringing to fore.

Next time, if you have absolutely nothing to contribute when people bring creative ideas to tackle national issues that would benefit all and sundry, i'd suggest you either keep mum or move on another thread..abeg!

Jeez!

Which is why the government is to blame, they are supposed to encourage and subsidise Nigerians that want to take part in all facets of Nigerian industry but they don't which allows oyibo thief's like her to come and steal from us. You are the only daft one here. Mugu.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by kannymoore(m): 11:46am On Jun 22, 2016
HandOfChukwu:
Which is why the government is to blame, they are supposed to encourage and subsidise Nigerians that want to take part in all facets of Nigerian industry but they don't which allows oyibo thief's like her to come and steal from us. You are the only daft one here. Mugu.

How is she a thief?

What has she stolen?

Your money?.. or the land you bought up north?

No.

It's the subsidized fertilizer with your name and logo imprinted on it that she stole!

Nonsense!

My guy... find something better doing.

Be an inspiration to Nigerians and myself be empowering yourself and your immediate society with jobs and stop making noise on Nairaland day after day..from morning till night..while at the same time, taking single digits off our IQ with your negative minded bants.

Be an inspiration young man!.. stop waiting for govt to spoon feed you else you'll grow old without achieving anything of substance.

It's a heartfelt advice.

Cheers.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by franjid: 12:22pm On Jun 22, 2016
She's a thief you guys don't know how the system works. She collected $1 million dollars from Clinton Health Access Initiative saying she helping ppl with HIV(lol nice one) if you go us embassy in Abuja or some place in Washington DC, if you a us citizen based in Africa, you can qualify for Grant that will help Africa. Young girl from Harvard go boko haram side for farming, she bad pass Yahoo boys. She even set up crown funding to raise $60m. Any oyibo you see in 9ja no be ur friend o. Who remember kony warlord campaign they raised $40m lol

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by franjid: 12:27pm On Jun 22, 2016
My own Grant($2m) is pending I want supply goats for 9ja. Lol

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by ImpersonatorSS: 9:29am On Jun 23, 2016
mikolo80:
if you talk am now na trrue federalism some mumu go de talk

Shewunoshewa

guy how market

Are you a dullard

My state is endowed with highly economical solid minerals that will bring instant ROI if tapped into.

Must everybody go into agriculture and rely on it solely to run govt?

Is it my fault that you come from a barren state?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dwarf Plantian sucker and dwarf banana sucker is available. / Photos Of An Igbo Herdswoman Who Is A UNN Graduate / How I Converted My Piece Of Land To Money (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.