Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,063 members, 7,807,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? (33875 Views)

How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) / Graphic Photos: Lady Survives Fall Into An Abandoned Soakaway Beneath Her Feet / Bathroom Of Lady Who Moved Out Of A Guy's Property (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 02, 2016
Onyochejohn:
it not every neibourghood that have drainage in nigeria! Chanelling it else where can disturb others, there are truck bult for the purpose to evacuate it whenever it filled, mine is in its 5th years now! It never full, it cost like 6 or 7k for soakaway evacuation
6 or 7k to evacuate soakaway, which state do u reside

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by Frankiss44(m): 7:37am On Jul 02, 2016
jeftalene:

Thanks for your observation but why not consider it from the perspective that it is better and even cheaper the government or public waste managers treat waste or foul water from main drains at a collection points before emptying them into existing water bodies. Decentralising the cost and system of treating waste water to individual units/houses in a country like ours is obviously not a better Idea!
Now you see what informed the use of the word 'better' in my opinion.

In the end, let the statutory town planning regulations relating to waste water management be strictly adhered to.

You have a very valid point. But everything boils down to taxation. Government is not charity so for everything they do expect to be taxed. The question is are we ready as a people to accept more taxes to the list of our rising taxation?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 02, 2016
mu2sa2:
I'm talking from experience. In my new office anytime i opened the door i perceive this terrible stench . Air freshners weren't helpful. When I called the plumber he said the stench was due to the fact that the wash basin waste water pipe was connected to the toilet bowl pipe which connects to the septic tank.

The plumber does not know his job.

These things are seamless when handled by competent craftsmen in modern buildings. Discussing it on this forum makes little difference though..
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by jeftalene(m): 7:40am On Jul 02, 2016
jeftalene:

Thanks for your observation but why not consider it from the perspective that it is better and even cheaper the government or public waste managers treat waste or foul water from main drains at collection points before emptying them into existing water bodies. Decentralising the cost of treating waste water to individual units/houses in a country like ours is obviously not a better Idea!

There are systems that help you treat waste water before they are emptied into the drain. They are also cost effective to purchase, install and maintain. If household units can use these systems then the public drain will be safer, especially in flood prone areas.

Now you see what informed the use of the word 'better' in my opinion.

In the end, let the statutory town planning regulations relating to waste water management be strictly adhered to.
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by whitejulius81: 7:46am On Jul 02, 2016
That's not the function of soakaway..... Soakaway is meant to discharge water or cut off water from the septic thank, I mean water that you used to flush in the toilet not water from the kitchen and bath, that's why it do link with the septic thank. so therefore you can dig a separate soakaway like (very small) and run your pipe for kitchen and bath water into it. never run it into the main soakaway that meant to work with septic Tank.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by Frankiss44(m): 7:47am On Jul 02, 2016
seguno2:

Thanks sir.
However God won't help us. He does not need to as he gave us brains just like the oyinbos wey sabi use their own well.

What more can I say? Maybe he still needs to help us to utilise the brain he has blessed us with.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by mu2sa2: 7:51am On Jul 02, 2016
Naughtysite:

The plumber does not know his job.

These things are seamless when handled by competent craftsmen in modern buildings. Discussing it on this forum makes little difference though..
Maybe you are thinking of places with central sewage system, not our typical setting where the septic tank is right on your premises. In my case the first plumber did a shoddy job and another plumber corrected it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by MabraO: 7:52am On Jul 02, 2016
All of u saying he should channel it yo the nearest gutter are the ones killing the country den blame govt. how will u channel ur waste from inside ur house to the gutter govt constructed for flood?
And wen there is over flooding u start hearing people complain govt this govt that

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by stanisbaratheon: 7:58am On Jul 02, 2016
mbhs139:

Well, I think channelling into the gutter is the best way, because, that's why the gutter is there anyway. Channelling it into a septic tank or soakaway, as the case may be, for me, isn't economical and hygienic.

I beg to differ sir. The gutter is mainly for surface runoff and not for bathing water. Due to the high concentration of domestic waste water, it is advisable to channel it to a septic tank sokaway.

These things do smell you know?? And for that reason it is never hygienic

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by goonsmi: 7:58am On Jul 02, 2016
mbhs139:

Well, I think channelling into the gutter is the best way, because, that's why the gutter is there anyway. Channelling it into a septic tank or soakaway, as the case may be, for me, isn't economical and hygienic.

Channeling your waste water to the public gutter is a very very bad idea and its even a punishable offence in places like Lagos .

How can you think of disturbing the public with your waste water ? some of this waste water's odour ( especially kitchen water ) can be very offensive and its a crime against the public. Please desist from such a practice.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by seguno2: 7:59am On Jul 02, 2016
Frankiss44:
What more can I say? Maybe he still needs to help us to utilise the brain he has blessed us with.

I understand you, bro.
Our self-inflicted problems can be perplexing sometimes. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by joshkke(m): 8:00am On Jul 02, 2016
Good luck channelling to the gutter. We did that in my former house and it landed us in Sanitary court. You are looking at a hefty fine or even minor jail time if the magistrate is in a bad mood. undecidedGood luck channelling to the gutter. We did that in my former house and it landed us in Sanitary court. You are looking at a hefty fine or even minor jail time if the magistrate is in a bad mood.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by lonelydora: 8:01am On Jul 02, 2016
ChappyChase:

Septic tank my left balls!
Ogbeni channel the thing to the nearest gutter!

Are you an Ikwerre man?
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by erico2k2(m): 8:03am On Jul 02, 2016
seguno2:

Yeah, overhyped.
That is why most of us pray & fast then gather money to smuggle ourselves to the developed world, no be so?
Na so I can naked chest to say it with 15 yrs expirience grin
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by semitunde: 8:05am On Jul 02, 2016
Its not only wise, its required. We just don't follow standards in this country.

Your septic tank should also have a soakaway chamber; Channel it to the soak away. Its the section that takes liquid effluent from the septic tank.

Channelling directly to the water body can quickly pollute it (especially if a lot if people around same area do the same thing. Whereas the natural filtration process within the soil will be engaged if you channel to your soak away.

Some people however wrongly install a septic tank without the equally important soak away, necessitating such behaviour as you've suggested.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by erico2k2(m): 8:08am On Jul 02, 2016
goonsmi:

Channeling your waste water to the public gutter is a very very bad idea and its even a punishable offence in places like Lagos .

Even if these gutter is covered fru out?
All of our waters go into the drain same as what we have as gutters. Home waste is no hazardous to the environment. But industrial waste is.if all you are going to discharge is bio digraph be why worry? I'm not talking bout poo here

How can you think of disturbing the public with your waste water ? some of this waste water's odour ( especially kitchen water ) can be very offensive and its a crime against the public. Please desist from such a practice.
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by Barselonia(m): 8:09am On Jul 02, 2016
mufutau55:

You should have Septic Tank and Soakaway... people always call both soakaway which is a wrong term.

1. Septic Tank is for Poooo! (Feces from your toilet)
2. Soakaway is for Water waste from both bathroom, sinks, and Kitchen.

Hajji M.
And If I told you, you are wrong.......

septic tank And soakaway works together...
septic tank is ffor poo, accept..... there is a passage btw the septic And soakaway...
When thee septic fulll reach a level, the excess water start to move to the soakaaway...Which iis every it can be easily ddry offf

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by erico2k2(m): 8:09am On Jul 02, 2016
goonsmi:

Even if these gutter is covered fru out?
All of our waters go into the drain same as what we have as gutters. Home waste is no hazardous to the environment. But industrial waste is.if all you are going to discharge is bio digraph be why worry? I'm not talking bout poo here

How can that be?
So why do our waste water in the UK go to the drains?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by faridasr: 8:11am On Jul 02, 2016
idris4r83:
A friend advised me to run my bathroom pipes to my Soakaway I argued with him that it will full quickly and he argued back that it is the best way.

ideally you should have 2 compartments, a septic tank for solid waste and a soakaway for liquid waste. The soakaway is constructed with the sandcrete blocks turned to allow sippage of water to the soil(simply put the liquid waste is socked by the earth in the while solid waste is retained in septic tank to be evacuated when filled up).
pls dont listen to those saying you should discharge to drainages as they are meant for collection of surface water runoff like rain while bathroom water is foul water. the 2 are not the same.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by goonsmi: 8:14am On Jul 02, 2016
erico2k2:

How can that be?

There is a way the waste water are treated and channeled in the advanced countries but Nigerian own is terrible.

The foul odour from some people's waste water will even make you think they operate badly maintained mortuary.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by faridasr: 8:15am On Jul 02, 2016
MabraO:
All of u saying he should channel it yo the nearest gutter are the ones killing the country den blame govt. how will u channel ur waste from inside ur house to the gutter govt constructed for flood?
And wen there is over flooding u start hearing people complain govt this govt that

what about the odour from these drainages where all sorts of wastes are discharged. Naija na wa!!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by 0taPiaPia(m): 8:20am On Jul 02, 2016
ChappyChase:

Septic tank my left balls!
Ogbeni channel the thing to the nearest gutter!

This is why most part of LAGOS state (gutters)and its water bodies look blackish in colour and stink to high heavens.... for heavens sake the pit in every building is supposed to have two chambers.. the bigger one takes care of sewage (80%) and 20% is used for soakaway purposes... this ensures a clean and healthy environment... that how it's done down South..

note: the brick laying format of the soakaway is spaced like that of a generator room to allow the content dissipate so it doesn't get filled up..

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by seguno2: 8:24am On Jul 02, 2016
erico2k2:
How can that be?

Are the drains in the UK covered, centralised and treated?
Are many people EMPLOYED to work on those drains so that they are permanently clear and clean?
Do you know if that is the case in our own country?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by 0taPiaPia(m): 8:30am On Jul 02, 2016
mbhs139:

The gutter is meant to carry rain water off the streets and residents...

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by iPopAlomo(m): 8:41am On Jul 02, 2016
Frankiss44:

The gutter isn't there for you to channel your waste bathing water. The primary purpose of the gutter is to control flood when it rains. Most people that channel it to the gutter are mainly in rural region. You can't stay in Urban areas and be thinking of channeling your waste to a nearby gutter. It either goes straight to the soakaway or a septic tank. And to think of it, what is hygienic about channeling your waste to the gutter?

are Wells dug in a septic tank vicinity safe...?
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by faridasr: 8:45am On Jul 02, 2016
[quote author=mu2sa2 post=47123835]I'm talking from experience. In my new office anytime i opened the door i perceive this terrible stench . Air freshners weren't helpful. When I called the plumber he said the stench was due to the fact that the wash basin waste water pipe was connected to the toilet bowl pipe which connects to the septic tank. [/quot

Your plumber is dead wrong here. the reason for the stench is simply that one or both water traps are absent or not installed properly. pls do tell him to change the wash hand basin bottle trap and ur problem is solved. it doesnt cost more than 500 naira. if on the other hand a 'flexible bend' is used instead of a bottle trap, just bend it in such a way that some of the waste water from the basin will be trapped within the flexible bend. The trap is the part that connects the basin to the wall, located directly underneath the washhand basin.
Hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by faridasr: 8:49am On Jul 02, 2016
mu2sa2:
I'm talking from experience. In my new office anytime i opened the door i perceive this terrible stench . Air freshners weren't helpful. When I called the plumber he said the stench was due to the fact that the wash basin waste water pipe was connected to the toilet bowl pipe which connects to the septic tank.

Your plumber is dead wrong here. the reason for the stench is simply that one or both water traps are absent or not installed properly. pls do tell him to change the wash hand basin bottle trap and ur problem is solved. it doesnt cost more than 500 naira. if on the other hand a 'flexible bend' is used instead of a bottle trap, just bend it in such a way that some of the waste water from the basin will be trapped within the flexible bend. The trap is the part that connects the basin to the wall, located directly underneath the washhand basin.
Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by jjagz: 9:07am On Jul 02, 2016
I hope this doesn't get lost in the myriad of responses and the OP sees this.

What is classically done in our climes is to have one hole partitioned into 2 parts which are;

1) SEPTIC TANK: This is where toilet waste i.e faeces are flushed into. Bacteria (which is why it is called SEPTIC) decompose it into SLUDGE which settles and WATER which floats. This tank is usually made with concrete ate the bottom to prevent the sludge from getting into surrounding soil. At the top of this tank is a connection through a hole, pipe or whatever to the septic tank that allows water to drain into the soakaway pit if the water above the sludge becomes excessive. NEVER DIRECT WATER FROM SINKS OR BATHROOMS OR KITCHENS HERE BECAUSE THEY CONTAIN SOAP AND OTHER CHEMICALS THAT WILL INHIBIT THE BACTERIA AND THE SEPTIC TANK FILLS UP QUICKLY LEAVING YOU LITERALLY WITH BIG UNDECOMPOSED SHIT.

2) SOAKAWAY PIT: Which is what we call the whole set up at times. It is normally larger and the floor is left bare to allow water literally SOAK AWAY into the ground. Water from sinks, bathrooms, kitchen sinks etc should all come here, including the excess run off from the septic tank( remember from above). SIMILARLY TOILET WASTE SHOULD NOT BE DIRECTED HERE FOR THE SAME REASON IN CAPITAL LETTERS ABOVE.

I hope I have clarified and and not confused you more.

You're welcome.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by faridasr: 9:16am On Jul 02, 2016
jjagz:
I hope this doesn't get lost in the myriad of responses and the OP sees this.

What is classically done in our climes is to have one hole partitioned into 2 parts which are;

1) SEPTIC TANK: This is where toilet waste i.e faeces are flushed into. Bacteria (which is why it is called SEPTIC) decompose it into SLUDGE which settles and WATER which floats. This tank is usually made with concrete ate the bottom to prevent the sludge from getting into surrounding soil. At the top of this tank is a connection through a hole, pipe or whatever to the septic tank that allows water to drain into the soakaway pit if the water above the sludge becomes excessive. NEVER DIRECT WATER FROM SINKS OR BATHROOMS OR KITCHENS HERE BECAUSE THEY CONTAIN SOAP AND OTHER CHEMICALS THAT WILL INHIBIT THE BACTERIA AND THE SEPTIC TANK FILLS UP QUICKLY LEAVING YOU LITERALLY WITH BIG UNDECOMPOSED SHIT.

2) SOAKAWAY PIT: Which is what we call the whole set up at times. It is normally larger and the floor is left bare to allow water literally SOAK AWAY into the ground. Water from sinks, bathrooms, kitchen sinks etc should all come here, including the excess run off from the septic tank( remember from above). SIMILARLY TOILET WASTE SHOULD NOT BE DIRECTED HERE FOR THE SAME REASON IN CAPITAL LETTERS ABOVE.

I hope I have clarified and and not confused you more.

You're welcome.

If i understand you well then you are implying there will be 2 inspection chambers for every toilet to separate the poo from other foul water? I am confused. pls educate me.
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by segcymoor(m): 9:17am On Jul 02, 2016
No
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by faridasr: 9:25am On Jul 02, 2016
if all wastes collected from a toilet pass thru an inspection chamber, where then do you separate the 2 to discharge one to septic tank and the other to soakaway. pls last 2 commentators should educate. dont just say NO.
Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by Yongoldman: 9:39am On Jul 02, 2016
nastyesco:
U can bath on sand in the backyard instead!!! grin
Sick grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anambra Man Builds House For Poor Widow, Dedicates It After Completion. Photos / Construction Of Six Flats Of 2-bedroom With Three Shops. / Stop Putting Gas Cylinders Inside Kitchens, Burns Expert Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.