Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,785 members, 7,810,047 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. (19007 Views)

Kenyan Schoolgirl Improvised Following The Ban On Plastic Bags In Kenya (Photos) / FG Lifts Ban On Post-utme Screening By Varsities (DETAILS) / FG Clarifies Ban On Post-utme, Admission Procedure See Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by nex(m): 8:26pm On Jun 28, 2016
Nigeria’s Education Minister, Malam Adamu Adamu has reiterated that the ban on Post Unified Tertiary matriculation Examination is with immediate effect, and under no circumstance should any institution violate the directive.

Post Unified Tertiary matriculation Examination, otherwise known as Post-UTME is conducted by Tertiary Institutions for admission into Universities and other higher institutions of learning in Nigeria.
While giving the directive on Monday in Abuja, the Minister explained that although he had made the issue known earlier, but emphasis has become necessary in order to ensure that no stakeholder is left in doubt as to government position on the Post UTME matter.

He said the responsibility for admission into public tertiary institutions lies solely with the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and under no circumstance should any institution take over the responsibility by proxy.

“For the avoidance of doubt, any educational institution after secondary education is regarded as a tertiary institution. Therefore all tertiary institutions, Polytechnics, Colleges of Education, Universities or by whatever name it is called after secondary education must be subjected to admission through the JAMB. At the end of probationary admission by JAMB, the candidates can be cleared (screened) for final admission. For any institution with a shortfall in admission, such institution can revert to JAMB for supplementary admission. Clearing in this case (screening) entails only the verification of certificates of the candidates, JAMB scores, and any other physical examination to ensure that such candidates are not cultists. After this, the candidates are qualified for matriculation. Such screening should be at no cost to the parents or students and should be done upon resumption in order to avoid unnecessary travels in search of admission,” the Minister explained.

Malam Adamu decried the situation where final year students in Nigeria secondary schools are subjected to too many examinations all in one year, describing it as traumatic, exploitative and absolutely unnecessary.

According to Adamu, mere admission into the University does not guarantee any student the award of a degree until such a student successfully goes through a minimum of eight examinations (for 4-year courses) or ten and twelve examinations (for 5 and 6 year courses), among other requirements.

The Minister expressed worry over reasons why any university would not be satisfied with examining a student for eight, ten or twelve times for the award of a degree, but would rather sort to conducting entry examinations.

He said Universities are at liberty to expel any student who fails to meet up with the requirements of the award of any degree enrolled for.

The Minister also stated that there has been no empirical evidence to show that since the inception of Post-UTME, Universities have been having better quality students, but that students are still being expelled on a yearly basis for low performance even as they gained admission through Post-UTME.

Plight of parents/Guardians
Furthermore, Malam Adamu said he is deeply concerned about the plight of parents/guardians who spend fortunes on transportation, hotel accommodation, examination fees and sundry costs, just for their wards to gain admission into Universities, that such practice negates the Buhari Administration’s resolve to make education affordable for Nigerians.

The Minister said he is also mindful of reported cases where some staff of tertiary institutions take undue advantage of the girl-child in her quest to gain admission into the system.

He acknowledged some cases where parents die in the process of travelling to secure admission for their wards, and never live to see those children through, a situation he described as painful and avoidable.

compliance
The Minister has however directed the National Universities Commission (NUC) and appropriate departments in the Ministry to communicate the directive to relevant agencies and institutions to ensure strict compliance.

Malam Adamu warned higher institutions that have already advertised for the conduct of the Post-UTME under any guise to stop the exercise immediately as any university caught conducting Post-UTMNE will face appropriate sanctions.

“if any tertiary Institution has already conducted Post-UTME, such an exercise stands annulled and money taken from such candidates must be refunded immediately,” the Minister added.

Confidence O.

Source:http://www.barbaric.com.ng/minister-reiterates-ban-post-utme/

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Nobody: 12:09am On Jun 29, 2016
Noted!

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by yarimo(m): 2:12am On Jun 29, 2016
Mr. Minister your point of order is here by sustained, VC and rectors beware

6 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by veekid(m): 6:40am On Jun 29, 2016
Lobatan
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Daniel058(m): 6:40am On Jun 29, 2016
I like this ABOK! grin

IF na Nyamiri dodondoya, na to increase the source of extorting the innocent gullible admission seekers.

Thank God say ONYE OFE isn't close coz he could have suggested another method of money extortion (WAYO PEEP) .

WHENEVER ABOK! DON TALK, HE ALWAYS TRY AS MUCH AS HE CAN TO KEEP HIS WORD! , BUT NYAMIRI?. .. . NWANNE EGO CAN GBANWEE ECHI-CHE ANYI HOOHAA. .

I LIKE AM pho HAUSA PEEP, i like am Pho YORUBA PEEP, I LIKE PHO IGBO PEEP, KAi! I like am pho EBRI NAIJERIAN! grin grin

21 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by osborn442(m): 6:40am On Jun 29, 2016
I hope he knows what he is doing?

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Letsgoandfuck(m): 6:41am On Jun 29, 2016
If una get mind, make una violate am na. BTW, post utme make sense that year sha
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by justi4jesu(f): 6:41am On Jun 29, 2016
They won't listen. angry

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by misreal(m): 6:41am On Jun 29, 2016
grin..
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by iamdotune(m): 6:41am On Jun 29, 2016
veekid:
What for?
Bad ghuy.. U dey always dey all threads
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by ichommy(m): 6:42am On Jun 29, 2016
I hope they will yield.
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by mickeyenglish(m): 6:42am On Jun 29, 2016
Post No Bill
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by samwizzye(m): 6:43am On Jun 29, 2016
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, oga o, so wot will d screening b based on?

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by emmaak2(m): 6:44am On Jun 29, 2016
According to Adamu, mere admission into the University does not guarantee any student the award of a degree until such a student successfully goes through a minimum of eight examinations (for 4-year courses) or ten and twelve examinations (for 5 and 6 year courses), among other requirement
HOW MANY LIKES FOR THIS STATEMENT

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by olokstob(m): 6:45am On Jun 29, 2016
Are we going to get a refund cos som skuls already sold forms.
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 29, 2016
When you are called an Adamu it is bad. Talk more of Adamu Adamu (2 Adamu's)

11 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Dusty2016: 6:46am On Jun 29, 2016
showbox app is a movie download app with awesome user interface, download form https://showboxappdownloadio.com/
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by herzern(m): 6:47am On Jun 29, 2016
Am beginning to think truly God is using APC to punish Nigerians........how will a sane Government cancel post utme.....despite the setbacks and hitches in UTME this year

it's only a dullard that will support the scrapping of post utme

MODIFIED

TO those fools quoting me......this is a bad development..... I repeat....a bad development......... Now tell me how admission will be distributed....UI,Unilorin,OAU has a lot of aspirants far more than the space..........the truth is most of yhu quys quoting me are ignorant......so JAMB will be the one to offer admission....... Dibu will surely distribute it to the people whom he prefers......not by intellectual capacity anymore...........so yhu quyz think post utme has been scrapped so admission is guaranteed.... I laugh ur stupidity....... Most of yhu will end up in colleges

PS.....am noht a jambite

12 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Anthony496(m): 6:47am On Jun 29, 2016
O thank God ooo
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by omusiliyu(m): 6:47am On Jun 29, 2016
grin
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by mr2kay(m): 6:47am On Jun 29, 2016
This was a joke to most people and thought as a mere rumor but of recent even Uniben suspended there postume that's when I knew this shit ain't joke.This malam name would be known by most student and when we grow old and tell our children we used to write post ume they wouldn't believe us.

4 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Ijaya123: 6:48am On Jun 29, 2016
The minister really means business. I can't but agree with the points he raised, though.

2 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Ijaya123: 6:49am On Jun 29, 2016
olokstob:
Are we going to get a refund cos som skuls already sold forms.

Go read the article again, now slowly and totally.

2 Likes

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Respect55(m): 6:50am On Jun 29, 2016
This is good and not good
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by amedave(m): 6:51am On Jun 29, 2016
Nice move, say no to extortion by vc
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Sowada(m): 6:51am On Jun 29, 2016
It is the best call to make in our educational system. Many universities have taken advantages of the students seeking admission to extort money from their parent even in this change season country of ours. I pray the VCs understand the point of the minister and reverse to the old ways of admissions.

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Spainze007(m): 6:52am On Jun 29, 2016
But seriously dis minister dey make #common_sense

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by orobs93(m): 6:55am On Jun 29, 2016
Some stubborn goats has sold forms already

Eg delsu always wanting to inflate pain on the common masses
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by mr2kay(m): 6:55am On Jun 29, 2016
undecided
Respect55:
This is good and not good
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by mr2kay(m): 6:56am On Jun 29, 2016
Spainze007:
But seriously dis minister dey make #common_sense
na so bro
Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by Samsteph3k(m): 6:56am On Jun 29, 2016
This is the best decision ever made by this government. Thank you so much Mr Adamu. I really wish they can also do this to PHCN on prepaid meter.

1 Like

Re: Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME. by OCTAVO: 6:56am On Jun 29, 2016
OK na

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

k / See Senate’s Motion On LAUTECH Strike (Photo) / List Of Lecturers Sacked In UNIBEN For Their SEXCAPEDE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.