Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,060 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? (25602 Views)

BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents / 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology / The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by carik(m): 7:27am On Jun 27, 2016
omaolowo:
Has PEMDAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS?

"In those days", one of the rules of Algebra in solving of equations was to use the mnemonics BODMAS - as the order of operations to follow....

B - for Brackets
O - for Of
D - for Division
M - for Multiplication
A - for Addition
S - for Subtraction

Yesterday while discussing this "almighty" order of solving equations with a young undergraduate, he politely informed me that my BODMAS of yesteryears is no more! That rather it is now PEMDAS that is now being taught in schools and colleges.....

P - for Parentheses
E - for Exponent
M - for Multiplication
D - for Division
A - for Addition
S - for Subtraction

While an ancient like me can allow the fresh nomenclatures for "Brackets" and "Of" of yesteryears, when did "Division" lose its position for "Multiplication"? He could not answer me!

Finally, is it now true that "Multiplication" has taken precedence over "Division" against what the Entebbe Workshop that became "Modern Mathematics" of the 1960s taught to people of my generation?

Your arrangement is not in order

P. Parenthesis
E Exponent
D Division
M Multiplication
A Addition
S Subtraction

I came across it in barron's GRE prep book
Its virtually the same as BODMAS and multiplication hasn't taken the place of division.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by crazygod(m): 7:27am On Jun 27, 2016
BODMAS, PEDMAS........... Can't we all just get along?

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by adioolayi(m): 7:28am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

6-1x0+2÷2 = 7, using PEMDAS
6-1x0+2÷2 = 5, using BODMAS
I don't think PEMDAS and BODMAS are basically the same.
I think with PEMDAS you should have 5 too..
M -1x0 gives 0 D-2/2. gives 1 so u have 6-0+1 A-0+1 gives 1
so you have 6-1 =5

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by EzePromoe: 7:29am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

adioolayi:

M -1x0 gives 0
D-2/2. gives 1
so u have 6-0+1
A-0+1 gives 1
so you have 6-1 =5
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 27, 2016
Sexytemi:
I hate maths, and all what u guys are saying sounds so foreign to me..

I only know bodmas!!!!!!!, so Which one is pedmas again o
some girls just hate maths for no reason, but when they buy recharge card of #400 and three gold circle condom pack #150 at #50 each, they know their change is #550 naira when they give the seller #1000. but ask them to solve

400+ 50(3)+ y=1000, find y? they will say maths is too hard. smh

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by femi4: 7:35am On Jun 27, 2016
omaolowo:
Has PEMDAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS?

"In those days", one of the rules of Algebra in solving of equations was to use the mnemonics BODMAS - as the order of operations to follow....

B - for Brackets
O - for Of
D - for Division
M - for Multiplication
A - for Addition
S - for Subtraction

Yesterday while discussing this "almighty" order of solving equations with a young undergraduate, he politely informed me that my BODMAS of yesteryears is no more! That rather it is now PEMDAS that is now being taught in schools and colleges.....

P - for Parentheses
E - for Exponent
M - for Multiplication
D - for Division
A - for Addition
S - for Subtraction

While an ancient like me can allow the fresh nomenclatures for "Brackets" and "Of" of yesteryears, when did "Division" lose its position for "Multiplication"? He could not answer me!

Finally, is it now true that "Multiplication" has taken precedence over "Division" against what the Entebbe Workshop that became "Modern Mathematics" of the 1960s taught to people of my generation?
Even in those days of BODMAS, my findings shows that whether multiplication comes before division or vise versa, you ll still arrive at the correct answer cos they belong to same family.

Same goes for ADDITION and SUBTRACTION, if you have an expression involving both alone, you can solve starting with either of the two. You ll arrive at the correct answer cos the belong to the same family
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by liricyst(m): 7:38am On Jun 27, 2016
sniperwolf:
The rule still remains BODMAS. Parentheses and brackets are used interchangeably.
Of, Division and Multiplication are both Commutative and Associative. Same can be said for Exponent, Division and Multiplication

Exactly! I now don't need to tyoe anything on the matter
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Sexytemi(f): 7:38am On Jun 27, 2016
lrguru:

some girls just hate maths for no reason, but when they buy recharge card of #400 and three gold circle condom pack #150 at #50 each, they know their change is #550 naira when they give the seller #1000. but ask them to solve

400+ 50(3)+ y=1000, find y? they will say maths is too hard. smh

Abeg bros no vex o, but when calculating my change or money, there's isn't any "y" lost o, and I dont have to remove any bracket, am good at counting and calculating money; D, but hate maths that includes "y" and "x" with ()
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by vidi88(m): 7:39am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

the answer is 5 in both cases

2 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by liricyst(m): 7:40am On Jun 27, 2016
sniperwolf:
The rule still remains BODMAS. Parentheses and brackets are used interchangeably.
Of, Division and Multiplication are both Commutative and Associative. Same can be said for Exponent, Division and Multiplication

Exactly! I now don't need to type anything on the matter
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by PigMeat: 7:41am On Jun 27, 2016
EzePromoe:
They're the same. Division and Multiplication works interchangeably. Addition and Subtraction works interchangeably but not with Multiplication and Division involved in the equation.
u even know maths sef. U be genius ooo.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by ventitre: 7:41am On Jun 27, 2016
Check your calculation with the BODMAS again. You got it wrong.
Igboid:

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by femi4: 7:43am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

PEMDAS improves on BODMAS with introduction of exponentials(Though exponentials ll still turn to multiplication when you break it down). I can even prove it to you that even in BODMAS, we have Multiplication before Division cos the "O" in BODMAS is "of" which is multiplication itself

Your Bodmas there is wrong, it should give you 7 as well.
6-1x0+1
6-0+1= 7

8 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Nobody: 7:43am On Jun 27, 2016
Sexytemi:

Abeg bros no vex o, but when calculating my change or money, there's isn't any "y" lost o, and I dont have to remove any bracket, am good at counting and calculating money; D, but hate maths that includes "y" and "x" with ()
maths is the simplest subject on earth.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by PigMeat: 7:43am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

your maths is wrong. The both answers should be 7.

3 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by femi4: 7:44am On Jun 27, 2016
EzePromoe:
They're the same. Division and Multiplication works interchangeably. Addition and Subtraction works interchangeably but not with Multiplication and Division involved in the equation.
Perfect! I discovered this long time ago
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by femi4: 7:44am On Jun 27, 2016
vidi88:

7 in both cases

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by PigMeat: 7:46am On Jun 27, 2016
adioolayi:

M -1x0 gives 0 D-2/2. gives 1 so u have 6-0+1 A-0+1 gives 1
so you have 6-1 =5
no, the both answers should be 7.

2 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by EzePromoe: 7:46am On Jun 27, 2016
PigMeat:

u even know maths sef. U be genius ooo.
Na God win, my brother!

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Horlalaykon: 7:47am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

PEDMAS and BODMAS give the same result. With your example, BODMAS also gives 7. In BODMAS, division has higher rank than multiplication

6-1x0+2÷2
= 6-1x0+(2÷2)
= 6-(1x0)+1
= 6-0+1 = 7
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by PigMeat: 7:48am On Jun 27, 2016
vidi88:

the answer is 7 in both sides.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by gyroscopic(m): 7:50am On Jun 27, 2016
can someone solve: 12÷6×2 using BODMAS and PEDMAS and prove to us they are same?
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Icecream4U(m): 7:50am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

wrong, you should get same answers. How you got 7 is strange.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Physicist(m): 7:51am On Jun 27, 2016
The answer is definitely 7 in both cases. I am not good at explaining arithmetic to people.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 27, 2016
Ok. Seen. Noted.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Gptech(m): 7:52am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

Yea, as has been spotted, both answers are the same as 7
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by PigMeat: 7:53am On Jun 27, 2016
gyroscopic:
can someone solve: 12÷6×2 using BODMAS and PEDMAS and prove to us they same?
pemdas/pedmas:12/6+2=4
bodmas: 12/6+2=4

1 Like

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by idros4real: 7:53am On Jun 27, 2016
Igboid:

Wrong equation of the highest order, just restructure your question by adding parenthesis or bracket and see if you not going to get the same answer. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by iamlimo(m): 7:55am On Jun 27, 2016
martineverest:
yes,BODMAS is outdated.
funny dude, it's like saying clockwise reading of your clock at home is outdated... you can start counting down from 12 O'clock, 11 O 'clock, 10 o'clock... haha olodo
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by Hansbireo(m): 7:56am On Jun 27, 2016
martineverest:
yes,BODMAS is outdated.

I don't really think itz going outdated. you know it is still the basic in primary-secondary schools.
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by xana101: 7:56am On Jun 27, 2016
Have the mathematicians seen d y or d x
Re: Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? by tdayof(m): 7:58am On Jun 27, 2016
FvckeDyoBiTch:
This august wil be my junior year studying aeronautical engineering and I didnt find that shít funny...In a space of 2 years since I finished high school maths changed completely even now in elementary school, there's a new way of teaching maths called common core...look it up. My cousin was fuming that her son got an F on a simple maths problem for a 3rd grader she helped him with. When I saw it, I was confused for the first 1 and a half minute. But thats how humanity works...EVOLVING.

By the way, Parenthesis is what we call Brackets in the states...Its still the same sequence really.
Nice to see a fellow aeronautics student in here. However you know we deal with differentiation, limit and others so we hardly make use of BODMAS or PEDMAS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gateway Polytechnic Students Protest Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photos) / FG Claimed No Money For Varsities But Built Railway To Niger –ASUU / Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.