Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim (7310 Views)

Adamma Ohakim-Okorafor Welcomes Her Second Child (Pics) / Forgery: Saraki, Others’ Trial In Order, Court Tells AGF, IGP / Court Tells Saraki To Face Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by ruggedboy01: 4:05am On Jul 01, 2016

ABUJA—The former governor of Imo State, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, on Thursday, failed to persuade the Federal High Court in Abuja to quash the three-count criminal charge the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, preferred against him.

The court, in a ruling by Justice Ademola Adeniyi, held that the former governor who piloted the affairs of Imo state between May 2007 and May 2011, has a case to answer pertaining to the charges against him.

The charges border on money laundering, abuse of office and misappropriation of public funds.

Justice Adeniyi held that the anti-graft agency successfully established a prima-facie criminal case against the defendant that would warrant him to
enter his defence before the court.

Consequently, Ohakim’s no-case-submission was dismissed by the court which ordered the former governor to open his defence on October 10.

The charge against Ohakim arose from his alleged purchase of the property at 60, Kwame Nkrumah Street, Plot No 1098, Cadastral ZoneA04, Asokoro District, Abuja with cash payment of $2.29m which was said to be dollar equivalent of N270m in November 2008.

The property, according to the agency, was acquired with funds the defendant allegedly laundered from Imo state treasury.

He was also accused of failing to declare the property as part of his assets when asked by the EFCC to do so.

The prosecution said the erstwhile governor violated section 15(1)(d) and section 14(1)(b) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2004. Ohakim was said to have paid for the property in cash.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/money-laundering-youve-case-answer-court-tells-ohakim/

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by Nobody: 4:06am On Jul 01, 2016
grin God bless Buhari

16 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by chriskosherbal(m): 4:10am On Jul 01, 2016
Hmmm, court cases everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by youngest85(m): 4:17am On Jul 01, 2016
mrkayusfit:
grin God bless Buhari
Why?
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by NOC1(m): 4:25am On Jul 01, 2016
We Imolites knows that Ohakim has a very Big case to answer, A man with out a single project for good 4years.
Where I get confuse daily is when I see youths as his foot soldiers on social media.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by FOWOSHERE01(m): 4:46am On Jul 01, 2016
Ok
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by koladebrainiac(m): 4:52am On Jul 01, 2016
But he is a biafra now

4 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by joxyblast: 8:07am On Jul 01, 2016
Help me ask Buhari first son that's is not recognized in thr family. Talkative
youngest85:

Why?
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by ElPadrino33: 8:09am On Jul 01, 2016
Ohakim just return some of the money and live in peace.
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by Spells(m): 8:11am On Jul 01, 2016
Which politician in Nigeria will see an opportunity to launder money n won't launder it.. . Naija I hail oh....

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by Earth2Metahuman: 8:12am On Jul 01, 2016
I blame buhari for this
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by johnpaul1101(m): 8:12am On Jul 01, 2016
It appears this country has long lost focus and direction. Since the inception of the new administration, we keep hearing of trials of past politicians in the law court, but for over a year now, none has actually been convicted or sent to jail. I'm beginning to think this 'war against corruption' is a fraud and a hocus-pocus. It's silver clear now that our government has no plans for the nation. I pray God help them.
Ohakim, Orubebe, dasuki.......when do we get to hear the final verdict.
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by udorwhite(m): 8:13am On Jul 01, 2016
Jail them all

2 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by KINGinVAHALA: 8:13am On Jul 01, 2016
Not surprised, though Efcc and FG are trying their best to bring corruption in Nigeria to its minimal but our courts aren't just helping matters, if not how come some of these men aren't already behind bars??

How I wish this present EFCC are both the prosecutors, courts and judges.

6 Likes

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by MiMiakpet(m): 8:16am On Jul 01, 2016
The courts are really having a swell time this days, enough work & monies in their pockets
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by chybosaint(m): 8:20am On Jul 01, 2016
God bless Buhari for this fight against corruption. Nigeria will be great again. If corruption is continually fought like this, I can tell you that unemployment will soon become a thing of the past

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by bosslhadi(f): 8:21am On Jul 01, 2016
It's my birthday today!! Happy birthday to me

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by dammytosh: 8:27am On Jul 01, 2016
NOC1:
We Imolites knows that Ohakim has a very Big case to answer, A man with out a single project for good 4years.
Where I get confuse daily is when I see youths as his foot soldiers on social media.

We will get there.

We will not get tired of making youths see the impact of corruption in their lives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by dammytosh: 8:28am On Jul 01, 2016
bosslhadi:

Happy Birthday Angel.

May God bless your new age.

You have a future and never allow anybody make you think otherwise.

Your traditional outfit is the bomb.!!
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by Okijajuju1(m): 8:29am On Jul 01, 2016
Wonderful Jesus!!!

What is happening in the EFCC biko nu?

They are really working overtime lately.
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by Okijajuju1(m): 8:30am On Jul 01, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

Not surprised, though Efcc and FG are trying their best to bring corruption in Nigeria to its minimal but our courts aren't just helping matters, if not how come some of these men aren't already behind bars??

How I wish this present EFCC are both the prosecutors, courts and judges.

Don't blame the courts, blame the Attorney Generals office for not recruiting good lawyers.

Judges pass judgement based on evidence not sentiments.
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by bosslhadi(f): 8:32am On Jul 01, 2016
dammytosh:

Happy Birthday Angel.

May God bless your new age.

You have a future and never allow anybody make you think otherwise.

Your traditional outfit is the bomb.!!
Thanks dammytosh
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by Begin(m): 8:32am On Jul 01, 2016
Ok
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by Daniyomex(m): 8:42am On Jul 01, 2016
May God help naija. Things has been spoilt beyond measure by stupid people we call leaders
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by KINGinVAHALA: 8:49am On Jul 01, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Don't blame the courts, blame the Attorney Generals office for not recruiting good lawyers.

Judges pass judgement based on evidence not sentiments.

You have made a valid point but I don't think I would agree to your assertion.

Its well known that these judges postpone cases most times for obvious reasons. Or is the those "incompetent" lawyers in Attorney's General office that made them do so?

Do not forget that this present govt and efcc in particular has always given their cases to capable and well learned lawyers, sans mostly, to handle.

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by Okijajuju1(m): 8:51am On Jul 01, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

You have made a valid point but I don't think I would agree to your assertion.

Its well known that these judges postpone cases most times for obvious reasons. Or is the those "incompetent" lawyers in Attorney's General office that made them do so?

Do not forget that this present govt and efcc in particular has always given their cases to capable and well learned lawyers, sans mostly, to handle.

Reasons for postponing cases vary not always the fault of the judges..

Legal maneuvers alone can tie up a case in court for years and should the judge try to force their way through to a judgment, it can actually end up in a mistrial and the judge facing sanctions.
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by mccoy47(m): 8:53am On Jul 01, 2016
Long overdue
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by KINGinVAHALA: 8:56am On Jul 01, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Reasons for postponing cases vary not always the fault of the judges..

Legal maneuvers alone can tie up a case in court for years and should the judge try to force their way through to a judgment, it can actually end up in a mistrial and the judge facing sanctions.

Another valid point made but we can't negate the fact that most of these judges are corrupt and do it for corrupt tendencies.

Are you a lawyer? you seem like one.
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by mccoy47(m): 8:56am On Jul 01, 2016
bosslhadi:
Since March last year dat u opened NL account u have just 10post n 5 of wich are related to ur birthday today?
undecided angry
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by jumobi1(m): 8:59am On Jul 01, 2016
ElPadrino33:
Ohakim just return some of the money and live in peace.

So the formula is to steal, return some and live in peace??
Re: Money Laundering: You’ve A Case To Answer, Court Tells Ohakim by bosslhadi(f): 9:05am On Jul 01, 2016
mccoy47:

Since March last year dat u opened NL account u have just 10post n 5 of wich are related to ur birthday today?
undecided angry
it seems you're seeking my attention...u are noticed grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘INEC, APC Frustrating My Petition Before Tribunal’ – Abba Yusuf Cries Out / N702m Fraud: Doyin Okupe Has No Personal House In Abuja - Witness Tells Court / DSS Denies Maltreating Nnamdi Kanu, Tasks Religious, Political Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.