Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. (52217 Views)

Be 100% Sure Of The Property You Wish To Acquire At Ibeju Lekki / Land Without Document / LAND DOCUMENT OR TITLE To Know Before Buying Property In Lagos #Safety first (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by coolsalm: 12:50pm On Jul 01, 2016
Good day Nairalanders,

Please i need the help of experienced people and lawyers in the house for purchasing a property in Lagos.
So recently i decided to purchase a property in Lagos at Agbara area, after negotiating the price with the seller i asked for the land documents, the documents which were handed over to me were the Receipt from Original family owner of the land, Survey plan and the deed of assignment,
what i am worried about now is that in the deed of assignment, there is a clause that states that the original family leased the land for 70 years to the person who wants to sell the property to me now, though currently there are flats with tenants on the said land. attached is the image of the deed of assignment.

So please experienced Nairalanders, i need to know if that 70 years clause will affect me in the future before i can decide to proceed with the purchase.

Thanks

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by whirlwind7(m): 1:03pm On Jul 01, 2016
Go with caution.
I see from the document the words "lessor" and "lesee" used to address both parties. This clearly shows that the land is under a lease title, and not outright purchase.
Get a good property lawyer to handle this for you, to see if these terms can be amended. Otherwise, avoid it and look elsewhere.
My deeds of assignments usually have the words "donor" and "donee" to refer to the seller and buyer respectively.

Modified: I had to add this to my post.

What is it with guys quoting me since this thread got to front page? I've had so much people quoting me, even cussing me, obviously mistaking me for the OP.
Please stop this nonsense. I don't even see how you guys keep making that error.

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by carboblanko(m): 1:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
whirlwind7:
Go with caution.
I see from the document the words "lessor" and "lesee" used to address both parties. This clearly shows that the land is under a lease title, and not outright purchase.
Get a good property lawyer to handle this for you, to see if these terms can be amended. Otherwise, avoid it and look elsewhere.
My deeds of assignments usually have the words "donor" and "donee" to refer to the seller and buyer respectively.
Please always employ the services of a competent lawyer before purchasing any land or property.It could save you a lot of distreess in the future.

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by whirlwind7(m): 2:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
carboblanko:
Please always employ the services of a competent lawyer before purchasing any land or property.It could save you a lot of distreess in the future.

And what makes you think I don't?

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by kenazuu(m): 2:26pm On Jul 01, 2016
is the land is owned by Govt? if yes, it means is transfer of ownership but still under lease arrangement
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by dammytosh: 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2016
U are not buying.

U are renting.

To make it very clear to u.

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by saasala(m): 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2016
When buying a land, once there is a chance of at least 0.5% doubt and complications, run for your life

You deserve to be flogged with wet koboko

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2016
whirlwind7:

Hey relax bruv he was just offering you advise.. undecided

38 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by famo19: 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2016
be careful of the omo onileee make sure your lawyer is involve gbam

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by chimah3(m): 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2016
Get a lawyer...safest!

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by erico2k2(m): 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2016
whirlwind7:

Simple cos U are here asking this questions. A property lawyer would know what to do straightaway.

39 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Clone2020(m): 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2016
So you have no experience in buying landed properties and you decided to go all by yourself like commando to buy land in Lagos. Now you are looking for advice on nairaland when you have already collected some form of document. Does it mean that you couldn't find a good lawyer whom you will pay commission of maybe 50K to carry out a thorough investigation and save you any future headache?
My friend run o; the fear of omonile is the beginning of wisdom.

9 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by orumaruth11(f): 4:08pm On Jul 01, 2016
run

1 Like

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by cutetopsey(f): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
Please you need the help of a competent lawyer before you can go for the land.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by beesammy(m): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
According to land use act of 1978, there is no freehold interest in land, which means all land belongs to the Government, buyers only have leasehold interest for 99 years. That's one of the reasons you pay ground rent annually. In essence, WE ARE ALL LESSEES, some third parties are SUB-LESSES. Government is the actual LESSOR/ OUTRIGHT OWNER.

whirlwind7:
Go with caution.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by jeje123(m): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
Let them prepare another agreement papper for you simple.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Badgers14: 4:10pm On Jul 01, 2016
Yes it will angry

1 Like

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by yinkson(m): 4:10pm On Jul 01, 2016
It's a no go area to me
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by power900: 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
bro get a lawyer and stop running in circles,no amount of advice here can help you,ok
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by chuka5000(m): 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
run. that's the simple advice for simple people. (John ploughman)
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 01, 2016
beesammy:
According to land use act of 1978, there is no freehold interest in land, which means all land belongs to the Government, buyers only have leasehold interest for 99 years. That's one of the reasons you pay ground rent annually. In essence, WE ARE ALL LESSEES, some third parties are SUB-LESSES. Government is the actual LESSOR/ OUTRIGHT OWNER.

Correctly n succinctly explained

14 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by DAVIYJONESS: 4:12pm On Jul 01, 2016
becareful kidnappers everywhere
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Lordscrown(m): 4:13pm On Jul 01, 2016
Op,please don't disturb yourself.forget about the land.you can't go through the stress,I bet.a lawyer won't/cant save you.#simpleadvice#

1 Like

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by sweatlana: 4:13pm On Jul 01, 2016
Op you are a sub lessee of the remainder of the 70 years! You are certainly NOT buying.

And yes, when the 70 years is up, the property will go back to those who leased it. ie the original lessor.

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by whirlwind7(m): 4:14pm On Jul 01, 2016
erico2k2:

Simple cos U are here asking this questions. A property lawyer would know what to do straightaway.

And where did I ask any question? Are you confusing me for the OP?

18 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by hardbody: 4:15pm On Jul 01, 2016
That property is a long lease to the purported person you want to buy from. The reversionary interest vests on the head lessor or his successors in title, so the interest you will probably get is 70 years minus 1977 minus the date of you acquiring that that interest. So 70 years from 1977, you relinquish title. Meanwhile you are also gonna be paying ground rent.

If this is the title deed that you are deriving your authority to ownership from, i suggest you drop the property like it is hot because it fvckin is.

5 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by sunday478(m): 4:15pm On Jul 01, 2016
coolsalm:

You can as well go to Land registry to do a proper search, with that you will save yourself of all the irregularities involved in this type of transaction.
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by Satioshi: 4:16pm On Jul 01, 2016
If you did, then why seek Nairalanders' opinion? undecided

whirlwind7:

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by opius: 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2016
whirlwind7:

So y do u still need people's advise .. ?

4 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by cutetopsey(f): 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2016
Please you need the help of a competent lawyer before you can go for the land.......
Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by paulabdeel(m): 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2016
You are entitled to the unexpired term of the lease. If for instance the lease was granted in 1970, there is only 24 years left. The reversionary interest is with the original lessor. In fact, the person selling to you can only grant you a term less one day. That is your lease must terminate at most one day before his expires. I am assuming that this is not from the government. A C of O or R of O usually grants a number of years which are automatically renewed. This is not the case with individuals.
If the number of years left are enough for your need, go ahead. Otherwise, it is a bad buy.

4 Likes

Re: Help! I Saw This On The Document Of The Property I Want To Buy. by whirlwind7(m): 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

Hey relax bruv he was just offering you advise.. undecided

Everyone of you seem to confuse me for the OP. Same as most responses here, I merely gave him a simple tip on what to do.

21 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Business Started Crumbling Since I Moved Into This Apartment / Updated Cost Of Renting A 2 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos / How To Calculate Materials Needed For German Floor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.