Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,022 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. (19022 Views)

Kenyan Schoolgirl Improvised Following The Ban On Plastic Bags In Kenya (Photos) / FG Lifts Ban On Post-utme Screening By Varsities (DETAILS) / FG Clarifies Ban On Post-utme, Admission Procedure See Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by ArcIbrahim38(m): 7:48am On Jun 29, 2016
bayero university kano with 6000 students intake capacity was sent a list of 64000 qualified students for 16/17 session......please tell me how do you select the students to be admitted........this will bring nothing but more corruption into the system

2 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 29, 2016
The problem now is how will the people get their money back? Those that have registered for the post utme.
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Sheggy13(m): 7:57am On Jun 29, 2016
einsteino:
What he doesnt know is that Universities would od still find another way to milk parents. They may just increase acceptance fee or raise one funny new levy. Wohld he stop that too?
At least that would be for those who had been given admission already unlike the current system where only like 10% or less of the aspirants are given admission and the remaining 90% Plus money just go down the drain.

2 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by teejaymiquel(m): 7:58am On Jun 29, 2016
[quote author=nex post=47020116]Nigeria’s Education Minister, Malam Adamu Adamu has reiterated that the ban on Post Unified Tertiary matriculation Examination is with immediate effect, and under no circumstance should any institution violate the directive.

Post Unified Tertiary matriculation Examination, otherwise known as Post-UTME is conducted by Tertiary Institutions for admission into Universities and other higher institutions of learning in Nigeria.
While giving the directive on Monday in Abuja, the Minister explained that although he had made the issue known earlier, but emphasis has become necessary in order to ensure that no stakeholder is left in doubt as to government position on the Post UTME matter.

He said the responsibility for admission into public tertiary institutions lies solely with the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and under no circumstance should any institution take over the responsibility by proxy.

“For the avoidance of doubt, any educational institution after secondary education is regarded as a tertiary institution. Therefore all tertiary institutions, Polytechnics, Colleges of Education, Universities or by whatever name it is called after secondary education must be subjected to admission through the JAMB. At the end of probationary admission by JAMB, the candidates can be cleared (screened) for final admission. For any institution with a shortfall in admission, such institution can revert to JAMB for supplementary admission. Clearing in this case (screening) entails only the verification of certificates of the candidates, JAMB scores, and any other physical examination to ensure that such candidates are not cultists. After this, the candidates are qualified for matriculation. Such screening should be at no cost to the parents or students and should be done upon resumption in order to avoid unnecessary travels in search of admission,” the Minister explained.

Malam Adamu decried the situation where final year students in Nigeria secondary schools are subjected to too many examinations all in one year, describing it as traumatic, exploitative and absolutely unnecessary.

According to Adamu, mere admission into the University does not guarantee any student the award of a degree until such a student successfully goes through a minimum of eight examinations (for 4-year courses) or ten and twelve examinations (for 5 and 6 year courses), among other requirements.

The Minister expressed worry over reasons why any university would not be satisfied with examining a student for eight, ten or twelve times for the award of a degree, but would rather sort to conducting entry examinations.

He said Universities are at liberty to expel any student who fails to meet up with the requirements of the award of any degree enrolled for.

The Minister also stated that there has been no empirical evidence to show that since the inception of Post-UTME, Universities have been having better quality students, but that students are still being expelled on a yearly basis for low performance even as they gained admission through Post-UTME.

Plight of parents/Guardians
Furthermore, Malam Adamu said he is deeply concerned about the plight of parents/guardians who spend fortunes on transportation, hotel accommodation, examination fees and sundry costs, just for their wards to gain admission into Universities, that such practice negates the Buhari Administration’s resolve to make education affordable for Nigerians.

The Minister said he is also mindful of reported cases where some staff of tertiary institutions take undue advantage of the girl-child in her quest to gain admission into the system.

He acknowledged some cases where parents die in the process of travelling to secure admission for their wards, and never live to see those children through, a situation he described as painful and avoidable.

compliance
The Minister has however directed the National Universities Commission (NUC) and appropriate departments in the Ministry to communicate the directive to relevant agencies and institutions to ensure strict compliance.

Malam Adamu warned higher institutions that have already advertised for the conduct of the Post-UTME under any guise to stop the exercise immediately as any university caught conducting Post-UTMNE will face appropriate sanctions.

“if any tertiary Institution has already conducted Post-UTME, such an exercise stands annulled and money taken from such candidates must be refunded immediately,” the Minister added.

Confidence #ILOVEYOU
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Spells(m): 8:12am On Jun 29, 2016
I Rep Adamu Adamu for life
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by eyomade(m): 8:14am On Jun 29, 2016
herzern: 6:47am
Am beginning to think truly God is using APC to punish Nigerians........how will a sane Government cancel post utme.....despite the setbacks and hitches in UTME this year

it's only a dullard that will support the scrapping of post utme
Hello how can u make such a statement. Ur insanity is not making u to see the good tins in scrapping the post utme. I guess ur papa is one of d beneficiary
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Affable200(m): 8:15am On Jun 29, 2016
Our government is working. Kudos to Adamu
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Yello1(m): 8:17am On Jun 29, 2016
micskales:
[s][/s] do you think post utme will cub examination malpractice? No, University of Ibadan expelled 70+ student didn't they wrote post utme?
wat am saying is dt external examination aides examination malpractice and utme is not excluded but secondary schools should hav a say in determining d progress of learners into higher institutions rather dan making d whole process external den dis wil reduce examination malpractice in schools. Cos malpractice is ranpant in secondary school today cos school management want to make dere students pass external examination by all means
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Youngzedd(m): 8:20am On Jun 29, 2016
That's the man talking.

Kudos Minister.
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by brightology3: 8:22am On Jun 29, 2016
megrimor:
When you are called an Adamu it is bad. Talk more of Adamu Adamu (2 Adamu's)
hahahahahahaaha
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by westridge: 8:25am On Jun 29, 2016
Nice move
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Aisha15(f): 8:37am On Jun 29, 2016
megrimor:
When you are called an Adamu it is bad. Talk more of Adamu Adamu (2 Adamu's)
how is it bad? Adamu is same as Adam who was the first man the Almighty created.
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by bejeria101(m): 8:41am On Jun 29, 2016
Wetin una dey fear? Bunch of illetrates

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Aisha15(f): 8:42am On Jun 29, 2016
herzern:
Am beginning to think truly God is using APC to punish Nigerians........how will a sane Government cancel post utme.....despite the setbacks and hitches in UTME this year

MODIFIED

TO those fools quoting me......this is a bad development..... I repeat....a bad development......... Now tell me how admission will be distributed....UI,Unilorin,OAU has a lot of aspirants far more than the space..........the truth is most of yhu quys quoting me are ignorant......so JAMB will be the one to offer admission....... Dibu will surely distribute it to the people whom he prefers......not by intellectual capacity anymore...........so yhu quyz think post utme has been scrapped so admission is guaranteed.... I laugh ur stupidity....... Most of yhu will end up in colleges

PS.....am noht a jambite
something tells me that you are a lecturer, in ur widest dream u never thought it source of income could be scraped.
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 29, 2016
herzern:

MODIFIED

TO those fools quoting me......this is a bad development..... I repeat....a bad development......... Now tell me how admission will be distributed....UI,Unilorin,OAU has a lot of aspirants far more than the space..........the truth is most of yhu quys quoting me are ignorant...Dibu will surely distribute it to the people whom he prefers......not by intellectual capacity anymore...........so yhu quyz think post utme has been scrapped so admission is guaranteed.... I laugh ur stupidity....... Most of yhu will end up in colleges

PS.....am noht a jambite
u attempted Ui but ur effort fell through,u re being known of gibbering for calling poly ibadan a foolish school in last year
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Dammexz: 9:09am On Jun 29, 2016
What about private schools. Does it apply to them?
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by kingsleyzie: 9:17am On Jun 29, 2016
Thank God for the Apc government, indeed the students repose in you.
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 29, 2016
dukeprince50:
they shld scrab it joh, som schoolz are wicked, hw can someone score 220 in utme and nt get admission cos he is no indegene, bt someone else score 148 and got admission
Jeez which Uni be dat?
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by ETILA100(m): 9:28am On Jun 29, 2016
#lasu bring back ma #5500
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Mikylopez(f): 9:28am On Jun 29, 2016
Samsteph3k:
This is the best decision ever made by this government. Thank you so much Mr Adamu. I really wish they can also do this to PHCN on prepaid meter.
wah happened to prepaid meter??
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by sixcobillz(m): 9:55am On Jun 29, 2016
what ever
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Laurettalolo(f): 10:35am On Jun 29, 2016
very good development, I love this
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Okpueze1(m): 10:43am On Jun 29, 2016
herzern:

MODIFIED

TO those fools quoting me......this is a bad development..... I repeat....a bad development......... Now tell me how admission will be distributed....UI,Unilorin,OAU has a lot of aspirants far more than the space..........the truth is most of yhu quys quoting me are ignorant......so JAMB will be the one to offer admission....... Dibu will surely distribute it to the people whom he prefers......not by intellectual capacity anymore...........so yhu quyz think post utme has been scrapped so admission is guaranteed.... I laugh ur stupidity....... Most of yhu will end up in colleges

PS.....am noht a jambite
Our hope of redemption is still too far with people like you in power. The interest of the common man means nothing to you than your inordinate desire for power.

All these VC, Rectors and Provosts tussling for Post Utme, did they write post utme in their days?

If government should scrap any payment of any sort for the post utme, did you think any of them will still conduct the exams?

Unqualified candidates will end up getting admission all in the name of 'VC LIST' and the qualified will end up wasting their precious time, talent, money amidst all their genuine effort and believe in justice.

Where is your humanity?

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by TeeeI: 10:44am On Jun 29, 2016
dukeprince50:
they shld scrab it joh, som schoolz are wicked, hw can someone score 220 in utme and nt get admission cos he is no indegene, bt someone else score 148 and got admission
Abi o.....or som1 shld get 254 in jamb nd 48 in post ume and they shld say general cut-off fr the school is 50
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Onyemaboy(m): 11:04am On Jun 29, 2016
Full Stop!
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Profeme: 11:05am On Jun 29, 2016
Samsteph3k:

From the inception of post utme in 2005, there is nothing special about the exam apart from extortion. I think this minister tried to analyse this program before his final decision because all the points he gave here are all correct.
supported
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by colossus2: 11:41am On Jun 29, 2016
justi4jesu:

Writing what? tongue
I miss you. Let's do and marry kiss
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by justi4jesu(f): 11:48am On Jun 29, 2016
colossus2:

I miss you. Let's do and marry kiss

You haven't even proposed *rolls eyes*
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by sinebaba(m): 12:14pm On Jun 29, 2016
herzern:

MODIFIED

PS.....am noht a jambite
e be like say u dey collect share
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by sinebaba(m): 12:27pm On Jun 29, 2016
ArcIbrahim38:
bayero university kano with 6000 students intake capacity was sent a list of 64000 qualified students for 16/17 session......please tell me how do you select the students to be admitted........this will bring nothing but more corruption into the system
how do post utme epp? All Na lie at least if someone fail now he knw that he didn't lost money twice. Jamb should try and improve there system and more secure stop examination malpractice.
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Ebullience(m): 12:51pm On Jun 29, 2016
This is very good! We hope these people comply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? / List Of Lecturers Sacked In UNIBEN For Their SEXCAPEDE / Download Research Project Topics & Materials Here Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.