Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager (22940 Views)

Roy Hodgson Named Crystal Palace Head Coach For Two Years / Sam Allardyce Sacked As England Manager / Allardyce Named New England Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by Thalamus: 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2016
Happening now. The man has thrown in the towel. After the loss to iceland

Roy Hodgson confirms he is to leave his post following #ENG's exit from #Euro2016.

Roy Hodgson has left his post as England manager following the national team’s shock 2-1 defeat to Iceland in their Euro 2016 last-16 tie on Monday evening.

Hodgson’s decision to quit comes as no surprise following England’s loss to a country competing at their first major tournament and with a population of just 329,000 – comparable to Coventry.

The coaches Ray Lewington and Gary Neville have also left the Football Association.

“I’m extremely disappointed of course about tonight’s result and ultimately our exit from the competition,” Hodgson said. “We haven’t progressed as far as I thought we were capable of, and that’s obviously not acceptable.

“I’m actually proud of the work my coaching staff and I have achieved over our time at the helm of England. The transition from the squad whose average age was 30 to now being the youngest in the tournament is both remarkable and exciting for the future of English football. I would have loved to stay on for another two years.

“However, I am pragmatic and I know we are in the results business. My contract was always up after the Euros, so now is the time for someone else to oversee the progress of this young, hungry and extremely talented group of players. They have been fantastic and have done everything that has been asked of them. When I arrived I was told players didn’t turn up to play for their country or that they pulled out at the last minute. I have not seen any of that. These players love to play for their country and their commitment has been unquestioned.

“Ray and Gary arrived with me as part of my coaching team and will leave with me. I’d like to thank them for their dedicated support and for the major part they’ve played in our team preparation. Finally I’d like to thank all the support start, players, the FA and of course the fans. It’s been a fantastic journey, these four years, and it’s one I’ll look back on or remember with pride.

“Finally I’d like to thank the media for the support you’ve given me over the four years. I’m sorry it’s had to end this way with another exit from the tournament. These things happen. All I can do is wish everybody all the very best and hope that you will still be able to see an Egland team in a final of a major tournamenet fairly soon. We’ve been unable to deliver. Thank you very much.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/27/roy-hodgson-facing-end-england-manager-iceland-euro-2016?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by mukina2: 10:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
not surprised . .the guy didn't even know his best starting 11.

#brexit 2016 grin grin grin

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by teeboi73: 10:24pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hope Brexit is not a curse for uNa as you dey exit everything now

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by McKc22(m): 10:24pm On Jun 27, 2016
I dont knw wat to say but wait ooooo England needs more reform
That didn't mean i hate Biafra
I LOVE BIAFRA

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by tizblink: 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
So fast? Didn't even wait till he got to England.

Well twas coming
Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by tall2ce(m): 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
ftc, gradually coming up the ladder on nairaland.

Now as for England, if Messi and Argentina were a failure, losing to Iceland with a population lower than Agege Local Government was a disgrace, a disaster and its very shameful. But kudos to the coach for resigning, if it were to be a Nigerian coach, the coach would never resign. As for Iceland who almost all its player's names ends with the word "son" and coach Lars Lagerback dey av performed above expectations.

I hope the NFF would learn from this disaster to England and pick a reasonable coach for the Super Eagles and not someone who would tell Ighalo to take cornerkicks and freekicks

FTC means Fifth to comment

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by doughziay: 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
See what Messi caused!
Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by dechandel(f): 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
Of course he's got to resign, lost to a country of less than half a million people?
Not his fault though..
Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by agbajemm(m): 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
Nice
Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by TDonald: 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
Fool-ish Manager

1 Like

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by NifemiOlu(m): 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
Great.
I knew England won't go far.
How can Sterling and Kane...come on. Vardy is more rugged and Sturridge is cheeky but then the manager doesn't know what he's doing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by ThePeacemaker(m): 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
At last, he has fantastically resiqned
*Lauqhinq in Enqlish*
Pù$$y cat, pù$$y cat, where have you been?
I've been to london to cry with the queen/roy hodqson/Eng team
B(aba) R(oy hodqson) EXIT.....
And hd was the hiqhest paid manager

5 Likes

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by sammynice(m): 10:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
Royexit....bye bye

5 Likes

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jun 27, 2016
England = Bunch of overrated players.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by makzeze: 10:26pm On Jun 27, 2016
Samson siasia to take charge of brexit republic.

8 Likes

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by peterd53(m): 10:26pm On Jun 27, 2016
Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by oluwasegun007(m): 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
dis oyinbos any small thing dey don resign....

if na Africans...for where !!!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by braine(m): 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
It seems like people prefer to quit after failing these days. What happened to those days when they tell us to get back up after falling?

8 Likes

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by Lanre4uonly(m): 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
That's a nice decision. You resigned before the English FA sack you. It is very much expected though. #YNWA#

1 Like

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by Donshegxy10(m): 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
I saw it coming.
Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by abimbawealth(f): 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
Long overdue

1 Like

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by tiamiyukunle69(m): 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
So unfortunate........they have players but no tactics

1 Like

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by BUSHHUNTER: 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
Puting him vardy wishere and rashford as sub in 2nd half gosh! He really needs to resign.

4 Likes

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by LoremIpsum: 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016

1 Like

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by marhoinspire: 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
He has given his best. The truth is that England, Spain, Argentina etc has good individual players but wen thy come to national team, they are nothing to write about.

7 Likes

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hodgexit... grin

2 Likes

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by slap1(m): 10:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
Oyibo and resign be like beans and plantain.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by ogawisdom(m): 10:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
He was a disaster
Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by edyza(m): 10:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
Not surprised atall. That dude needs some coaching lecture again

1 Like

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by palsenator(m): 10:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
In as much as I don't fancy his style of play, he has resigned as a sign of honor and some days back Cameron also announced that he will resign later in the year. That's why their country is progressing. But here in Naija, even in the face of failure, nah to die there like say na dem papa own the country... No honor or dignity except selfish interests.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roy Hodgson Resigns As England Manager by timilehin007(m): 10:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

After Mayorga, Two More Women To Step Up With Allegations Against Ronaldo / AFCON2023: Iwobi Needs To Be Replaced For The Final - Sunday Wale Adeniran / World Cup: Pinnick Apologizes To Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.