Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (69509 Views)

Removed / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Mirah Mehta-young American Lady Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Northern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by hopeforcharles(m): 3:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
Etinosajay:

Good. So when you people expect every Tom, dick and Harry to farm, remember those your words in bold.

It is for that reason you're not into farming. You're into buying and selling
I see ur points. Noted
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by mikolo80: 3:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
hopeforcharles:

Agriculture esp farming and cultivation require person management and observation, its not wise you leave it in the hands of someone else or one should be ready for lostes, i am actively into it but on a buy bulk from farmers and ware house it
abeg chairman we fit talk about this warehousing biz
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by mikolo80: 3:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pamelayoung:

B4 you crucify me nigerians are hypocrite cos it's a white woman it has become news worthy. Aren't there local farmers doing same? Some even needs to be aided on how to store these produce yet theirs voices are not being heard, others who can't afford to buy large hectares are not encouraged now a white woman shows up and they gladly sell or even gave her their lands 4 free mtcheeeeew! U knw wat am talking about stop pretending
who encouraged you to get good marks in school.why you no drop out as nobody go take exam for you.
she sourced for funds.
she did not sit down and lament.
she used her education to raise funds.
what are you using your education for?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 3:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
Nope, I am not clapping but I am scolding. Yes we have lots of Nigerians doing what the lady is doing but we can do much better. We need millions more doing the same thing for Nigeria to break away from the shackles of poverty and 3rd world status.

Now you ask why it is news because a white lady is doing it?... Answer is simple, it is news because it a white lady doing it. If we have a white man today in Benin as a commercial okada man, it will definitely be news too; that is not to say we do not have over 10 million Nigerian okada men.

By the way, with your first sentence, are you by any means justifying why many more Nigerians aren't or shouldn't go into farming?

Who told you there aren't enough people in farming? And how does that statement stop others from going into farming?

I am responding to your criticism likewise others of Nigerians being lazy, simply because you've seen a white lady in farming.

What you should be emphasising on is for people to bring out the best in what they chose to do, not calling your country men lazy.

If seun or Linda ikeji chosed farming, will you have a platform to call Nigerians Lazy?

While you're typing and going about your business daily, be rest assured other Nigerians are doing their best to contribute to the country. You're not the only hardworker in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by mikolo80: 3:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
wayodude:
Smart chic. If only safety and power wasn't an issue we would have had a stampede of foreign investors scrambling for involvement in our land of milk and honey.

My business plan is guarded. I'll be there...when the time is right for me lol
no power no safety yet shell no comot, dstv and mtn and shoprite enter nigeria the more
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by hopeforcharles(m): 3:31pm On Jun 21, 2016
mikolo80:
abeg chairman we fit talk about this warehousing biz
Pm me lets talk business agriculturally.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
HandOfChukwu:
Yes, because they only come to Africa to exploit the land and the resources so they can boost their own nations economies thus leaving Africa at bottom of the barrel forever. In South Africa the whites own everything meaning the Africans have nothing and remain in shacks for all their lives.

You must find sense. Whites have never been a friend to Africa and they never will. We must control our own land or we will never get anywhere. Ask China.
No need to explain further, I already see your point. Nigerians should all embrace the spirit of xenophobia by chasing away every foreign investor or we could as well not sell any properties to them because if we do today, one day they would buy up everything and begin to lord over us in our own land. We should chase foreigners away and never sell land to them even though they are willing to pay very juicy sums for the land. I totally understand and note your point.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 3:37pm On Jun 21, 2016
IAMJojo:
Its no mean feat what she has amcomplish but u need to undastand its diff scenario,i knw many guys n girls alike who have similar goals bt dis naija system wouldnt allow,how many banks would grant u loans to start up little business,its d system nt d youths,nigerian youths are handworking people,give them a chance u will c them flourish.
Lets pray d system changes

I'm tired of people bashing Nigerian youths. There's one thing motivating them, there's another thing bashing them. Our system is so messed up that it's difficult for us. But we have Nigerian youths doing well in other sectors.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 3:37pm On Jun 21, 2016
Etinosajay:

Who told you there aren't enough people in farming? And how those that statement stop others from going into farming?

I am responding to your criticism likewise others of Nigerians being lazy, simply because you've seen a white lady in farming.

What you should be emphasising on is for people to bring out the best in what they chose to do, not calling your country men lazy.

If seun or Linda ikeji chosed farming, will you have a platform to call Nigerians Lazy?

While you're typing and going about your business daily, be rest assured other Nigerians are doing their best to contribute to the country. You're not the only hardworker in Nigeria
Point of correction, I did not call Nigerians lazy because a white lady is farming, rather I called Nigerians lazy because we have the capacity to increase our agricultural production by over 10,000%, yet we remain a poor hungry 3rd world nation.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by realnas(m): 3:40pm On Jun 21, 2016
HandOfChukwu:
I employ myself, I'm not a lazy, uneducated person. Allowing foreigners to own African land is never a good thing, ask our Zulu friends down south, they will tell you. If Nigerians are so sad and pathetic that they can't operate a simple tomato farm then we might as well be allow ourselves to be re-colonised.
oga the land use Act of 1978 vests ownership of all land in nigeria in the hands of the federal govt ,the governors of each state act as custodians in relation to land located within their respectve states,they hv the power to issue certificate of occupancy otherwise known as CofO which is a lease that runs for about 99yrs so as u can see the chances of a foreign individual or corporation “stealing” land in nigeria are quite slim if not impossible .Drawin pararells with southern africa amounts to an attempt to misinform a lot of pple ,when the colonialist embark on their land grab scheme they adopted a number of methods mainly they used religion, trickery and the barrel of the gun and besides then there were no laws regulating land use in southern africa except in a few cases where u hav native laws which the europeans gladly ignored . what I'm tryin to emphasize here is that foreign investment should be encouraged in nigeria especially in the agriculture sector in view of the forex crisis we are experiencing that has sent food prices in the upward trend[remember buy naija to grow the naira ] but we must ensure that laws relating to business and agriculture must be adhered to and followed rgds.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by sonety2k(m): 3:41pm On Jun 21, 2016
cool
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 3:43pm On Jun 21, 2016
vislabraye:

I'm tired of people bashing Nigerian youths. There's one thing motivating them, there's another thing bashing them. Our system is so messed up that it's difficult for us. But we have Nigerian youths doing well in other sectors.

We have Nigerians doing well in agriculture and food production too. But it's not news, because they are very many.

It's like saying Iya basira is going to her shop to sell food. What else will she do before? It can't be news cos it's not new

If news of football success comes on nairaland tomorrow, people will say why aren't all Nigerians playing football. If it's music, they will say why aren't all Nigerians singing?

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by ArikeAriyo(f): 3:45pm On Jun 21, 2016
Ok
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
lonelydora:
Harvard? Sorry, somebody give me water to wash my face, to see if I'm reading right. Harvard! the one in America? Where are those my M.Sc friends? They need to read this asap.

Nice one.

*Singing in Flavor's voice * My Tomato Jos oooooo how you dey do today*
lol, from the interview, the woman said she got her brand name from the song.. That's her best nigerian song and she can sing it very well. She's been in nigeria for long though, but I can't remember her saying she's a graduate from harvard.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 3:50pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
Point of correction, I did not call Nigerians lazy because a white lady is farming, rather I called Nigerians lazy because we have the capacity to increase our agricultural production by over 10,000%, yet we remain a poor hungry 3rd world nation.

No nation on earth is able to exclusively feed itself or provide everything it needs on the daily, weekly or yearly basis. That is why there is international trade. That is why the word import/export exists.

Yes, Nigeria can strive to do better in many areas. So does other countries.

Follow @fao and learn of agriculture and food production in the world and Nigeria

Or read resources from the ministry of agriculture.

A lot is happening in Nigeria daily.

Every one in Nigeria can't become a farmer.

Even USA imports plenty of its needed agric produce from Mexico and neighbours. Britain imports from Hungary, Russia, etc
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 3:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
And what are you? spanish? If you are a nigerian, i ask, were is your own Farm or Agricultural product? It's alright to bash other nigerians. I guess tongue
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by MduZA: 3:59pm On Jun 21, 2016
HandOfChukwu:
Liar, you and your parents know your land is ruled by the Europeans inhabiting your land, they own all the farms, they own all the manufacturing and they own all your people, even the Indians own more than your people. Ask Juju Malema.

Stop dreaming...
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by premdelap1: 4:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
If you say impossible then you haven't seen this

realnas:
oga the land use Act of 1978 vests ownership of all land in nigeria in the hands of the federal govt ,the governors of each state act as custodians in relation to land located within their respectve states,they hv the power to issue certificate of occupancy otherwise known as CofO which is a lease that runs for about 99yrs so as u can see the chances of a foreign individual or corporation “stealing” land in nigeria are quite slim if not impossible .Drawin pararells with southern africa amounts to an attempt to misinform a lot of pple ,when the colonialist embark on their land grab scheme they adopted a number of methods mainly they used religion, trickery and the barrel of the gun and besides then there were no laws regulating land use in southern africa except in a few cases where u hav native laws which the europeans gladly ignored . what I'm tryin to emphasize here is that foreign investment should be encouraged in nigeria especially in the agriculture sector in view of the forex crisis we are experiencing that has sent food prices in the upward trend[remember buy naija to grow the naira ] but we must ensure that laws relating to business and agriculture must be adhered to and followed rgds.

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 4:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
otiigba1:
And what are you? spanish? If you are a nigerian, i ask, were is your own Farm or Agricultural product? It's alright to bash other nigerians. I guess tongue
I did not exclude myself from the bashing, even though I am not presently resident in Nigeria.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 4:06pm On Jun 21, 2016
Etinosajay:

No nation on earth is able to exclusively feed itself or provide everything it needs on the daily, weekly or yearly basis. That is why there is international trade. That is why the word import/export exists.

Yes, Nigeria can strive to do better in many areas. So does other countries.

Follow @fao and learn of agriculture and food production in the world and Nigeria

Or read resources from the ministry of agriculture.

A lot is happening in Nigeria daily.

Every one in Nigeria can't become a farmer.

Even USA imports plenty of its needed agric produce from Mexico and neighbours. Britain imports from Hungary, Russia, etc
The simple point is that we arent doing up to 10% of what we should be doing.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by ANGELMARVE(m): 4:10pm On Jun 21, 2016
HMMM
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by zubinike(m): 4:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
Davinex:
And we complain of unemployment. SMH
when you don't see value in what u have, people with vision will take it from you.
It's time we clear the cobwebs.

Beg your govt to hijack that project from that young lady, before it causes a national disaster. Our tomatoes sold back to us in dols and devalue our naira.....
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Rubyventures: 4:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
GeneralShepherd:

Don't be obnoxious! I have relatives that have been farming for decades in the village and still don't own a farm on acres of land. Without external funding this level of farming is impossible to attain?

I'm just stating the fact, you have got to walk before you can run, you start small, you cannot go into large scale farming overnight. If you call that obnoxious then what can I say. I'm just tired of hearing one excuse after the other.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by TheAlchemist: 4:20pm On Jun 21, 2016
stagger:

In her country, it costs less than 1% to borrow money from the bank. In your country, it costs 28% to do same from commercial bank, and 10% to 15% from microfinance bank.

In her country, she can get a credit card, pay off the fees month by month, and defer paying the principal until her tomato farm yields in 3 months. In your country, your banks charge you all manner of fees to keep money with them.

In her country, the US govt sent $500 to every American during the global financial crisis to stimulate spending and boost their economy. In your country, Buhari cannot even honour his party's promise to pay $17.86 (N5,000) to unemployed and vulnerable Nigerians.

In her country, the government subsides agriculture heavily and gives their farmers access to guaranteed markets. In your country, your agric minister wants to import grass and fodder from Brazil to feed cows and also to do away with fertilizer subsidy.

You want me to go on and on? A Nigerian and an American are not on the same level when it comes to access to things that make life better.

Your points are well noted... but i believe in every difficulties lies a golden opportunity!
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by EbolaParasite: 4:23pm On Jun 21, 2016
Davinex:
And we complain of unemployment. SMH
when you don't see value in what u have, people with vision will take it from you.
It's time we clear the cobwebs.

So you want to compare this woman with average Nigerians? Do you know how much money she probably had before coming here or do you know how many connections she has. Getting funds to buy land and start farming will be way easier for her when compared to an average Nigerian. Trust me, if an average Nigerian has access to the kind of funds she has, they will do the same thing. She is in the business to make money. You need money to acquire land. How many youths have that kind of money?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by zubinike(m): 4:25pm On Jun 21, 2016
stagger:

In her country, it costs less than 1% to borrow money from the bank. In your country, it costs 28% to do same from commercial bank, and 10% to 15% from microfinance bank.

In her country, she can get a credit card, pay off the fees month by month, and defer paying the principal until her tomato farm yields in 3 months. In your country, your banks charge you all manner of fees to keep money with them.

In her country, the US govt sent $500 to every American during the global financial crisis to stimulate spending and boost their economy. In your country, Buhari cannot even honour his party's promise to pay $17.86 (N5,000) to unemployed and vulnerable Nigerians.

In her country, the government subsides agriculture heavily and gives their farmers access to guaranteed markets. In your country, your agric minister wants to import grass and fodder from Brazil to feed cows and also to do away with fertilizer subsidy.

You want me to go on and on? A Nigerian and an American are not on the same level when it comes to access to things that make life better.

Well analysed bro...so why waste time in investing where the cost and method of achieving your dreams is not available to a common man.

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 4:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
The simple point is that we arent doing up to 10% of what we should be doing.

And you got that statistics from?

Like I said a lot is going on in Nigeria, than you realise.

You go to the market, you buy pineapple, yam, pepper, tomato, most are produced locally.

Try to identify an agricultural or food production route and follow it out of curiosity. You'd be amazed what you find.

Someone in agriculture likewise won't know what's going on in sports, or media, unless look with keen interest to learn and not to criticize.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by realnas(m): 4:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
premdelap1:
If you say impossible then you haven't seen this

oga the was leased to the white zimbabweans for them to farm the nasarawa st govt can revoke the lease at any time ifthe farmers didnot adhere to the terms of the lease
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 4:32pm On Jun 21, 2016
Etinosajay:

And you got that statistics from?

Like I said a lot is going on in Nigeria, than you realise.

You go to the market, you buy pineapple, yam, pepper, tomato, most are produced locally.

Try to identify an agricultural or food production route and follow it out of curiosity. You'd be amazed what you find.

Someone in agriculture likewise won't know what's going on in sports, or media, unless look with keen interest to learn and not to criticize.
A lot might be going on, but a lot more still needs to be done.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by premdelap1: 4:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
I'm sorry can you not read ?

The article on Financial Times said they were "given" the land, while she "leased" it from the white Zimbabweans. Simple English
realnas:
oga the was leased to the white zimbabweans for them to farm the nasarawa st govt can revoke the lease at any time ifthe farmers didnot adhere to the terms of the lease
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by DrMuzungu(m): 4:41pm On Jun 21, 2016
Nigeria has everything to feed the whole of Africa and more. Good soil, plenty of water resources, good climate conditions, no natural disasters. With proper irrigation, modern machinery, and with cooperation with local communities (read: Chiefs to keep their boys a.k.a. youths but in fact just ordinary criminals), it would become the food basket of the continent. Some years ago, in Imo state, and near one federal institution, I saw some 30-40 tractors, waiting for local farmers to collect. over two years after that, the same tractors were at the exactly same place... Probably officials were demanding too much money for each or something... Whatever the reason is. How much more food could be produced with these tractors and machinery attached to them?!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dwarf Plantian sucker and dwarf banana sucker is available. / Photos Of An Igbo Herdswoman Who Is A UNN Graduate / How I Converted My Piece Of Land To Money (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.